Part I

Firsts

 

"______-ah, why are you so dressed up today? Are you really this excited to see me~?" Daehyun calls lying in his favorite spot in the middle of the practice room as you enter. You purse your lips, looking down at yourself with furrowed brows. You're not that dressed up. At least you hope you aren't anyway. You're going on a date today, nothing fancy just sightseeing around the city, casual stuff. It's springtime so your date planned this to really wow you with all the flowers and things, you're sure. Trying not to smile to yourself you smooth out your expression and give Daehyun a roll of your eyes.

"You should probably reassess your standards if this is dressing up for you." you retort padding over to him.

"Don't deny that you thought of me while picking out which outfit would impress me most." he throws back giving you a cheeky grin. Actually, you did have someone in mind but, not him. He's your best friend, you're not about to freak out for an hour about what to wear without trying too hard or not caring enough. Crossing your arms as you stop beside his sprawled form you peer down at his smiling face, all too pleased with himself this morning. Cocking your head to the side you give him an expectant look.

"Where's Jae, I want to see him off too." you say nudging his side with a foot. Daehyun rolls to avoid it, giving you a mock offended look.

"Rude, what are you doing to your oppa like that?" he chides sitting up with another cheeky grin. You resent him for pulling out the "oppa" card, he knows you hate and does it purposefully as often as he can. Despite it being fact that he is indeed your elder (and oppa in turn) you've known him long enough that you've dropped all formalities with him, even if he is a big shot idol now (he's got enough girls calling him oppa already, no need for you to do it). You do use it to your advantage when situation calls for it though (he's such a er for aegyo it's a little ridiculous, Youngjae on the other than is a harder nut to crack).

"Nothing, just asking him about the friend I like more." you reply innocently.

"Nice try but, I know you love me more than you like Jae." he shoots back just as innocently. You groan and turn to the door, hoping Youngjae will just walk in rather than you going out to find him. "You know, Jae's not here right now. He's coming in late with Himchan hyung." Daehyun pipes in as he hops up to his feet.

"Really, I wanted to see him off though..." you mutter with a small pout. Daehyun's lips pull to the left and he ruffles the top of your head.

"Look who's being a good little maknae for once." he coos sarcastically. Swatting his hand away you fix the disheveled strands of your hair (which you actually spent time to do) and frown at him.

"See, this is why I wanted to see Youngjae. He teases me but not as much as you do." you say accusingly. Daehyun raises his hands in surrender, grinning amusedly.

"Hey, you know I do it because—"

Your phone goes off, ringtone interrupting Daehyun's likely smart aleck response. Reading the caller's name you can't help but smile and eagerly unlock your phone to answer. Bringing it to your ear you greet your date excitedly, turning your back to Daehyun.

"Hey, I'm just calling to make sure you're not flaking out on me." he says, hint of a smile in his voice. Your smile widens and your stomach flips just thinking about seeing him.

"Of course not, I've been looking forward to this all week! You weren't hoping I would, were you?" you ask suddenly paranoid. It's not unlikely, this guy is really good looking, and he’d have no problem finding a different, prettier girl to go on this date with instead (in literally no time at all). He could grab anyone off the street and they'd go anywhere with him without question. All the girls at your university definitely would. Seriously though, that he asked you out at all is a miracle. Like you said, he's so good looking that he's atrociously handsome.

He laughs a rich and smooth sound that makes you want to melt. Did you forget to mention that his voice is absolutely amazing? And it has a slight accent that makes his speech so cute and endearing.

"Of course not, I've been looking forward to this all week." he honestly recites back. You bite your lip to stop from making a stupidly girlish noise. He's just so... so... ahh~

"Anyway, I'm heading out right now. I'll meet you at that little cafe, the one we first met at, alright?" he asks. You want to throw your phone and scream in a fit of happiness. He actually remembers where you first met?! That awkward day where you accidentally tripped over his friend's stuff and ran into him? Actually, you're not sure if you should be pleased about this or not but, still! He remembers that's what matters.

