Chapter 19: Oprah

L.A. To Seoul

 

 

 

Tiffany sat on the suite’s couch, waiting patiently for the show to start on TV. Taeyeon had left the hotel for an hour now with her manager, and she felt a little lonely just by herself. She wondered where the rest of the girls were – Sooyoung, Sunny and Hyoyeon. They are not going to watch the show?, she thought inside.

She had to admit that she hadn’t spoken to the girls since she arrived in New York, which was the problem. It would be awkward or hard to face the girls without Taeyeon by her side. The main reasons for that were, one, whenever she was in front of Sooyoung, Sooyoung would look at her and smile weirdly, she even wondered if Sooyoung was gay, but no, maybe Sooyoung adored her beauty and planned to book her as one of her company’s models. It was just that, she couldn’t talk to a person when that person’s only starring at her, not even responding to the conversation. Second, of course, the high school drama that never ends. Tiffany knew Sunny was not fond to her, and she knew exactly why. Taeyeon even warned her that morning before she left to take care and stay away from Sunny, as Sunny maybe would chop off her legs. Yes, it was because of the high school drama where Tiffany and her former gang bullied Sunny and made her fell off the stairs. Taeyeon also told Tiffany that that was the reason why Sunny was short. Tiffany tried not to think about it, think about the past, but somehow every time Sunny was near her, she would breathe heavily and felt nervous, afraid that what Taeyeon told her about the chopping off her legs was true. Right at that moment, she was breathing heavily and she felt her heart pumping faster, realising that Sunny Lee was sitting exactly

RIGHT NEXT to her on the couch.

WHEN DID SHE COME AND SIT HERE, OH MY GOD, BABY TAE SAVE ME!

Tiffany moved slowly away from Sunny on the couch, suddenly seeing her near-future murder played out in front of her eyes at the hands of the girls she bullied in high school.

“Taeng looks swaggy”

“Huh?” Tiffany said, she didn’t even realise that the morning show was already on air because she was busy thinking whether she should run back to her room and leave the short girl there, to avoid the murder. Tiffany looked up at the LCD screen and yes, Taeyeon looked swaggy as Sunny called it, wearing black blazer, her blonde hair tied in a ponytail, and her face was incredibly glowing. Tiffany smiled seeing her lover happy face that morning.

“Wow, Taengoo is handsome” Sooyoung came from her room, with a box of cereal in her hands. Tiffany added that ‘Taengoo is handsome’ to her ‘Reasons Choi Sooyoung is Gay’ list. Sooyoung waved at Tiffany before she sat next to Sunny. “Good morning Tiffany” she greeted. “Morning shorty” she laughed looking at Sunny.

“Concentrate giraffe, I’m watching my best friend on TV now”

“Yah, she is my best friend too”

“Hey, she is my best friend too” Hyoyeon appeared from one of the room, wearing her pyjamas with her reading glasses. She stood up behind the couch and awed by Taeyeon’s beauty. “This kid is always this pretty” she said. “You must be proud, Tiffany”

Tiffany right away blushed when the three girls looked at her. She smiled awkwardly and turned her face, looking straight on the TV.

“You know, you don’t have to be afraid or shy or whatever towards me” Tiffany couldn’t believe where thE sentence came from, she looked over beside her. “I am over that high school thingy, so don’t worry. And now that you’re Taeng’s gf, I can’t stay mad at you all the time,” Sunny said. “Plus, I think she is going to marry you, so I cant stay mad at my best friend’s future wife”

WHAT, WIFE? MARRY? WHAT THE? REALLY?

Tiffany blushed again as the three girls laughed. “What are you talking about?” she said, still blushing.

“You seriously need to concentrate watching than to have a vision of me chopping off your legs” Sunny said, the other two girls still laughing hard. “Taeng just said that she is going to marry by the age of 25, and no doubt, she is going to marry you”

Tiffany shook her head and turned around to watch the TV again. She felt wrong for not paying attention to her lover’s morning show. But really, did TaeTae said she is going to marry by the age of 25? Tiffany thought.

