Step Two: Befriending Sunggyu (Part 1)

From Broken Hearts to Heartbreaker

Woohyun trudged into his bedroom, exhausted after his first day at his new school. He hated being the new kid at school- especially in this case because he started at his new school later than everybody else. When he showed up, they had already been in school for a couple of weeks, making him stand out more than he had wanted. What Woohyun really wanted to do after-school was sleep for the next couple of hours, but he knew if he didn't call Key and Jonghyun with updates on how his plan to take down Sunggyu were advancing, they'd kill him. Literally.

Woohyun went through his contacts on his phone, found Key's number, and pressed call. He knew to never call Jonghyun because he always loses his phone, not that it mattered anyway because he practically shared one with Key. The more Woohyun thought about it, the more he realized that he really treasured the relationship he had with Key and Jonghyun. He had met them on the first day of his new school after moving away from Seoul. Nobody had really accepted Woohyun when he first arrived. Sure, they were very friendly to him, they just didn't want to be friends with him. Probably because of Woohyun's attitude. He was in a state of depression and mourning the lost friendship with his best friend and first love Sunggyu, as well as still distraught and humiliated from Sunggyu's actions. Key had come up to him, telling him bluntly that nobody wanted to be friends with Woohyun because they thought he was suicidal and crazy. It was then Woohyun knew that he had to let go of Sunggyu and start anew, but he still couldn't get rid of the sorrowful feeling. It was a strange friendship he had with Key and his best friend Jonghyun, it seemed as if at first they actually enjoyed him talking about how Sunggyu humiliated him. He later found out that Key and Jonghyun were actually dating, and they were proud to let the whole school know that they were, in fact, gay. It was a totally new concept to Woohyun, highlighting your differences, and it was their pride that attracted him to them. The only ones who knew he was gay at his new school were Key and Jonghyun, so everyone else said he was "just that straight kid who hangs out with that openly gay couple." They didn't have names, just labels. That was the horrible thing about high school, being stripped of your individual identity and being grouped as something else like "the nerds", "the populars" or just "the average people", yet not having a label somehow seemed worse.

"Wooie!" Key exclaimed as he answered the phone, bringing Woohyun back to reality.

"Is that really Woohyun?" Woohyun heard Jonghyun ask on the other line.

"Yes, it's Woohyun," Key said to his boyfriend, "What? Do you think I just randomly pick up my phone and yell our best friend's name in it?"

"You've done it before," Jonghyun pointed out.

"Oh my gosh, that was one time!" Key said. "And I really thought he was calling."

"Maybe it's because you were drunk," Jonghyun said.

Woohyun instantly felt better, and smiled to himself. He really did love his best friends, they were one of the best things that has ever happened to him. They helped him through his stage of depression and made his life actually really fun.

"Hey guys," Woohyun said, still smiling.

"Oh my gosh, it really is him!" Jonghyun exclaimed, "Nam Woohyun we miss you so much! I hope you're kicking some Kim Sunggyu ."

"Not literally though," Key said, "Emotional and mental pain hurts more and lasts longer than physical pain."

"Of course," Woohyun said, knowing how true the statement was from personal experience.

"Anyway, how did it go? Do you recognize everybody? Do they recognize you? Who are your new friends? Are you the uber hot guy now? How-"

"One question at a time," Woohyun said, chuckling as he interrupted Key. "It went okay, nothing too good or too bad. I recognize only a handful of people. A lot of them have changed drastically and a lot of them are also new, and no, they don't recognize me. My friends are these guys named Kim Myungsoo, Lee Sungjong, and Lee Sungyeol... I guess I'm part of the popular people now. I wouldn't necessarily call myself the uber hot guy. That title probably goes to Myungsoo."

"What about that Sunggyu guy? You talked to him, right?" Jonghyun asked.

"Not really," Woohyun said, "Myungsoo introduced us but it didn't go anywhere after that. Actually, Myungsoo has this rule that I'm not supposed to befriend Sunggyu."

"Oh really?" Key asked, and the strange thing was he actually sounded cheerful.

"Yes, why do you sound happy about that?" Woohyun asked.

"Well, this makes it awesome, you can meet in secret," Key said.

"Meet in secret?" Woohyun asked.

"Yes, meet in secret," Jonghyun said, "Sounds ."

"Everything sounds to you," Key said to Jonghyun. "And he wants to humiliate Sunggyu, not sleep with him."

"Woohyun's not going to get the d?" Jonghyun asked. "Prude."

Woohyun just rolled his eyes. He loved his friends to death, but they were strange to say the least.

"Anyway," Woohyun said. "On a more serious note, I'm pretty sure my next step is to befriend him so I can get secrets or things to use against him."

"Sounds exciting!" Key exclaimed, "You have to report back to us every little detail!"

"Trust me," Woohyun said as he smiled, "Everything is going to go perfectly."


"So," Myungsoo said to Woohyun the next day at lunch, "What do you think of Sunggyu and his friends?"

Woohyun wondered if this was a trick question. Myungsoo had told him the day before that he should never befriend Sunggyu, and Woohyun knew about the enmity Myungsoo had towards Sunggyu- so why was he asking? Maybe it was a test. Maybe Myungsoo was making sure that Woohyun really had what he wanted in a friend.

