DaeJae - The Scientist

Musical Quickies

Coldplay - The Scientist 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdBym7kv2IM

 

Youngjae sat up in his bed with his arms up in the air for a mighty stretch. He had once hated getting up in the mornings but after living so long with Daehyun, he had grown accustomed to it. In fact Youngjae couldn’t even believe that he used to sleep in until late afternoon. There were so many things Daehyun had changed about Youngjae and so many things Youngjae had changed about Daehyun. Whether or not those changes were for the better or not, that was for others to decide for themselves because quite frankly, neither Youngjae nor Daehyun cared.

Youngjae rolled out of his bed and waddled over to his wardrobe which held a small selection of witty phrased t-shirts and various coloured hoodies. Daehyun always liked to tease Youngjae’s fashion sense. He always called it ‘nerdy and geeky’ but other than that, Daehyun made no attempts to change Youngjae’s styling. But that day Youngjae wasn’t going to wear his usual ‘nerdy’ gear. That day was special and that meant he would have to wear his special celebration suit. It was not only a celebration suit, it was also the only suit he owned but that wasn’t the point. The point was that day was special and Youngjae was going to make sure everything was perfect.

He grabbed his black slacks and white button down shirt from his wardrobe. He headed off to the bathroom but not before he grabbed his pair of briefs Daehyun had gotten for him for Christmas. The moment his eyes laid upon the pair of black briefs with a cartoon devil printed on the back for the time, he glared over at Daehyun. He expected it to be some sort of joke. But Daehyun assured him it was no joke. Youngjae remembered the way Daehyun slinked over to his direction and wrapped his arms around him to pull him in for a kiss. Youngjae turned away from him with a heavy pout and mumbled, “You seriously bought me underwear for Christmas?”

“Yes and no,” Daehyun teased as he kept his fingers laced around the hem of Youngjae’s pants.

“If you think buying me some not-so-y underwear is going to get you some action, you better think again,” Youngjae hissed as he tried to push Daehyun away. He had gotten him an incredibly expensive watch, a fondue set and a brand new iPad and in return he got a pair of slightly cute devil underwear. Youngjae had to admit he was a little disappointed in the arrangement.

Daehyun however clung onto Youngjae tightly and compressed his arms even tighter around Youngjae. “Can you at least try it on? At least do that for me? I mean it’s Christmas; it should be the thought that counts. Besides, you can’t be mad at me all day. We have family parties to go to.”

Youngjae grumbled and shoved Daehyun aside, “Alright fine, I’ll try it on but you don’t get to see it.”

Daehyun nodded as Youngjae walked over to their bedroom. Even though Youngjae didn’t know, Daehyun had heard him mumble, “I can’t believe he’s being such a cheapass,” which only made him smile.

When Youngjae opened the shared bedroom door he completely froze. Sitting on their shared bed was a brand new shiny PlayStation along with a stack of video games.  He wondered over to the electronic and skimmed through the games. Each one of them were the games he had gazed upon longingly every time he walked past a game store. He was surprised that Daehyun even knew what video games were, let alone knowing which ones he had always wanted.

“Is everything okay?” Youngjae heard Daehyun call from the living room in a rather teasing voice.

“Daehyun,” Youngjae had managed to say through a strangled voice, “Daehyun, get your here.”

“You said I couldn’t see you try on your underwear though,” Daehyun continued to jester.

“DAEHYUN!” Youngjae practically bellowed as he continued to stare at the gift before him. He had wanted those games so desperately for so long but he never bothered because he knew how much Daehyun hated video games and always thought they were a waste of money.

“Youngjaeee,” Daehyun sang at the doorway with a smug look across his face.

Youngjae tossed his underwear aside and pulled Daehyun in for a deep passionate kiss. “You are such a tease,” he managed to say between the kiss.

“And for you, I always will be,” he smiled back.

Youngjae shook his head and brought himself back to reality. He tossed the stupidly cute briefs on top of his outfit and looked at his dishevelled state in the bathroom mirror. He never liked the way his hair sat but Daehyun had seemed to love it. He always broke into a smile whenever his fingers got caught in between knots on Youngjae’s hair. Youngjae never understood why but he would always find himself kissing Daehyun until he was satisfied and let him abuse his hair into a rather controllable state.

He stripped himself from his clothes, letting them fall idly on the floor as he entered the shower. He the water and stood under it once it was warm enough. He felt the water cascade down his body as he massaged his weary muscles on his arms. Youngjae couldn’t even remember the number of times he had unknotted the kinks in Daehyun’s tight muscles. It would always seem Daehyun purposely made himself sore so he could have an excuse for Youngjae to touch him. But it was rather stupid because Youngjae would happily rub his hands over his oiled body, excuses or not.

