ANDANTE-THE ONE WITH THE MIRRORED FATES

MAGES AND MUSES

 

MING

ANDANTE- THE ONE WITH THE MIRRORED FATES-1
 
 

Ancient Goryeo, 920 A.D


The young Mage swiftly mounted his horse when he heard news of the Prince going missing. Terror and panic spread within his chest, fearing that something horrible might have occurred to his charge.

Quickly, letting the wind guide him to the absent Prince, he summoned his staff from the netherworld. The long wooden object inscribed with ancient engravings from top to bottom- now glowed with the Mage’s powers as they flowed through the crafted staff from his Spiritual energy. Made from a thousand-year old oak tree, it contained a translucent orb embedded on top, created from the Mage’s life force. 


Merging his energy with the staff, the rush of power gave the orb a blood red glow, leading him and his horse to track the whereabouts of the Prince. 

“Just wait until I find you, my young Prince,” angrily, he muttered beneath his breath. 


~ ~ ~

Now, the young Prince of Goryeo, Han Yeun-Ho, was just a fifteen year-old boy. On the eve of his father’s birthday he grew tired of the endless festivities- and so he ran off into the deepest ends of the Forest to seek out an adventure. 

Cheerfully he climbed the farthest point of a birch tree. Reaching the very , he smiled in triumph and slithered down with utmost care due his burning palms. His royal robes were now a mess, but he could care less. He let go of his royal manners and moral codes. 

Happy and full of merriment he continued his exploration of the Dark Forest. For him this adventure was much more interesting than attending his father’s banquet. 

At fifteen years old, he was still young and naïve. Despite all of his training and studies he wanted freedom from his secular Princely life. He felt it was unfair to be treated like a fragile object. 

The Dark Forest held many secrets and was a source of great power to many Magical Creatures.

With his childish personality, Prince Yeun-Ho was often pulled into reading books that held stories of the beautiful wood nymphs that showed themselves when the sun was at it’s highest position in the sky. Curious, he wished to seek them out. He loved learning about the netherworld. 

He followed the thin streams of crystal clear water that sparkled beneath the sun’s rays, going deeper and deeper into the tufts of trees. 

His raven black hair was a frenzied mess and now flowed past his shoulders. Not caring for his peasant appearance or his soiled robes, he stepped into the streams and walked into a river. His senses felt the cold rush of water going above his knees- he let out a shuddering breath.

Looking down, he watched the giant Koi fish dance around him. 

Dipping the palms of his hands he felt the colorful slippery scales beneath his fingers as they flowed past. 

As he smiled, cheeks filled with baby fat spread across his face. Almond eyes crinkled as he looked up at the burning yellow sun above his head. His face was still youthful and bright. 

Unfortunately his happiness was short-lived. He sensed a foul black aura behind him. Turning around- his eyes caught the silhouette of an odiferous creature standing three feet away from him. 

It had the form and body of an elk, its antlers were broken and degraded, and the fur was shedding off along with its skin. On the left part of the dark creature’s body the ribs and broken bone muscles were jutting outwards, causing a trail of blood to wind beneath its feet.

The Prince searched the back of his mind from the studies he held with mentor, trying to determine what kind of a foul creature this was from its visuals. It didn’t come near him. That was odd he thought. Its hooves were just a few centimeters apart from the water. As the water came close to it- it stepped backwards, giving a low growl. 

Yeun-Ho noticed it was foaming at the mouth. The orifices of its eyes were spewing out with a black fungus. 

This creature-once an untainted spirit of nature- was now infected with a spiritual parasite that was feeding upon what was left of its dead soul. 

It cannot cross into the spirit world, so now it lurked throughout the forest seeking for food to sustain its decomposing body. An eerie smile spread across its face, baring fangs at the Prince- the growl grew louder. It was hungry. 

The Prince determined this creature to be of Demonic nature. The water that he was in held pure qualities that cast away Demonic Creatures. If this beast stepped foot into the river, it will burn. Yeun-Ho did not take any chances. Swiftly he dove beneath the river and held his breath. Through the clear surface he could see the black clouded aura surrounding the elk. The spiritual parasite was feeding off of the life forces the elk had caught. As it fed, it grew bigger. 

He knew he couldn’t hold his breath beneath the water for long. He tried to swim towards the middle of the river, away from the now glowing red eyes that followed him. This beast wouldn’t be stupid enough to follow him. 

