Coming Home

Flowers of The War

Gun, check

Combat knife, check

Water, check

Dog tags, check

Gummy bears, check

Luhan had everything he needed for their next mission. He quickly placed everything in his green backpack and placed it on the floor. Just as he was about to walk out of the tent he remembered something he forgot to put in his backpack. The last letters he had received from his mom, before she passed. She was the only thing Luhan had before coming to the war. He heard of her passing when he received a call from the base back home. He had known his mom was sick but he hoped to see her when he got home. Those letters were all he had, so he carried them everywhere. Luhan had no one, until Sehun was drafted. Luhan smiled at the thought and quickly put the letters in a safe spot inside his backpack. He stepped out of his tent while quickly slipping his plain white t-shirt on. He saw Sehun filling his canteens with water. Luhan walked over and patted Sehun’s back.

“Almost ready?” Luhan asked.

“Yeah, just taking some extra water along” Sehun replied. He put the lid on and placed it inside his backpack.

“I heard this one’s going to be long” Luhan said looking at the ground.

“Nothing we can’t handle right?” Sehun smiled softly at Luhan. He quickly grabbed Luhan in a chokehold and dragged him over to his tent, both of them laughing. They both sat inside Sehun’s tent and played cards. As soon as it got dark they decided to stop playing.  

“Hey want to listen to music before going to sleep?” Sehun asked pulling out his iPod. Luhan nodded and slipped one of the earphones in his ear. They always listened to music whenever they got nervous about a mission or felt homesick. They would just lay there and not talk to each other, they would just listen to the music. Those were the times they were most thankful to have each other. They both slowly closed their eyes, not noticing that the music had stopped playing.

“Goodnight Sehun” Luhan softly whispered before drifting off to sleep.

“Night” Sehun murmured just before passing out.

*    *    *

The sound of heavy boots hitting the surface of the earth was heard between themselves. The soldiers were walking stealthily through the field of dried up grass, their faces glowing from the sweat, dirty from the slight dust in the air. Their equipment was making it harder to keep going, but they had to keep going. They had to arrive at the location of their mission. Two particular men were falling behind. Suddenly one collapsed to the ground.

"Luhan!" Sehun shouted leaning down to pick him up. "Come on, get up. Were almost there. Don't give up yet"

Luhan groaned, but he slowly stood up.

"Here drink some water" Sehun reached for his canteen and leaned it towards Luhan's lips, but Luhan moved it away.

"No that's yours. You'll need it" Luhan used Sehun's hand for support while he stood up. Sehun put Luhan's arm over his shoulder.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I just don't want you to collapse again" Sehun handed Luhan his canteen. Luhan finally took it and gulped the water down.

"Thank you. What would I do without you?" Luhan smiled at Sehun and handed the canteen back. Sehun hanged it on his backpack and continued walking.

After a while they caught up with the rest of the group. They had reached the forest where they were more safe now so they decided to rest for a while. Sehun placed Luhan by a tree and let him rest there.

"I'll get us some water okay" Sehun walked over to the rest of the group where they were all thirstily drinking water and eating snacks they had brought along. Sehun and the lieutenant always took turns bringing a small gallon of water to share with each other. This time it had been the lieutenant's turn.

"How's he doing?" Lieutenant Kim Jongin asked

"He'll be fine. Just a bit dehydrated." That's what Sehun always said. Luhan seemed to be getting weaker every time they made a long trip and Lt. Jongin had noticed.

"We still have a long way to go. And this path doesn't exactly seem easy going." Lt. Jongin said looking at the path ahead of them

"I know. He'll be fine, I know he can make it. Besides, our service is almost over. Only a whole month left... and we can go home"

Sehun's eyes softened at the thought of home. He'd finally be able to leave the terrors of war behind. Forget everything and live normally again. And this time, he'd be able to take someone with him. He'd met Luhan at the camp he was sent to. Once he saw him they instantly clicked. They enjoyed being around each other and they helped each other out. They brought each other comfort, a sense of home. They had agreed that once their service was over, they'd rent their own apartment and just be there for each other, just like at war.

"I think you'll both pull through" Lt. Jongin told Sehun placing a hand on his shoulder. Sehun nodded and walked back to Luhan. He handed Luhan the small gallon.

"Thanks. Did lieutenant Jongin say something about me again?" Luhan asked a little embarrassed.

"He was just making sure you're okay" Sehun tried comforting him.

"I feel bad for holding you and the whole group back. I'm just tired..." Luhan's voice trailed off.

"We're all tired. And you're not holding anyone back. I won't let you give up" Sehun patted Luhan's head and smiled at him. After about two minutes everyone turned their heads towards Lt. Jongin.