"Right, okay, I'll see you there, oppa!" you reply already walking out to do so. As you hurry out of the practice room you start to stuff your phone into your pocket when it's snatched from your hand. Startled you whirl around to see Daehyun staring expressionlessly at its screen. You suddenly feel a little bad. You completely forgot he was here; too busy talking to your date to remember. That doesn't mean he has the right to just dig through your phone though.

"Give that back, I have to go." you say holding out a hand to him. He ignores you and proceeds to unlock your phone. You panic and freak out at him. "Yah, Jung Daehyun, give me back my phone now! What are you doing?! Give it back!" you shout lunging at him for the device. First of all, how did he get into your pass-code protected phone? Second, what is he doing on it? And third, if he doesn't give your phone back you are going to be late for you date. No way in hell are you letting that happen, not on your first date and especially not with who your date is.

Daehyun has no problem warding you off and doing whatever it is he's doing on your phone at the same time. Reaching around him you try to grab his arm to pull it back to no avail (he's pretty strong for how thin he is). Gradually growing annoyed you hit the back of his head, which does actually accomplish something other than just getting your frustration out. Unprepared for the blow he drops the phone and it clatters to the ground. You push him aside and scoop the device into your hands. Scrolling through it quickly you see he went onto your recent calls and then onto your contacts. Just one contact in specific, your date's.

"Who is he?" It sounds more like a demand than a question, a bitter and sarcastic statement. You lock you phone and shove it into your pocket, refusing to look Daehyun in the eye.

"A friend, not that you ever cared to hear about him. Now, if you're done looking through my personal stuff I have to go meet him." you answer turning sharply on your heel to continue on to the door. This time you're stopped by your wrist. Exhaling slowly you look over your shoulder, trying not to snap at him and make this into some stupid fight.

"This is a date, isn't it?" he deadpans, eyes hard.

You're caught off guard by how serious he is, unused to anything other than your goofy, teasing, and hungry best friend. However, you’re not surprised enough to deter your bubbling irritation.

"What if it is?" you retort narrowing your eyes.

Daehyun gives you the darkest look you've ever seen on his face in all the years you've known him.

"Don't go.”

That's it, you're done with trying to play pacifist.

"Why shouldn't I? Am I not allowed to go on dates? Am I just supposed to cancel on him last minute because you choose now to care about my personal life? Who are you to tell me not to go? You're not my brother, you're not my boyfriend. Even if you were you'd still have no right to tell me what to do and what not to. Dammit Daehyun, he asked me out and I like him, a lot, okay? Is that what you wanted to hear? I don't even care, just let go of me I have a date to get to." you snap jerking out of his grasp. Before he can do anything else to stop you, you storm out of the practice room, highly annoyed. Who does Daehyun think he is? Who is he to tell you not to go on this date, your first date? He didn't care enough to listen to you talk about him before, why choose now to give a crap?

Too busy fuming to yourself you don't notice someone walking down the hall to the practice room. "Hey, _____-ah, what's with the evil look on your face? You may want to fix that expression before you head out into the general public." Youngjae calls as you walk toward each other. Coming out of your angry reverie you blink and feel impossibly relieved to see the best friend that isn't pissing you off.

"Jae, where were you? I wanted to see you off before I left for the day." you say managing a small smile. You honestly don't think there's been another time you've been more grateful to see Youngjae's cheerful, round face in your life. His squish is like a stress reliever. Thank goodness, otherwise you'd be in a bad mood on your date.

"Aw, that's nice of you to rub in the fact that you've got a date and I don't." he jokes pausing by you to talk briefly. You roll your eyes and give him a light shove.

"Don't worry. You've got girls lining up and dying to date you. I'm lucky to even be going on this one at all, I'm finally going on my first date!" you say getting giddy again. Your first date with the most handsome boy at your university, just minutes away!

"Ah, my little girl's growing up so fast! Going on dates with one-hundred-eighty-two centimeter tall boys with an adorable accent and breathtaking smile—Just make sure you don't go and get pregnant, no matter how tempted you are just remember to use protection and—" You punch him in the arm as hard as you can.

