Truths

Origami

 

 


 

 

It’s amazing how life works. You meet the most amazing person at the most unexpected time.

 

 


 

 

It’s been almost a week since Donghae transferred to a new class. Though he missed his dance classes and Hyukjae, he was beyond excited. He gained a new friend in Siwon, who was immensely helpful, easy to work with and was such a charming lad.

 

In between composing and Donghae’s therapy sessions, they would also hang out, and Donghae began to learn more about Siwon day by day—his love for action movies, his exasperation (and gruff protectiveness) over his brother, his obsession with his dog, the pressure he felt from his father–small things that, slowly but surely, fed Donghae’s growing spark of interest in his newfound friend.

 

Meanwhile, Donghae continued to receive letters from his secret admirer. As a result, Donghae continued to feel confused with his feelings.

 

Donghae startled as he felt his phone vibrate. He smiled upon seeing a text message from the very person that made him want to work hard for their project.

 

 


 

 

Meet you at the usual spot. :)

- Siwon

 

 


 

 

Donghae smiled wider as he opened his locker upon seeing a number of paper cranes. He noticed they were topped with a cute doodle of his favorite hero, Iron Man.

 

 

Iron Man

 

 

He suddenly remembered Siwon randomly asking who his favorite Avenger was just a few days before. 'Must be coincidence,’ Donghae thought to himself.

 

Donghae shook his head and stacked the paper cranes into a bottle before carefully packing them into his bag, along with some materials for his composition project.

 

 


 

 

The usual spot was a small, chic cafe near the university. Donghae spotted Siwon at their usual table, his head bent over a notebook, and his usual hot cup of Americano already in hand.

 

"Hi Siwon-ah, did you wait long?" Donghae asked.

 

"Nope." Siwon answered, showing a dimpled smile. "How was your therapy today?"

 

Donghae resisted the urge to swoon at Siwon. 'How to resist such dazzling smile?'

 

"Better than yesterday," Donghae replied. "I gained a new friend in today's session. He was really cute, too."

 

Siwon raised one of his brows as he studied Donghae's expressions.

 

"He injured himself while practicing martial arts," Donghae continued, unaware of Siwon's brooding aura.

 

"I see." Siwon replied impassively. 

 

“He tried to do a high kick but ended up getting injured,” Donghae said, giggling to himself. ‘Silly guy.’

 

'I'll show you a high kick, if you show me yours,' Siwon thought, before face palming at his corniness.

 

"Is something wrong, Siwon-ah?" Donghae asked.

 

"No! No! I just remembered something," Siwon said, blushing fiercely.

 

"Okaaay?” Donghae replied, tilting his head to the side and not believing Siwon one bit.

 

“Let’s just continue with the project.” Siwon said, keen to change the subject.

 

“We should probably ask Sungmin-sshi’s opinion now that we’ve actually written the first verse,” Donghae suggested.

 

“Sure, why not?” Siwon replied.

 

And just like that, the two immersed themselves into the art of song writing.

 

 


 

 

A few more days after receiving feedback from their composition class, Donghae received a new letter.

 

 


 

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

 

I hope you meet someone new today and continue to be an inspiration to others like you've been to me.

 

Fighting!

 

 


 

 

Although a few days have already passed since he told Siwon about his new friend, Donghae couldn’t erase the feeling that Siwon knew his secret admirer. Donghae was running through the various possible ways to ask Siwon about it when a hot cup of chocolate was placed in front of him.

 

“Are you alright?” Siwon asked, frowning at Donghae’s frustrated mood. “You’re pulling at your hair again.”

 

Donghae blushed, unable to give a concrete answer to Siwon.

 

Siwon took a seat in front of Donghae. “Don’t worry about our project. Sungmin-sshi didn’t seem so affronted with it. We just need to tweak a few verses.”

 

Donghae shook his head; he wasn’t worried about the project. In fact, he felt confident they could easily ace the subject.

 

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Siwon asked again as Donghae refused to answer him. Siwon placed his hand on Donghae’s forehead. “Well, at least you’re not sick.”

 

Donghae blushed a deeper shade of red before making up his mind. ‘I’m sorry Siwon-ah, but I just need to confirm something.’ Donghae thought.

 

“It’s not the project, Siwon-ah.” Donghae finally said, looking interestedly at his fingers.

 

“What is it, Donghae-ah? You know you can tell me anything.” Siwon replied worriedly.

 

“I-I’m actually having a minor operation soon.” Donghae said. “If everything works out, I might not be available next weekend.”

