Chapter 9

I am the best

 

 

“I think I should be getting back to school now.” D.O said fiddling with the buttons on his camera. He didn’t look at Kai but he already knew the expression he was showing. “You should head back home before it gets late. I don’t want you spending 2 hours on the road when it’s dark.”

“Hyung, it feels like you are chasing me away. Don’t you love me anymore?”

D.O rolled his eyes and smiled. “Stop being ridiculous Kai. You wanted me to meet your new friends which I did and they are cute. I had fun hanging out with them, though it’s too bad Tao couldn't join in the fun but it’s ok cuz I have a costume in mind that’ll suite him for next time. He has that dark cool look and he’s also cute. What do you think about a Kurosuji cosplay next. I think Tao will look good as Sebas-chan,”

Kai smiled at his brother as he got carried away and babbled about what he loved. For as long as he remembers D.O had always loved reading manga and watching anime and at the age of 10 started sewing costumes. Kai who had always loved and adored his brother played along with him but it wasn't enough. D.O had no friends and often got bullied which pissed the younger boy. He took it upon himself to defend his brother in his own special way. Kai didn't think his brother needed friends anyway, he was more than enough to fill the role.

It took a while for Kai to learn that D.O didn't want friends, he was actually happy with the way things were. What he wanted were people to dress up in his costumes. There were limits to what suited Kai and he wanted variety.

Which was when Kai decided to start having ‘friends’. Kai went through a series of people trying to find the right ones but none of them ever lasted. Except for one person who stayed and ended up being his brother’s closest and only friend. At first Kai didn't like him because of how strange he was but since the guy also liked D.O and made him happy he tried not to let his jealousy ruin that.

Then he met Luhan and Xiumin. They were perfect and Kai decided to keep them for as long as possible. And now that he has found Sehun and Tao he doesn't plan on letting them go. If this would make D.O happy then Kai would do anything.

“but then who would play the role of Ciel? Sehun is cute enough but I think he’s a bit too tall? May be Luhan? Xiumin would fit too. Ahh, it’s hard to pick.”

“Then why don’t they all try the costumes next time and you can decide which fits them most.” Kai suggested and his smile widened at the radiation of happiness from his brother.

That smile and happiness is what he lives for.

His phone started ringing but he made no attempt to pick it up.

“Answer that while I go clean things up.” D.O said going to the kitchen to wash the tea cups they used.

Kai glared at the phone before picking it up. “Speak.”

“They are on the move.” Was the only reply he got before the person hung up. With his usual stern face he turned to Luhan and the others. “We are leaving.”

“Can’t I spend the night here?” Luhan asked. It took only a glare from Kai to shut him up. “Jeez I was only asking.” He mumbled as he started taking off his costume.

“You better lift your up if you don’t want Kai to throw it through the window.” He said to Tao.

“From what I see, Kai won’t do such a thing in the presence of his brother.”

Luhan only smirked and continued his business. Xiumin saw the look and sighed.

“Don’t even try anything stupid again. Kai might seem that way but he has ways of getting things done with or without his brother knowing so if you don’t want to lose your balls move.”

And Tao thought he had things figured out.

 

~In the car~

“Hyung,”

Everyone turned to Sehun who in turn was facing D.O. “Yes?”

“Urg, I have a bad feeling about this.” Luhan said slumping in his seat.

“I have a bad feeling about my life but does anybody care?” Xiumin replied.

“Will you give us your blessing?” Sehun said playing with his fingers.

“Blessing?” D.O asked sending Kai a look.

“I want to ask for Kai’s hand in marriage.”

There was a moment of silence in the car before it was broken by D.O’s amused laughter.

Luhan and Xiumin who were sitting at the very back of the van gaped at Kai wondering what he’ll do. But the most surprising thing was that he didn’t do anything. He didn’t look like he cared.

“Omo, Sehun you are so cute.” D.O cooed stretching over Kai to pinch said boy’s cheeks. “Who would have known you were mentally unstable but it’s nice to know Kai is not shallow.”

Wait what?

“But you know he doesn’t look as critical as you said he was. You guys must be treating him well.”

“Oh my gosh you told him Sehun’s mentally unstable?” Luhan couldn’t help grinning. “That’s very- you actually. I shouldn’t expect anything less.”

“Oh, should I not have mentioned it? I hope it doesn’t offend him.” D.O had the gall to look worried.

“Such innocence.” Xiumin said wiping away an imaginary tear.

Luhan looked at Sehun waiting for the inevitable anger or hurt to show.

“Wait, wait,” Sehun stammered. “Kai talks about me? Oh my, I don’t know what to say.”

We don’t know what to say.” Luhan said with a roll of his eyes.

“So Kai, how’s school?” D.O asked.

Kai quickly averted his eyes to the road. When was the last time he went to school? Even though the only reason he was going to school was because his parents asked D.O to make him he doesn’t want D.O to know he skips.

“What’s going on?” Sehun asked as the van steered off to the side of the road.

“Did you ask him to stop?” D.O asked Kai and when he shook his head there was barely any time to panic as the doors were flung open.