"Shut up, Youngjae! You're so stupid, don't say things like that! You make it sound like I'm some kind of animal!" you half-shout hitting him again.

"Ow, okay, okay, I get it! I was kidding, jeez!" he exclaims holding his hands in front of him to fend off anymore abuse. You laugh, feeling all your earlier annoyance dissipating. He grins at you and puts a hand on your shoulder. "Seriously though, have fun and make sure that guy knows exactly what you're about. If he tries anything on you, kick his and let us know so we can beat the living crap out of him for you later. He sounds like a good guy though, I'm sure you'll have a good time. See ya later then, have a great first date." he says sincerely. Though being the younger of your two close friends, Youngjae acts more like the older brother to you than Daehyun does. He's a lot more realistic and serious about everything than Daehyun is which is why you find yourself talking to him more often about these kinds of things than Daehyun.

"Thanks, Jae, you're the best." you return gratefully.

He nods and ushers you down the hall saying, "I know, I know, now get going before he thinks you've found another boy to date and gets depressed then leaves to go find a nice place to die."

"You need to shut up already!" you retort doing as he says and rushing the rest of the way down the hall to the stairs.

"Maybe it'll be a quiet park in a bed of flowers!"

"You're the worst person alive!" you shout up hopping down the stairs.

"It's usually pleasant this time of year with lots and lots of flowers!"

"Bye, I hope you die single too!"

"I can't hear you over the sound of your beautiful date blowing his brains out!"

“Enjoy dying with Daehyun alone!"

"Remember, protection!"

"You're so dead when I get back."

"Have fun!"

And then you're out in the spring breeze, hurrying to get to the cafe where your date awaits.

-

A few blocks over in the middle of downtown you find the little hole-in-the-wall cafe and smile to yourself. Slowing to a walk you smooth down your clothes and straighten your hair before pushing into the cozy little store. Scanning the tables your stomach flips when you spot the organized mess of tousled dark brown hair. With one last check of yourself you casually, with composure, walk to his table to the open seat before him. When he sees you he stands, all one-hundred-eighty-two centimeters of him, and his face breaks into that handsome smile of his.

Why did he ask you out again?

"Hey, I was beginning to think you really did flake out on me." he teases, waiting to sit until you do. You mentally gush about what a gentleman he is and smile a little more.

"I'm not that late am I? Besides, if I showed up any later one of the waitresses might've just taken my place." you say discreetly nodding to the one ogling him the most. He doesn't even look at her, gaze concentrated on you.

"I wouldn't let her." he says, a slow smile gracing his perfect features. You do your best to remain calm and not have a premature "fangirl" fit. To do so you fidget with your hands under the table, doing your best to appear in control of your senses.

"You look uncomfortable, are you having second thoughts?" he asks smile dampening just a tad. Your attempt to seem normal was apparently not good enough. Panicking you shake your head and spew more nonsense than words.

"No, no, no, I'm not! I'm just really nervous because this is my first date and I'm not really sure how these things work. I mean, you're a senior too and I've never been on a date before. I really hope you're not regretting asking me on a date, you're the first person to ever ask me—I hope I'm not blowing this. Oh my god, I should probably stop talking now, this is not how dates are supposed to go. Right? I wouldn't know, this is my first date—" you pause; face flushing an ungodly red, "I'm so sorry, I'm just really... nervous and awkward." Wow, maybe you should just quit while you're behind and run away after you permanently drop out of university and then jump into the ocean and swim to the middle of the Pacific Ocean then die single and alone like you told Youngjae to.

Why did he ask you out again?

He laughs, you're not sure if that's a good or bad sign, and gives you one of his breathtaking smiles. You savor it, figuring this is the last time you'll ever see it directed at you ever again. Preparing for the worst you flinch slightly when he opens his mouth to speak.

"This may not be my first date,"—of-freaking-course not, any idiot with eyes can easily see that this man has no problem with getting dates whenever he feels like it—"but, this is the first date that I've been on with someone as endearingly genuine as you." he admits, eyes bright with sincerity. You try your hardest not to do anything stupid from glee, your face feeling feverish with color.

