Not in the Mood for Partying

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

When Taemin arrived at Jonghyun's house, it was already full of people. There were people dancing, eating and some even drinking alcohol, though all the students at SM High were underage. In the kitchen, he spotted Jonghyun, Key and Onew in deep conversation.

 

"Is he here yet?" Taemin asked, joining them.

 

"Not yet," Jonghyun responded, "But he told me he would come."

 

It was an obvious choice to pick Jonghyun to host the party because his parents were often away on weekends. In addition, his house was on a big lot so the noise wouldn't disrupt the neighbours.

 

"I also texted Sulli and told her to come but I'm not sure if she's going to show up," said Taemin. He saw Key's expression change when he mentioned Sulli but decided to ignore it.

 

"Maybe we should try to set Minho up with a new girl," Onew suggested, causing the other boys to laugh. "What? I was being serious!"

 

"Who did you have in mind?" Key asked with sarcasm, smirking.

 

"Someone who is sweet," Taemin suggested.

 

"Someone who is cute," Onew added.

 

"Some who is pretty," Jonghyun said.

 

Taemin tried to think of a senior girl who fit this description. The first person who came to mind was Sulli, although she, obviously, was not a possible candidate. Speaking of his girlfriend, the door to Jonghyun's house opened and she walked in. Sulli was wearing a pretty sleeveless blue dress that was tight at her waist but flowed out to her knees. Her long brown wavy hair was pulled up into a ponytail, away from her face. Taemin liked when she put her hair up because he could see her face better.

 

Ditching his friends, Taemin went over to see her. "You look beautiful," he complimented her.

 

"Thank you." She blushed.

 

Bringing her over to Key, Jonghyun and Onew, she greeted them each, thanking Jonghyun for inviting her to the party. Taemin noticed that Key had a strange expression on his face. It was as though he knew something that Taemin didn't (which wouldn’t be surprising, considering Kibum seemed to know everything).

 

Just then, the song changed from a fast-paced 2pm song to a TVXQ ballad. He glanced at Sulli with a questioning look, asking her to dance. Normally, she didn't like to dance with him. She was convinced that she was a terrible dancer in comparison to him. This time, however, she agreed. They walked over to the living room where the other students were dancing. He slipped his arms around her waist as she draped her hands over his shoulder, behind his neck. As they swayed to the music, she rested her head against him.

 

Shortly after, the door to Jonghyun's house opened, revealing Minho who had finally shown up. Taemin felt Sulli stiffen in his arms at Minho's arrival. She was tense, looking up at the new guest. She let go of her boyfriend, hurrying over to greet her friend. Taemin felt a twinge of jealousy. Why was she so excited to see Minho?

 

Then, Taemin noticed something strange. Minho, who had been so sullen and sorrowful the past week or so, was smiling genuinely. His happiness, Taemin presumed, was caused by Sulli, HIS girlfriend. He realized that, maybe, he was starting to put two and two together.

 

As Minho and Sulli began chatting he sulked back into the kitchen, feeling ignored. Key had disappeared off somewhere and Jonghyun was being a flirt with a few junior girls in the other room. Onew was now sitting at the table drinking a coke with Luna. Taemin slumped into an empty chair at the table.

 

"What’s with you?” Onew asked, seeing his friend’s sorrowful expression.

 

"Nothing," Taemin grumbled, but Luna caught on, glancing up at Minho and Sulli in the other room.

 

"Feeling left out?" she teased good-naturedly.

 

Taemin shook his head. "Actually, Minho looks pretty happy in comparison to how he's been acting lately. It seems Sulli brightened up his mood."

 

Yoona, who was getting food out of the fridge and apparently eavesdropping on their conversation, came over. She sat down next to Taemin. "Are you talking about Sulli and Minho?"

 

"Yeah," Taemin said defensively. "What's it to you?" He didn't really like Yoona; she always seemed fake.

 

"Oh well it's just that they seemed to be pretty friendly over there. Since Minho is now single and I knew that Sulli used to have a crush on him, I was just wondering if I had missed something." She smirked. "I guess not". She flipped her hair before leaving the room.

 

"," Luna muttered.

 

Taemin looked at her. "Sulli used to have a thing for hyung?"

 

Luna stared at her hands. Her avoidance of answering the question only confirmed Taemin's speculations. He got up, turning to Onew.

 

"I think I need some fresh air," he told him.

 

                                                                                                          *****

 

Taemin wasn't dumb. He could tell pretty easily what was happening. Sulli had always liked Minho. He could never compare to his best friend. Minho, who had just been dumped, was possibly started to realize that he also liked Sulli. And Taemin... Taemin was the loser whose girlfriend and best friend liked each other.

 

After going outside, Taemin decided that he needed more than just fresh air; he needed to go home. He didn't want to spend the rest of the night being ignored by his two favourite people.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: Sorry this update took so long :/ I've been busy busy busy. I'm going away this weekend but I will try to have another chapter up tomorrow or Friday.

Please lovelies... comment and subscribe :*