Chapter Five

Oh My Baby!

OST: By Myself by SNSD's Tiffany

 

          "Nicole?"

 

          Nicole felt her entire body tense up as she stared at her ex-boyfriend and father of her baby, eyes wide.    After three years, there he was standing in front of her when he was the last person she wanted to meet again.  He still looked as handsome as she remembered.  Maybe even more handsome, if that was possible.  His hair was shorter and his jeans and sneakers were replaced with professional and business attire.  He was no longer a boy anymore, but a grown man.

 

          Minho also felt his body tense up as he stared back at his ex-girlfriend whom left the country without a word.  He couldn’t believe it, after three long years, they finally meet again.  He scanned her up and down.  She still looked the same, only her hair was different with more a bob-cut and side-swept bangs.  However, Minho noted that there was something different about his ex-girlfriend.  She had a more mature and pleasant vibe than she did back in high school.

 

          It felt like forever as Nicole and Minho stared at each other without a word.  They were both completely shocked.  Both thought they would never see each other again, but here they were- standing right in front of each other.  However, Minho’s shock was soon replaced with anger.  He could feel himself boiling inside, his fists clenching.  A million questions were rushing through his mind.  Why is she finally back?  Why, after all this time, did she have to appear before him again?  Why did she leave in the first place?

 

         “Mi-Minho?” Nicole finally spoke awkwardly, “H-Hi, how are you?”

 

          Nicole mentally slapped herself.  Hi, how are you?  That was the only thing she could think of to say to the man she left behind without a word because she was pregnant with his baby?  When she noticed Minho’s gaze become intense, she broke their staring contest and looked everywhere but his eyes.

 

          “How am I?  I’m doing just fine, Nicole.” Minho answered, his gaze practically burning through her.  Nicole felt her spine shiver when he spoke her name with such angst.  “How have you been these past three years?”

 

          There was an awkward silence.  Nicole didn’t know how to answer Minho’s question and she continued to avoid eye-contact with him.  Kibum and Jonghyun also stood awkwardly as they watched the two exes before them, completely silent.  The atmosphere around Minho and Nicole was intense and uncomfortable.

 

          “Hey guys, I got the ice cream!” Onew announced, but paused when he noticed the intense and awkward atmosphere.  “Whoa, what happened here?”

 

          Nicole, Kibum, and Jonghyun turned toward the oblivious man who held a bowl of a mix of vanilla and chocolate ice cream.  Kibum and Jonghyun tried to signal their friend about the situation, but Onew remained clueless.  He turned to Minho for a better explanation but his tall friend was focused on the woman in front of him, holding the little boy with the Power Ranger shirt.  When he looked at the woman’s face, his eyes widened in recognition.

 

         “Is that Nicole?!” He asked in shock.  Kibum and Jonghyun groaned at their clueless friend.

 

         “Yea……long time no see Onew-sshi.”  Nicole greeted awkwardly and bowed towards the Kim cousins, “Hi Kibum and Jonghyung-sshi.”

 

          She wasn’t surprised when Jonghyun gave her a cold reaction.  Onew only nodded, still in a state of confusion.  She smiled softly when Kibum gave her a weak smile.  After all, he was the closest to her out Minho’s friends, maybe even closer than Minho himself.  She felt hopeful that her friendship Kibum wasn’t demolished when he greeted her warmly.

 

          “Omma, ice cream!”

 

          The five adults turned toward Yoogeun, who was no longer crying and was reaching for the bowl of ice cream in Onew’s hand.  He was completely oblivious to the adults’ awkward atmosphere.

 

          Minho watched as his friend gave the child the ice cream.  Omma?  Did he just call her Omma?  He glanced back and forth between Yoogeun and Nicole, his mind processing the situation.  Minho thought back to Nicole’s reaction when she found Yoogeun and how she comforted him, just like a mother would…...

 

         “Nicole, who’s that?”  Minho finally asked, his tone was no longer full of angst.