"T-thanks... I'm glad I didn't scare you away." you mumble fidgeting with your hands again. Oh man, are you one big ball of awkward or what? Bless his soul for being so kind and amused.

"You're going to have to try harder than that if you want to scare me away. Especially now that I know you're reactions are this cute." he teases just to see if you'll get any more red. You do, you're probably radiating your own heat now too.

"I hope you don't take to teasing me, I already have friends for that." you retort, smiling like an idiot at him. He just smiles that amazing smile of his right back at you.

You think you're going to enjoy this first date of yours.

-

​​You lied you're not enjoying this first date, you’re absolutely loving it.

It's been almost two and a half hours since you started talking, and you haven't stopped since. Conversation has been consistent and engaging the entire time, no awkward pauses or drawn out silences. It's so nice; you've even gotten to know a lot about him in the process.

He's originally from Busan (hence the accent you've grown to adore more and more the longer you talk with him).

He was an ulzzang in high school (which isn't a surprise since he's gorgeous).

He has a tattoo on his left wrist (he's a good friend for letting his friend practice on him).

He's a lot sweeter than rumors at your university led you to believe.

Okay so, you're not going to lie, when you said yes to his offer to go on a date you mainly because of his looks. You'd been crushing on him for a while but it was more of a physical attraction than a serious "crush" and everything else that entitles. It's not like you didn't know him at all or anything, no, you spoke frequently but in passing. Only now do you feel like you're really starting to get to know just who your hallway crush really is.

He's absolutely nothing like the stories going around your university either. You keep hearing about what a player he is and how he leads on any girl he feels like. They make him sound like a complete douche, essentially, and arrogant jerk with no respect for anyone but himself. This is nowhere near the truth. He's been nothing but polite, respectful, and a complete gentleman to you.

Everything is going really well so far, a lot better than how it began for sure. You can really feel the "clicking" of a good relationship's foundation happening, a very good sign. Not to mention a second date is basically set in stone by this point, he's already started talking about it ("We can go sightseeing then. I really like just talking with you here. I'll treat you to some cheesecake to make up for the lack of flowers. They're just as pretty, promise."). Thanks to your burst of stupidity during the first five minutes you actually feel a lot more comfortable around him. Since he's already seen the, potentially, worst side of you, there's nothing more for your awkward self to fear. Although, he's so sweet it probably wouldn't even matter if you became a nervous wreck right now instead.

Sitting alone, you wait for him to come back with the cheesecake he promised was just as pretty as the flowers you were supposed to see. Idly glancing around the cafe you smile to yourself seeing how much he taller stands in comparison to the short customers around him, how eye catching he is. You send a silent thanks to his parents for his impressive genes and gentlemanly heart.

He catches you staring when he turns just to his left to check on you. Color blooms across your face and you duck your head to hide your embarrassment. After a minute of scolding yourself you peek through your hair cautiously to sneak one more peek. He's not looking at you but you can see an amused smile tugging at his lips and you know he's aware of your failed attempt at stealth.

May as well quit while you're behind.

Giving up you move your gaze to a different part of the cafe, people watching others despite wanting to watch just one. There's no one particularly interesting so you look that their food instead. This cafe is really more of a mini-restaurant-bakery, essentially a nicer bakery with the option of table service. The pastries and light lunch foods they sell here all look delicious. Cakes are decorated beautifully, sandwiches look advertisement ready, and all the drinks come with an impossibly intricate design in the cream. This is the perfect place for a quiet first date.

Feeling happy all over you chance one more glance at your date (you get caught again) then out the window. It's actually a rather dreary day, gray clouds hiding away the blue of the sky and threatening rain. Staying here is probably for the best, better to get to know each other first anyway. Besides, sightseeing is for a nicer day, your next date.

There's a soft twinkling of bells as the door opens, you attention drawn to the newcomer. You only half notice them, catching the chestnut of their hair and maybe what they're wearing—blue? plaid?—doesn't matter. You look right over them and back out the window. It's sprinkling now, the persistent raindrops creating a rhythmic pitter-patter against the wide glass.

