Seven

Humanoids: The Legend of Dong Bang Shin Ki

Rating: Strong T

 

Warning: Mild violence but nothing gruesome, bending a few medical and anatomical facts.

 

A/N: Thank you for reading, commenting and subscribing people. Here is the next installment.

 

|Seven|

 

The building Sooyoung and Captain Dojin’s team were set to raid was a supposed warehouse, that in actuality housed a labs that were involved in questionable R&D practices that my compromise national security and stir up ethical questions. The reason the head of the research lab, Dr. Chu Sungyeol, wasn’t behind bars and his project shut down was protection from certain individuals in the government and wealthy financial backers. There was also the fact that every time anyone tried to do anything within the law to stop him, he’d claim harassment and those involved would end up unemployed.

 

All mainstream forces like the NPA* and NDI couldn’t try such an operation because it would backfire on them with the wretch filing for property damage and harassment and once again the government would be pressured to fire someone. It was the main reason that it came under Captain Dojin’s jurisdiction, as his team was the most covert the government could get if they were looking to have plausible deniability should Sungyeon want to sue yet again.

 

“I think you’ve read the file on your target and have an idea of what you are going to do,” Captain Dojin began the brief, standing at the head of the table. “The cliff notes version, acquire any intel held on site both soft and hard copies. Any evidence you can get you bring back and strategically destroy what needs to be destroyed that doesn’t trace back to us; questions, comments, clarifications?” when no-one dared to ask, he turned to the long, wavy haired male at his side, “Yoochun-ssi, take over.” He prompted, letting the young male take over to go through strategy.

 

“You’ll be using a three prong approach,” signaling Changmin, who typed rapidly on the laptop to bring up the schematics on the screen of the warehouse. “Sooyoung, Siwon and Donghae –you’ll be coming through the front, auxiliary snipers will on these three building,” he pointed out the building on the screen with his laser pointer. “They will take out the guards and provide you extra support should you require it. Zhoumi, Victoria and Amber –you’ll come in through the right side once the first three handle the guards round the main building. Kangin and Luna –you’ll go through the back and secure the building before giving the word for the 2nd team to come in and handle the Intel gathering and charges set up.” Once again Changmin clicked away at the laptop bring up a large view of not only the warehouse, but it’s surrounding as well. “The closest police station is 20 minutes away. Response time should you trip any alarms by local PD is at most 15 minutes giving you 35 minutes to get in and out for a clean op. Yunho will be on hand along with the 2 auxiliary snipers should things get hairy... Changmin,” Yoochun prompted the maknae.

 

Changmin wasn’t the public speaking kind and preferred to address the room from his seat. “Sooyoung, Siwon, Donghae are going to be Alpha team, with Siwon as lead –Alpha 1. Sooyoung and Donghae will be Alpha 3 and 2 respectively. Zhoumi, Victoria, Amber is going to be Beta team, with Victoria as lead –Beta 1. Zhoumi and Amber, will be Beta 2 and 3 respectively. Kangin and Luna are going to be Gamma team, with Kangin as lead and Luna as Gamma 2. Main communication with base will be through the lead unless otherwise needed, especially when under fire. Zhoumi and Victoria, I will be giving you the necessary equipment for the sweep that will be set up in the highlighted areas. Don’t worry I’ll talk you through it, but study the plans thoroughly,” handing them both the necessary scheme for the room with highlighted points, “Amber, you’ll handle the technical package. If anything happens to it, Gamma team will have a replacement pack for you. Once you hook it up, I will be able to assist you from my location. Hook it up first before doing anything, okay?”

 

Dojin took over once again, once the youngest of the DBSK boys had completed his jargon. “This mission needs to be squeaky clean with zero trails leading back to us. Victoria, your team his handling the most delicate part of the mission, be swift but thorough there can be no mistakes.”

 

“Yes, Captain,” Victoria agreed, knowing this was riding on her and it would be on her should they fail.