4 men wearing masks and holding guns pulled them out and lined them against their van.

“Don’t make any noise and obey orders or-”

Tao shut him up with an uppercut punch which made him unconscious.

“Hey, we have guns.” Their driver said coming out of the van with his own weapon. “We can and will shoot you if you do that again.”

“I can take you all down before you pull the trigger. Try me if you don’t believe me.” Tao said killer aura flowing off him.

The driver’s eyes went wide with fear and he unconsciously took a step back. Kai placed a hand on Tao’s arm and shook his head. Tao was pissed but he obeyed.

 “Bag em up.” One of the masked men said.

While sacks were being placed over their head Luhan who was holding Xiumin’s hand reached out for Sehun but turned to D.O instead when the former was glued to Kai’s side.

“It will be alright D.O we’ll get out of this alive.”

“Do you think they’ll let me take pictures?” D.O asked him with a wide grin on his face.

“At least someone is having fun.” Xiumin muttered as a sack went over his head.

 

 

 

Chanyeol looked at everybody seated in his living room (apparently Suho came back). This was the first time they had come to his house and he wasn’t sure he was happy about that. What if they decide they want to keep coming here? This is meant to be his safe haven.

“I’m glad you’re not dead.” Baekhyun said sending him a smile.

“Um…thanks?” Chanyeol looked around for clarification.

“He thought you died since you weren’t home.” Chen said. “You know since you were supposed to be sick.”

“Ah…” Chanyeol said still a bit unsettled.

“Yeah, I understand why you are surprised. I didn’t know he liked you that much either seeing as he paid your parents to pay you to be his friend but I guess all that is alright now.”

“Wait what?” Chanyeol’s neck almost snapped with how fast he turned to Chen.

“Wait so he didn’t tell you yet?....oops?”

“Baek…” Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun. “Is that true?”

“Wait, wait, wait…just hang on a minute.” Baekhyun started panicking. He didn’t know if Chanyeol was mad or sad but he knew both options were still bad.

“Let me explain.”

“It is surprising that Baekhyun would do such a thing. But since I know he is a great guy do give him the chance to explain.” Kris said.

“I suggest you shut up since this is all your fault.” Chen said.

“My fault? But I didn’t do anything.” Kris replied eyes going wide.

Baekhyun struggled for words to say which proved to be hard with the way Chanyeol’s kicked puppy look was locked on him. Thinking the whole thing through he realized that it is more embarrassing than he thought.

“I…i…” Baekhyun stammered. Dammit he was cooler than this.

“Of course it’s your fault. He got jealous that you made friends namely I and Suho and he didn’t have a friend of his own and since he didn’t want to be left out he hired someone he thought was sane enough to storm your stupidity. Honestly I don’t get why we all like you, an amoeba wouldn’t want to be friends with you.”

“I love you too!” Kris cried launching himself on Chen and Suho who punched him in the face (which didn’t hurt because he didn’t mean it.)

Chanyeol cocked his head at Baekhyun. “Is that true?”

Baekhyun who felt his pride evaporate into thin air made a run for it.

“Hey, wait!” Chanyeol yelled after him and ended up following him upstairs were he locked himself in a room.

“How did you know that’s my room?” Chanyeol asked by the door.

“I’ve been here before. You didn’t think I just randomly picked you did you? I stalked you for a bit, nothing big.”

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that. Come out ok, I’m not mad…just a little surprised.”

“Will you stop being my friend?”

Chanyeol sighed and leaned on the door.

“I know you did it because you were forced to but will you at least give me a chance. I don’t think I want to pay any one else to be my friend. I probably won’t like them.” Baekhyun paused and when Chanyeol didn’t say anything he continued.

“You know Chen and Suho became Kris’s friends first. They knew each other and the only reason I also became their friend is because I’m Kris’s brother. I don’t have the bond they have. I just wanted someone for myself. If Kris can call them his friends I wanted someone that I’ll call mine. Everyone in my family seems to be good at it. They are natural at drawing people to them. Even Kai has friends although he won’t admit it, since he was always clinging to D.O hyung I thought he won’t have any friends but he did.”

“Ah, your cousins.” Chanyeol said voice going distant as if reliving a bad memory.

“Oh, do you know them?”

“There’s a bit of history between us but let’s leave that for another time.”

“Does that mean you’ll be my friend?”

Chanyeol didn’t think it was particularly wise to befriend his boss cousin but who knows that might make him safer, sort of. And Baekhyun does seem to be the sanest of the bunch.

“I guess…do I have to return the money?”

“Nah, keep it. Maybe you can use it to pay for a Psychiatrist because sooner or later you’ll have to meet the whole family. But I have faith in you Chanyeol since you are my friend and all.”

“Is it too late to change my mind?”

“Yep. Welcome to the family.”

 

 

Xiumin gagged as his sack was roughly pulled from his head. He didn’t know where it had been for it to smell like piss but he strongly prayed everyone else’s sack smelled the same.

With their heads free they were able to see their surroundings but with their bound limbs that wouldn’t do them much good. It looked like a warehouse with about 20 men littered around.

