1000 Words

1000 Words

Luhan's desktop was surprisingly bare. The background was set to a factory picture and there were only two icons. The first was for the internet, which was the sole purpose of Minseok's use of Luhan's computer. The second icon just said <1000 Words>. He really didn't mean to double click the wrong one. Really. At least this is what he tells himself as a window pops up displaying a file full of pictures.  Of Chanyeol.

This is strange and intriguing so he clicks on SlideShow. The first set of pictures goes by and shows Chanyeol looking up with adoration in his eyes. Curiosity makes him check the file names and the one he stops on his labelled as 0050K. A while later the expression changes and file after file of Chanyeol's widest smiles and craziest eyes scrolls past. He has a thought and checks the filename to confirm. 0120BH. Each picture is beautifully captured and in some cases better than the official photos they have had taken since debut. Minseok knows, of course, that Chanyeol is attractive. What he hasn't realized is how beautiful he is. He suddenly feels like a voyeur, seeing Chanyeol as Luhan sees him rather than as the rest of the world sees him.

He has just reached 0324JI when Kris wanders by and starts watching over his shoulder. He is so lost in the many faces of Chanyeol he doesn't notice that nearly every member is now standing behind him. He notices at 0768SH because he hears Chanyeol clear his throat.

"I didn't know you liked me so much, hyung."

"That's not Minseok-hyung's laptop," Jongdae says before Minseok can reply.

"It's mine."

They collectively jump as Luhan gently closes his laptop and with a sweet smile tucks it under his arm. He tries to walk away but Chanyeol stops him.

"Hyung, why do you have so many pictures of me?"

Luhan looks back over his shoulder and his smile is sweet. "I'm just trying to decide which of your many faces is the real you."

"Ouch," says Chanyeol mockingly and laughs to dissipate the tension in the room.

Everyone disperses and Minseok follows Luhan to his room.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Luhan approaches him and pinches his cheeks. "The files weren't locked or hidden. I would have been curious, too."

"How many photos are there total?"

"Eight hundred ninety-nine."

"One hundred per member?"

"You cracked my code, I see." Luhan laughed.

"It wasn't difficult. Somehow I think you wanted to be found out."

Luhan shrugs. "It doesn't really matter to me."

Minseok doesn't believe him, so he spends the next several days considering Luhan and his files of pictures before hatching a plan that is possibly the most utterly brilliant thought he has ever had. He first enlists the help of Kris, knowing that would ensure Baekhyun's participation, then asks Suho because he knows the leader won't tell on him.
 
It's a good thing they are all used to having random cameras and phones stuck in their faces so no one notices anything amiss. The one thing they do notice is Luhan taking pictures of Chanyeol. Chanyeol sends a lot of puzzled glances towards him. He and Luhan have never been particularly close, and he doesn't know what to say or do. Yet the more he watches Luhan watching him, the more interesting he finds his hyung. His hair is still cotton candy pink and he thinks it suits him. He knows enough to not consider Luhan to be in any way effeminate, but he is soft and sweet and the smiles he gives so freely to his friends are always genuine. He decides he likes it when Luhan laughs unrestrained and suddenly finds himself trying to be the cause, and he thinks they have talked more in the past week than in the past 2 years.

He still doesn't know why Luhan takes so many pictures of him and he isn't sure he wants to ask because he might be disappointed.

Two weeks after the discovery Minseok hands Luhan a flash drive and a neatly wrapped present with the instructions to open the files first and then open the present.

He opens a power point presentation and the first slide reads:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words which means you have written a story of 1,100,000 words, but the story still lacked an ending, so here are the last 100,000.  The next slide was labelled 0900L and it showed a slightly confused Chanyeol looking across a room. As the pictures progressed the looks became less confused and more curious. Then the curious looks became fond looks and the fond looks became serious looks, but the last slide read 0999L, not 1000L.

Luhan was surprised to see that his hands were shaking as he carefully unwrapped the gift.

There was a note on top of something wrapped in tissue paper.

But sometimes all you really need is 1000 words to tell a story that is complete and whole within itself.

The tissue paper trembled in his grasp as it was slowly removed to reveal the back of a frame. When Luhan turned it over the last picture was inside. It was a picture of Chanyeol, which he had been expecting, but what surprised him was that he was in the picture as well. So to follow Minseok's thought he studied the photo to find the words it held.

At first glance he saw two friends smiling and having fun.
At second glance he saw the way he fit into Chanyeol like a puzzle piece that has found it's home.
At third glance he saw the faint blush across his cheeks and the smile was suddenly shy instead of broad.
At the fourth glance he saw the way Chanyeol looked at him with tenderness and that his smile was wry.
At the fifth glance he saw that Chanyeol's hand was reaching towards him hesitantly.
And at the last glance the story was complete.

 


A/N: I really need to stop reading the prompts at the prompt meme. and this story is exactly 1000 words. because i have ocd.