02: The Kingdom Under the Waves

Fisherman's Register

A long time ago there was a beautiful kingdom that rose and fell with the tides. In this kingdom lived men who could breathe under water, known as the merfolk, and creatures of exceptional beauty known as the water elves.

The water elves were skilled craftsmen, whose works were highly valued for their beauty and strength in faraway lands. And with their skills, these elves created two mirrors--Refrain and Reality. Refrain could show what things a man desires, and the things that a heart yearns for while Reality shows a man anything he needs to see--the past, the present, or the future.

At first, these two mirrors brought prosperity to their lands. People came to see these works and praised the elves for their skill.

But over time, a thing called Greed infected the hearts of men, and these men sought the mirrors for selfish victory and wealth. Slowly, this Greed infected the water elves themselves, who had always been selfless creatures, destroying their civilization.

Rotting from the inside out, the water elves and merfolk knew that over time, even they would all succumb to Greed. The waters were no longer as clean as they once were.

In a desperate attempt to save what they hold dear, the elves and the merfolk dragged their kingdom to the heart of the ocean. Without the warmth of the sun, the kingdom became lifeless, and slowly, its inhabitants died, leaving only a skeleton of what once was.

Every now and then, one of these inhabitants would dare to venture to the surface once more to see if humans have changed, only to realize that Greed's grip on the hearts of men had tightened. But every now and then, there would be men that still had hearts free from Greed, men who spoke the words of the oceans, and they would be welcome into the still kingdom. And only they would have the rights to gaze upon the mirrors.