"Time to start packing up guys. We still have a decent amount of ground to cover before it gets dark." Everyone quickly started putting their things away and preparing themselves to start walking again. That day had been particularly hotter than the others which made the journey even more dreadful. Sehun put his hands through the backpack straps and helped Luhan put his on as well.

"You ready?" Sehun looked at Luhan

"Ready." Luhan replied

They all started walking together through the trees and tall grass. Sehun and Luhan walked amongst the others this time. Usually they’d all be making jokes or having conversations but they tried keeping quiet this time, since they weren’t exactly far from the enemy. Their mission was simple, get some information on what the enemy was doing, or what their next move would be, then go back to camp. Unfortunately it wasn’t as easy as it sounded. Many had gotten hurt on mission’s like this before. After a while Lt. Jongin silently spoke to the soldiers.

“Okay guys, we’re at least at a 20 mile radius from the enemy camp. Keep low and stay quiet while we search for our hide out” They all walked while slouching their backs slightly. Sehun looked behind him to check on Luhan. He gave him a thumbs up and Sehun continued walking. Suddenly someone shouted which made everyone look up.

“GET BACK THE WHOLE PLACE IS MINED!”

No one knows how he knew but the next thing they heard was explosions coming from all around them and the screams of their friends. They were the unlucky ones. They were at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Everyone started running back towards the direction they had come from. The ground was shaking underneath them. Sehun ran as fast as he could only looking ahead of him, he thought he would never escape the hell he was in. He then remembered Luhan and reached his hand out behind him to pull him next to him. He quickly glanced back and saw that he was running alone. He tripped over a tree trunk and twisted his ankle. Normally he would’ve screamed in pain, but he felt nothing. He quickly stumbled back up.

“LUHAN!” He yelled at the top of his lungs. He started running back. He couldn’t leave Luhan behind. He needed him to be safe, to be next to him when they went home. He ran as fast as he could shouting out Luhan’s name, desperately hoping for a reply. He looked left and right, searching for the small boy. He stopped to gasp for air. In the distance he heard a couple mines still going off. He rubbed his forehead covering it in dirt. He winced in pain, his ankle was killing him but he didn’t care. All he could think of was finding Luhan.

“LUHAN” He yelled out once more. Suddenly he heard a groan to his left. He held his breath and turned his head. “Luhan?” he said out loud

“Sehun...” he heard his faint voice. He quickly ran toward the noise.

There he was, laying by a bush, covered in dirt and blood. He no longer had both of his legs. Sehun looked away and breathed out. It pained him to see Luhan liked this. He took his backpack off and went over to him and lifted his head up with his arm. He had to save Luhan but they were so far from their camp, and he needed the radio to communicate with base. He looked around but he didn’t see his his comrade who usually carries it.

“Sehun...” Luhan spoke again. Sehun looked down at him. “Leave, save yourself. You can’t die.” Luhan coughed up blood.

“No I can’t leave you, Luhan. I can’t” Sehun started to tear up. “We have to go home remember. We were going to live together, travel, eat our favorite foods, read our favorite books, watch our favorite movies” Sehun started choking on his words and sobbing uncontrollably.

“I know. But it’s too late now, there’s no way I’ll make it. Sehun just save yourself, you have a family to go to, people who are waiting for you. I have no one” Luhan’s voice was becoming weaker.

“I don’t care about anyone but you. I want you to come home with me” Sehun pushed his forehead against Luhan’s letting his tears fall on his face.

“Promise me  you will go home Sehun” Luhan spoke softly, his eyes closed. He was sad that he wouldn’t be able to go with Sehun, but there was nothing he could do. He was thankful that he had met him in the first place. That he had given him hope of actually having a life and being someone after the war. That was the best thing that Sehun had given him. He loved Sehun and he would always have a special place in his heart.  Sehun kept sobbing.

“I promise” Sehun managed to choke out. He hugged Luhan accepting the fact that there was nothing he could do to save him. This was the last time he would hear his sweet soft voice, see that perfect pale skin, look at those light brown eyes, feel his smooth brown hair. He listened to his soft breathing once more until he couldn’t hear it anymore. He lifted his head up and looked at Luhan.

“Luhan?” Sehun shaked him. “Luhan please. You can’t leave me like this.” Sehun’s tears kept falling.

Suddenly the footsteps of about four soldiers was heard.

“Is anyone there?” Lt Jongin whispered. The sound of Sehun crying lead them toward him. They all saw the horrible picture. Everyone knew Sehun and Luhan had become really close and it pained them to see Sehun like this. They all turned their heads except Lt. Jongin who walked over to Sehun.

