CHAPTER 6: FALLING DEEP

THE HEARTBREAK CLUB

"Gongju-nim, can you please go out with me?"

Joorin can't seem to erase that line on her mind. Well most of what happened last night will be forever imprinted in her mind. She was spacing out while sitting down on the bench when Yeonhee came and sat beside her. It makes her burst her bubble.

"Tell me everything!!!!"

Much to her surpirse, it's Yeonhee's not-so-calm voice. Her tone is a mixture of excitement and hurry.

"Huh?? What will I tell you?"

"What happened yesterday with you and Sam?" Yeonhee sounds like she's pretty much stating the obvious thing Joorin is obliged to tell her only best friend.

Joorin was surprised and was wondering how fast Yeonhee knew but she's too excited to tell her bestfriend. She told her everything and in detail.

____________________

"Hey."

Joorin can't look at Sam's eyes.  The guy has been in the school gym and visiting her for the nth time. Joorin is trying her best to finish the wall.

"Gee.. aren't you in the music room practicing?" Joorin shyly asked. She's sitting on a ladder and painting the topmost part of the wall. She wanted to finish that part first.

Sam smiled. "I just want to see the painting and how you progresses with it..."

Joorin smiled, still focusing her sight on the wall. He's clearly distracting her.

"Yah. look at me." Sam said, nearly shouting. Few students are inside the gym but amost all of them looked at him, their eyes filled with curiosity.

"Shut up..or I'll go down there and punch you.." Joorin is resisting with all her might to not to look.

"Then climb down and punch me.."

Joorin stopped and drop the brush on the pallete she's holding. She sighed and faced the guy. She's suppose to flash an irritated look to finally shoo the guy away but instead she smiled.

Sam felt his mouth slightly fell open. The girl is really beautiful when she smiles. He knows he's disturbing her but he really wanted to see her.

"Okay. I'll go. I just want to see you." Sam said. pressing his lips shut. "I'll meet you later."

Joorin sighed. "Okay..."

Sam waved and walked away. But he turned back and shouted

"Fighting! My princess!" He even put his arms up and form a heart shape. "See you later!"

Joorin felt her heart dropped and looked at Sam with pure surprise. All of the people inside  the gym covered their mouths due to shock.

_____________________

Joorin's almost done with the painting and her heart is really beating loudly due to excitement and fulfillement. She's looking to it a few meters away from the actual wall and she can't help but to pat her own shoulder and admire her own work. Her newfound confidence is one good thing.

"excuse me...sunbae"

Joorin almost got knocked down on the floor. She really  was startled pretty hard. She turns to where the direction of the voice came from and felt her eyes widened in shock.

.

..

...it's Taeyeon. Taeyeon of Class 4-B. She would never forget that.

Joorin just stayed there and locked stares at the still cute-and-pretty-despite-what-happened-a-day-ago girl.

"H...Hi" Taeyeon said while bowing 90 degrees to Joorin. "I'm really sorry about what happened the day before yesterday!"

Joorin can't help to just stare and understand what's happening. The girl is saying sorry but how should she react?

Oh right. Say sorry as well. You spanked her real hard last time right? Joorin thought. She stood up straight and bowed 90 degrees as well despite the fact that she's the sunbae.

"I'm sorry as well!"

Taeyeon smiled and offered her hand to Joorin. Joorin hesitated, thinking the girl will somehow use that hand to punch her. She's still scared to this girl. Taeyeon pointed her cute lips towards her extended hand and gesturing to Joorin to shake it. Joorin obeyed right away. When their hands met, Taeyeon just pulled Joorin towards her and hugged her tightly.

"I'm really sorry! I'm so glad we're okay now!"

What the....? Joorin thought. She's still being crushed by the hug of the girl who's few inches shorter than her. Taeyeon's head is buried in her chest and she can't help but to be conscious of it. Taeyeon then released Joorin and gave her a very heart warming smile. Joorin involuntarily smiled back. She yet again adored the cuteness of this petite girl.