Once Youngjae had cleaned himself he stepped out of the shower, dried himself off and quickly slipped into his tacky Christmas gift from years ago and his suit. He towel dried his hair and attempted to comb it back but as usual it sat in its mess. He considered straightening it to make it somewhat manageable but Daehyun always hated whenever he did do it. “It kills your hair and it makes you look posh. You’re not posh, you’re Youngjae,” Daehyun would always whine, which would always make Youngjae smile.

Youngjae grabbed his things from his room and stuffed them into his pockets as he searched for that one tie he owned. He found it wedged between his old shirts he used as pyjamas. 

As Youngjae made his way out of the house he tied the tie loosely around his neck whilst awkwardly holding his black blazer in the crook of his elbow. When he locked the door behind him, he slipped into it and headed off to the bakery he lived a couple minutes away from. The day was still early but already people were already out on the streets heading off to work.

Once Youngjae reached the bakery he was greeted by an incredibly tall employee. He seemed to be almost towering over the counter but held a beaming smile across his youthful face. “Morning,” he chirped happily as Youngjae returned a smile.

He looked over at the various sweets and pastries the bakery sold. The delightful colours of the fruits, the rich golden browns were all so welcoming but Youngjae was only looking for one thing. “Do you have any mini cheesecakes?”

The boy nodded, “I’ll have to go the back. We haven’t put them out in display yet.”

“I’ll take two,” Youngjae smiled, “And also a regular green tea.”

“Of course,” the boy nodded back as he dashed to the back to retrieve Youngjae’s order.

While he was waiting he took a moment to look around. If Daehyun was in the bakery with him, he would be pressed up against the glass, drooling at all the pastries and sweets. He would complement on how the fruits were glistening because of the sugar syrup coating them and rant on how the actual pastry itself was baked until warm buttery perfection. But Youngjae didn’t really need him to be explaining that to him, the mere sight of them made him drool slightly in his mouth.

“Here you go,” the boy returned with a brown paper bag with a paper cup of steaming hot green tea.

Youngjae paid the boy and who seemed to be nothing but smiles. He took his mini cakes and tea to his actual destination. He walked along the main street, not particularly taking notice of the cars that zipped past him as he slowly sipped his tea. The sky was a welcoming blue and not a single cloud was seen at all. It was one of those perfect days where all you wanted to do was lie on freshly mowed grass and simply enjoy everything around you. The blissful environment seemed to have its effect on other people besides from Youngjae. He took note of how everyone in general seemed a lot more cheerful and happy.

He continued to take the footpath until he reached the end and turned right to hike up a mountain. It wasn’t actually a mountain, it was more like a steep hill but it was a hike nonetheless. Children were already emerging out of their homes for another day of school by the time Youngjae reached the bottom of that hill. The laughter of the children was somewhat infectious; Youngjae struggled to supress a smile.

He had walked for at least thirty minutes when he finally finished drinking his tea and reached his destination. Silvery gates welcomed him as he strolled through, making sure he tossed his empty cup into a bin he walked past. Flowers of every possibly colour decorated the garden that welcomed him as he walked on a little further. Beyond the floral garden were acres upon acres of green pastures. Flowers and toys stuck up like sore thumbs against the horizontal earth but nobody removed them, they were left where they were placed as Youngjae strolled past them to the place where he was meant to be meeting up with Daehyun.

Youngjae looked down at the cement slab with a photo of his dear friend and treasure imprinted into it. In perfect writing the name Jung Daehyun was engraved into it and below it dates, one of them a day of celebration and the other a day everyone wanted to forget. Below that were kind sweet messages of love and admiration. But Youngjae wasn’t there to dwell on the past.

He sat down with his feet crossed and settled the brown bag in front of him. He could almost picture Daehyun sitting in front of him, peering into the bag eagerly. Youngjae took out one of the mini cupcakes, the one with rich red strawberries glistening with their sugar coating and placed it on the concrete slab as if offering it to Daehyun. The other he continued to hold in his hand as he moved the empty bag aside.

There was only one reason why Youngjae was there and so with the brightest smile he could muster, he beamed, “Happy Birthday.” 

 


A/N: This wasn't written for Daehyun's birthday. Well it was but not for actual  Daehyun. I mean its for Daehyun but not the real - you know what I mean.