“It’s good to finally meet you Kim Jongin.” A man with a cigarette in his mouth said walking into their line of vision.

“I am the boss and you are my hostages. Although I have no intention of letting any of you go.”

Luhan took one look at the men with the guns before fainting. Xiumin rolled his eyes at him but he couldn’t help feel nervous even though he knew Kai was going to do something (only because his brother is there.)

Sehun looked relatively happy since he could act like a damsel in distress and Kai would save him. True love always conquers all.

Tao sat still waiting for the signal to kick everyone’s .

“Are you sure you are a real gangster? You look like a noob.”

D.O said looking skeptically at the boss.

“You know,” Xiumin said. “Now is not the time for that.”

“Are the guns even real?” D.O added apparently curiosity winning over.

“Kai please do something before they shoot your brother. You wouldn’t want that right?” Xiumin was desperate now.

“Gangster? How dare you, you little .” The boss started unaware of a twitching Kai. “Don’t compare me to a lowly gangster. I am a well educated business man and I am here to settle business with…you.” He said turning to Kai.

“You have caused me a lot of problems which make me want to torture you which I will, but aren’t you curious as to how I was able to capture you so easily?”

If the straight face was any indication of Kai’s lack of curiosity the boss saw no need to let that hinder his rambling.

“I have an advantage, and from what I hear of you, you never let your enemy have an advantage. You see I have acquired in my arsenal a human weapon that can take you down. He was able to infiltrate your men and get information. Have you by any chance met Mr Pluplu. Show yourself.” The boss called out to his human  weapon who walked out among the random men and stood beside the boss.

“I’m sorry but with a name like that it’s hard to take you serious.” Xiumin said.

“That’s the point.” Mr Pluplu said with a smirk.

“Sorry but do I know you?” Xiumin asked because the guy looked very familiar but he couldn’t put a finger on when they’d met.

“I imagine myself to be one with the world so if you know the world then you know me.”

“I can’t say I’m not disappointed with the lack of fear but all that will be made worthwhile when I kill you.” The boss said.

“Doubt you can.” D.O said sounding too excited for someone bound to a chair and 2 seconds from getting his brains blown out. “Because Kai won’t let you.”

“And he said the magic word.” Xiumin exclaimed as all hell broke loose. In the blink of an eye they were all free and gun shots were fired from their surrounding and if they looked closer they would have noticed men clad in black from head to toe creeping out of the shadow and taking out the boss’ men.

Xiumin had other things grabbing his attention though. In the midst of Tao wooping some and Sehun clinging to Kai (with Luhan abandoned on the floor) D.O was looking around wide eyed and obviously excited.

“I wish I had a camera.”

And to Xiumin’s horror their supposed killer (Mr Pluplu) handed D.O a camera and they started a conversation.

“Are the guns real though?” D.O asked and Mr Pluplu happily pulled one from the boss whose head was locked in Tao’s grip while Kai was saying a few things to him.

He turned to one of the men on the floor and shot his leg. “See, it’s real.”

“Hmm but these guys are so pathetic I don’t think the weapons can make them look cool.”

“True.” Mr Pluplu said tossing the gun aside.

“Excuse me,” Xiumin said feeling a bit stupid to be the only one panicky from the whole situation (excluding Luhan, he’ll just lie later on and mock him about fainting).

“I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but aren’t you supposed to kill us?”

“Ah don’t worry about that, he’s my friend.” D.O said moving away to take pictures of everything.

“Traitor!” The boss yelled from his place in Tao’s arms. “You betrayed me.”

“I was never on your side to begin with so don’t you dare call me a traitor.” Mr Pluplu objected.

“Are your ninja men gone Lay? I wanted to take pictures.” D.O asked.

“I keep telling you, you can’t take pictures of them since they are real ninja.” Lay said. “I feel like it was all a waste of time since this guy here is pathetic.”

“But it was a little fun. Did you see Tao kicking . That was impressive.”

“I will have my revenge on you worthless-” And the boss got a kick to the face courtesy of Kai and slid to the ground unconscious.

“I’m sorry but I’m still confused. What just happened?” Xiumin asked beginning to feel the stress of the whole day weighing him down.

“This is my friend Lay.” D.O introduced the man known as Mr Pluplu. “And he just defeated our abductor with his army of ninja.”

That still didn’t answer any of his questions but he didn’t want to press on further. Maybe next time. He picked up Luhan’s body and dragged him to the van as they all exited the ware house.

“I’ll drive!” Lay yelled as he ran to the driver’s seat.

“I wonder if Kai was a mafia boss in his past life.” Xiumin asked himself.

“I think he is one now.” Luhan said before being dropped to the ground.

“Hey don’t be mad at me, it’s not my fault you didn’t think of pretending to faint. I even got you to carry me hehehe.”

 

Back in the ware house a body rose up from the ground and dusted his clothes.

“Who knew pretending to be dead will actually work.” Nathan said and casually walked away with his hands in his pocket.

 

 


A/N: The next chapter should be the last and it;ll be sort of like an epilogue where i'll explain things that i haven't explained already

till then, bye