Heartbeat.

Do You Like Men?

"Do you like men?"

Wooyoung felt more than mildly caught off-guard by Nichkhun's sudden question. Coughing slightly to clear the awkwardness he felt, Wooyoung stole a glance to Nichkhun who had seated himself beside him on the sofa. The older man did not give anything away with his expression but seemed to purposely look interested in the bland drama that adorned their TV.

Looking back to his phone and realizing he had lost the game he was playing, Wooyoung figured he could humor his hyung for a while.

"What begs the question?"

Nichkhun shifted in his seat.

"Can't you just answer the question?"

"I want to know why you feel like asking me." Wooyoung felt suspicion rise inside of him. "Did Taec put you up to this?"

"No, no. He didn't- um... I mean, it was I that..." Nichkhun trailed off before sighing. Wooyoung almost felt pity over seeing his best friend struggle so to put his intentions to words, but as this topic isn't particularly comfortable for himself to talk about Wooyoung figured watching his friend squirm for a while couldn't hurt.

"Why do you want to know, hyung?"

Nichkhun the remote control a bit before shutting the TV off and swirling the control around in his hands to keep him occupied.

"It's just that. A few days ago when we were supposed to go out for pool." Wooyoung remembered that. It had been a Wednesday. "Well, you canceled after I told you of the prospect of women joining us." Wooyoung gripped his phone tighter. "I know you haven't dated anyone and you're still young so talking to women can be difficult. I guess I just wondered seeing as this isn't the first time and now that I think about it you haven't really shown particular interest in women." Wooyoung could hear Nichkhun's voice rise. The man was turning red and flustered. What the hell, it wasn't his privacy that was being probed, what did he have to be embarrassed about?

It was fascinating though. How his cheeks got dark pink and he tugged at his lips more than usual. The way he almost dropped the control he was barely paying attention to. The way his throat moved as he swallowed before looking at the younger man.

Oh , he was expecting an answer to something.

Wooyoung his lips.

He hadn't been paying attention.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Wooyoung tried to ask with his most innocent voice, making sure to bat his eyelashes too for added effect.

Nichkhun only rolled his eyes in frustration.

"Yah! Really, don't make me ask you again."

"Nobody's making you do anything." Wooyoung dropped the aegyo and turned back to the game on his phone. "If you don't want to ask we can just drop the subject."

"Fine!" Nichkhun's voice was dripping with frustration. It almost made Wooyoung snicker. Almost. Hyung might have punched him if he did. "Do you like men?"

"ually, romantically or platonically?"

Nichkhun blinked.

"I- uh. W-what?"

Wooyoung smirked. He didn't dare look at his older friend's face in fear of bursting into laughter.

"Well you see," Using a voice one might use with children, Wooyoung was enjoying this far too much, "there's a difference between the three. ually is when you-"

Nichkhun dropped the remote control.

"Yes! Thank you Woo, I know!" Putting his hands up in annoyance it was clear that the man was close to his breaking point. "Can't you just answer the question?" Uttering his words through clenched teeth, Nichkhun sounded far more constipated than inquisitive but Wooyoung figured the other man would not find that as funny as he did so he kept it to himself.

"Can't you specify?" Wooyoung smiled innocently while obtaining a triple combo on his game and successfully clearing the fifth level. Turning his phone off to direct more attention to his flustered hyung, Wooyoung found this to be far more fun. "I'd hate us to misunderstand each other."

Nichkhun took a deep breath.

"I'm not interested in specifics, I just want an answer."

"Any answer?"

Nichkhun furrowed his brows in a way that was supposed to signify annoyance but only looked cute on the Thai.

"Your answer."

Wooyoung tilted his head. His hyung was so easy to torment.

"To what question now again?"

Nichkhun brought down his fist on the sofa, the noise jolting Wooyoung to sit straight and his humor to disintegrate.

"Damn it Wooyoung-ah! Why can't you just answer!?" Wooyoung hadn't realized this wasn't funny to his friend. The man looked flustered and angry, but also hurt. Hurt because Wooyoung was playing with him. Hurt because he had realized it.

Wooyoung looked down into his lap and picked at his fingers. He might not understand why this was so important to Nichkhun but it was obviously hurting the other man that he wouldn't confide in him. Looking at his fingers and feeling slightly ashamed Wooyoung pondered. Did he know the answer? He tugged at his lips. More importantly, did he want Nichkhun to know the answer?