"Err.. it's okay. Errr.. " Joorin is thinking what to say next when Jaewon suddenly appeared.

"Hey yo! Hey hey hey!" Jaewon playfully exclaimed. "Oh. so you two already made up. That's great!"

Jaewon tapped both of the girls' shoulders like they were old buddies. Joorin can't help but to wonder why Jaewon knows Taeyeon and why did he seems to be friendly with her.

Taeyeon just stood there, her eyes still on Joorin. "Jaewon-sunbae.. just tell Joorin everything. Please, so that she won't misunderstood!"

Jaewon cleared his throat and becomes serious while obviously gesturing to Taeyeon not to say anything about it.

"What on earth is she talking about Kang Jaewon?" Joorin, now becoming suspicious..

Taeyeon looked at her again with an adorable "you-have-no-idea?" face and then quickly explains to Joorin what actually happened between them before outside the school gym. Despite Jaewon's attempt to stop her, Taeyeon outpowered him and told Joorin that that act she did the day before yesterday were all directed and planned by no other than Jaewon and she was just hired as an actress. Taeyeon is part of the drama club and was wooed by Jaewon to do it because he offered her a SVIP ticket to BAP's concert. Aside from that, Taeyeon really liked Sam but upon her observing him and Joorin, she became a shipper of their love story.

Joorin find Taeyeon's explanation difficult to swallow at first. But then she saw the sincerity of the cute girl and threw a horrible, angry stare at Jaewon and strangled him.

"Yah..don't be mad.. because of us.. you and hyung ended up together. Thank us instead!" Jaewon said while struggling.

Joorin is too happy with the thought of being with Sam that she let go of Jaewon. "You evil-plotting airhead!" she pointed at Jaewon "How come you did that!"

"It's not just me.. Yeonhee's behind it as well.. don't tell me you'll kill her.." Jaewon sheilded his very nice girl friend to escape from Joorin's rage. It was effective. Joorin seems to calm down a bit. She fixed her fringe and brushed her hair beautifully, recovering from the stressful event.

"Oh well.. i'll forgive you and Yeonhee. It's already done anyway." Joorin said while trying her best to supress her rage.

Taeyeon slightly laughed while seeing Joorin's mood shifts "You are really adorable.."

"Eh?" Joorin said, forgetting the fact that taeyeon is still with them. She looked closely at the girl. She then noticed that Taeyeon's holding a plastic bag with two strawberry yoghurt milk cartons inside it. She didn't fail to notice that the hand that's holding the bag was bandaged. Joorin suddenly felt her heart melt by remembering Taeyeon punched the wall and not her face.

So it was all acting. That event convinced me so much! Why did this girl do it? Joorin thought. Joorin held Taeyeon's hand while eyeing it with pity.

"Yah..why will you hurt this beautiful hand? I'm sorry you've been entangled on our crazy antics.." Joorin apologizes with a hint of aegyo. "I don't know how to thank you!"

"It's okay! I'm your fan and my feels for you became so much stronger by knowing your pure heart the last time!" Taeyeon exclaimed while putting up an OK sign.

Jaewon smirked by seeing the two weird girls in front of her. Some girls are really out of this world. He thought. Taeyeon handed Joorin the plastic bag.

"Jah..I'll go now sunbae. Take this, This is for you. You just don't know how much I like you..." Taeyeon cheerfully said to Joorin.

"Huh?" Joorin seems to not to hear what Taeyeon said "What again?"

 "Do you know why I did it? You know, acting so that you and Sam-sunbae will end up together?

Joorin gulped for a moment. The girl's hands were extremely soft on her face. "W..Wae? Why did you do it?"

Taeyeon reached out and delicately held Joorin's face."I want you to be happy. I've watched you all this time and you've been supressing your real self wherein you should let it shine. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.."

Jaewon knew it's getting weird. But he's pretty much surprised to hear the same exact thought Sam has for Joorin from this 11th grader girl.