"I hate them," Woohyun said, and the good thing about that statement was that it was true and he didn't have to lie about it.

Myungsoo seemed skeptical at first, but then Woohyun kept going.

"Who does Sunggyu think he is?" Woohyun asked, "I have him in one of my classes, and he acts like he's better than everyone (true), his friend Dongwoo seems like a very strange idiot (also, true) and Hoya has a stick up his (double true)."

Myungsoo gave a small laugh as he nodded, "That's exactly what I think about all of them as well. I feel like Hoya will jump me one day."

"He scares me," Woohyun said. "I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure he hates me."

"You know, Woohyun," Myungsoo said as he studied his friend, "At first I wasn't sure about letting you be in our group, but I have to say, I think I like you more than Sungjong and Sungyeol combined."

"Really?" Woohyun asked. Myungsoo had only known this new Woohyun for only two days and he's saying he likes him more than the friends he's had for years. It was odd.

"Yeah," Myungsoo said, looking away from Woohyun as he motioned they walk down the hall, "Don't get me wrong- they're really awesome and I couldn't imagine not being friends with them, but they aren't like me. They don't get me like you do."

"What do you mean?" Woohyun asked, still confused.

"You and I, I can tell we aren't that different," Myungsoo said, "We're both attractive and cocky people. We can do so much together. Sungyeol and Sungjong are too nice."

"Too nice?" Woohyun asked, signaling Myungsoo to continue.

"Well, yeah," Myungsoo said," Sungyeol will go with anything I propose, and he doesn't think for himself. It's as if he likes me- it's weird. And Sungjong just wants everybody to like him."

Woohyun just nodded. Sungyeol did like Myungsoo, and he didn't know if he had a great gaydar or if it was just completely obvious, but it was a fact. And Sungjong did latch himself onto Woohyun when they first met. Woohyun was actually glad that Myungsoo preferred Woohyun over his other friends-  he didn't know exactly how, but he knew that it would make his plan so much stronger.

"Myungsoo, I have an idea," Woohyun said, turning towards his friend.

"What is it?" Myungsoo asked, interested.

"Let's bring Sunggyu down," Woohyun said, a mischievous grin forming on his face.

"What did you have in mind?" Myungsoo asked excitedly.

"Let me befriend him, and find a way to break him down," Woohyun said as Myungsoo frowned. "I mean, pretend to be friends with him, create a bond, and then break him down through something I like to call humiliation."

"Sounds evil," Myungsoo said as he smiled. "We should write this down."

"Yes, just let me get my notebook," Woohyun said as he reached into his backpack, but he couldn't find it anywhere. "Crap, I left my notebook in English, I have to go get it, I'll be right back," Woohyun said as he rushed off to get his notebook.

"No problem," Myunsoo mumbled as Woohyun ran from him.

Woohyun got to the English classroom quickly after dodging clusters of people. After he walked into the classroom he saw his red notebook on his desk right where he left it. He wasted no time as he rushed to grab his notebook off of his desk and then out of the classroom back to Myungsoo so he didn't have to endure an awkward conversation with his English teacher Mr. Lau.

Woohyun walking back towards Myungsoo, thinking about their previous conversation. If Myungsoo and Woohyun were best friends, and Woohyun befriended Sunggyu, he could somehow occupy and/or distract Sunggyu so that Myungsoo would win the title as being the smartest. He could also tell secrets that Sunggyu tells him to Myungsoo- Woohyun knew that Myungsoo was nefarious enough to come up with something creative.

All of a sudden, Woohyun ran right into something, or someone. He dropped his notebook, "Gosh, watch where you're going," Woohyun mumbled angrily.

He looked up and saw the one person he was not expecting- Sunggyu.

"Oh, Sunggyu," Woohyun said, opening his mouth to say something else, but what could he say. "Uh... I'm sorry. I didn't know it was you."

Sunggyu cocked his eyebrow up as he looked at Woohyun questionably.

"I mean, I thought you were uh... Yongguk," Woohyun said quickly.

"Yongguk," Sunggyu said, not believing a word Woohyun was saying.

"Yeah, he doesn't like me," Woohyun said as he lowered his voice as he kept going on with his lie, "I'm pretty sure he's after me."

"Mmmm," Sunggyu hummed, opening his mouth to say something else, "Woohyun, I've been wanting to talk to you. I-"

"Oh my! Woohyun, are you okay?" A girl's voice asked. Woohyun looked behind him and saw Taeyeon and Tiffany from his calculus class rushing towards him.

"I'm fine," Woohyun said.

"That's good," Tiffany said as she picked up his notebook for him, "There you go, Woohyun!"

"Thanks Tiffany," Woohyun said as he took his notebook back from her.

"Oh my, he's so cute," Taeyeon said to Tiffany as they giggled together.

Woohyun looked back towards Sunggyu to hear what he had to say, but it was too late- Sunggyu had already left.


Another chapter! Hopefully I get more time to update because it's Summer now!

Thank you to all who are supporting this story! And thank you to the commenters! I love you all <3