Sighing Nichkhun put his head in his hands. He hadn't meant to scare the boy. This was not turning out the way he planned. Did he even plan this? Looking over at Wooyoung who did nothing to meet his gaze, Nichkhun felt bad.

"I'm sorry Wooyoungie. I shouldn't have yelled, just for-"

"Would you hate me if I did?" Wooyoung did not have the courage to look up from his lap but if he did he would have seen Nichkhun's eyes open wide in shock.

Wanting quickly to smooth things over Nichkhun scooched closer to Wooyoung.

"No-... No! Definitely not. I was just curious." Not knowing how to console the other man Nichkhun focused instead on the subject at hand. Scratching his back and suddenly feeling sheepish he added, "So, does this mean that you're... You know?"

Gay.

"I don't know."

Nichkhun felt dumbfounded.

He hadn't expected that answer.

"What do you mean you don't know? But that's something everyone knows."

"How?" Wooyoung finally raised his head and met Nichkhun's eyes. He wasn't playing any more. Instead he was genuinely interested in what Nichkhun would tell him.

Nichkhun on the other hand felt his cheeks heat up again.

"Wha- how? It's just something you know."

It was Wooyoung's time to furrow his brows, but in confusion rather than annoyance.

"But how, hyung?" Wooyoung stopped talking suddenly and lowered his gaze, but still focused on his friend. "You- you like girls, right?" Nichkhun nodded at Wooyoung's suddenly tentative question. When Wooyoung received that small nod he flinched slightly, something Nichkhun wasn't sure he was supposed to have noticed. "How do you know?"

Nichkhun sighed at the incredibly frustrating and repetitive questions that were asked.

"You just do..." He answered before massaging his temples.

"How?"

To Nichkhun, Wooyoung's gaze was too intense. He felt stupid for not being able to explain proper, and angry that Wooyoung did not get it.

"I don't know!" He finally said, quite harshly. "You just do, okay!"

Which is bull. As silence engulfed them both and they avoided each other's eyes, Nichkhun contemplated his obvious lie. You can't know. You attempt to but how can you ever be sure. It can never be that black and white, because liking someone is more than attraction and uality, per definition, is more than who you desire to have with. Why the norm is to label yourself and never once discuss the subject is confusing to Nichkhun. Disregarding fame, society and the misconception that attraction and uality should be a taboo subject, how people deal with their own uality is strange to say the least. 

Nichkhun himself had done like everyone else: labeled himself over what his preferences were, with a slight if not large part of it founded in society's standard, and then never once touched upon the subject again. Not until Wooyoung had questioned him. How? How did he know he liked girls? Because he found them attractive? Because he found them intriguing? Is it because he had been with women before that he chose to identify solely with heterouality, or because of the stigma that surrounded indecisiveness and open-mindedness in that area in Korea and the world in general? How can you, as Wooyoung tried to ask, be sure that attraction is set in stone and not fluid and evolving with you ever day of your life?

How can you ever know anything to be absolutely true, and if not then how can you label yourself straight or gay or anything in between or above, without the possibility of change?

Nichkhun could feel a headache starting. This was all too fundamental and existential for him to grasp a Sunday morning.

"Just forget I said anything." Nichkhun finally breathed out. He felt bad for ever bringing the subject up. "Really, I don't care any more. You don't have to tell me."

He looked over at Wooyoung and smiled meekly.

Before the silence became uncomfortable and Nichkhun could leave and take his shame with him, Wooyoung grabbed a hold of his hand. Nichkhun looked back at the younger man who seemed to be debating internally for a while, chewing on his lip before meeting his gaze.

"Can I try something?" Wooyoung's words were soft and unsure and Nichkhun could see his cheeks heating up.

Not sure if he'd regret it or not, Nichkhun decided to nod, not trusting his voice any more. Whatever Wooyoung wanted to do it couldn't be harmful, he thought reassuringly, and might help them to better understand each other.

Anything to keep Wooyoung at my side, Nichkhun thought. Anything.

Slowly did Wooyoung move, as if not to scare his friend. He moved closer on the sofa before letting go of Nichkhun's hand to better hoist himself up. Wooyoung straddled his friend with ease, firm legs on either side of the Thai prince's thighs, before placing his and weight on Nichkhun's lap.

