Interlude - Diary

Origami

 

November 30, 2012

Friday

 

Winter break is just around the corner, but there's still so much left to do. For my first year in Myongji, I decided to volunteer for the annual Christmas festivities. I’m part of the student council, so I need to be there.

Most of the freshmen varsities will be there, including those who want to be somebody in college. 

I hope the event will be successful.

 

 


 

 

December 7, 2012

Friday

 

Of all sports, I had to end up with working with the soccer team. I feel like I'm talking to a dozen Minho’s. But then again, one of them was surprisingly handsome...

Lee Donghae belongs to the same department as me, but at the same time he is under a sports scholarship, which is rare. Most of the students in our department wouldn’t need to vent that much emotions through sports when we can either sing or dance.

I’m not bad at sports but I wouldn’t play basketball for a living.

In conclusion, Donghae must have all these pent up emotions for being so well-versed with everything.

 

 


 

 

December 15, 2012

Saturday

 

The event was a success! I am so tired after all that preparation, but it was all worth it.

In that short span of two weeks, I think I became too focused with that soccer player I mentioned last week; the one with too much feels.

 

 


 

 

January 21, 2013

Monday

 

I think I found a new hobby called people-watching. Or more like Donghae-watching. Back from winter break and I see him around campus all bundled up and looking adorable.

There must be something wrong with me if I want to be the one to keep him warm.

 

 


 

 

August 11, 2013

Sunday

 

Right when my second year starts I learn he’s biual and going out with someone.

And it’s not me.

Damn it.

 

 


 

 

September 6, 2013

Friday

 

So I learned his boyfriend’s name is Lee Hyukjae. He has a gummy smile and they take dance classes together. I think he’s good in soccer too.

They must have so much in common.

I hope he makes him happy.

 

 


 

 

March 15, 2014

Saturday

 

I keep on saying I’ll try to move on, but I keep seeing Donghae in campus. He’s really friendly, and it makes him all the more appealing because he knows soccer and is actually good at it.

 

 


 

 

May 5, 2014

Monday

 

They broke up.

They broke up right before summer break.

What the actual ?

 

 


 

 

May 16, 2014

Friday

 

I’ve never seen Donghae look so unhappy.

Stupid Lee Hyukjae and his stupid gummy smile.

And why are they still friends?

 

 


 

 

August 4, 2014

Monday

 

Wow time flies so fast, I’m already in my junior year.

Minho is starting his first year in Myongji. The lucky bastard got scouted into the soccer team.

Two years and still no progress with Donghae, while my brother gets to talk to him every single day.

 

 


 

 

April 17, 2015

Friday

 

I got roped into listing the new set of officers for each club.

I learned that the captain of the soccer club Kangin-hyung is graduating this year, and Donghae will be the new captain together with Hyukjae (yes, that’s his ex-boyfriend).

A year into their failed relationship and they’re back to being best of friends. Meanwhile, I can barely talk to Donghae.

 

 


 

 

June 20, 2015

Saturday

 

At last, the summer vacation is here! But that will mean less time seeing Donghae. 

On the bright side, the soccer club will be joining a summer tournament!

 

 


 

 

July 20, 2015

Monday

 

After all that, Myongji has entered the quarter-finals.

Donghae has been showing good leadership skills and his soccer is in the best condition.

I regret not taking soccer seriously when Minho was busy with it. I definitely would’ve been awesome like my brother.

 

 


 

 

August 5, 2015

Wednesday

 

Minho won’t stop bragging about his moves when I clearly remember Donghae making an awesome pass towards his direction. But then again, he won’t stop praising Donghae too. Sometimes I wonder if he wanted him as a hyung, instead.

Well hopefully, we’ll get there before I graduate.

In other news, Myongji will be battling in the semi finals later in the week. Based on how they’ve been performing this whole tournament, I won’t be surprised if they bagged the trophy.

 

 


 

 

August 18, 2015

Tuesday

 

Minho gave me free tickets to their finals game on Saturday. He still doesn’t know I’m sort of invested in football because of my little crush on Donghae. Okay, I’ve been pining for him since first year and lo and behold, my younger brother enters Myongji and he immediately becomes buddies with him. How is that fair?

I told him I’ll try to come, but who am I kidding. Of course I’ll be there. Who am I to waste such precious tickets?

