CHAPTER 7: THE PLAN

THE HEARTBREAK CLUB

Flashback-----------

 

Yeonhee just arrived from school. She never felt exhausted her whole life. She's almost dragging her bag on the floor.

"You look so tired"

It's Yeonhee's dad. She's too surprised to learn that her dad's already at home at this hour. Mr. Bae is watching the television and siting on their drawing room couch. Yeonhee quickly come to her dad and gave him a hug.

"How's school?" Mr. Bae said while looking at his daughter, smiling.

Yeonhee smiled "Same old..it's Spring festival"

Her father nodded. He knew his daughter's school work very well. He understandingly looked at her tired daughter and made her sit beside him. Yeonhee rested her head on her dad's shoulder. It's been quite a while to be with her dad since both of them are busy.

"What made you go home so early? You should've texted me so that I went home early and cook.."

"Shh.." Her dad in and gently patted his daughter's head. "it's okay.

..

...

by the way, I have a surprise for you.."

Yeonhee suddenly got her head up and looked at her father with questioning eyes.

"What is it?"

Mr. Bae brought up an invitation and a concert brochure. Yeonhee realized that it was for his dad's yet another concert by the next two months. His hand is covering something important, perhaps a name on the side part of the brochure.

"Guess who's performing with me next month.."

Yeonhee's dad uncovered the brochure and it has Yeonhee's name. It says she has a special number or participation. Yeonhee felt her jaw dropped. Her dad can't be including her in his concert..

"You'll be performing as an intermission in our concert..." Mr. Bae said, grinning widely. "You better prepare , my daughter.."

Yeonhee is still shocked but she managed to finally let out a faint scream and hugged his dad. It's always her dream to perform in one of his dad's concert. It's finally coming true and Yeonhee knew this is just the start of it. She and her dad is really waiting for this to happen.

"Thank you dad.."

Mr. Bae nodded. "The producers are asking me about you so I've decided to finally introduce you.."

Yeonhee smiled by what his dad just said. His dad is always proud of her.

"and I've decided to include you at the perfect time.. My colleagues from Conservatoire de Paris will be coming. This is a stepping stone to your future as well..you're graduating from high school already.. you should be considering entering top music schools.."

Yeonhee nodded. It makes her heart really beats fast. True enough, she's planning of applying to her dad's alma mater in France. Conservatoire de Paris in France is considered one of the top music schools in Europe..That's where his dad studied music.

"I won't fail you dad! Thaaaanks!"

"that's the spirit. Now go to your room and take some rest. I'll cook for my beautiful daughter.."

_____________________

-----------Fast forward.

 

"Hey Jaewon..It's almost your birthday already. Saeng-il Jukahe!! Hahaha."

Jaewon just sighed while watching the television. Sam has been bugging him about his birthday which will happen a week from now. He's turning a year older and he still has no plans on celebrating it.

"What's your plan? Let's go somwhere..all four of us..it's going to fall on a Saturday so we don't have classes!"

Jaewon took a glance at his restless best friend who's been eating bibimbap in a large bowl. Jaewon smirked. Joorin has already influenced Sam's eating habits. He's eaten for the fourth consecutive time already just after they went home.

"That's a good idea..do you have any suggestions where we should go?"

"Um..It's your birthday..you're the one who should think!" Sam replied and shoved another spoonful of food into his mouth. "Did you and Yeonhee already talked about it?"

"Not yet.. I wonder if she remembers.." Jaewon thought.

For sure, his girl friend would remember it. Last year, she's even the one who brought seaweed soup to school and reminded him when he's about to forget it. Yeonhee has always been an attentive girl friend despite her busy schedule.  She is the person who redeemed the happiness that birthdays should bring. Something that he already forgotten.

Because for Jaewon, his birthday brings a not-so-good memory. The last time he saw his father was during his 18th birthday and their last conversation were not pleasant. That's when he decided to go back to Seoul. Alone and far away from the family he never felt he belongs in. Now that he's turning 20.. he wonders if his dad will call him and finally accepts what he wanted to be and what he wanted to achieve for his self. After all, he is about to finish high school.

 

"You're thinking about uncle..am I right?" Sam said while looking intently at Jaewon. Jaewon made a face to Sam for reading his mind.

Jaewon nodded and attempted to snatch the bowl of bibimbap from Sam. They both laughed and another surge of slilence fell between them. Jaewon continued to watch tv but his mind keeps on replaying his last conversation with his dad.

"Our dads are real pain in the .. sometimes. And they always make us think hard about what we should do to make them happy.."

Sam let out a faint laugh by the way Jaewon said it.. True enough.. it's disrespectful to talk about the person who raised them up that way but that's the best thing to put it. Sam didn't feel differently about it. They are both prodigal sons who choose to walk away and live their lives in this city which they feel they really belong.

"Well.. I'm feeling he's going to finally call you.."

Jaewon sighed. "Well.. let's hope he has really forgotten how angry he was when he said he's disowning me.."

Sam patted his best friend's shoulder and proceeded to walk to the kitchen.