You sigh contently, loving every second of the calming rain in the cozy cafe with your one-in-a-billion guy just by the counter over there—

"I don't think you understand what a date is. You know, there's usually two people, not just you with that dreamy, spaced out look at a table for two." a voice, a voice you didn't want to hear until tomorrow—no, until next week—cuts in to interrupt your pleasant reverie. Your entire mood crumbles, annoyance taking your bubbly joy's place.

"Daehyun, what in the name of all things holy and tolerable are you doing here?" you demand, using your irritation to mask your surprise and utter horror. No seriously, what the hell is he doing here? What if he doesn't leave you and your date alone? He'll ruin everything that was going so perfectly between you and—

"Oh, ______-ah, who's this? Is he one of those friends you were talking about?" your date asks, morbidly curious without any suspicion or ill intent.

"Depends," Daehyun starts before you can reply, "what exactly did she tell you about her friends?"

"That one is like the best big brother in the world while the other is a complete child that she wants to smother to death with his own mask." he answers calmly, adding nothing about the fact that Daehyun is in his way or butting in on your date. Daehyun says nothing of it either, thinking over the descriptions with a slow nod.

"Yeah, I'm neither of those friends. I'm the one she's secretly in love with." he says with an innocent smile. You resist the urge to bang your head on the table or grab Daehyun's and hit it against the table in your place. Trying your best to retain composure you laugh, somewhat awkwardly.

"This is the one I want to kill in his sleep and now you know why." you clarify, hoping your date will just push past him and sit down already. He doesn't, instead he gives Daehyun a bland once over, eyes empty of his earlier friendly curiosity. Daehyun returns it with a smile, though it looks more like a challenging smirk, a smug curve of his lips.

As they stare each other down you rise to do something about this. Feeling the tension between them as you step in the middle of their silent battle you mentally scoff. Why are they in some kind of stare off? You're date has nothing to fear and Daehyun just needs to get lost. When they don't move you work your jaw and push the two apart, getting a little fed up with the both of them.

Seeing your patience thinning, your date backs off, allowing you to pull him aside. Thankful one of them is being cooperative you round toward Daehyun who still hasn't left yet.

"Daehyun, it's time for you to leave, now." you state bluntly, giving him a stony glare. You're still upset with him and this is not helping to appease your resurfacing frustrations.

"Really, because I don’t. It's not like you're my sister or girlfriend or anything. You can't tell me when to leave. I'm staying right here, you don't mind me sitting in with you meeting a friend, do you?" he says with an all too bright and innocent smile. It takes all your willpower not to punch him in the face right here and now.

"Actually, I do and I'm sure my date—"

"No, I don't mind, he's more than welcome to stay." he cuts in with a dangerous smile of his own. Doing your best not to scream you exhale slowly and return to your seat. Keeping your mouth shut tightly you decide to ignore Daehyun as best you can even as he pulls up a chair beside you.

It's going to be a long, long rest of your date.

-

They basically play a game of twenty questions, more or less. It's a not so subtle investigation of one another that leads to a never ending insult-off, a fight for the last word.

Daehyun starts, "What's your name anyway, _____'s never mentioned you before."

"I have, you just never cared to listen!" you exclaim exasperated. You've mentioned him countless times but Daehyun always shut you out and ignored you whenever you did. Thankfully, Youngjae is more mature than that and listened to your endless gushing.

"Jaehyo, Ahn Jaehyo."—oh dear lord he sounds so serious and movie ready like he's about to do some major damage in an action scene—"_______'s never mentioned you either, well, not by name. You only seem to come up as annoying or obnoxious or such a pain in my neck that I want him forcibly removed from my life and dumped into the Pacific." Jaehyo replies calmly.

Had you and Daehyun been on good terms right now you would've felt bad about the identifiers. Since you aren't you revel in the blow it must be to him.

"Jung Daehyun, world famous idol, I'm sure you've heard of me." Daehyun answers without missing a beat.

