Sacrifice

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

Minho stared up at his bedroom ceiling. He had gotten home late from the party; it was well past midnight. While chatting with Sulli all night, he had lost track of time. Not only that, he hadn’t realized that Taemin had left the party. It was only later that Onew told him Taemin had ditched the party.
 
A wave of guilt washed over him. He had spent the entire night chatting up his best friend’s girlfriend while Taemin was completely ignored. Not only that, according to Jonghyun and Onew, the party was planned just to cheer him up. What kind of friend was he? He knew he had acted horribly towards Taemin and was determined to make up for it in any way he could.
 
At the party, he had realized two things. Firstly, he had come to terms with the fact that he didn’t see Sulli as just a friend anymore. He knew from the other night when he had wanted to kiss her, and now, when she made him happier than he had been in ages. He had discovered that he truly liked Choi Sulli.
 
However, he had realized something else at the party. He realized that even though he wanted to be with Sulli, he could do nothing about it. She was dating Taemin. To go against that would be complete disrespect towards his friend, especially considering how poorly Minho had treated him lately. Taemin was the type of kind, generous person that Sulli deserved. He wanted to see both of them happy.
 
No matter how much it killed him.
 
 
                                                                                                     *****
 
 
Taemin knew what he had to do. This was better for everyone. Minho and Sulli obviously like each other so who was he to get in their way? They were the two people he cared about the most and he wanted to make them happy.
 
Taemin sat at the back of his favourite local diner, waiting for Minho. A few hours earlier, he had phoned best friend to invite him to lunch. He had a lot that he needed to say to Minho.
 
The door of the diner opened, causing a tiny bell to go off. Minho walked in, wearing a baseball shirt and jeans. Spotting Taemin, he made his way to the back of the diner and sat down in the seat across from his friend.
 
“Hey hyung,” Taemin said when he arrived.
 
“Hey,” Minho replied.
 
They chatted for a bit, carefully avoiding certain topics, before the waitress came to take their orders. After ordering, Taemin decided that it was time to stop beating around the bush.
 
“Listen, Minho hyung, there’s something I need to talk to you about,” he said nervously.
 
Minho cut him off. “If this is about the party, I’m really sorry that Sulli and I ignored you. We were just really caught up in our conversation.”
 
Anger and jealousy flared inside Taemin as he remembered Jonghyun’s house party. He attempted to push his emotions aside. “It’s not about that... Well... It sort of is...” Taemin stumbled over his words. Clearing his throat, he blurted out, "Do you like Sulli?"
 
 
Minho was shocked but he did his best to rid his face of expression. What is it really so obvious that even the often clueless Taemin had figured it out? "What are you talking about?" He pretended to be confused. "She's your girlfriend!"
 
Taemin's face was serious and solemn. "Don't play dumb with me, hyung. I can tell by the way you look at her." Minho was about to protest but Taemin kept talking. "I'm not going to scold you or threaten you or tell you to stay away from her. I can tell you two like each other very much and I don't want to get in the way." Minho was confused. Is Taemin saying what I think he's saying. "Basically, what I'm trying to say is," Taemin continued, "you can have her."
 
Minho's jaw dropped. He could hardly believe Taemin would give Sulli up to him. No doubt, the offer was tempting but he knew that he couldn't accept it. Sulli would remain forbidden. He could not rob Taemin of the woman he loved. Taemin was more important to him than Sulli was.
 
"Taemin-ah, I don't like Sulli. I have been closer with her lately because of my break-up. If I looked at her differently than before it's due to my recent heartbreak," he lied through his teeth, "and nothing else."
 
Taemin was unconvinced. "I don't believe you."
 
Minho knew that he needed to convince him that he wasn't interested in Sulli so that Taemin could be happy. "Listen, I don't like Sulli. In fact, I would love to be able to get Krystal back." He tasted the bitterness of the lie as it passed his lips.
 
Taemin looked uneasy, but dropped the subject. He was getting what he wanted, wasn't he?
 
Sensing the awkwardness, Minho decided he should. "I have to go somewhere," he told Taemin. "But don't forget what I said, I don't like her that way."
 
With that, he left the diner, knowing that he really couldn't have Sulli.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 A/N: Ahh Minsul so close but yet so far....
I am planning and aiming to write longer chapters and add more sub-plots and plot lines in future updates so look forward to it!
Thank you to everyone that subscribed or commented or voted :) I really appreciate it ^_^ Special thank you to nana4ever and kkeiraaa my most loyal commenters - I always look forward to your input <3
 
As always, please comment and subscribe :D