"Yah..it's your birthday next week. Let's have fun for goodness sake! We'll throw a party for you!"

"Better make it great. I'm expecting highly of it you punk!"

_____________________

--------------------------

______________________

 

"Huh? birthday? Oh right...it's already that month already.."

"Yes. and I'm planning all for of us celebrate it.." Sam said while playing with Joorin's hands. Just the two of them are in the library since Joorin has extra assignments again.

"I wonder if Yeonhee already has plans. I'll go ask her later!" Joorin enthusiastically said. "That guy Jaewon is turning a year older. He better grow up already." She laughed while saying it.

"Where is Yeonhee by the way?" Sam looked at the closest building outside. Jaewon will be coming shortly after them but he haven't heared anything with Yeonhee.

"Don't you know? She's practicing.." Joorin is talking about Yeonhee preparing for her performance in his dad's concert. She still has no idea when exactly it's going to be but it's going to be this month as well.

"Cello? I never saw her in the music room. I just went there.."

"She went home early today. I believe she went to the orchestra house to meet his dad. Uncle Chin Ho is a stage dad..you know.. he's coaching his own daughter..I'm envious.."

"Oh..really. That's why Jaewon will be walking home with us..."

Joorin nodded.

"I'll go to Yeonhee's house later...and ask her."

____________________

____________________

 

"Dad..on Sat..Saturday?"

Yeonhee suddenly felt her heart dropped. She never remembered until now. Jaewon's birthday will be next week, Saturday. The same exact day she'll be performing. How come she forgot? And what now?

"Why? any problems..?" Mr. Bae examined his daughter's expression. She looked like she just forgot an impotant date.

"I'm sorry..No..nothing."

"You can invite Joorin-ah and that boy..Jaewon."

Yeonhee stared on the tiled floor. Sure, she can invite Joorin, Sam and Jaewon but she's hesitating. She just can't tell them her plans of studying overseas yet. This event is the trigger of it. She can feel it. This is gonna be revealed real soon and she's not ready. Especially telling Jaewon about it. He's under the impression that she'll be admitted in a music school in Korea after graduation, something that Yeonhee never corrected because it will just make it problematic for both of them. Yeonhee always has the ambition of following his dad's footsteps and that includes enrolling to the music school he has been in.

Joorin knew about it but she haven't told her her exact plans. Like the tangible ones... submitting her application papers to Conservatoire Paris for example..

"Sure dad..I'll talk to Joorin later." Yeonhee just replied. Trying her best to smile.

-------------------

__________________

_______________________

 

"Hey Yeonhee! I miss you!!!!"

 

Joorin hugged Yeonhee tightly. She then bowed to Yeonhee's dad who just arrived with her.

"Good evening uncle"

"Hi there.. you're looking good as ever Joorin.."

"She's in love..that's why" Yeonhee teased.

The old man just laughed. "Okay..It seems like it. Jah, ladies..I'm going up. It's good to see you Joorin, my child.."

both of the girls smiled and looked at the old man as it disappeared on the stairs and went to his room upstairs.

 

"Hey. It's Jaewon's birthday next week! What are your plans??"

Yeonhee knew this is just what her best friend will bring up. She shook her head but at the same time battling her way out to invite them to the concert. Should she tell her now?

Joorin looked at her bestfriend, under the impression that she has no idea what to do yet.

"Oh well.. let's celebrate it! Sam told me earlier that we can throw a party at their house. They have a nice rooftop I guess..let's bring him a cake!"

Yeonhee opened but nothing came out. She really has troubles expressing herself and resisting most of the time..It sure sounds fun but it's the same time as her concert.

"Uh... that sounds fun.." Yeonhee can almost slap her own cheek for being awkward during this times.

"We're planning of surprising him. Like with party poppers and all!" Joorin sounded really excited. She always feel that way during birthdays. She does not seem to notice Yeonhee's hesitant expression.

"It's gonna be held later that day of course...You're in right?"

Oh. It's gonna be later..maybe slightly after the concert..I have a chance to go with them.. Yeonhee felt a new hope seeping in. At that same moment she made her own plan. She'll perform her best at that concert, without telling them and will go immediately to the location. Sounds just right.  She can't tell them togo to the concert now.. IThey already have a much better plan after all..

"I'm in..I'm in!" Yeonhee said. "Later that day...like early night?" Yeonhee asked, making sure of the time.

Joorin brough her thumbs up. "It's better if we won't show ourselves to that punk  and surprise him much much later that day..Hehe..like no text messages, no phone calls. Sam and I are planning to go out and meet that day as well before going there. You do the same. and we will make him go somewhere while we prepare... then we'll call him and lure him to the rooftop. Then pooft~ Surprise!"

Oh Joorin. You're saving me. Yeonhee thought. She's slowly following the seemingly brilliant plot her bestfriend is unveiling. She smiled at her bestfriend and pinched her cheek. Joorin winced by the pain it caused. 

"Ow... wae?!"

"Your idea is brilliant!"

"Of course. I'm Kim Joorin!"

___________________

----------------