 

“We roll out at 2100 and not a second later, Yoochun will go over your equipment,” Captain Dojin went on. “I’ll be watching from here, try to impress me.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“I already told you unnie, I’m going to get water and plant samples and will be gone 3 days tops,” Jinri assured the petite woman, who looked unconvinced by her reason. She could see why her going to the forest that her Unnie died in was suspect and sudden, but the only thing she had left at the moment was her research and graduation to keep her mind busy lest she go insane. She needed the fresh country air and the forest’s surrounding to perhaps come to terms with it.

 

Sunny raised an eyebrow, “you’re going gallivanting into a dangerous forest, and you expect me not to bat an eyelash at that? No likely, sweetheart,” she was a lawyer and cross examined less cooperative witnesses and culprits, no way a teenage girl –no matter how genius she was –got one over her. “Why are you really doing this?”

 

“You and Hyo –unnie have been telling me that I needed to try and begin moving on,” Jinri deflated taking a seat on the bed, as Sunny sat beside her patiently waiting for her to continue. “She…” she began, but had to take a breath to fight the urge to cry. “She’s gone and she’s not coming back. But, I’m here and need to continue on for her and for myself. My research is the only thing I have to keep me going, but it can only hold me up for so long,” her thoughts were jumbled as grief threatened to overwhelm her, but she hadn’t cried in a week and she promised herself that she wouldn’t then and was thankful when the woman beside placed a comforting hand over hers. “I didn’t even get to see her body. Its morbid I know, but I didn’t get that closure and maybe if I reconcile what’s pushing me forward with what is holding me back, I can begin to really move on.”

 

“If you waited a week, I could have gotten some time off and would have come with you,” Sunny understanding what the girl’s thoughts were with this trip and respected them, but was afraid that she was making the trip alone.

 

Jinri managed a slither of a smile, “Arrayo, but this is something I need to do on my own,” getting up to continue packing. “I promise to call or text you every hour for your piece of mind,” knowing the woman needed assurance. “Where is Hyoyeon-unnie?”

 

“At the precinct starting her shift, but call her before you head out,” Sunny answered, watching the girl zip up her camping bag. “3 days, 2 nights then you are back her missy, no excuses,” despite the teen dwarfing her in height, she still managed to exert the necessary authority. “Miss a checking-in and you’ll be dealing with a Hyoyeon induced search party.”

 

“I heard you the first time Unnie,” slinging the back over her shoulder, accepting the hug Sunny was offering before heading out.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

All the teams were clad in black to blend easily into the night, as the run a finally check on all weapons that would be on their persons as well as extra magazines.

 

“You ready for this?” Yoochun asked when Sooyoung came up for her communication ear piece. Armed to the teeth and looking different with the tightly tied black locks in a high ponytail, slinky high-neck heavy duty cat suit, military boots, gloves and Kevlar vest fastened to her chest.

 

She smiled, “This isn’t my first rumble, I’ll be fine,” hearing the note of concern in his tone, fixing the ear piece in her ear. “How many taps to activate?”

 

“Just one for on and off, Min-yah and Kyu will run a sound check before the mission,” he answered returning the smile she’d offered up. Even if it was a straight forward mission, he was still worried for the woman and what would happen should she get hurt in some way. They may not have had the comfort of her relationship with Junsu, Changmin or even Yunho, but Yoochun still did care for her and hoped for her safety. “Stay safe,” he ordered only half serious.

 

Sliding a handgun in her garter holster, she nodded, “Always.” Her eyes strayed to Yunho, who was across the room seemingly going over something with Captain Dojin, Kyuhyun and Changmin. Other than their earlier interaction he’d kept his distance, handling logistics with Changmin, Yoochun and the Captain. She wasn’t oblivious to the fact that he’d grudgingly given in to her rather than accepting her choice, putting a strain between them. She didn’t like it, but couldn’t bring herself to back down out of principle.

