New Beginning

Origami

 

Donghae knew it was wrong to read Siwon’s journal, but once he saw his name he couldn’t stop himself.

 

So it wasn’t coincidence or wishful thinking… Siwon was indeed his mysterious letter sender. Donghae found it hard to believe that a guy like Siwon had watched him for so long, that he would put in all that effort just for him. His own ‘feelings’ seemed superficial in comparison—how could he ever match up to a guy that had liked him for three years?

 

Donghae didn’t know what to feel. He was glad his hunch was correct—only an idiot wouldn’t be happy to learn that their long-time admirer was a good person, and a total dreamboat to boot—but at the same time he was guilty for reading Siwon’s journal. Donghae had practically intruded into someone’s thoughts and feelings without permission. Donghae wished some of the things he read were said to him face-to-face by Siwon, himself—what a moment that would’ve been.

 

And really, what was even the point of telling Siwon a white lie about his minor operation when Minho was going to give him the ultimate proof? As if he didn’t feel bad enough as it is...

 

He wanted to strangle Minho for putting him in such an awkward situation. God, what was he going to do?

 

How do you tell your secret admirer you know he likes you… and you like him, too?

 

Hyukjae said it was a stupid problem to lose sleep over for an entire freaking week, that the answer was staring him in the face. But the answer was easier said than done, and courage takes a while.

 

“OK, Lee Donghae. Let’s get this over with,” Donghae typed a quick message and sent it before he changed his mind.

 

“Siwon-ah, you free this afternoon? Let’s meet up.”

 

Siwon’s reply took less than a minute. Donghae’s gut was doing somersaults.

 

“Yup. Coffee shop?”

 

Donghae closed his eyes and said “OK”. There was no turning back.

 


 

As soon as they met, Donghae handed the little black book to Siwon.

 

Siwon froze, his eyes wide with surprise. He thumbed through the notebook and saw it really was his journal—he knew it had been missing for the past week, but he wasn’t too worried. He made sure it never left the house. So how on earth did it end up in Donghae’s hands—

 

Minho.

 

Siwon sighed. He had a little brat to kill later. “So. You know,” he said quietly.

 

Donghae gave a small nod; there was no point in denying that he’s read the journal. “I’m sorry.” Donghae said.

 

Siwon smiled a little. “That’s why I didn’t want to tell you. I’m sorry you had to find out this way.” Siwon ruffled Donghae’s hair and forced a smile. “I guess this means we won’t see each other again once composition class is over.”

 

“W-why not?” Donghae asked.

 

“What do you mean why not?” Siwon asked in confusion. “You know my secret now. I think it’s better if we don’t see each other for a while so I can move on, maybe in a few months. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable, and honestly, I don’t think I can stand it… If you want to, we can still be friends.”

 

“I—I don’t want that.” Donghae disagreed.

 

Siwon looked absolutely heartbroken. “I see,” he croaked. “I-I won’t get in your way anymore, then—“

 

“No no no, you idiot!” Siwon’s head shot up at Donghae’s outburst. “I don’t want to stop seeing you, Siwon-ah. I’m not sure if I like you the same way you like me, but I really enjoy your company. I… I’m not against the idea of us trying this out. See where this will take us.” Donghae added shyly.

 

“R-really?” Siwon replied, unsure if he was hearing correctly.

 

Donghae nodded, unable to look at Siwon in the eye as he felt his face burning up in embarrassment.

 

Siwon couldn’t hold back any longer—he pulled Donghae into a hug, causing Donghae to let out an undignified squeak at the action. Siwon laughed into his shoulder.

 

‘You don’t know how happy you made me today, Donghae-ah.” He tightened his embrace. “I promise you won’t regret it!”

 


 

Donghae giggled to himself as he chanced upon the jar of paper cranes on his table. Weeks have passed since he confronted Siwon about them and received the full thousand paper cranes, yet he still felt giddy every time he saw them. They have been to a few dates, and it didn’t seem like they would be stopping any time soon. Safe to say it was the other way around, he felt like he was falling for Siwon more and more each day.

 

Donghae’s phone suddenly rang, interrupting his musings. He smiled softly when he saw the name of the caller.

 

“Hello?” Donghae greeted.

 

“I’ll be at your apartment in about 15 minutes, you ready?” Siwon asked.

 

“Yup! Can’t wait. We’ll talk later, Siwon-ah. Drive safely.” Donghae replied.

 

Donghae decided to check that he had everything he needed in his backpack. They agreed to go to the beach once the semester was over to celebrate. He also promised Siwon that he would have his answer by then.

 

Donghae had never been more sure of an answer in his entire life.

 


 

Donghae couldn’t help but marvel at the beautiful sight before him—not of the sunset, but at Siwon’s soft gaze into the sea. Siwon was enchanting, his dimpled smile taking Donghae’s breath away. Right then and there, Donghae made up his mind; he didn’t want to let go of this person. Not now, not any time soon.

 

“Siwon-ah,” Donghae started softly.

 

“Hmm?” Siwon replied, turning his attention to Donghae.

 

“Did I ever say thank you?” Donghae asked.

 

“For what?” Siwon asked, confused.

 

“For the paper cranes, for being my composition partner, for being my friend.” Donghae said. “For waiting for me. For watching over me for so many years.”

 

“Why are you saying that?” Siwon asked, reaching out to Donghae. “You’re starting to scare me, Hae. Is there a problem?”

 

“No. On the contrary, I’m ready now, Siwon-ah.”

 

“Ready?”

 

“You don’t have to wait for me anymore.” He cupped Siwon’s face then whispered, “Let’s be together.”

 

Siwon’s eyes bulged and his jaw dropped. He always had the best expressions—and they were all for Donghae’s to treasure and keep.

 

“W-what? Really? Are you sure?” Siwon asked, his goofy smile barely contained.

 

Donghae rolled his eyes. “Honestly, Siwon-ah, do you want me to put it on a big banner for you—hey!”

 

Siwon pulled Donghae into his arms and twirled him around. The couple’s happy laughter could be heard throughout the entire beach, but they didn’t really care. It was, after all, the moment they had long been waiting for.

 


 

I will write peace on your wings, and you will fly all over the world. – Sadako Sasaki

 

They sat side-by-side on the beach, their hands linked together, lulled by each other’s breathing and the sea lapping at the shore with constant, rolling waves. It was utter peace, and Donghae hoped he and Siwon could stay in it forever.

 

Donghae plucked out a paper crane from his wallet—the last of Siwon’s 1,000 cranes, which he had tucked in his wallet as a lucky charm. Siwon chuckled.

 

“So, was it true?” Siwon asked.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“The legend of the paper cranes. That 1,000 of them can make your wish come true.”

 

Donghae rested his head on Siwon’s shoulder. “Could be. It worked for me just fine.”

 

“It better,” Siwon grunted. “Folding a thousand of those things was no joke.”

 

Donghae laughed. “What about you, Siwon-ah? Did your wish come true?”

 

“It did. But I didn’t need 1,000 cranes.” He stared into Donghae’s eyes. “All I needed was you.”