Back to watching the interview.

 

**

 

“How are you, good morning” one of Taeyeon’s idol greeted her that morning at the studio. Oprah Winfrey, giving her a warm hug on that cold morning. The camera finally rolling. “I am good, good to see you” Taeyeon said before sitting on the couch next to Oprah.

“I can’t believe you are up after that” Oprah said, referring to the last night Grammy Awards. “I know I know it was crazy” Taeyeon said, finally sitting comfortably.

“Congratulation, you win 6 Grammys last night, wow, I am so proud of you” Oprah said, sitting next to the international sensation.

“Yes, yes, thank you”

“Do you know we are live over 140 countries right now?”

Wow was the only word came from Taeyeon’s mouth. She was of course amazed. She was feeling overly happy that morning, mainly because she was going to do an interview with one of the people who inspired her, Oprah Winfrey and also, she was happy because she woke up to a beautiful morning with her beautiful girlfriend, unclothed beside her.

“So, I’ve read so much about you, almost everything you said was the hardship you get into adjusting to being normal and wanting to be normal, do you still crave being normal?”

Taeyeon cleared , “I tried to be as normal as I can with the abnormal life that I have”. It was true, just after 5 years her best friend, Sunny posted her singing videos on Youtube, Taengoo has reached a breath-taking level of fame. She was the most watched person on Youtube with the outstanding 3 billion views.  Taeyeon’s latest album ‘I GOT A BOY’ skyrocketed at number 1 in 30 countries. “It’s definitely not normal, and there is so many sacrifices I had to do but at the end of the day,  I am able to do so much things that I thought I would never be able to do…like travel. I’ve never been on a plane before”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’ve never been on a plane before” Taeyeon said again.

“”Before you got the call, from, you know who” Oprah said, smiling.

“Yeah, Kwon Yuri” Taeyeon said, and looked over behind the cameras where Yuri was standing. She smiled at her manager. The manager, Kwon Yuri, was the person who discovered Taeyeon. It was true, back then, she went online and saw Taeyeon’s videos on Youtube. She watched one video and she said it was good, she watched another one, she was amazed. She cancelled all her meeting the next day to find the teenager. She was obsessed with Taeyeon and made her signed a contract with Universal Studios not long after they met. That was how things started.

“But really, are there people saying that you changed after all of these fame?”

“Of course but I think people need to realise that I am not changing, I’m just getting older, even online there are some people saying we miss the old Taengoo and stuffs, I am just growing up guys” Taeyeon said. “Although being a teen heartthrob is fun and I love the screams and both male and female think I am hot, you know, that’s not a bad thing” she said, laughing a little to the statement she just made.

“But I think they still think you’re hot even if you can’t sing”

Taeyeon burst into laughter again, before speaking “But I want it to be all about my music, and I want people to respect my music not just my looks”

 “You are a pop star, millions of people screaming your name wherever you go, even today outside of the studio there are like hundred of Taengangers,  how are you going to get out of here, I don’t know but, are you ever lonely?”

“Yes, of course, even with all of this fans and fame. Especially when touring, you just kinda feel like you need someone to be there with you, I mean, my best friends joined me sometimes during touring but yes I do feel lonely sometimes” Taeyeon answered. It was true, despite the fame, despite the fans, she sometimes get depressed, she get days when she was just down and feel gloomy.

“Do you feel, that people are rooting for you to make mistake?”

“Definitely. There are people waiting for me to mess up because a lot of teen stars do, you know, a lot of people make that mistake and end up getting into drugs and alcohol and stuffs”

“So what keep you from being one of those people?”

