One;

The Gangsters Daughter

 

April, 2012.
 
 
------------------------------
 
 
"Do you think you're better than us?" The girl; Kim Ha Neul demanded, shoving me into the metal link fence that surrounded our school. 
 
I bounced once before backing into it again, careful not to look Ha Neul in the eye as she approached me again.
 
"She clearly does!" Another girl sneered, crossing her arms in a mirrored pose to her other three friends, all of who were stood behind Ha Neul as she continuously shoved me back into the fence, making my head spin from the constant back and forth motion. 
 
"Always turning your nose up at us..." Ha Neul muttered. "Who do you think you are? Just because you get better grades you think you're better than us?" She put more power into her shove and I bounced off the fence and onto the dusty gravel of our schools bike sheds.
 
The girls all laughed as I winced and knelt to inspect my knee, which was bleeding.
 
"! Are you ignoring us?" Ha Neul screeched, suddenly grabbing one of my braids and dragging me up. I whimpered at the pinpricks of burning pain radiating from my scalp and flailed my arms, resisting the urge to grab at her fingers and get her off me.
 
I knew from experience Ha Neul did not like that.
 
"Look at you." She chuckled. "Such a quiet, disgusting girl. Don't even think of getting in my way again!" She ordered me, before drawing her spare hand back and slapping me squarely across the cheek.
 
I slammed back into the ground and gasped as my hands scraped the gravel, along with my already sore knee. Despite the uncomfortable position, I stayed down with my head low as Ha Neul and her friends walked away laughing at my expense and even taking the time to empty my backpack out as they walked.
 
Once they were finally out of earshot, I stood up calmly and collected my things back up before walking over to the outside gym toilets, locking the door behind me so not to be disturbed. Taking a deep breath, I glanced at my reflection in the mirrors and sighed.
 
"Damn..." I muttered, turning my face this was and that. I had a long thin scratch spanning from my cheek to my hairline near my ear - most likely from one of Ha Neul's rings when she struck me. Next I examined my hands, which were red from gravel burn but thankfully not bleeding. My knee, however...
 
"Crap!" I hissed, as I picked out a chunk of gravel from the cut. Reaching bellow the sink close to the wall, I unclasped the travel sized medical box and took out a plaster, cotton swab and some disinfectant and got to work silently, biting my lip to keep from crying out. 
 
Once the wound was sorted, I put the box back and set to work sorting out my hair and clothing, rolling my skirt up so it rested just above my knees, I loosened our school tie and undid some of the shirt buttons, before pulled out my braids and clipping away parts of my hair with sparkly clips I had pulled from my bag, whilst tying another part of my hair up with a bobble. It was wavy from the braid, but it was still presentable. 
 
Next I pulled out my makeup bag from under another sink and began applying a light application of mascara and lipgloss. Satisfied, I stashed the makeup under the sink next to the medical bag and took a look at my reflection in the mirror.
 
Looking back at me was not the timid, geeky Ha-Na, who kept her head down and studied rigoursly, ignoring everyone around her, but confident, fashionable Ha-Na who has tonnes of friends and was outgoing. Or at least, that was the images was going for, anyway.
 
Unlocking the bathroom door I peeked out, making sure nobody was about. Satisfied I wouldn't be seen, I hurried towards the back of the school, where I climbed over the wall and into the street, quickly crossing over and hurrying a few streets down, where a huge SUV was parked with out windows. Without hesitating I jumped into the back and flashed the driver and the passenger a bright smile.
 
"Aah school was horrible today." I complained in way of greeting. 
 
The driver, Jae-Bin chuckled as he put the car into drive and set off. The man in the passenger seat; Dong-Hyun turned in his seat to face me, giving me an amused expression.
 
"You always say school was- Eh?" He suddenly exclaimed, leaning towards me with wide eyes. "What's that scratch on your face?" I touched my cheek gently and rolled my eyes.
 
"I caught myself on a low tree branch during gym, can you believe it?" I huffed, pouting as though angry. "Now my beautiful face is marred. You don't think this will scar, do you?" I demanded quickly, appearing worried.
 
I knew for a fact a small scratch like this wouldn't even scab all that badly. Still, it helped ease Dong-Hyun's worry. 
 