 

“He’ll get over it eventually,” Yoochun informed her as he handed Amber her earpiece. “He’s just worried about you. Show him you can handle it and he’ll ease up.” Okay, his hyung’s worry of her getting hurt would never fade, but showing him her capabilities would certainly go a long way into his approval of her choice.

 

She would have to take his word for it and hope the tension was ease, only offering him a quick smile as the Captain called for their attention, “Time to roll out, get cracking.”

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

The guards at the gate are down for count, Alpha team is clear to move in,” the lead auxiliary sniper, checked in to clear the first team to move in.

 

Kyuhyun checked the radar monitors to confirm, “Roger Sniper 1, hold position,” switching audio channels to the alpha team who was standing by. “Alpha 1, your team is clear to move in you’ve got 5 to take out the main guards.”

 

There was a tall tale beep from the speaker, before Siwon’s voice came through, “Roger that Base, Alpha team on the move, out.” Changmin watched the tracking dot moved swiftly across the parking space toward the three dots stationed at the front of the building representing the guards. When the teams dots covered the guards and he had the distinct sound of gun shots and the dull thuds coming through the ear piece, before it beeped again, “Guards are down, Base. Beta is clear to move in.”

 

“Roger that Alpha 1, hold your position,” Kyuhyun ordered watching as Beta team lay in waiting in the adjoining compound waiting for signal. “Beta 1, you’re clear to move in. Gamma 1, secure the building you’ve got 15 and confirm, out.”

 

The three green bloats that represent Beta team moved swiftly to join Alpha team at the main entrance, and waited for further instructions. Kangin and Luna simultaneously, moved through the back taking out 4 hostiles as they went. “Gamma, give me eyes,” the image they were seeing shimmered onto the screen in black and white as they moved through the corridor. “You’ve got two hostiles coming at you from the right, take them out.” Once again the soft whish of bullets came through the speaker, before Beta 1 called in.

 

Building is secure, Base. Beta is clear to move in, out.

 

“Standby, Gamma. Beta you’re clear to move in. You’ve got twenty, make it work –out,” Monitoring the police scanner for any chatter regarding the warehouse. So far they hadn’t tripped any alarms, but it was better safe than sorry.

 

Roger base, Beta moving in now,” Victoria’s confirmation came through the speaker, as she led the team in.

 

It wasn’t fifteen minutes in when Changmin heard a gun cocked coming from the feed linked to the alpha team. Something wasn’t right, “Alpha 3, what’s wrong?” he heard Siwon ask Sooyoung who he guessed was the one that cocked the gun. “Alpha 3–”

 

“–Duck!” Came Sooyoung’s urgent order as a barrage of gunfire filled his speakers.

 

•                                             •                                             •

 

Sooyoung knew that she should be grateful that the operation was going smoothly, but there was something a little too easy about it all. For one there had been a total of 11 guards when this was supposedly a highly secretive lab. Wasn’t there suppose to be more security around the place? Not to mention the smaller warehouses on the North, North West and North Eastern side of the main building, having absolutely zero security. It didn’t help that the night was still, a little too quiet in her opinion. Don’t get her wrong she wasn’t an adrenaline junkie and if the op was easy then better for her, but something just didn’t seem… right?

 

The change in the air was sudden but distinct as it always was when her weird déjà vu/spidey-sense kicked in, drawing her gun immediately clicking off the safety startling her team. Her eyes scanning the darkness critically for movement knowing they were out there, but not knowing exactly where they would come from.

 

“Alpha 3, what’s wrong?” Siwon inquired at the woman’s sudden action, trying to see what she was looking at, taking out his handgun, as Donghae did the same. When he didn’t receive a response from the woman, he began prompting her again, “Alpha 3 –”

 

To the human ear it wouldn’t be audible, but her slightly enhanced hearing picked up the distinct crunch of a boot on grovel, and managed to yell a “Duck”, before the hostile come round the corner guns drawn, as others poured out from the other warehouses guns blazing. Her reflexes were faster than the others, and she managed to catch him in the chest. “Alpha 3 to Base are you getting this?”

