The Lost

Last Man Standing

I woke up under what I think is supposed to be a tree. It was burnt and weak. I looked around and the world looked grey. I coughed and sat up. There was a sharp pain in my stomach. I clinched my abdomen and stumbled to my feet. I took a second look around to verify I was alone. “What happened?” I asked myself swiping the dusty air from my face. A sudden flashback hit me, I remember now, I have to make sure my brother’s okay. I looked around, there was nothing to see. I looked up at the grey sky and wondered if there were others still alive. I began to walk around my seared city; I walked past the park and the cherry blossom tree stood tall with that red bird. “Hey bird. Come here.” I called out towards the park. The bird stayed still; I watched the bird for the slightest movements. Not one. I sighed and called out again.  “Hey birdie birdie!” The bird stretched out his wings and they burst into flames. I stepped back and fell to the ground. “What the hell?” I screeched as the rest of the bird began to become engulfed with flames.

I wanted to run away from this bird. From this situation, but something told me to stay where I was. I looked at the fire bird and wondered why it was still alive. Why I was still alive? “What do you want from me?” I asked the bird. I scoffed at myself Birds don’t talk Youngmin; you’re wasting your breath.  The bird stared into my eyes and I, for some strange reason, stared into its eyes. In its eyes I saw Kwangmin lying on the edge of a river. He wasn’t moving and was barely breathing. I shook the vision out of my head and looked at the bird. I was horrified by what it showed me.  “Are you trying to kill my brother?” I asked and as expected the bird said nothing. “Birds don’t talk, Youngmin…” I said to myself aloud as I swept my hand through the grey dirt. “You’re right, Youngmin, birds don’t talk.” A voice echoed me. “I’m not a bird.” It continued. I looked at the small animal. “What the. How the… What are you?” I stood up and stepped back a few inches.

“I am the Guardian of Life and Maker of Death,” the voice began to get closer as the bird grew larger. “I’ve done things that you could never imagine.. I am all powerful my name is…” my thoughts got the best of me as I hoped for a super mega bird like this one to do or say something really cool. “Azarath.” The, now, giant fire bird’s mouth opened wide and a girl with brick red colored hair stepped out. Her close danced with the wind as fire swirled around her sleek figure. “A-Azarath?” I asked dumbfounded because of the shock.

 

  She nodded and stepped forward. I felt my eyes widen as she approached me. “What do you want with me?” I asked stumbling over a rock. “Your brother is in danger. He could die.” Azarath said grabbing my hand keeping me from falling. “He could die? What about everybody else in the world?!” I asked looking around the empty greyness that was once Kwangmin and my favorite park in the city. She looked down, sadness painted on her face. “There was no hope for the rest, they were corrupt, evil. Unclean, unnecessary, unwanted by the guardians.” She spat. I flinched at her harsh words. “Why am I still alive, then? I’m just as corrupt as everyone else.” She shook her head. “That’s where you’re wrong, Youngmin. You’re pure and kind. The guardians wanted you alive.” She explained. I shook my head. “Just me? What about my brother?” I asked moving away from her. “I tried my best to protect him from the wrath of the guardians, but I could only do so much.” She said placing a hand on my shoulder.

“He need you.” She said moving her hand from my shoulder to my hand. “I know, but what can I do for him?” I moved my hand to my pocket. “I don’t know how to help him. There’s nothing… we’re alone.” I said turning away to hide my tearing eyes. She didn’t say anything after that, just wrapped me in a hug.  I took a deep breath. “Kwangmin-ah! I’ll find you, even if it’s the last thing I do!” I shout to the sky as the tears flow from my eye. I wipe the tears away and turn to Azarath. “Where is he?” I asked gripping her shoulders. She shrugged I don’t know. He’s near a river, that’s the extent of my ability to help with the destination.” She said looking over to the giant creature. “Your ability? You mean, you’re not allowed to help me?” I frowned her eyes widened. “I can help you in other ways.” She smiled her cheeks burned red. “How?” She tapped her chin and thought for a moment. “I could get food, water and shelter for you. And um… that’s it.” I sighed, but agreed with the fact that she was practically useless.

“Sorry.” She said smiling sheepishly. I patted her head. “It’s okay. Wait… those vision the bird gave me. Can it give it to me again?” I asked she looked at the bird. “Xylon doesn’t give visions. I do. He’s just my pet.” She said motioning the bird over. “This thing a pet?” I asked eyeing the giant bird. “Yes, phoenixes are a common gift for a guardian of Life and Death.” She the firebird I nodded. “Show me where he is, Azarath.” I say turning her towards me. She looked into my eyes, into my soul and there I say him lying on the edge of the river. I closed my eyes. “Dang!” I exclaim and look at Azarath. “What?” she questions. “There are over 4,000 rivers. Which one is he at?!” I yell at her. Xylon hissed at me. I sighed and walked away.


Hey everybody! I'm update. I'm sorry for the really late update. My English buddy fall of the map and I can't find her. I had to type this and get people to help me nativize it for you all. Hopeful it's not too bad. I hope I have all the problems fixed out of it. Happy readings. Please comment and subscribe. Upvote please^^ Thank you for reading!