Unexpected Call

The One That Got Away

As promised, Eunyoung was going to have lunch together with N. She texted him the first thing in the morning to remind him about his promise. N didn’t reply her text right away, and it made her anxious. He’s not gonna cancel it, is he? She thought to herself.

After 15 minutes which felt like an hour for Eunyoung, his reply came. The incoming message notification hadn’t even finished its ring, she already opened it. She was relieved as soon as she saw the place and time of their lunch. She got over excited as she got up her bed and went to take a shower. She took a little longer this time, as she washed her hair, scrubbed her skin, put on a face mask, and even polished her nails. She then opened her closet and tried on several outfits.

“What happened to her?” Surin asked while standing in front of Eunyoung’s room. Surin was one of the members who lived together with her. They were called Two X, and was prepared to debut in 2 months.

Just as confused as Surin, Jiyou—the leader—shrugged. Suddenly Eun came from the kitchen and chimed, “Must be because of that Hakyeon sunbae, who else?”

“Still Hakyeon??” The two looked at her worriedly, for they knew Hakyeon had a crush on someone else.

By the time they were discussing, Eunyoung was finished changing and already stood in front of them. She wore a simple baby blue semi-dress, matched with white flat shoes and white purse. She put on white headband which made her look even sweeter.

“Hey, what are you guys talking about?” she asked.

Her fellow members were startled, Eun even chocked. Jiyou immediately filled in, “No, nothing. Where are you going?”

“Lunch with Hakyeon oppa!” she answered with a super-wide smile that her eyes looked like twin crescent moons.

She looked at her watch and gasped, “Oh no, I don’t want to be late. I’m going then, bye unnie!” she said before leaving the house.

“I don’t know why but I’m worried…” Jiyou said more to herself, almost like a whisper.

At the restaurant, 11:50 AM...

She arrived 10 minutes earlier, so she picked the seat. She took the place on the corner, near the window. She checked her phone, no message nor call from Hakyeon. She ordered mineral water as she waited for N.

Minutes passed, still no news from N. Eunyoung started to feel anxious, but she decided to wait a little longer. And her decision was right, because N appeared not too long after that. Eunyoung’s face blossomed just by seeing him walking through the entrance door. She waved her hand and he saw him. N approached her and apologized as soon as he was seated.

“I’m sorry Eunyoung-ah, something suddenly came up, so I took care of it first,” N said in a strange gesture, but she didn’t notice it. She was too happy that he came.

“Let’s order then, shall we?” N said to her.

Their orders came altogether, and they started to eat. Eunyoung did the talking most of the time, N only nodded, or smiled, or answered what she asked. Even so, he still tried his best to get interested in her stories.

Suddenly, in the middle of her talking, N’s cell phone rang. She stopped and looked at his cell phone along with him. It was Jiwon. Eunyoung, without even a slight of suspicion, told him to take the call. So he did.

“Yeobose---” he got cut off even before finishing his greeting.

“Hakyeon-ah! I made some macaroons, come and have some! I know you like them,” Jiwon said from the other side.

N was flustered. “Of course, noona! I’m coming now,” his words just flow out even before he knew it. It was reflex.

Eunyoung stopped eating the second she heard him. He’s leaving?

N put down his cell phone and looked at Eunyoung regretfully. “Eunyoung-ah, I’m sorry, I have to go. I’ll pay the bill first…” he said as he hinted the waiter to give him the bill.

Her eyes dilated. “What? Why? But we haven’t finished the lunch…” she sputtered. N gave some amount of money to the waiter and looked at Eunyoung.

“Well, at least I’ve eaten more than half of it. I’m so sorry Eunyoung-ah, see you at school then,” N bid his farewell hastily as his mind already left to Jiwon’s place.

“But, Hakyeon oppa…” she tried to stop him but he already left. Everything happened so fast that she didn’t understand. She immediately stood up to go after him. She was about to reach the door when she bumped hard in to someone. She lost her balance to the gravity which pulling her down. It was merely a second away before she hit the floor when a hand swiftly caught her waist and another hand supported her back.

“Are you okay, Miss?” that person asked with her still in his arms. Eunyoung was still in shock that she didn’t answer right away. After blinking her eyes few times and shaking his head a bit hard, she managed to look at him.

“Yes, I’m fine. Thank you,” she said in a low voice. He then let go of her but still held her hand briefly to make sure she wouldn’t fall.

“Be careful next time, Miss,” he said with a smile before he bowed and left. Eunyoung also bowed and sounded a ‘thank you’ one more time. She then opened the door and went to look for N.

At the restaurant, that man’s friends saw him holding a girl. “What happened, Seyong-ah? Who’s that girl?” his friend called Gunwoo asked.

“I don’t know, she hit me and fell. I just caught her,” he explained.