 

The sub warehouses are lead lined, radar couldn’t pick it up,” Kyuhyun’s voice came through her earpiece, “We’ve got 2 out back, 4 from each sub warehouse. Snipers do you have a clear shot?”

 

“Negative, we’ll need to move from our vantage point to get it. Proceed?” Came sniper one’s reply.

 

Proceed,” Changmin instructed, “Alpha team it looks like two more have gotten on the roof, snipers changing positions to assist. Local PD’s on route, you need to figure out a contingency quickly before this gets FUBAR.”

 

“We have a problem, Base. These guys aren’t going down,” Sooyoung informed them, watching as the 6 closed in on them and not affected by the bullets hitting them point blank. “One’s taken three to the chest without a vest and is still advancing. Back up requested.” It would prove Yunho right, but she wasn’t bull headed enough to risk her team’s safety to prove something with Donghae going down after taking heavy duty rounds to his vest in the ambush.

 

“Yunho’s trying to handle stalling the local PD, he will be there to back you up as soon as possible,” Kyuhyun replied.

 

Finding cover she loaded her last magazine, sheltered by a concert barrier form the bullets still raining in on them. Siwon was crouched behind another barrier across from her, while she remained with the incapacitated Donghae beside her. “Are the Beta team any closer to finishing their reconnaissance of the lab and evidence collection, because I’m down to the last magazine and Donghae’s down for count?” Taking the time for his response, to pop up and attempt to take out the assailants again.

 

It was Changmin who answered this time, “Beta is double timing it, but they are down one. You’ll need to buy them time.”

 

Her gun clicked empty, forcing her to crouch behind the barrier once again, “Aish,” holstering the useless weapon, and reading herself for a physical altercation, as the hostiles’ guns clicked empty as well. Her last assault had only felled 5 of the 15 zombie-like soldiers; leave her and Siwon to contend with an overwhelming number of 10. Ordinarily it would be no problem, but these no-feel soldiers barely flinched when shot, physical blows would probably do nothing to them.

 

Alpha 3, we move on 3,” Siwon’s voice sounded in her earpiece, despite being across the way and signaling the same. “1…2 –” he’d managed to get to two, before one of the soldiers reached over the barrier and pulled her over it by the neck as if she weighed nothing. His counterpart trying to get at Donghae the same way, but she managed to lash out and kick him hard in the face, before getting enough leverage to throw her captor over her shoulder, and smashing an elbow in his face. She added kick to the back of the neck for good measure that finally sent the soldier to the ground.

 

A quick glance across the way assured her that Siwon was holding his own; she turned her attention back to the one attempting to break Donghae’s neck. In a blur she brought her leg round in a reverse roundhouse catching him in the face once again with all the strength she could muster that sent him reeling back and away from Donghae. All in all the man’s attention was now on her, nose broken but seemingly unaffected by it –no flinch or wince like you’d expect from one with such an injury.

 

How are you doing, Alpha 3,” Kyuhyun’s voice came through her earpiece, concern subtly laced into the words. The chatter that had been going on in her ear was mostly been between Base and Beta team or Yunho, who was now on his way to provide much needed back, successful in stalling local PD.

 

“Been better,” was her response as the guy came swinging, throwing heavy swings at her head earning a swift kick to the side for his trouble as she managed to evade his attempts. But, in a surprise move that caught her off guard, he came charging at her like a bull catching her around the waist and crushing her harshly into a wall. His meaty hands flying immediately to her neck to choke her, squeezing threateningly.

 

What’s going on?” Changmin asked probably hearing the harsh thud of her back connecting with the wall, and having the wind knocked out of her. “Soo?” he called again forgetting protocol and addressing her by her name when he didn’t get a response, a certain frantic edge in his voice.