Suddenly it let out a powerful roar. The surrounding trees quivered as if knowing the impending danger that will follow. It snorted loudly in frustration. Pacing back and forth, completely frantic. The creature jumped high into the air, and came landing down, stomping hard onto the grounds with its hooves. 

Yeun-Ho shrunk back in fear. All color had faded from his face. His legs were practically numb from the cool water-somewhat quelling the tremors of dread that spread throughout his body like sharp spikes. 

Beneath the water, Yeun-Ho reached down to his right boot and took out a small dagger. He pulled it close in front of his chest.

The creature, running out of patience started running head first into the water. It was in physical and spiritual pain. All it wanted was to die, but the parasite would not have any of that. It needed to feed off of the boy’s life energy, to grow and spread.

As it reached the waters, its ankles began to singe, adding the smell of burning flesh into the air. Despite the pain that spread into its body, once again it went ramming headfirst into the Prince’s direction. Yeun-Ho was ready to fight him off. 

The creature bellowed out an even louder growl; its jaw wide open- revealing its numerous sharpened and decayed tendrils of incisors. The drool and rabid foam spilled out from the depths of its throat, mixed in black searing pus.

Yeun-Ho shrunk back with horror. He watched as the creature approached him furiously. The water around them began to become stained with black pus and blood. 

Jumping high into the air, the beast aimed for Yeun-Ho’s body. The Prince closed his eyes and his heart beat quicker with anticipation. 

“Andante. Frigidus Bestiæ.”

The Prince’s ears heard a familiar voice. He opened his eyes one at a time. 

A familiar tall and broad shouldered form stood in front of him. His body was clad in a long pearl-white Mage’s robe that was embroidered with golden silk. A white sash was tied around his waist to accentuate his slim figure even more. 

The long snow-white hair wafted in the wind, revealing a slender neck that was hidden beneath a collar. The tall figure stood protectively over the prince with his wooden staff, which now radiated a bright colorless shade. He aimed it at the creature, suspending it in the air in its entire colossal form. 

The Prince whispered words of relief, “Changmin…thank god you came.” 

The Mage’s eyes kept shifting a myriad of colors. Turning his head back, he looked at his charge, disapproval clearly showing upon his face. He furrowed his eyebrows and stared at the Prince with fury. 

Yeun-Ho gave him a small grin and quickly he ran out of the water-fearing his teacher’s fury even more than the beast’s mouth. 

With a single fluid movement of his hand Changmin separated the Demonic parasite from the elk. The carcass crashed down into the water, as the black aura was held in suspension. The Mage whispered another ancient spell and the black cloud disintegrated before Yeun-Ho’s eyes. 

Changmin looked down at the carcass floating in the water with sad eyes. His eye color shifted to a melancholy blue, reflecting his emotions. 

As a Magical Creature himself, Changmin was connected to the spirits of nature. All creatures were his brethren.  Bending down, he put the palm of his hand on the mutilated beast and the water around them began to glow. 

What was left of the creature’s pure spirit flowed out of its body and stood before them both. A flash of light shimmered and it was gone. The water claimed what was left of the carcass, not leaving a single trace behind of what occurred. 

The Mage stepped out of the water. To Yeun-Ho’s fascination he still remained dry and unscathed. 

“Changmin, how did you find me?” he asked with curiosity. 

The Mage stood tall and put his hand on his hips. He began to tap his foot in annoyance. His full lips were cast in a frown. He swatted the Prince on the head with his staff. 

“Ow! What was that for?” 

“My lord. You do not refer to me as Changmin. Tyou, I am Teacher. Is that understood?”

Yeun-Ho nodded with his eyes cast down. He was trying to stifle his giggle fit. 

“Look at you! You look like a filthy mess! I cleaned those robes just yesterday! Dear child, for how long do I have to clean up your filth?” The Mage pointed his staff at the teenager. The orb at the top began to turn green. Swirls of color bled through the glass and engulfed the Prince’s body. All the filth and dirt vanished. The silken blue robes became cleaner than they were before. A sash appeared around Yeun-Ho’s waist, and his hair was tied back once more revealing his youthful face. 

The Prince looked up at his teacher with admiration.


“Nothing happened I was wearing the jewelry you gave me all this time.” He pointed to a silver bracelet he wore around his wrist that had a topaz stone embedded inside. 