“Just remembering what is important, sometimes, I get lost in everything, consumed by stuffs, and everyone pulling me to different directions, so I have to remember to take time for myself to think what I’m going through, talk to people that I love about what I’m going through so that I am not keeping things in my head so that I don’t have 138 stuffs on my mind before I go to sleep” Taeyeon said. “I called my mom when I have doubts when I have problems and hearing her voice, just make me feel better”

“What do you want to say about the kind of mother that you have?”

“She is very kind, she has a good heart and she took care of me and my other two siblings” she went quiet, feeling a little sad remembering her mother who she missed a lot. “Sometimes there was time I want her to stay away, you know like, I am growing up and I need to find myself but there are times when I was on tour and I started to cry, like where are you mom, I miss you, you know, it’s hard for me, but I know she is proud, so proud of me”

“When you were 18, you bought a house, am I right? What does it mean to you to be 18 and bought a house, a mansion to be exact?”

“It was crazy, I mean, I was 18 and I am signing these papers, buying a mansion not far from the Kardashians…it was crazy”

“That was a very mature adult thing, having your own house. What do you spent your money on? Do you like to spent money on other people, like, buying gifts for people?”

“Yeah, definitely, I love buying gifts for my parents, my siblings, my best friends and…umm…”Taeyeon went silent, blushing a little.

“Are you gonna say the word, ‘girlfriend’?” Oprah . Taeyeon blushed more.

“My girlfriend, yeah…” she said, her face was all red.

“When you announce your relationship, were you thoughtful about making it public?”

“Yeah, I mean, I am always thoughtful about my fans. That was what I think of, like, what are my fans are going to think..”before she could continued, Oprah cut her. “Yeah because I read that Tiffany received death threats on twitter”

“Yeah, people are mean, and people say mean things, but at the end of the day, I still have to be happy, I can’t be single all my life. I think the fans know that, they are upset that it’s not them, I am just one Taengoo, I can’t date million of people” Taeyeon laughed. Oprah laughed too.

“But what is it about her that made you want to be with her?”

“I am all about genuine people, I feel like she is one of the most genuine people, she has a good heart, and I can talk to her about everything”

“We’ve seen a lot of PDA lately, is it that you can’t control yourself, like, just want to touch her?”

Taeyeon cleared , her cheek bright red again. “Yeah, we..umm..always touching each other “

“And what’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done to her you think?”

“Umm…we had dinner in the middle of an Olympic arena in Seoul during her birthday last August, and we had a private screening of her favourite movie, Twilight after that”

“Was she impressed? Was she impressed as the rest of the world?” Oprah asked. Taeyeon wanted to say yes but she was so shaky she only nodded.

“I read this somewhere recently, is it true that you want to get married by time you turn 25?”

“Yeah, I think so. I mean that’s a good age to get married, right?”

“Can you rethink that, will you?”

“Why? I mean, when everything feels right then, why not”

“You’re saying that, you are ready to get married soon when it feels right, but do you feel right, right now?”

“I mean,  yeah, with Tiffany, yes everything feel right”

“Uh oh, you are saying you’re going to marry Miss Hwang?”

Taeyeon didn’t answer that. She was blushing again. She didn’t realise that she actually said Tiffany in this topic of marriage, but really, she felt everything was at the right place when Tiffany came to her life. Everything just felt so right.

After doing the talks about her future tour in 2 months in Asia, the interview finished. It was a good one, for Taeyeon. She felt relieved, letting everything out, and for her that was maybe her best interview so far. She hoped Tiffany watched the show and feel comfortable with the fact that their relationship was now becoming official in the public’s eyes.

“That was a good show, Taeng” Yuri said while driving, heading back to the hotel. “You are growing up, and I am proud of you”

“Yeah, that was maybe my favourite. Oprah is the best”

“Anyway, after this, I’m going out to meet someone, and make sure to get ready and tell the others too, the dinner with all of the Grammy winners is tonight”

“What dinner again?”

“The dinner with all of the Grammy winners, tonight, and I need everyone to come and get ready early”