 

Despite her supposed increased strength, the man was still stronger, hands around her neck like a vise. Her hands wrapped around his wrist tightly attempted to pry his hands off her even as dots started dancing in her vision from her air being cut off. She somehow managed to get one of her legs free and knee him hard in the groin as a last resort, it seemed –ironically –that there was still feeling in that particular area, and he went down. She had only moments to recover, taking advantage of the situation, striking hard at his knee sending him toppling to the ground from the damage it incurred, before she brought down a heavy axel kick on the back of the neck.

 

Yah, Sooyoung-ah!” Changmin impatient voice came through the earpiece this time, patience forgotten.

 

She couldn’t answer immediately, rubbing her neck and coughing to try and ease the irritation, she answered. “I know women are known for multitasking, but I’m trying to stay alive here. You’re distracting me,” rushing toward Siwon to help him with the two he was struggling with.

 

Soo, you need to handle the ones on the roof, Gamma is down,” Kyuhyun’s voice came cracking into her ear as she delivered a well aimed kick to the back of the knee of one of Siwon’s captor, before delivering the felling blow to the back of the neck. Siwon able handle the remaining one alone.

 

“Alpha 1 can’t handle them by himself –” she began, before one of the soldier came charging into her, again, sending them crashing into a wall. His arms around her in a bear hug trying to crush her.

 

Soo, talk to me,” Changmin’s tone much tittering on frantic again.

 

The strain on her ribs was painful as his arms threatened to break them, but her arms were free enough to swing around, managing to catch him in the temple a few times with an elbow. That however only served to make him tighten his arms further, so she maneuvered her legs enough to get some leverage on the wall to push off and send them crashing into an opposing wall. It surprised him enough to loosen his arms slightly, but it was all she needed. Using her newly gained strength to rip his arms from around her and throwing him over her shoulder before kicking him in the back of the neck ending the struggle.

 

Yunho had already arrived at the scene and was handling the others like it was practically nothing, not exactly pleasing to the ego but it wasn’t the time to feel inferior, “Making my way to the roof now,” sprinting across the way and using a nearby car as vault to get onto the roof. In a flurry and blur of kicks, punches and throws she managed to secure the roof though panting for breath. “Roof is secure, but Beta needs to put a rush on it. From what I can see the barrier isn’t holding up.” Watching from her vantage point as squad cars rushed toward the warehouse.

 

How far along is EVAC?” Yunho’s voice sounded in her ear, not a note of breathlessness after handling more than 6 hostiles on his own, but then again he was Dong Bang Shin Ki so this was probably child’s play.

 

5 minutes,” Kyuhyun answered, “Gamma team and Beta 2 are down; assistance required to EVAC. Someone will have to stay behind and handle clean up before local PD gets there.” With Zhoumi down it was only Amber handling data collection, despite assistance form Changmin. Victoria was setting up the fire charges on her own, but wasn’t as quick as they needed with police closing in on them.

 

“I’ll do –” Sooyoung began offering, but Yunho cut her off curtly.

 

No, you’ll leave with rest. I’ll handle setting off the charges and clean up,” His tone left no room for arguments and the other two men weren’t inclined to go against him, and honestly speaking she didn’t want to get on his wrong side at the moment, despite objecting the order furiously internally.

 

“Roger that,” she agreed without a fight, safely descending from the roof.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Debriefing was without half of the team, Kangin, Luna, Zhoumi and Donghae hauled up in Med bay to get patched up, leaving Sooyoung, Siwon, Victoria and Amber to attend and face a less than pleased Captain Dojin. He didn’t seem like the type to show his anger outright, but it didn’t take a psychologist to see the slight annoyance hidden in his charming smile.

 

“Well, you didn’t fail,” he began dismissively, “but you didn’t entirely succeed, so this means desk duty until I think you can carry out an op without embarrassing me too much.” He wasn’t a coddler that, he left to the NDI and Local PD teams. He picked people because he expected good results, seamless result. What did he get; a frayed hot mess. “So what went right and what went wrong, other than drawing to much attention?”