"Nah, I've had stab wounds deeper than that which haven't scarred." He scoffed. Next to him Jae-Bin nodded enthusiastically. 
 
"Yeah, a puny thing like that won't even be there that long." He added, eying me through the mirror. I sighed in relief.
 
"Ah, I'm so glad. So, where am I meeting Papa this time?" I asked conversationally, noticing we weren't heading towards our apartment in Sinsa-Dong*. 
 
"We're heading to Hannam-Dong in Yongsan-Gu." Dong-Hyun informed me as he fiddled with the cars radio. I frowned. 
 
"Why? What's there?" I tried to think if Father had any business there, but honestly, he had so many it was hard to keep up. Still, he only visited his large ones, and as far as I knew, none of those were in Hannam-Dong.
 
"Ah, you're going to like this." Dong-Hyun grinned. "It's a surprise!" I rolled my eyes and slumped back in the leather chair.
 
Their idea of surprises were ridiculous, normally involving violence of some sort. Needless to say, I wasn't excited, instead fishing into the side of the car door for my iPod and plugged in my earbuds, turning the volume up and losing myself in the music. But it seemed like moments later when i was quickly pulled out of my own world as the car came to a stop and Jae-Bin rolled down his window. Popping an ear bud out, I looked about us curiously. 
 
We were half in an underground parking lot, though we was obstructed by a security guard, who approached the drivers side of the car and eyed it curiously. Although I couldn't be seen through the windows, I still made sure to sit up a little straighter as he approached Jae-Bin's window.
 
"No ID, no entrance." The guard snapped in greeting. 
 
Jae-Bin help out a letter which the guard read quickly before raising his eyebrows in surprise. He stepped back and held out his hand, gesturing us to drive forward. 
 
As the car rolled into the small car park, which although was ground level was actually bellow a building, I noticed a group of girls sat down on the floor outside the building, watching our car closely. I watched them back, confused. Where the Hell were we?!
 
Once parked, Jae-Bin and Dong-Hyun hopped out of the car, though I waited as Jae-Bin opened my door before stepping out. All eyes of the girls sat outside the building turned towards us and I knew we stood out, and not in a good way. Both Jae-Bin and Dong-Hyun were wearing all black suits with their ties loose and their buttons undone, sleeves rolled up and their white shirts peeking out under their suit jackets. Their arms were covered in tattoos, and both looked menacing and rugged whilst I was in my school uniform, which too was worn sloppily. 
 
Following Jae-Bin and Dong-Hyun, we approached a door bellow the building which lead us into the lobby of the building. Imediately I stopped in my tracks as I caught sight of the reception desk, my heart freezing in place. Could it be....?
 
"Wait... Why are we here?" I demanded, staring slack jawed at the huge plaque behind the reception desk.
 
We were at TS Entertainment!
 
The receptionist glanced up at us as I spoke and I could see the disapproval in her expression as she took in Dong-Hyun and Jae-Bin, who were striding around like they owned the place, which was no surprise. They always acted over confident. 
 
"Excuse me, can I help you?" She asked snottily. Dong-Hyun gave her a look that I can only describe as leering. He was a er for a pretty Noona, and this girl, who was only possibly in her late twenties, was pretty. 
 
"Ah nah, we're good." He drawled, leaning on the desk, causing her to scowl. "We have an appointment with Manager Dong-Won." Her eyebrows shot up and she glanced at her computer screen. 
 
"Uh... you're with Mr. Lee Hyun-Shik?" She asked nervously, naming my Father. Dong-Hyun gave her a toothy smile.
 
"Yup. So, what's a pretty thing like you doing working behind the desk, eh? Shouldn't you be..."
 
"He's at it again." I sighed to Jae-Bin, who was watching Dong-Hyun flirt with amusement. 
 
"It's to be expected." He sighed. "Come on. Your pops is probably wondering where you're at." I nodded and followed him into the elevator, leaving Dong-Hyun to do his thing whilst I began to have a sudden shortness of breathe. This was almost too good to be true, being in this building! I was way too excited. 
 
We went up three floors before the elevator stopped and Jae-Bin lead me down a wooden corridor past dozens of doors to the end, where a set of double doors sat. The plaque outside read: Manager Dong-Won, the guy we apparently have a meeting with. As Jae-Won raised his fist to knock on the door I stopped him, shaking my head.
 