Changmin was not amused at all by the Prince’s childish behavior. “Your highness, I input half of my life into that bracelet. It is meant to protect you in a dire moment if I am not there to aid you. It is not a toy for you to play around with at your whimsy!”

Yeun-Ho rolled his eyes. “You said it’s supposed to protect me from the supernatural. Are you doubtful about your own magic?” He teased his mentor. 

Running out of patience, the Mage tossed the staff into the air. 

Yeun-Ho watched as it disappeared with a simple glow. Changmin raised his hand and phased Yeun-Ho onto his steed. The beast neighed at the sudden shift in weight. With another turn of his wrist, the magician whispered orders into the steed’s ears. Quickly it began to gallop at top speed to return the Prince to the palace. 

“Whoa, oh my god, is this necessary? Slow down! You *$@#*$” The Prince spewed out a string of curses as everything flew past him. 

The Mage snickered mischievously. His multicolored eyes hidden beneath his white fringe became mismatched. An air of amusement and relief surrounded him. 



~ ~ ~

South Korea, South Jeolla Province- Police Department- Present

A well built man in a police uniform stepped out from his office. His eyes were searching the room for the next interviewee. Putting on his reading glasses, he scanned his list of names. “Ahem, uhhh… Shim Changmin-ssi?”  He called out loud.

A tall youth suddenly sprinted nervously from his seat from across the waiting room. He wore black rims upon his face. His brown hair cut short, the fringe covering his forehead. He was dressed well. He wore a black turtle neck and jeans-both outlined his slender body. His skin was perfectly clear, despite his pasty white complexion. He looked like a bookworm. 

The uniformed man led him inside the core of the police station. He handed Changmin his papers and files. He was told to wait outside once again as the uniformed man disappeared. 

Too nervous to sit down, Changmin bit his lips and looked around the room. His mind was fluttering all over the place. 

Just recently he graduated from University at the top of his class and here he was already applying for his first job. He didn’t even apply willingly, they called him. Still, he didn’t ask questions and quickly jumped at the opportunity to work as a police detective. He just hoped his new partner would be a pleasant person. 

The uniformed man came out again to Changmin’s relief, and handed him a piece of paper. It had a room number and a name.  He sighed, straightened out his sweater, and headed towards his destination with a smile. 

As he walked through the central office, he felt eyes bore through the back of his head. Wondering who this new specimen was doing in their office. Changmin could hear their whispers. 

Poor kid. He doesn’t know what he’s getting himself into.”

“ Oh my god. He’ll be gone within the week.”

“ You wanna make a bet? He won’t last two days.”

Biting his lips, Changmin had no idea what they were talking about. He headed straight towards the doors of the room he was assigned to. 

Now standing right in front of it, he nervously gave it a knock. No answer. His eyes shifted back and forth. Perhaps he wasn’t being loud enough? He knocked again. Harder this time. But, he didn’t want to offend whoever was inside. To his relief a male voice managed to reveal itself. 

“Who is it?” It was terse. Cold. Emotionless. Robotic. 

Nervously, Changmin opened the doors. He glanced inside the dark room. All the windows were covered, not a single ray of light seeping in. The atmosphere felt tense. A young figure sat on his chair. He looked to be around his mid-thirties. His black hair was cut short and gelled back. He was handsome in appearance, but his eyes held this inner fury and paralyzing charisma. He was not wearing a uniform, just a simple black t-shirt that emphasized his biceps and perhaps plain jeans. 

Changmin looked at the name plate on the office desk, Jung Yunho, Senior Inspector. 

Nervously, his hands shaking, he handed his file to Yunho. The latter grabbed the documents. He opened the folder once and flung them across the room, without batting an eye at the young man before him. 

“Get the out,” was his only reply. 

Changmin felt his soul leaving his body. He tried to find his voice. To say something. 

“What…I don’t understand. What did I do wrong?” he managed to say.

Yunho looked up at him with cold eyes, “How old are you?” 

“I’m twenty-three.”

“I’m a thirty-two year old man.Not a baby-sitter. This conversation is over. Pack your stuff and get the out before I shoot you between the eyes. I don't need a partner. Especially an unskilled child like you. Understood?” 

On the verge of tears and panicking, the younger man quickly picked up all his belongings off the floor. He exited the office quietly without another word. 

 

                                tumblr_m2pzxe57hp1r37x8yo1_500.jpg