 

“What went right was that the hostiles were a failed experiment. But due to its employment of more Robotics and Physics than Genetics, I’d say they weren’t a creation of Sungyeon, but an equally Frankenstein-esque friend,” Changmin began. “Project Android was attempting to make, well, androids that were more human than machine, by using implants embedded in the brainstem that released nanobots that–”

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes knowing all the technical jargon would fly over everyone’s head but their own, “–Simply put, their nerves were fried so they felt no pain, and the nanos simulated regular brain impulse so that the adrenal gland continuously produced adrenalin and testosterone hence making them stronger and faster not to mention more aggressive.”

 

“I’m guessing all that resulted in bad side-effects and that why it was labeled a failure?” Captain Dojin assessed, happy the eldest DBSK male took over from the maknae.

 

“Which include brain death, heart attack and impotency… but, I doubt that is the biggest problem they had to worry about,” Jaejoong confirmed, adding the last part simply because the whole thing was getting incredibly morbid.

 

Amber being the youngest one in the room had a hard time controlling her feature, letting out a cough of a laugh. Of course the latter of the side effects wasn’t funny, but the way Jaejoong had said it was just…

 

“How is this a good thing again?” the Captain forgave the young woman for her lack of propriety due to her age. Yes, he could be … accommodating when he wanted.

 

“For one the project being discounted so we won’t have any of these soldiers running around,” Changmin took over once again, “and it also led us to exactly who he was working with,” typing away at his computer he brought up a picture of a man in his 40’s, “There is only one person this advance and progressive with nanotechnology and physics, which is him –Dr. Baek Daejung. He usually helps Chu Sungyeon recruit fresh graduates for whatever projects he required.”

 

Yunho was the one to speak next, “But isn’t there a missing link? We’ve got a geneticist, physicist, but where’s the neurologist? They needed someone who knew the brain and nervous system to pull this entire thing off?” He wasn’t the science man, but he was logical and once they found the link between the players in one project it would probably lead to another.

 

“Which brings us back to the two you brought back,” Jaejoong began. “They both disappeared after going for treatment in a Busan hospital, I’m guessing it’s one of the residents or a visiting MD that we’re looking for with prior connections to –”

 

The words came tumbling out before Sooyoung could control them, “Busan General,” all attention now turned to her, Jaejoong as usual was unable to hide his annoyance.

 

“Your point,” what, did she just learn how to read and decided to share with the class or something? They were brain storming and she blurts out a name clearly displayed on the screen.

 

“If that’s the hospital then there is only one neurologist and it’s Dr. Jang Soori, and she is just on the right side of ethically challenged to pull something like this,” the memories rushing back, as she was unable to keep the disdain from her tone.

 

The Captain definitely picked up on the bitter tone, “Sounds personal.” Personal vendettas were never solid in terms of leads.

 

“My dislike for her is personal, but you don’t have to dig to deep to find out she’s a sociopath with a medical license,” Sooyoung could understand the Captain’s doubt, because she couldn’t control her emotions toward the woman. But, her calling her out was completely objective. “Trust me, you’ll find this isn’t beyond her.”

 

He nodded, not seeing harm in looking into it, but they had a debriefing to complete, “So now that we’ve gone through what went right, what went wrong?” Dojin turned to rest of the room.

 

“They knew we were coming weeks in advance,” Yoochun quickly tapped on the keyboard bringing up an ariel view of the compound. “This was taken about a week or two ago, you can see there are more trucks and personnel around, fast forward to a few days when the NIS and your team did a final reconnaissance the guard numbers decreased and activities within the three sub-warehouse ceased. None of the other surrounding warehouses in the area have lead lined warehouses, meaning…”

 

“Use of radioactive materials,” Yunho concluded which didn’t bode well for anybody.