 

         It took Nicole a moment to answer.  She awkwardly looked down at Yoogeun before looking up at his father.

 

         “This is Yoogeun, he’s my son.”

 

          Minho froze as he stared at the child, who was happily eating his ice cream.  He’s my son.  Her words ran through his mind repeatedly.  Her son?  He couldn’t believe it, his ex-girlfriend and first love had a son.  Minho knew that it shouldn’t bother him, after all she left him and he was dating Hara.  However, he couldn’t help himself from feeling a stir in his heart.  Who’s the father?  Was the first question to pop up in Minho’s mind.  He figured that she must’ve met someone else in the States, but something inside him told him that was not the case. 

 

          “Hmm……don’t you think he looks a little like Minho?”

 

          “Yeah, he does.  He could be your son, Minho!

 

          Minho’s eyes widened as he slowly came to realization on exactly who’s son Yoogeun was.

 

           “How……old is he?” He asked quietly.

 

           “He’s……three years-old.” She answered just as quietly.

 

           Before anyone else could say anything, Minho grabbed Nicole and pulled her away.  He needed to speak with her privately.  He wanted answers and needed her to tell him everything.  Confused at what was going happening, Nicole followed Minho helplessly with Yoogeun eating ice cream in her arms.

 

         Minho dragged Nicole to the Ferris wheel.  They cut to the front of line, and Minho used his “CEO” card to get on the next available passenger car.  Minho never usually used his status to his advantage at the park, but at this moment he could care less.  All he wanted was a place where he could talk to Nicole alone.

 

          “Minho, what are you doing?” Nicole finally demanded when the ride started going.  She placed Yoogeun down.  The three-year-old immediately took a seat and busied himself with the view.

 

         Today was not Nicole’s day.  She wanted this to be a fun day with Yoogeun, best friends, and Yunho.  But, fate doesn’t seem to be on her side.  If running into Minho was the last thing she wanted to do, being alone with was even worse.  Nicole felt herself panic.  What was she going to tell him?  With the separation of countries and the distractions of his friends gone, Nicole could no longer avoid Minho.

 

         “Why are you here?”  Minho asked quietly, avoiding Nicole’s question.  His back faced her as he looked out the window of the passenger car.

 

          “I came here with Gyuri, Seungyeon, and my brother.”  Nicole answered, also looking out the window.  “I didn’t expect to run into you……”

 

         Minho paused before he finally asked, “Why did you leave?”

 

         “……I’m sorry Minho, but I can’t really answer that.”

 

         “And why not?!” He demanded angrily as he turned around.  Nicole was shocked by Minho’s expression.  It was full of resentment, but at the same time there was a mix of confusion and pain.  However, Nicole only turned her gaze away.

 

         “Minho, I’m sorry……” Nicole apologized as she turned to Yoogeun, who was distracted by the view of the park.

 

          Minho sighed out of frustration as he also turned to Yoogeun.  The three-year-old was pointing outside the window at one of the big rollercoasters and looked at Nicole and Minho with a huge smile. He couldn’t help but smile warmly at the innocent child.

 

         The two stood there in silence for what seemed like a while.  Minho was contemplated whether he wanted to truly ask the question on his mind.  Though he felt he already knew the answer, he needed confirmation from Nicole.  However, he feared that the answer could turn his life around.  If Minho just didn’t ask, he would never have to deal with the responsibility.

 

          “Am I Yoogeun’s father?” he finally asked.

 

          Minho looked Nicole in her eyes, and just that one glance told him everything.

 

________________________

 

I'M SO SORRY TO ALL MY READERS >.<  I know I'm really late in updating, but hopefully I haven't lost anybody.  It's just for these past few weeks I've been so busy with vacation and getting ready for college.  With my move-in to my dorm date next week and school starting soon, I can't guarantee an update anytime this or next week.  However, I will try my best!

Anyway, Minho finally knows about Yoogeun!  But what is his reaction going to be?  Is he going to want to be a supportive father? Or completely ditch his responsibility?  Tell me what you think in a comment :)