Her and She

The One That Got Away

It was one ordinary sunny day in Seoul University of Art, one of the best art universities in South Korea. That university was not only famous for its successful alumnus, but also for its luxurious building, facilities, and beautiful gardens. The entertainment agencies in Korea were always excited to come to its graduation ceremony, as they could scout the fresh-graduates there. The university also facilitated their alumnus with “post-graduate programs” such as trainings, body exercises, foreign language classes, and so on.

A student sat on the bench in their back garden—the students’ favourite garden—with a headphone and a music sheet. He was nailing the chorus part when a familiar face appeared, sitting next to him.

“Oppa, my mom made kimbap at home. I brought you some,” the long, wavy red-haired girl said cheerfully while handing over a lunch box full of kimbap to him.

“Oh, thank you, Eunyoung-ah,” N smiled and took a mouthful of it. Sparkle filled her eyes as she saw him eating the kimbap she brought.

“Practicing another song?” she asked. N nodded with his eyes still on the sheet.

“How about having lunch together after class, oppa?” she asked again, full of excitement.

Still not looking to her, N politely rejected, “I can’t, Eunyoung-ah. I have to practice.”

“It won’t take too long, maybe an hour or two. Would you? Please?” she didn’t give up.

“I’m sorry, Eunyoung-ah. But I really can’t, me and my members already have practice schedule today,” he explained as he looked at her, trying his best to put on a smile.

“Please, please oppa… Just this once, please… Yes? Yes?” she begged him with full-force aegyo.

“I said I can’t!” N unintentionally raised his voice. Eunyoung flinched as she was taken aback by his response. Seeing her startled, N immediately changed his tone. He didn’t like to offend other people.

“I’m sorry, it’s just that I really can’t today… What about tomorrow?” he said out of guilty. Eunyoung’s gloomy face suddenly turned even brighter than summer sun. She nodded and jumped off the bench.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then! Hwaiting, Hakyeon oppa!” Eunyoung shouted as she walked away. N let out a long sigh as he watched she left.

It was already about a year he had been putting up with Eunyoung’s one-sided love. It seemed everyone in the university knew that, which made him even more uncomfortable. He didn’t hate her, it was just he hoped she didn’t cling to him all the time.

“Hakyeon-ah!” a voice called him. A voice that would make his heart beat faster everytime.

“Yes, Jiwon noona. Your class has finished?” N greeted him back even though his face felt like burning. Not because of the sun, but because of the rush inside him. He had liked Jiwon for quite some time. Jiwon was their sunbae who had already graduated and even debuted; she took the English class in post-graduate program.

Jiwon smiled. “Yes. You’re practicing again?” she pointed his sheet with her chin.

“Ah, yes…” N answered shyly. Jiwon chuckled before she said, “I’ll be going, then. Hwaiting, Hakyeon-ah!”

“Yes, noona. Please be careful,” N bowed. Jiwon waved her hand before she left. N felt butterflies in his stomach and his face blushed. Well, even though people wouldn’t realize it because of his tan skin.

He put on his headphone and went to the practice room, humming.