 

“There were a few trucks with HAZMAT stickers leaving the compound when we did the last reconnaissance,” Siwon recounted, “We ruled it as normal since they’ve been doing it regularly. It’s in the report we handed in, Captain.” He was definitely getting desk duty until he was old and grey after this, and to think he’d just gotten a raise.

 

This definitely wasn’t good. The whole operation was now turning out to be total failure, “So at the moment all we have is loose ends and a failed project. Can we track where each truck went to, or are we screwed on that end too?” Captain Dojin asked, already knowing the higher ups were fretting now that the Local PD was all over the scene.

 

“We’ll need to work concurrently with NIS, but Kyuhyun, Jaejoong and I have already begun the process?” Changmin answered, swinging lazily on his chair. “In fact if you can spare your best techies, the faster we can do this.”

 

“We need eyes on Baek Daejung and Jang Soori, if they helped Chu Sungyeon before they will likely help him again,” Captain Dojin added, if both were solid leads then they would pan out with the team he had on it. “Dismissed,” he was likely going to have to deal with serious dress down from the higher ups with the op failure, but most importantly he need to figure out where the leak came from, because it would screw up his operations royally.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Despite assuring Changmin that she was fine, he insisted on checking her over for injuries. Sooyoung would admit her back hurt some and was probably black and blue on its way to recovery. So after a soothing shower, she headed to the basement to the makeshift med area. “Oppa?” she called out taking a seat on the cot, wincing slightly as her sore back muscles protested.

 

With the accelerated healing, the soreness and bruising set in faster before fading just as fast. The pain however was unavoidable, especially with her body still going through conditioning. “Yah, oppa! You’re the one who insisted I get a check-up. What are you doing, retaking your medical exam?” She just wanted to slip into her warm bed and black out for 14 hours straight if possible, before she returned to her daily training so she could do better the next time.

 

“Woman, do you have to be so loud?” Jaejoong’s irritated reprimand floated through the room in its bored and annoyed glory, as he leaned against the doorframe watching her with unhidden disapproval. Changmin was on the phone with NIS analysts and had asked him to check on the ordinary for him, which was why he was there now watching as a grimace pulled at her lips and not because she was unhappy to see him. “What’s your problem?”

 

You; was itching to fall from her tongue but she held it back. It was bad enough that the op had gone sideways, but dealing with Jaejoong’s condescension while in pain was not something to make her bad day worse. “Nothing,” hoping he didn’t catch the hiss as she slipped off the cot.

 

“Aish chincha,” he breathed, in front of her in a flash to prevent her escape purposely invading her space. “Changdola isn’t the only doctor in the house. So what hurts?” She was hiding it well, but she was in pain and Changmin would nag him to kingdom come if he didn’t help her.

 

If it was anyone else she would relent immediately, but Jaejoong. He’d soon as injure her further than actually help her being the sadist that he was –she’d pass. “Thank you, but I’ll pass?” she didn’t need more pain at his hands.

 

“Yah, it’s either you get back on the bed or a make you,” he husky tone accompanied with a threatening smirk and raised eyebrow, promising to follow through should she refuse to comply. “And let’s face it I’m stronger and faster, so resisting is wasting my time and your energy.” His smirk pulling into a grin when her eyes widened fractionally and heart stuttered. But, as usual she kept part of her defiance, by trying to stare him down, eventually giving in with a sigh when he did show signs of giving in.

 

She got on the cot once again laying face down, readying herself for his finger painful probing even shutting her eyes for good measure. It never came; the cool whisper of wind chilled her skin when she pushed up her shirt to expose her bruised back and side, before gentle fingers probed her back surprising her. Wasn’t he supposed to be purposefully rough since he despised her so much? But he was careful and profession in his movements.

 

“I’ll place some special medicated towel on your back for half an hour,” he told her his tone clinical cold, almost glacial. Boa was always on his case for not having a bedside manner, but it wasn’t in his nature to be all that sympathetic with anybody. “Your spine and disk are unharmed so the injury is mostly in the muscles. The same for your sides, you should be better in a couple of hours.”