Maybe warning signals should be going off in Nichkhun's head, but his mind was eerily quiet as he watched captivated as Wooyoung settled on his lap.

The younger man avoided his eyes. The previous silence was growing thicker but this time with something else rather than embarrassment. This time it was electrifying. A tension, a spark. Something that made it's way through Nichkhun's body and made the hair on his arms rise in anticipation.

Anticipation of what?

his lips and drawing a nervous breath, Wooyoung seemed unsure of Nichkhun's lack of response to his actions but proceeded to do what he had set out to. Gently he once again took hold of Nichkhun's hand and pressed it close to a spot on his shirt directly over his heart.

"Can you feel that?"

Nichkhun almost snorted.

He could feel too much at that moment.

Most of his senses were stimulated to the point where everything else was forgotten. And it was all Wooyoung. He was all Nichkhun could see, all he could feel. He could hear Wooyoung's breathing and smell the mango shower cream on his skin. He looked so small and uncertain, sitting so close and intimately. But he also looked more beautiful and handsome than Nichkhun had ever noticed before. A light blush, albeit getting darker by the second, on his face that looked better today than any other day. Better than on any of the shows they had been to together where stylists and make up artists covered every inch of Wooyoung's handsome complexion with products. Today he looked himself. Young and carefree. Wooyoung's hair uncombed and tousled, as was usual on their schedule-free days, but still sitting perfect like a crown on the top of his head. It was but one sense Wooyoung had yet to invade of Nichkhun's.

Taste.

Did he taste as good as he looked, as he smelled, as he felt?

Nichkhun swallowed hard and forced himself away from those thoughts before it became a growing problem.

"What do you mean?" Nichkhun had to remember how to breathe as he met Wooyoung's eyes for the first time since he had straddled him and sat on his lap. His four words seemed to blow away the last bit of insecurity Wooyoung felt and he relaxed his posture, shifting slightly to make himself comfortable. His eyes were now neither unsure nor nervous but reflected and sparkled with the excitement he felt to be able to teach his hyung something new.

"My heart."

And now that he mentioned it, Nichkhun could. It was beating fast and hard, it's rhythm clear and loud even through his shirt.

Much like his own, Nichkhun thought but didn't get a chance to say before Wooyoung continued.

"You see, I may not have much experience with girls, but I do know what it feels like to be attracted to someone. To say I like girls or men, it's really hard. Have I liked girls in the past? Yes. Could I like girls in the future? Maybe, I don't know. Do I like any girls now? No. They are pretty, or well some of them are, and some are very nice too. I could very well be attracted to them, but do I like them?" Wooyoung looked down at their hands on his chest and smiled. "No. Not like this. To make my heart race, to make it beat irregular. That only happens when you are near. Like now."

Nichkhun felt a familiar warmth spread from his stomach listening to Wooyoung's sincere words. A warmth that made every inch of his body not pressed fully against the other man to itch with want. A want, a desire, that could only be felt when your heart finally reached out to another. To have found that other heart that raced like yours did, whose beat was in sync with your own.

Not a feeling bred from falling in love for the first time, Nichkhun noted and steadied his own breathing.

But a feeling born from realizing you had been in love this entire time.

"Do you feel like this with other men?" Nichkhun had to ask.

Wooyoung frowned as if offended by the words, unconsciously gripping Nichkhun's hand harder to his chest.

"No. My heart always beats faster whenever I'm close to you, Nichkhun. Even skinship and fanservice, which I know isn't real affection, still never fails to make my heart race. But when I do with the other members it's not the same. And I don't really care to find out. I'm satisfied with you. Even if we're only friends and stay friends it will be enough. Because I get to be with you."

Nichkhun felt loved. More than ever before. As if every encounter before this had been leading up to this point, where his friend turned out to be more knowledgeable in love and attraction than himself. Where his friend turned out to be the person he loved the most, a concept that Nichkhun cursed himself from not grasping sooner.

Wooyoung's smile seemed to weaken and Nichkhun realized he had been spent too much time debating in his head and none of it had been made clear to the man sitting in his lap.

How do you start saying something like that anyway? Nichkhun wondered, his vocabulary felt inadequate. Neither the Thai nor Korean language seemed to have words to describe what he was going through. But, he thought, Wooyoung had managed to explain his standpoint.

It's only fair that I show him the same courtesy.

