Prologue

Origami

 

Hi Donghae-sshi,

Have you heard about the legend of the thousand cranes?

It’s said that anyone who folds a thousand paper cranes will have their heart's desire come true.

Then I wish for you to heal completely and return to the soccer field.

I will continue folding the cranes for you and will avidly await your return.

Fighting!
 




Siwon stood in a hidden corner by the locker stands. He's had his eye on locker 71 for the past thirty minutes, waiting for its owner to open his surprise. He glanced at his watch. Anytime now, Siwon thought nervously. 

Sure enough, like clockwork, a limping figure came forward to open said locker. He watched the boy pick up three folded paper cranes and his letter. Slowly, the boy’s frown turned into a gentle smile.

Seeing this, Siwon slumped against the wall and sighed in relief. Crane No. 500 successfully delivered. Satisfied, he went his merry way.


 




“Hyung, you are so whipped,” Minho sniggered. 

Siwon was flattening a neatly-folded wing under his thumb. Without looking up, he casually flipped a finger. Touche, Minho smirked, and leant against the doorframe. “What exactly are you trying to accomplish, anyway?”

“A miracle?” Siwon grunted. He scowled slightly as he struggled with the wing of the paper crane. 

“Oh, you mean that legend with the thousand cranes?”

“Hmm.” Siwon affirmed. He gave his handiwork a final once-over, before placing it next to another finished crane. A couple more for tonight, Siwon thought, and pulled out a new sheet to start another.

“A thousand, huh? Looks like this is gonna take a while,” Minho whistled. “Need some help?”

Siwon looked up, surprised. Minho usually avoided anything that involved ‘disgustingly cliché romantic crap,’ as he had eloquently put it—folding paper cranes probably counted as one. “Thanks, bro. But I want to do this on my own.”

Minho stuck out a tongue. “You sap.”

“You just don’t understand romance,” Siwon shot back. Well, it is the truth—his brother was always thinking about sports, sports, sports, until he got together with Sulli. Even he has to wonder how his younger brother bagged the girl of his dreams when Minho didn't have an ounce of romance in him. Minho gave Sulli a rubbish bin on this first year anniversary, for example.

Instead of a retort, Minho only grinned at him, eyes soft. “Good luck, then. Hope whatever you're wishing for comes true.” Minho winked. “You have been working pretty hard, so how could it not?”

Siwon turned away, touched. His brother may not be romantically inclined, but he sure knows how to say the right words at the right time. “Go bother your Sulli,” he coughed.

“Nah! She's out with some friends. I'm meeting up with Donghae-hyung, though.” Minho pulled at Siwon’s arm. “Come on, get dressed!”

“W-what?”

Minho smiled sadly. “Well, Donghae-hyung’s been down in the dumps lately.” He then pointed an accusing finger at Siwon. “You, on the other hand, have cooped yourself up in this house far too long. So the awesome little brother is taking you miserable old men out to party!”

Siwon groaned. He wants to take back what he said about his brother, but then again, Minho had no idea Siwon was crushing on Donghae… nor did he know that Donghae was the recipient of his precious paper cranes.

Siwon was turning his head over for a good excuse when Minho yelled, “Move it, harabeoji!” and swiftly tugged Siwon’s shirt over his head, undressing him. 

Really, little brothers could be so damn annoying.

“MINHO, YOU DAMN BRAT!”


 


 


Hi Donghae-sshi,

I heard your operation was a success. Congratulations!

I guess we’ve reached the end of the journey. If you’ve kept and counted the cranes, you should notice that these are the last pieces to complete the thousand.

Thank you for not giving up.

Let’s meet on the field someday.

Fighting!