 

Her eyes followed his movements keenly; watching him soak the light cotton gauze towel into a tray of hot liquid before wringing it until it was semi-dry, placing it on her back. It wasn’t scalding as she’d expected, but warm and soothing to her sore muscles. “Um…Thanks Jaejoong-ssi,” she usually trade barbs and insults, so the gratitude felt odd on her tongue and it seemed redundant as he snorted.

 

“I’m not doing this for you,” he dismissed, eyes hard as they met hers making sure she knew he wasn’t mincing words. “When the cloth gets cool, you can take it off and throw it in the bin. I have better things to do than tend to an ordinary with a death wish,” sauntering out with a backward glance, smirk tugging on his lips at the satisfaction of leaving her speechless.

 

Well at least she learnt to not ever thank him for anything, because he’d just throw it back in her face –lessoned learned. Using her arms as a pillow, she shut her eyes and let the towels do their job.

 

She must have fallen asleep because the next time her eyelids slide open, the now cooled towels was being peeled off her and before hesitant gentle fingers grazed the bruised skin of her back. Blinking back the sleep from her eyes, she peered at the person expecting Changmin but instead found the elusive leader of the DBSK examining her, eyes worried. “It looks worse than it really is,” she had to guess that the bruises had darkened further, and were looking harsher despite there being no pain.

 

He had been well aware of her waking with the change of heartbeat and breathing, so he wasn’t startled when she spoke suddenly too busy looking at the tattoo of purple-maroon bruises on her sides and back. They didn’t seem to hurt because she didn’t flinch under his fingers, only goose pimples rose on her skin in response, but that didn’t make him feel better. Her assuring words didn’t make him feel better either, so he remained silent replacing the shirt over her back and allowing her to sit up. His eyes found the same bruises around her neck, and his hand rose once again to caress the discolored skin.

 

“I know what you are going to say,” comfortable under his touch. Despite the rift that had come up between them because of a difference of opinion, his presence still offered the most comfort. The gentleness in his eyes underlying the obvious worry he had for her. It was obvious what he was thinking and she didn’t have to think too much to know.

 

He sighed, “and it still wouldn’t matter.” She was obviously as stubborn and steadfast as he was and wasn’t going to change her mind about her choice anytime soon, despite what had gone wrong earlier. “I know you think I’m being controlling and overbearing, but I just want to keep you safe,” his hand coming up to gently cup her cheek.

 

“I don’t doubt that, but I can’t not help when I have the ability to, Yunho-ssi,” her heart at ease now that they were actually talking instead of avoiding the subject. “Despite what you think, I know the danger I’ll be in and I know I might die, but I can’t sit here doing nothing wondering ‘what if’ –it’s not in my nature.”

 

His thumb caressed the apple of her cheek, “So I’m learning.” He couldn’t help worry, especially when things had gone awry with her first op. Fine, he’ll admit that she could more than handle herself despite the bumps and bruises she’d gained, but damn it he was still uneasy about her choice.

 

Jaejoong couldn’t help scoff at the heartwarming scene going on in the med bay. It almost figured that Yunho couldn’t stay away for the woman, especially with her wounded puppy predicament. And if he was right, the deep gazing into her doe eyes would have him softening his stance, something the guy never did, Unbelievable.

 

TBC

 

A/N: So I haven’t written action in a while, and it might be a little rusty but I hope it was still okay. It might not seem at all important, but everything will tie in eventually. I will reply to comments soon, so don’t think I’m ungrateful.

 

The plotline and story is mine. Please do not repost, copy, translate anywhere without consent and plagiarism is a bad thing.

 

Comments would be lovely and greatly wanted, helps me know what you think. Constructive Criticisms is welcomed, because it helps me improve. Flames “to each his own”.