"So what you're saying is that," Nichkhun swallowed his fears and tried to keep his voice leveled as his mind raced to find an adequate response, " you don't necessarily like men, but you like me?" Nichkhun flashed Wooyoung a satisfied smirk, masking his nervous heart.

"Ah, hyung don't make it more awkward! I shouldn't have said anything." Wooyoung complained but seemed amused at Nichkhun's attempt at humor in a situation like this. Shifting slightly Wooyoung attempted to leave but Nichkhun kept him in place by grabbing hold of the younger man's hips.

Wooyoung let out an 'Ooff' as he was forced back to his previous spot, sending Nichkhun a glare for tugging him back so roughly.

"One more question." Nichkhun said smugly, smirk still in place.

Wooyoung rolled his eyes but didn't try to leave. Nichkhun took a deep breath.

"Will you let me kiss you?"

"I- what?" Wooyoung's eyes opened wide in shock, his cheeks turning scarlet in seconds. "W-wae?"

Nichkhun leaned closer.

"It's a 'yes-or-no-only'-question this time Wooyoungie. Will you?"

Wooyoung looked torn. He lowered his head and started playing with his fingers.

Maybe he was scared, maybe he didn't believe Nichkhun was being sincere.

The Thai didn't know how to show the other man he wasn't joking without forcing something upon Wooyoung that he may not be ready for. He wanted the decision to be 100 percent Wooyoung's because otherwise it wouldn't be fair. Nichkhun's body was still filled to the brink with warmth, desire and (dare he say) love. He only wished Wooyoung could feel the same.

Nichkhun let his right hand loosen it's grip on Wooyoung's hip before sliding down his thigh. This caused the other man to jolt up straight as if the touch itself was electrifying, which albeit a satisfying response hadn't been Nichkhun's goal. Tenderly he took one of Wooyoung's hands in his own before placing it against his chest, like Wooyoung had done before.

He intervened their fingers and hoped his heartbeat could tell Wooyoung all the things his words could not.

That his heartbeat was as erratic as Wooyoung's. That it was beating as hard, racing as fast, drumming as loud against his ears as he imagined Wooyoung's did. And that this was because of shared reasons.

I don't like men, Nichkhun thought. But I like you, Jang Wooyoung.

Wooyoung's eyes were now glued to his hand on Nichkhun's chest.

But the question remained.

Will you let me kiss you?

Will you let me be with you?

"I'm going to need an answer to that." Nichkhun said, his resolve faltering when Wooyoung didn't react.

Barely a few seconds later Nichkhun could feel soft, trembling lips on his own. Wooyoung had closed the distance between them in an instant, and Nichkhun blinked a few times before he realized this was actually happening.

At first he was stunned at Wooyoung's uncharacteristically bold action to initiate the kiss, but then it occurred to Nichkhun.

He was sitting on a couch.

With Wooyoung on his lap.

Wooyoung's gentle hands cupping his face. His willing lips on Nichkhun's own.

There was no way in hell Nichkhun was giving this opportunity off.

His hand that had previously been gripping Wooyoung's hips and the other hand that Wooyoung had let go of in favor of cupping Nichkhun's face, s around Wooyoung's body and squeezed the man's firm buttocks.

This earned him a whelp from Wooyoung who arched away from the touch and in so pressed flush against the other man's torso. His lips leaving Nichkhun's for a split second, lips that the Thai was quick to reclaim in open-mouthed kisses.

Wooyoung responded and moved his lips accordingly, opening his mouth for Nichkhun to explore while his own hands settled around the older man's neck.

It was sweet and it was new. It was everything Nichkhun didn't know he had expected, everything he didn't know he had wanted until today. They melded together perfectly, both seeking to show the other how much they felt inside, how much they wanted this. With every of their tongues, with every wandering touch, with every satisfied moan and with every fiber in their body pressed close to each other. No more words needed to be spoken at that time as their hearts' desire were written on their sleeves, clear as day.

And Nichkhun was made aware that Wooyoung most certainly tasted just as good as he looked.

 


A/N: YOU HAVE WAITED FOR SO LONG I'M SO SORRY. Thank each and every one of you for subscribing, I'm deeply moved by your interest in my humble story. I myself have felt a bit Khunyoung deprived lately so this is a senseless ramble of how their discussion might have gone down, as I explained in the foreword. Comments and reviews get showered with love! Please do, you deserve it after subscribing to this simple story and waiting for so long!~