Jaehyo gives him an unimpressed stare.

"No, I haven't."

"Your loss, I make all the girls cry." Daehyun shrugs like making thousands of fangirls wail about him daily is no big deal.

"I'm sure you do, you look like a regular lady killer with that dongsaeng face of yours. How old are you anyway, sixteen?" Jaehyo scrutinizes him jeeringly.

"Ninety-three liner but, I'll still live longer than you."

"You treat all your hyungs this way?"

"Only the over confident pretty boys." Daehyun shrugs again.

"I'm touched, you think I'm pretty."

"You from Busan?" Daehyun looks a little more irked than before.

"What of it?"

"My accent is better."

"Really, I didn't realize this was a competition. At least I don't sound as much like a bumpkin as you do."

"It's endearing, ask anyone."

"Keep telling yourself that, dongsaeng next door."

"I think I will, thanks for the advice."

You give up trying to talk the longer they go at it. That's how the first half hour goes.

-

When your cheesecake finally shows up you almost do hit your head against the table. Daehyun, a cheesecake enthusiast, seems to forget his mini-war with Jaehyo as the dessert is set on the table. He looks ready to devour the cute little cake whole. It really is a cute little piece of cake, decorated with raspberries, whipped cream, all on a rich dark red jam of berries. You even see little flowers in the whipped cream around the raspberries.

"It is really pretty." you say staring at the treat in wonder.

"I told you, just as pretty as the flowers we'll see next time." Jaehyo confirms giving you the smile you haven't seen since your date first started. You let yourself smile back and enjoy this fleeting moment of just you and Jaehyo.

Good thing you did, Daehyun doesn't let it last for long.

Before either of you can object or do anything else to stop him, Daehyun shovels literally half of the cheesecake into his mouth with the lone fork it came with. You gape at him, horrified and embarrassed that this in fact is your best friend (though you're starting to really question how much longer that's going to last) is being a complete jerk and inconsiderate—well, right in front of you and your date. He's intentionally ruining your first, and probably, last date ever.

Unlike you, Jaehyo seems to have the patience of a monk; he doesn't even look remotely bothered by Daehyun's entire obnoxious being. He says nothing as the cheesecake is devoured, not even one of those tiny flowers are left when Daehyun's done eating your dessert. Very satisfied with the cake he drops the fork back onto the little plate with a content sigh.

"Wow that was really good. We should come here for more sometime, huh, _____-ah?" he suggests peering at your face with a smile. You grind your teeth together as you imagine various ways of wiping that stupid smile off his stupid face.

"You should, this is a great place for friends." Jaehyo adds, with a nonchalant gesture around the establishment in a "you can see how great it is yourself" sweep of his arm.

Daehyun speaks up before you can say anything, again.

"Oh whoa, pretty boy's actually a rebel. Look at that tattoo, I didn't realize you were one for inking." he says eyes locked on the K.R. Jaehyo's sleeve rolled down to expose. His other hand grabs the tattoo in an instant; like he was startled he let it be seen. You wonder why he reacts this way. He obviously isn't self-conscious of it if he had no problem telling you about it earlier. Then again, that may not be entirely true if he's doing this. Whatever the reason you don't get the chance to find out, Daehyun beats you to it with a question of his own.

"Panicky, now aren't we, pretty rebel boy? Why, what does it stand for?" he asks expectant, challenging Jaehyo to enlighten him.

To your surprise Jaehyo actually loses his composure, lips drawing into a thin line and he yanks his sleeve back over his wrist. He says nothing, so you say something for him.

"Jaehyo oppa said it stood for nothing, he was just letting a friend practice." you explain, hoping Daehyun will just drop it and Jaehyo will stop being so... weird all of a sudden. Neither does as you hope. Though, Jaehyo does give you a grateful smile, Daehyun just rambles away.

"I don't believe that. If it meant nothing he wouldn't hide it like this. Come on, cool guy, what's it mean?" Daehyun prompts, finally feeling superior to your date.

Jaehyo says nothing.