"Don't you know.. my heart for you is the same as my heart for BAP?" Taeyeon smiled "It's not Sam whom I like.. It's you. I like you Joorin-sunbae"

Next thing Joorin and Jaewon know, Taeyeon lean and kissed Joorin on the mouth. In split second, Taeyeon let go and run towards the exit. When she's about to go out she looked back and waved

"Thank you for inspiring me and let's be friends Okay??!!" Taeyeon said.

_________________


Joorin don't know what to do.

Did that girl just kissed me? Why am I being suddenly kissed nowadays?

Jaewon bit his knuckles upon seeing what happened. He's as much as shocked. Unknowingly, Jaewon and Joorin stared at each other, Joorin just standing on her feet. They don't know what to say.

"Err..that's the first time a girl kissed me.." Joorin just said after a long silence. That was the longest awkward silence Joorin and Jaewon shared. They were either so noisy arguing with each other and irriatting each other when they are together. This is yet a record of them being silent to each other. 

"Y..yeah. seems like it" Jaewon awkwardly replied. "I don't know if I should say sorry or what.."

"Aish.. " Joorin just slumped to the ground and Jaewon sat beside her. "Let's just drink this.."

"That girl likes you.. that's...weird." Jaewon got one of the drinks inside the bag. "She's too cute to be lesbian.."

"Shut up Jaewon..this is all you fault...." Joorin said. She pierced the carton with a straw and drank  "Well.. I agree. I would like her to be my cute little sister."

Silence.

"But thinking about it.. that just mean one thing.."

"what?"

Joorin just wanted to lighten up the most awkward thing that happen few moments ago. She will now choose to shrug it off and be happy about it..

"It seems that I'm beggining to be so attractive, even girls are beginning to like me.. don't you think?" Joorin smiled

Jaewon almost spit the milk he's drinking

"What the hell????!!"

________________

___________________

"Wh...what?!" Yeonhee covered in shock. All three of them, Jaewon, Joorin and her were sitting on their favorite bench.

"This is all your fault.." Joorin jokingly said, pouting and acting offended.

Jaewon just told Yeonhee what happened with Joorin and the girl from class 4-B whom they asked to act like a bully to make Joorin snap out of the crazy world she was in when Sam and her were having pre-relationship problems.

"that.. that girl likes you?" Yeonhee still shocked as ever. "That's kinda... well..umm.."

"..weird?" Jaewon continued his girl friend's statement. "Yeah it sure is! and to think I'm around when that happened!"

"Seriously...what made you think of having that kind of plan?" Joorin asked "Yeonhee, I never thought you're that sly.."

Yeonhee smiled and shrugged the disbelief of her best friend. "I'm sorry.. we can't think of any ways.. don't worry I'll make up to you! I'm sorry....."

Joorin gave in. She can be thankful to these two as well. She can't  be so angry to them. It's just that something went out of their control and that technically can't be helped...

"What can I do..it's already done." Joorin smiled "Plus, I don't mind that girl Taeyeon..she's too cute to begin with.."

Yeonhee and Jaewon both gave Joorin a weird look.

"Yah..she liked it..you know..? That girl is as weird as her.." Jaewon told Yeonhee. "Sam is really weird as well to like you.."

Joorin shook her head and slightly laughed. "you punk! that's not it! She's really cute! If I have a younger brother, I would totally make him date that cute girl..but it turns out that she..umm...like girls so what can I do? and I really don't mind it..."

"Oh well..she is really cute." Yeonhee said shrugging. "Well.. what is there to worry about..? you already have Sam-ssi"

Joorin and Yeonhee smiled and high-fived. Jaewon is still sitting and just minded from thesudden  turn of events.

"Hey! what's going on here..looks like I missed something...."

Joorin felt her heart jumped by Sam's sudden arrival. Yeonhee and Jaewon both gave a meaningful smile at her.

"Hey guys.. what is it that you're talking about?" Sam asked while sitting beside Joorin.