 

Siwon gasped. Before he could stop himself, he pushed back his chair and gave Donghae a big hug.

 

Donghae stiffened, but didn’t pull away. Instead, he whispered, “I’m scared.”

 

“It’s going to be okay.” Siwon gently whispered back.

 

Donghae closed his eyes and inhaled the comforting scent of Siwon. He wasn’t lying about being available the next weekend. He hoped he wouldn’t need an operation, but he will be undergoing tests to see if there was progress on his healing. And lastly, he wasn’t joking about being scared.

 

He felt extremely guilty, tricking Siwon like this. But it was the only way to find out.

 

 


 

 

‘I wonder if I did something wrong,’ Siwon thought to himself as he was folding the last hundred paper cranes.

 

A little while ago he decided to write on his journal, but because he kept remembering Donghae’s increasing silence when they were together, he decided to immerse himself in folding origami, instead. He was so lost in thought that he didn’t notice his younger brother snooping behind him until he stretched his arms and hit Minho on the head.

 

“Ouch, hyung!” Minho said as he rubbed the sore spot.

 

“What the hell were you doing behind me?” Siwon asked, one of his brows raised.

 

“Spying on you!” Minho replied proudly.

 

Siwon rolled his eyes. “Really mature, Minho.”

 

“What are you doing anyway?” Minho asked.

 

“Nothing.” Siwon replied. “I was just folding some more paper cranes. I’m nearly done.”

 

It was now Minho’s turn to raise an eyebrow.

 

“Well, that should do it.” Siwon said, as he gathered all his materials.

 

“So I heard you’ve been spending time with Donghae-hyung?” Minho asked, eyebrows now waggling.

 

“N-nothing. We’re just working on a project,” Siwon replied, trying to conceal a blush.

 

“Hmm,” Minho replied pensively.

 

“I’ll go ahead then, I still have some homework to finish,” Siwon said, making a beeline for the exit before his brother asked him anything else.

 

Unbeknownst to Siwon, he left his little black book of secrets. Minho let slip a mischievous grin as he thumbed through the pages. Finally, an opportunity to tease his brother—just the idea that the black book was in his custody was enough. No need to know what was inside a private journal of his very private brother. He couldn’t possibly sink that low, could he?

 

At least, that’s what Minho thought at first, until curiosity swooped in for the kill.

 

 


 

 

Minho stared at the little black book he was holding. He kind of regretted knowing who his brother was pining for. Of all people, he had to choose the densest person he knew, aside from his own brother. Guess there was some truth to that old saying—birds of the same feather, flock together.

 

Minho sighed, deciding he had to give them both a chance, and both looked like they needed outside help. Although Siwon succeeded in the secret admirer thing, from the looks of things, he wasn’t planning on confessing or revealing his identity to Donghae anytime soon.

 

After more spying on Minho’s part, he realized that the interaction between Siwon-hyung and Donghae-hyung wasn’t as awkward as he imagined it to be. They actually got along very well, and that gave Minho the push to continue with his plan.

 

“Donghae-hyung!” Minho called as he spotted Donghae on his way to a class.

 

“Hey, Minho-goon!” Donghae replied, smiling brightly at Minho. “I want to stay and chat, but I need to head to my next class.”

 

“No worries hyung, I just want you to read this when you’re alone,” Minho said, handing Donghae the book. He made a run for it before Donghae could protest.

 

Donghae looked down at the book. Unable to help himself, he peeked at the last written page.

 

 


 

 

Today I got really worried, I still am. When I arrived at the café, Donghae was there already and looked like he was having an internal battle with himself. I got worried so I ordered him a hot cup of chocolate. Then after some coaxing, he told me he will be undergoing a minor operation.

 

I couldn’t stop myself so I stood up and engulfed him in a hug. He didn’t pull away, but I think he wasn’t really himself. I told him it was going to be okay. I hope he believed me.

 

I’m nearly done with the thousand paper cranes, and plan to tell him…

 

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

 

I heard your operation was a success. Congratulations!

 

I guess we’ve reached the end of the journey. If you’ve kept and counted the cranes, you should notice that these are the last pieces to complete the thousand.

 

Thank you for not giving up.

 

Let’s meet on the field someday.

 

Fighting!

 

 

I do not plan on telling him who I am. Knowing him in composition class was a miracle as it is. The friendship we built over that short period of time was enough. I was so happy to have spent it with him.

 

Now that we are friends, I do not want to lose him. I would rather be his friend than risk losing him. So at least let me tell him here.

 

I like you. I like you. I like you, Donghae-ah.