"If he said it means nothing, it means nothing. Just leave it alone, Daehyun." you snap. You're starting to get a little worried about Jaehyo, what's with him?

"You're so rude, all this informal talking you do to me. The more you get to know her the worse she gets. I hope for your sake you don't decide to really date her. Next thing you know she'll be getting a tattoo with your initials on it—" Daehyun cuts himself off and gives Jaehyo a sudden look of revelation, "Those are initials, aren't they? Ouh, who's are they cool guy? Let me guess, a girl's huh? Mom? Sister? Ex-girlfriend—"

This time Jaehyo cuts him off, rising suddenly, expressionless.

"______-ah, I'm sorry, I'll see you another time. I had a good time, really, I just... another time." he says, voice void of emotion. Your eyes widen in a mix of disbelief and horrible disappointment. He's leaving. Jaehyo is leaving in the middle of your date. He's leaving you in the middle of your first date.

"Ah-ah, Jaehyo oppa, wait—" He's already out the door and into the worsening rain when you finally voice your plea for him to stay.

You've never felt more dejected in your entire life. Here you were, on your first date ever, with the guy you'd fantasized about going out with, and he left mid-date because of your stupid friend who decided to in for absolutely no reason. Jaehyo's probably never going to speak to you again, or at the very least never ask you out again. You're certain he's done with his interest in you. He's not going to want to pursue you if your jerk of a best friend is going to piss him off, a feat of Daehyun's true level of obnoxiousness that broke Jaehyo's impressive patience.

This is all Daehyun's fault. Everything was going great until he showed up. What is his problem? Why did he decide to just invite himself over? Is this payback for making him angry? Is he retaliating to your outburst by intentionally sabotaging your date? You're probably never going to have another date after word gets around Jaehyo walked out on you.

You're positively livid when you direct your broiling anger at Daehyun. The startled guilt of his apologetic expression only infuriates you more. Oh, so he feels bad about driving your date away, huh? Why does he feel bad now? Why not earlier before he started any of this?!

"_-______-ah, I didn't mean—he wasn't supposed to—I'm so sorry, I—"

You don't care to stay to hear the rest of his apology. Pushing brusquely out of your seat your chair makes a loud, disruptive squeak against the polished floor. Without a word you storm out of the cafe, venom running through your veins in blood's stead.

Stepping out into the heavy rain you glare at the falling drops, mood worsening. Great, on top of everything else it's raining. You don't even have a jacket to shield yourself from the rain. Grinding your teeth together you duck your head and start on your trek home. You were planning on going back to see Youngjae and try to make up with Daehyun afterwards but, that isn’t exactly an option anymore.

As you walk your thoughts narrow in on Daehyun, unable to think of anything else in your furious state. In all the years you've known Daehyun you've never gotten into a big fight about anything. Sure, he's can be annoying sometimes but, he's never done anything to really make you angry before, definitely never like this. It feels wrong to feel this much resentment toward him, a borderline hate fueled by your crestfallen heart. Then again, there’s more of an ache than hurt in your heart. It’s hard to describe the feeling exactly, your chest just feels really tight and there’s something weighing heavily on your shoulders, heavier than disappointment.

You’ve never gotten into a fight with Daehyun before, this is the retribution.

You don’t know how to deal with this, how to deal without Daehyun. As much of a pain in the he can be, he’s the one who’s always been there for you. Youngjae’s the one you go to for practical things, advice, tutoring, and a realistic perspective. Daehyun’s the one you go to for comfort, that shoulder to lean on, the one you can depend on to make you laugh no matter what.

To say you don’t need him now is a lie. You need him and his comfort, his welcoming arms.

At the same time, to say you’ve forgiven him is also a lie.

You may need him but, you’re not about to let all of this go just because you don’t have someone to go to. No, Daehyun’s done the damage and pushed you over the edge. He’s not getting off easy no matter how much you need him.

The burden of pride only adds to the weight upon you sagging shoulders. The weather sympathizes with you, a fresh shower of rain soaking you to your bones.

 

This really is the perfect day for a perfect first date, isn’t it?