“Sehun, we have to go. We’re in danger, more lives could be lost. We’ve already contacted base, c’mon you can carry Luhan to where the chopper will land.”

Sehun had ran out of tears. He obeyed his lieutenant and picked Luhan up. He would make sure that Luhan got the proper burial that he deserved. His fellow soldiers helped him by carrying his backpack. The chopper landed not too far from where the attack had taken place. Sehun held Luhan tightly not being able to let go. They gave him a couple seconds before taking his body away. Sehun spoke to Luhan’s dead body.

“Luhan, I’m sorry I couldn’t save you and I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you that I love you.” Sehun stared at the his now cold body. He took off Luhan’s dog tags and put them around his own neck. He remembered the letters from Luhan’s mother and quickly pulled them out of his backpack. “I promise I’ll go home” Sehun hugged Luhan’s body one last time and pecked Luhan’s lips. He finally handed his body over to the paramedics, feeling emptiness take over his body. He watched as the chopper took off.

“I’m sorry” That was all Lt. Jongin could say. But it was a little comforting. Sehun limped over to the tent that they had set up for the time being. He took a look at his ankle. It was swollen and purple. He started feeling the pain now, it felt awful. Not as bad as losing Luhan though. One of the soldiers who had survived named, Kyungsoo, walked over to him. Sehun had never really talked to him, but he knew he was a kind guy.

“Here let me help” Kyungsoo pulled out some ice and put it on his ankle. Sehun flinched at the touch of the cold bag but he let Kyungsoo help.

“Thank you” Sehun mumbled.

“No problem” Kyungsoo smiled at him. “Why don’t you hold this while I go grab a bandage.” Sehun held the ice pack in place and Kyungsoo walked away. Sehun couldn’t stop thinking about Luhan, and how he wished it was him that had gone instead of Luhan. Kyungsoo walked back with an ace bandage in hand.

“Let me see. I’ll wrap it in this and then hopefully the swelling will go down” Kyungsoo rolled out the bandage and wrapped it around Sehun’s ankle and foot with care.

“Thank you, I appreciate it” Sehun finally said after Kyungsoo finished.

“Don’t worry about it. Maybe at night if the swelling doesn’t go down put some more ice” Kyungsoo smiled softly and then walked away. He didn’t bring up Luhan. He didn’t want to. He had seen how Sehun was when they found him, there was nothing to say.

 

Sehun lay down in his tent. He just stared at the top of the tent while fiddling with Luhan’s dog tags. He was also holding the letters from Luhan’s mother. He had never read them before, they were really personal to Luhan and besides, they were in Chinese and Sehun couldn’t read Chinese. He opened the letter and looked at the handwriting with a small flashlight. It looked like his mother had written them with lots of love. She folded every one neatly and wrote a lot in all of them. Sehun couldn’t stand being alone in his tent anymore, he couldn’t stand the emptiness or the loneliness. He placed the letters down and looked through his backpack. He had not found what he was looking for. He quietly ped his tent and walked out limping. He slipped on his jacket, it was cool outside. He saw what he was looking for. He walked over to Kyungsoo’s tent and picked up his sniper. It was Kyungsoo’s favorite and best weapon of choice. Sehun was never good at using it but in this case he didn’t care. He went towards the path that they had gone on earlier. It wasn’t as far but it was still a long journey. What he was about to do was probably illegal and it could get him in trouble if caught, but Sehun wasn’t planning on getting caught.

After walking for 30 minutes, Sehun finally spot the enemy campsite. He quickly lied down on a large boulder under him and looked through the scope. Moving the cross and aiming it on a man who was walking around. He held the gun steadily, breathed out and then pulled the trigger. The man dropped on the floor. Sehun saw others looking at him and starting to panic. He started shooting others around him, tears falling down his cheeks. He hated them, every single one of them for taking Luhan away from him. He wanted them gone. The men were gathering their guns and searching for where the bullets were coming from.

“It’s time” Sehun said.

He put the sniper down and reached into his jacket pulling out his M-16. He then jumped down from the boulder and started walking toward the campsite. He grasped Luhan’s dog tags in his hand. As he got close he lifted his gun up, rage filled his eyes. He ran in screaming and shooting everyone he saw. The men were shocked and also shot back. Sehun was shot multiple times but he wouldn’t fall, until he ran out of bullets and finally let himself collapse. The enemy soldiers were shocked, they had no idea what had just happened. They searched the area for other soldiers but saw no one.

Sehun held the dog tags tighter. Tears were falling down his face. He couldn’t feel the pain from the bullets, he was numb. He started to see black. He slowly closed his eyes before whispering,


Luhan... I’m coming home.”

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading. I know it wasn't even that good, but thank you anyway :D