My heart was going into overdrive of nerves.
 
"Wait. I need to prepare myself." I muttered, taking a deep breathe. Jae-Won have me a puzzled look. 
 
"Prepare yourself for what? You're only meeting you pa."
 
"Do you even know what this place is?" I sighed at his ignorance. "It's TS Entertainment!"
 
"Yeah, and?" He asked. I rolled my eyes.
 
"Ugh, I give up. Come on, lets just go in." I muttered. Jae-Won shook his head, clearly confused and knocked hard on the doors, before pushing one open. 
 
As we stepped inside, I immediately spotted my father sat in one of the huge plush chairs smoking his usual cigar and holding a glass of brandy in the other hand. He was wearing his typical dark suit, though his was immaculate unlike Jae-Won's and Dong-Hyun's. Across from him was an older man, plump in size and also drinking a glass of brandy in a smart looking suit. He was red faced and looked nervous, a typical response around people who dealt with my Father. The office was huge, decked out with sofas, a large screen TV, a big expensive looking desk, fish tank and even a mini bar. 
 
At our entrance my Father gave Jae-Won a brief nod, his cue to take a place along the wall and remain silent. To me he smiled and gestured to a sofa between the him and the older man.
 
"Ah my beautiful Ha-Na. How was school?" He asked. 
 
I quickly bowed to them both and sat down, casting the older man a curious look before answering fathers question. 
 
"It went well, the usual." I Answered politely. Catching my look, my fathers smile broadened. 
 
"That's good to hear. Let me introduce you; Ha Na, this is Dong-Won, the current leading Director of TS Entertainment. Director, this is my only daughter, Ha Na."
 
I quickly stood up and bowed lowly. 
 
"Nice to meet you!" I greeted him politely. He returned my bow with an incline of his head.
 
"And you." He mumbled. He was clearly uncomfortable. I quickly sat back down and fidgeted. I had no idea why my Father was here, of all places. 
 
"I'm sorry to be direct... But why is your daughter present here?" The director asked of my Father, who just smirked.
 
"As my only heir, I think it's fitting she be present during my business meetings." He drawled. The director stiffened and cast me an uneasy look, which we all ignored. I was used to his kind of thing.
 
What confused me, however, was what business my father could have with an entertainment business. 
 
"As you know, you are behind with your repayments." My father suddenly spoke, as though carrying on a conversation. The director sat forward, his face shiny from sweat.
 
"If you could just give us a little more time... One of our most popular groups will be having a comeback soon, then we will certainly-"
 
"When? One week? Two weeks? A month? All of those is too late." My father interrupted briskly. "I already have made plans to sell my shares." If possible, the red faced Director suddenly paled. 
 
"Wait! Please, before you-"
 
"Actually... You may know the buyer, director." My father went on, clearly enjoying himself. "Does the company SM Entertainment ring a bell?" He asked.
 
I gasped along with the Director.
 
"You would sell our stocks to our rival?" The director demanded breathlessly. My father shrugged and took a sip of his bandy.
 
"Indeed, they are offering a price that will make me quite a profit. That is... Unless you are able to pay back the owed money by say... Tomorrow afternoon?"
 
"There's no way I can come up with such a large amount by tomorrow!" The director panicked. "Please Mr. Hyun-Shik. If you would just give me a little more time-"
 
"You've had more than enough." My Father snapped, shaking his head. "The offer has been made, and tomorrow, unless you can pay back the money owed, I will accept it."
 
An uncomfortable silence filled the room whilst I processed what was being said. Somehow, my Father had come into possession a lot of TS Entertainment shares, shares which he planned to sell to TS Entertainments rival, SM Entertainment. Which would mean...
 
"No!" I suddenly found myself shouting. Everyone turned to look at me in confusion, except my father, who looked as amused as usual. 
 
"What's wrong, my dear?" He asked. I quickly stood up, too pent up.
 
"You can't sell to SM Entertainment!" I exclaimed, shaking my head. "They will wreck everything!" 
 
"Oh?" My Father noted, clearly not bothered in the slightest.
 
"Please Father, don't do this! You know how much I love music, don't ruin this for me!"
 
