Love Waits

Not Even After A Hundred Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Many things are bound to change after a hundred years.

                Sooyoung witnessed that very first-hand, crossing the 20th century to the 21st century without a wrinkle on her… the benefits of being a vampire. She saw how fashion changed through the decades, how technology improved and everything else. At first, it seemed like only vampires stayed the same. But she was wrong. Nothing stayed the same, even vampires. It was what her encounter with Wu Fan, Kris or whoever he was taught her. Appearances didn’t change but apparently, everything else does including to whom a dead heart could beat for.

                She kept her face composed; frozen that way to keep any emotion from crossing her face as she stood in front of a modern looking home. All she could do was wonder how the owners of the house would react if she told them that her own house used to stand where their home was and that she lived there one hundred years ago. They would probably call her crazy, call the police, whatever.

                It was almost like her heart was beating again for she felt all the pain, anguish, sadness and anger as she gazed at the house, remembering her family and how they were taken away from her. Though a vampire didn’t tend to remember much about her human life, she managed to carry their memory with her through her transition, etching them in her mind and heart for the rest of eternity. If those memories weren’t enough to kill her inside, she carried her human memories of Wu Fan with her too. It was unbearable and she had no choice but to live with it – she had forever to figure out what to do anyway.

                Taking one last glance at where her home used to stand, she moved faster than what the eye could see; the brunette beauty soon standing amongst the trees of the forest behind it. It was just like how she remembered it to be, probably except for the fact that a couple of trees were cut off here and there. It looked different like everything else. She hadn’t been there for a hundred years and yet it made her feel the same way it did the last time she was there – the feeling of a broken heart.

“Soo, it’s me.”

                She closed her eyes, internally cursing herself for not feeling another presence near her. Was fate really screwing up with her? She would know that voice anywhere and anytime and the fact that he was saying the exact first words he said to her that night shot pain through her. With her face as composed as it was earlier, she slowly turned around and found herself face to face with whoever Wu Fan was now.

“You’re done pretending now?” Her voice was stiff; her eyes narrowed into slits.

Kris kept himself composed as well though his eyes had a hard look in them. “I had my reasons. My coven doesn’t know who you are. I had to…”

“Keep up appearances?” Sooyoung snapped.

“Don’t be like that.” The blonde frowned. “It’s just… they don’t know about you and me… and 1913.”

“They don’t know that you fell in love with a human who is now just like you? Great.” She laughed sarcastically. “I didn’t know my life is such a perfect case for Nancy Drew.”

The other vampire pressed his lips into a thin line. “What happened?”

“Many things happened in a hundred years.” She put her hands on her hips; her long wavy brown hair cascading down her shoulders as the moonlight illuminated her beautifully. “You need to be more specific than that.”

“How did you end up… like me?”

It was almost like he was afraid to ask and that didn’t go by unnoticed by her. “Do you want a detailed account or a condensed version of it, Kris-ssi?”

A flash of hurt crossed his face in a split second before it disappeared. “I have forever.”

Sooyoung smiled bitterly. “So do I…”

“Did that Changmin guy turn you?” He nearly snarled as he forced himself to say the name.

“I thought you wanted the detailed version? Changmin oppa doesn’t come in until later in the story.” She walked around; her movements making her look like she was dancing instead until she found a tree trunk to sit on. “So where do we start? Ah, yes… the night you left me here.”

Wu Fan didn’t make any move to sit down. Instead, he remained standing with his hands in the pockets of his jeans, looking like a perfectly carved statue. Sooyoung spared him a glance before staring a pointedly at a random tree. “Finding you became my obsession. I had every intention on rebelling against my family – the only people who really loved me and cared for me – just to find you. I wanted to tell you that I didn’t care that you’re a vampire… that I love you regardless.”

His stance stiffened but his face remained calm. “Did you rebel?”

“I didn’t have a chance to.” The brunette vampire could no longer keep the pain and sadness from showing on her beautiful face; her eyes shifting to the direction of her old home. “The Japanese showed up in our house one night, trying to take us. Appa fought so hard to save us… but he was bayonetted to death right before our very eyes. The Japanese took us with them and I was separated from unnie and umma. That was the last time I ever saw them.”

“I’m so sorry…”

“Everyone says that… even if they will never understand how much it hurts.” She shook her head. “On my first night as a Japanese captive I knew that if I stayed there, I’d only end up getting and murdered. I found a way out... but freedom didn’t last long for me. The Japanese chased me and I got shot – thrice.”

His eyes were wide now; a look of utter shock and pain on his face. “What… Sooyoung…”

“I fell and I heard them heading my way to check if I really was dead. I played dead, hoping that I’d survive even if could feel that I was already about to die. Then, I heard a deep growl and the soldiers ran away. I thought it was you. I thought you came back for me, to save me like I thought you would.” She shook her head bitterly; a pained smile on her lips and tears welled in her eyes as she got up from the tree trunk. “It was Changmin oppa… and to answer your question, yes. He was the one who turned me.”

He was visibly seething now. “If I’d known…”

Sooyoung let out a snarl, facing him and crouching as if she was ready to pounce any moment. “That’s the problem, isn’t it? You weren’t there! You ran from me! I needed you the most and you weren’t there!”

The blonde vampire lowered his head in shame. “I’m so sorry…”

“Why are you here?” Her voice softened a touch, sounding almost unsure. “You practically shoved me away in front of our covens, denyin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter