Earners, Gifters, and Dreamers

Shadowing a Dreamer

There was a difference between those who earned something and those who were gifted something.

Those who earned felt a sense of accomplishment and pride, knowing that after all that time and effort, they were rewarded something truly deserved. Those who earned had to face multiple challenges and obstacles to form themselves in to better, more knowledgable people. The ones who earned were humble, knowing that they do not need to brag about their brain or materials because they know for a certain that there was no need to brag; as long as they themselves knew that they could achieve greatness, they don't need others to be flaunted with that idea.

The ones who were gifted feels pride, but no accomplishment. They can do small acts of greatness easily and without trouble, giving them the illusion that they could do anything just as easily. They did not need to face such challenges or hardships, for they were seated up against such high position already that there felt no need to go through such difficulty. They flaunted their position to make themselves as high up and better than the ones below them; as long as their greatness was rubbed in to faces of others, then they would be content. High positions meant nothing to them if it didn't produce boasting rights and protection.

My family is a mix between the gifted and the earned, though most are leaned towards the gifted side. My sister, Kim JiEun, is a gifted one. Don't get me wrong because she is pretty knowledgable. It's just that she never pushes herself to do her best. She gets straight A's without a sweat and is gifted with a brand new car. She flaunts it around, saying that she worked so hard and that she was practically dying at the exams to her friends. When she comes back home and I question whether it was really that hard for her, she laughs in my my face and says, "Are you kidding? I finished evey exam so easily that I had more than two hours of free time. Talk about BORING! Everyone knows that I'm just saying that so they don't feel bad about how stupid they really are compared to me." Then she would back to her new car and go to party with her friends, not forgetting to stress out that her car was super expensive and top model. Boasting made her shallow; that was the fault of a gifter. 

My father was an earner. He was not amazingly smart and didn't have large amounts of money or oppurtunity, but he worked hard to earn scholarships to top universities and become a high end surgeon. He can speak a variety of languages from long hours of sitting on his desk with multiple language books. Father did not speak of his many achievements, but held his head high and lectured his children to work harder and focus on studies. He was very admirable, even to me, but he always thought his way was right. He wasn't open minded to new ideas, and stuck with his accomplishments so he can build them up. That was the fault of an earner.

Most of the gifters of my family were typically the kids, whom parent spoiled immensly with money and technology. There were a few earners out of the young such as my younger brother, Kim MyungSoo. Though he was gifted with good looks, he didn't boast. He was quiet and worked his way slowly up to become a top student. His silent demenor looked cold, but he was a social person who would smile a fair amount of times. MyungSoo was the charming one of the family, self teaching himself guitar and getting in to photography. He was more mature than the rest of our cousins, who sneered at his skills and challenged his sleek, chestnut guitar for a more expensive, flashy model. He was a talented musician, but he was to follow the footsteps of my father and become a surgeon. He was okay to throw his dreams away to become what others wanted him to become; that was the fault of those who wanted to be assured of a stable life.

My mother was also an earner, for she studied in the U.S. and recieved a high degree in banking. She worked hard to build up a good reputation and earn money, but she had too many dreams. Literature and arts, as much as she loved and spent most of her time to try and become an artful person, her unpredictable nature and too large of ideas caused her downfall. For what she could become, a successful banker with money to spare, became the blinded dreamer who couldn't be good at what she wanted to be talented in no matter how hard she worked. That was the fault of an earner who had too many dreams, an earner who wanted to be gifted.

Then there was me.

My family was rather extraordinary in what they were made to do, and that included me. I was a musician like my brother, but I exceeded in vocals and music theory. No, my musicality was no illusion created because I wanted to be gifted like my mother. My talent for music was a secret between my brother and I, who encouraged me that I was talented. I wasn't like my sister, who boasted about her skills and material goods that came with such talent. My parents don't even think that music would even be considered by someone like me.

They would lock me in my room everyday with textbooks only to not see the iPod that I kept in my school bag. I'd never start right away on studying, but just lie back on my bed, eyes looking at the ceiling while I paint a picture above with the story depicted from the song. Sometimes songs called out painfully for their lovers, and I would let tears flow from my eyes as the ceiling becomes a painted picture of a crying person lonely on the streets, forever waiting in the rain for the one they love to come. Sometimes songs didn't even have lyrics, but I still created pictures and stories on the blank ceiling without a thought of studies in my head. Sometimes, I don't even listen to music and just let melodies form in my head. They were what left me smiling in the end and gave me the will to just comply to looking in to text books because they assured me that maybe I had a dream in music that could be fufilled. I thought that, if I could just get through school with good grades and show my parents later that I could live a dream life with music, then they would be totally okay. After all, they had both my brother and sister who are striving to fufill their wishes. I'm sure they can spare the middle child, the one they care least about, to do what he wanted to do. Right?

That was the fault of a dreamer.

 

-----

This .

HAI READERS! Sorry for not updating at all in like... a long while. I was on a super long haitus and nearly forgot about this story. This was just a small update, sort of like another introduction to what SungGyu's family was like. I don't really know how I came up with the concept of earners, gifters, or dreamers to be honest ^^;; These were just my views kind of put in to SungGyu's beliefs. My friend saw me writing this and started getting in to the same idea too, calling her mom an earner as well. I'm pretty sure that some gifted people are not completely terrible and everything like I depict, but it's just in the mind of SungGyu, who's only experienced spoiled gifters. I wanted to sort of give an explanation for SungGyu's thought process or it would be pretty confusing later on for when he needs to confront family and stuff. If this is still pretty confusing to you, just comment and I'll try to explain as easily as I can.

Originally, I wasn't going to include siblings for SungGyu, but then I remembered about KIM MyungSoo and SungGyu's older sister and then I was like "Hmmmmmmmmmmm, it would be fun to explain their backgrounds too!" 

So for those who were waiting for WooHyun... Wait some more(?)

ANYWAY for those who liked the story, comment and subscribe. For those who are getting bored of introductions, sorry but I'm a pretty slow writer (judging from such a long update). I'm a pretty slow turtle :DDD but I hope to impress in the future.

 

PAI BAI (have some cute Gyu)