"I'm not intentionally doing anything to you, Ha Na dear. This is simply business. A deal has been made, and unless the director here can repay me back the money he owes... I will accept the deal."
 
I began to panic myself before an idea came to me in a burst of inspiration.
 
"Then make a new deal!" I demanded. 
 
As predicted, Father looked curious.
 
"What kind of deal?" He asked slowly. I could see the Director watching me with a mixture of hope and interest.
 
"What if... What if we made a bet." I spoke slowly, making sure I worded everything right. Fathers eyebrows shot up.
 
"Go on..." 
 
"What if... What if I became a Trainee here. Wen I debut, I could earn back the money owed." I suggested recklessly. The directors mouth dropped open, stunned, whilst my father burst into amused laughter.
 
"Do you realise how much is owed, Ha Na? It's impossible that you could possible earn back such a large amount."
 
I faltered, but my father went on, seemingly inspired.
 
"However... I am interested in this bet, but perhaps we could change it somewhat?" He looked to the Director, who nodded his head enthusiastically. "I know how much you dream to be a singer, Ha Na." Father acknowledged. "So I'll give you the opportunity. If you can debut as an Idol in a year... Then I won't sell the company."
 
"What?" The Director demanded excitedly. I felt my face lighting up with a grin. 
 
"But there are conditions." Father went on. "Nobody else must know of this deal other than who is currently present in this room. You must debut on your own skill, and without any help from the Director. If anybody finds out, then the deal will be called off."
 
"Wait... That's impossible!" The Director gasped, but I quickly stepped in.
 
"I accept! But you too, Father, cannot do anything to sabotage my chances. You must allow the Director to take control of the company. And you can't interfere in this year."
 
"Fine." He smiled. The director stood up, shaking.
 
"It's impossible!" He repeated. "Her chances of debuting in a year are... Are impossible!"
 
"Then what would you suggest, Director?" Father drawled. "I won't wait longer than a year."
 
"At least allow me to give her a tutor! Somebody to help her progress beyond that of regular trainees!" Father considered this a moment.
 
"Fine. She is allowed a personal tutor in dance and vocals, but even they must not know of this deal. If Ha Na cannot debut in a year, then I will sell this company to SM Entertainment, and you Ha Na... You must promise to give up on wanting to be a Idol, and will agree to attend a Business School in America."
 
I felt my heart sink.
 
It was an argument we had been having since I had entered high school. Father wanted me to go to study business abroad, whereas I wanted to stay in Seoul and practice my dance and singing. I had always dreamed of being an idol... He knew this. What he was asking of me was to gamble my own dreams.
 
"But if I debut..." I quickly spoke. "You will allow me to follow my own dream? You'll give TS Entertainment back to the Director and leave me to be an Idol?"
 
Father nodded calmly.
 
"Yes." 
 
I bit my lip nervously and looked to the director, who looked back at me just as agitated, now sitting back down. There was a lot hanging in the balance here, not only TS Entertainments future, but also my own. This was going to be a huge risk on my part, since everything came down to me. Suddenly, I was loosing my confidence. 
 
One look at my fathers smug expression, though, and I felt a rush of determination. He wanted me to decline, knowing how much I was against business school. He expected me to turn this down.
 
No chance.
 
"Fine, then I accept."
 
"Perfect." father smiled cooly. "Jae-Won, contact my lawyers and have a contract written immediately."
 
Jae-Won bowed lowly. 
 
"On it. Leader." He slipped his mobile from his pocket and began dialling as he left the room. 
 
Father leaned back in his chair casually, whilst I sank back down in the sofa, stunned as everything rushed back to me, my brain processing in overdrive. I had just agreed to debut as an Idol in a YEAR, all pretty much on my own skill. If I can't do this, not only will SM Entertainment own TS Entertainment, but ill also be forced to attend a business school in America, giving up dance and singing forever.
 
Dear Lord.
 
What the Hell had I just agreed too?
 
 
 
 
------------------------------
 
 
 
Authors Note:
 
 
Hehe, hope you liked this first chapter! 
 
Just a note: qTheir apartment in Sinsa-Dong is in the Gangnam providence. It's a very upscale apartment, in an upscale part of town.