"Ask her" Jaewon pointing his lips to Joorin. Joorin gave him a shut-up-or-i'll-snap-you're-neck stare. Yeonhee just laughed.

"Ughhhh.. It's nothing. Hehe.. Nothing..." Joorin said while shaking her hands like crazy. "You're done with the practice?"

Jaewon tsk-ed by Joorin's attempt of changing the topic. Sam's curiosity didn't fade out.

"Tell me.. I somehow heared someone's being cute....? who's that?" Sam said.

Jaewon teasingly smiled "Yah Kim Joorin.. don't tell me you'll keep it from Sam..?"

Yeonhee can't stop laughing while shaking her head and gesturing to Jaewon to stop it.

Joorin stood up, her other hand slammed the table. After all, she can't hide it to Sam. She, of all people, can't sleep when she's keeping a secret to a person who's important to her. That's why Yeonhee always know everything about her.

"Okay fine...tell him.. BUT I'm going!"

She gave a weak smile at Sam who's surprised and unaware of what's happening.

"Hey..where are you going? I just arrived?" Sam said, looking up at Joorin,

Joorin held's Sam's face with her left hand. "You just sit down and listen..."

Yeonhee and Jaewon felt awkward.

"I'll be at the gym.. AGAIN!" She looked back.

She gave Yeonhee and Jaewon a go signal and ran away.

__________________________

____________________

______________

Joorin is walking outside the gym. She's finally done with the painting and she's now gonna wash the stain of paint on her hands. 

"Anneong!"

"Aaljlsandlhskahskahs....!!!!"

Joorin was so startled she didn't immediately realized who that is. Until her eyes became fixated to the cute girl.

It's HER. AGAIN.

Joorin put her hand on by default.

"I... I'm sorry about what happened earlier.." Taeyeon said, flustered " I just can't help it...I swear I won't d---"

"Don't.." Joorin held up her one hand. "Don't bring that up. It's okay... just don't.."

Taeyeon smiled.. "Okay!"

"Are you going home?" Taeyeon asked.

"Um... w...why are you asking?" Joorin asked back with an awkward tone. She don't know if she'll be glad this girl is approaching her or she'll be awfully scared.

"Nothing.. I'm just curious.." Taeyeon replied. Her eyes are glowing like a puppy. "Oh..you have stained your hands.."

Taeyeon randomly held Joorin's hands. Joorin twitched back.

"Excuse me.."

Both of the girls looked at the newly arrived guy. Taeyeon never let go of Joorin's hands. Joorin just stood there, her face really red.

Sam looks at Taeyeon with a curious face.

"Oh..you're the girl from....yesterday..." Sam realized, his eyes widened. "You're THAT girl..."

Taeyeon let go of Joorin's hands and bowed to her senior.

"I'm sorry about yesterday..It's just a misunderstanding.."

Sam smiled. He walks slowly towards Joorin.

"No. It's okay. Actually, I must thank you.." Sam said. He's now standing beside Joorin.

Taeyeon smiled but she pressed her lips together and breathed heavily.

"Glad to know you guys are together.. I'm...glad."

Joorin managed to smile. After all, this girl really did something important with their lives. Sam held Joorin's hand. Taeyeon stares at their entwined hands. Sam smiled at the girl and slightly leaned forward to meet her height.

"I heared you like our Joorin.." Sam said. Joorin gasped.

Taeyeon looks surprised but slowly nodded. "Yeah. I really do like her. I'm sorry!" She bowed again.

Sam laughed. Both Joorin and Taeyeon wonder why the guy is laughing.

"It's okay.. I do understand why you like her.." Sam said, never getting his eyes off of Taeyeon.

"I can't blame you...

..she's too adorable, isn't she?"

Taeyeon felt her shoulders dropped and she smiled to the cool guy in front of her. The guy is clearly letting it go and not making it awkward for all of them.

"Yes she is. Thank you sunbae. Well.. you two suit each other." Taeyeon slowly walking away.

Sam grinned and looked at Joorin "Yeah. I know."

