Ulzzang

Pretty Boy Romance

Ulzzang -- It became familiar with the term when I first got a Cyworld homepage. I saw them everywhere, the It boys and girls of Korea effortlessly taking selcas seeming ever so flawless and... well, perfect. I used to dream about being an Ulzzang. With their big eyes and unique looks, I couldn't imagine there being someone who didn't want to be like them.

....And then I realized it was all fake.

All those years thinking about it and being jealous of their natural charm went down the drain the moment I discovered Photoshop and Haduri. None of it was real. I didn't know whether I should have been mad about the truth or if I should have embraced it, knowing fully well that true perfection didn't really exist. Ulzzangs are famous for their editing skills, not for who they really are.

It's a shame.

"Choi Saeji." The elderly woman at the front desk called my name for the next slot in today's audition.

Another shame in this world is that you need to audition to be noticed. And by auditioning, the labels "Narcissist" and "Egotistic" come to mind.

I stood up, clutching my portfolio to my chest. Modeling in Asia wasn't the easiest. Especially when the girls you're competing with all seem beautiful. It was a war. A battle using only cat claws, stilettos, and steeze. This is a crazy business.

Opening the door slowly, I gave way to another girl who ran right passed me with puffy eyes and red cheeks.

Women's intuition just said that her audition didn't go very well.

"You can come in." A husky middle-aged man with glassed instructed me.

I slipped into the room quietly and bowed. "Anyeonghaseyo."

The woman beside the man held her hand out, motioning towards my portfolio. I handed it to her without hesitation.

"Choi Saeji?"

I nodded.

"Where did you come from?"

"Busan. I just recently moved to Seoul within this year." I added with a smile.

The woman did not show any recognition of my cheerfulness but instead continued to look through my pictures.

"Height?" The man abruptly asked.

"Um. 150cm."

"Um?" The woman interrupted. "You don't know your own height?"

"No, no! I mean, I do--"

"Please show us your talent." The man sighed, changing the subject.

I cleared my throat, mentally preparing myself for my part. If there was something I could be confident in, it would be my voice. I knew I could sing. If I was wrong, then I don't know what I've been hearing all my life.

"Nuna neomu yepposo, just when I thought I could go, my heart is lost, and you're pulling me back again. Wishing on a falling star, wish I could be where you are--"

The doors behind the desk of judges flew open.

"Cheusonghamnida!" A man, or boy, walked in. He looked too old to be a boy but too young to be a man. His skin was pale, the same shaded color gleaming through his suit. He bowed towards the judges who looked at him with question.

"You're late, Taejun-sshi."

"I was caught in traffic." Taejun bowed. "How many auditions did I miss?" He took the empty seat at the end of the table.

"The first five." The man replied. "This is the sixth. Choi Saeji. Singing is her talent." The man honestly sounded like he had a million other places to be. You'd think that they'd be asking more questions, but no. I'm stuck here singing while my judges don't even look at me. How comforting.

Taejun looked at me. For the first time, I actually recognized who he was. Park Taejun, the legend.

Omo.

I contained myself.

"Mianheyo, Ms. Choi. Please continue." He requested with a smile.

I opened my mouth but was interrupted by further protest.

"Actually, Ms. Choi, you might want to invest in some plastic surgery." The woman suddenly said.

I gleamed at her, processing every word and syllable she had just directed towards me. Plastic surgery?

"Ahjumma--"

"If you want to be famous, it's going to have to be done." She made eye contact with me.

I'd never really burst in front of someone before, showing my full anger, but now seemed like the appropriate time.

"Ma'am, if that were the case, you'll never make it anywhere." I shook my head.

Narrowing her eyes, she continued, "Excuse me?"

"If this industry has to change me just to bring me forward, then I don't want to be a part of it."

I grabbed my portfolio, still in her hands, and sped back out the door, whipping out my phone as fast as I could. Why did I just do that?! I could've just agreed! No questions asked! I could've been on a plane to America by next week! AJKGFAKJDHGALKDH ME AND MY MOUTH WHY.

"Yeoboseyo?" A calm voice on the other end of the line answered.

"Jiho Oppa?" I spoked with a trembling voice. "Can you pick me up now?"

"Yah! How did the audition go?" He asked instead.

"Oppa, aneyo! Just come and get me right now!"

+++

Just a starter. Thoughts? n_n