 

 


 

 

August 22, 2015

Saturday

 

I’m going to make sure that a*hole doesn’t get to play soccer again in this lifetime. How dare he injure another player for the sake of winning the game? How is that called winning?

 

 


 

 

August 28, 2015

Friday

 

I’m going to take this opportunity to cheer for Donghae. I’ve decided to fold a thousand paper cranes for him and wish for his recovery. He’s been missing for a week and I’m kind of worried. I hope I don’t sound like a creepy stalker when I write him this.

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

Have you heard about the legend of the thousand cranes?

It’s said that anyone who folds a thousand paper cranes will have their heart's desire come true.

Then I wish for you to heal completely and return to the soccer field.

I will continue folding the cranes for you and will avidly await your return.

Fighting!

 

 


 

 

August 31, 2015

Monday

 

Well I’ll be lucky if he actually gets to read it. How am I supposed to know there will be a bunch of other letters? Anyway, there’s a long way to a thousand. I hope he actually notices the cranes.

 

 


 

 

September 8, 2015

Tuesday

 

So I made it to a hundred. My hands are about to break folding those cranes. Seriously, why did I do this?

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

You now have a hundred paper cranes.

There’s still a long way to go to get to a thousand but I do hope, your desire to recover never wavers.

Fighting!

 

 


 

 

September 10, 2015

Thursday

 

GUESS WHO DECIDED TO SHOW UP IN MY COMPOSITION CLASS?

LEE FREAKING DONGHAE!

AND I GOT TO TALK TO HIM!

I sound like a girl, what the ?

 

 


 

 

September 11, 2015

Friday

 

Sorry about yesterday, I lost my composure. He is so much hotter up close. He seems happier, too.

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

The black aura surrounding you has finally ebbed away.

Don’t worry too much. Have faith; you can do it!

Fighting!

 

 


 

September 17, 2015

Thursday

 

Minho gave me tickets for his game yesterday and I decided to go and watch him. Donghae wasn’t part of the line up though, so I wasn’t expecting to see him BESIDE ME.

I must have done something right that the gods decided to bless me with Donghae’s presence.

I couldn’t concentrate on the game because I was busy staring at the person beside me. Help.

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

Congratulations for winning the match yesterday.

I’m happy you went to cheer for your team.

Though I did hope you were playing.

Fighting!

 

 


 

September 21, 2015

Monday

 

My brother has a girlfriend and is popular. How is my freshman brother doing all these things?

Speaking of popularity, I was able to mention Donghae’s own popularity on our last meeting. And he sort of blushed when the love letters were mentioned. Not that my paper cranes are those sort of things, but I hope he likes them.

 

 


 

September 24, 2015

Thursday

 

Composition Class is the best. Sungmin asked as to group in pairs and I was able to convince Donghae to be my partner. But not without a fight against his army of fangirls.

But hey, apparently I’m also popular! :D

 

 


 

 

September 25, 2015

Friday

 

I’m going to meet and spend time with Donghae for our project. This is my chance!

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

I hope you meet someone new today and continue to be an inspiration to others like you've been to me.

Fighting!

 

 


 

October 2, 2015

Friday

 

Donghae’s been acting weird. I wonder why. Did I do something wrong? I thought we’ve been progressing quite nicely.

 

 


 

 

October 8, 2015

Thursday

 

Today I got really worried, I still am. When I arrived at the café, Donghae was there already and looked like he was having an internal battle with himself. I got worried so I ordered him a hot cup of chocolate. Then after some coaxing, he told me he will be undergoing a minor operation.

I couldn’t stop myself so I stood up and engulfed him in a hug. He didn’t pull away, but I think he wasn’t really himself. I told him it was going to be okay. I hope he believed me.

I’m nearly done with the thousand paper cranes, and plan to tell him…

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

I heard your operation was a success. Congratulations!

I guess we’ve reached the end of the journey. If you’ve kept and counted the cranes, you should notice that these are the last pieces to complete the thousand.

Thank you for not giving up.

Let’s meet on the field someday.

Fighting!

 

I do not plan on telling him who I am. Knowing him in composition class was a miracle as it is. The friendship we built over that short period of time was enough. I was so happy to have spent it with him. 

Now that we are friends, I do not want to lose him. I would rather be his friend than risk losing him. So at least let me tell him here.

I like you. I like you. I like you, Donghae-ah.