"I'll go now. Take care of her! See you later Joorin sunbae!" Taeyeon smiled and waved at Joorin. She adorably winked at her. Joorin smiled and shook her head in disbelief. This is just to surreal and unbelievable.

Joorin and Sam looked at the fading image of the girl. Sam walked and led Joorin to the washing station to wash her hands.

"Geez...I can't believe I have a cute 11th grader as a rival.." Sam said, laughing.

Joorin smiled as she is washing her hands. She shook it right after. She finally met Sam's eyes. Joorin sighed.

"She kissed me..y'know..." Joorin calmly said while looking straightly at Sam's eyes. She's expecting Sam already knew it as Jaewon and Yeonhee have that chance to tell him earlier.

Sam's eyes widened and his mouth flew open..

"She...WHAT???!!!"

______________

----------------------------------

----------------------------------------

"I thought you already know! Jaewon saw it.. I thought.. He told you!" Joorin said while Sam is still wearing a shocked face. They are now walking to Joorin's house. Sam asked Joorin to walk her home.

"Well obviously, he and Yeonhee skipped that part" Sam said while looking at Joorin with an amused face.

Joorin thought of murdering the couple. They should've notified her or something that they would drop that part of the story. Joorin shook her head by that thought. She can't blame Jaewon and Yeonhee. They most likely did it to make it less awkward. It's her fault. She, herself, brought it up.

Joorin puckered her lips, trying to make it easier for Sam to swallow what she just revealed "What.. what's so wrong with it?"

Sam gripped his head and messed up his hair due to disbelief. Joorin 's very calm with it.

"I don't know..it's just awkward.."

"Just forget it." Joorin said. "Don't tell me you'll be disheartened just because she's too cute.."

"Don't tell me you like it.." Sam asked, testing his girlfriend.

"Well..." Joorin is teasing him just for the heck of it. 

Sam bleakly smiled and looked at Joorin's face. "She's no joke.. I will take the rivalry seriously!"

Joorin laughed and shook her head. This is going crazy. Everybody around her is going crazy. She felt amused by it. She and Sam continued to walk in silence until they reached the gate of Joorin's house.

Joorin doesn't know what to do or say. Obviously, Sam needs to go now. Sam made Joorin face him by delicately pushing her towards him.

"I really can't blame the girl. You're so likeable" Sam said as-a-matter-of-factly. Joorin felt her cheeks blushed.

Both of them smiled. Joorin made her heart strong and placed her hands on Sam's shoulder. Sam straightened up, surprised by the sudden gesture.  Joorin leaned forward, aiming to kiss him but she stopped when their faces are only an inch away. She sighed and let go. Sam's eyes were already closed but he felt really disappointed by Joorin's sudden stop. His eyebrows lifted as he was really anticipating it.

"I guess I can't kiss you right now." Joorin said, drifting away. She's thinking of what happened earlier and thought that Sam will highly feel awkward by that. 

"W..why?" Sam exasperatedly said. Then it suddenly came into his mind.

Sam laughed. "Because of that? I don't even mind.."

"Really?"

"Really.."

"It's okay?"

"Yeah. Okay."

"It won't happen again.."

"If that happens again, you're dead.."

Joorin smiled "As if that would happen again.."

"I know.. so let's get over it. I won't talk about it. It's done and over.." Sam gave Joorin an assurance.

"Okay..you can go inside now." Sam continued. "See you tomorr-"

Joorin all of a sudden placed her hands again on his shoulder and leaned forward to kiss him. Due to the fast paced action of the girl, their lips kinda hardly pressed. Sam smiled and responded. He placed both of his hands on her waist.

4..5..6..

Joorin let go. She can't look at Sam's eyes.

"B..bye. See you tomorrow" Joorin said. It's really awkward when two people just shared a kiss. It's a default setting for everyone..Joorin thought.

"Nice move young lady." Sam said while patting Joorin's head. "See you tomorrow."

________________

 

After a few days..spring festival went on and swept everyone's time. Everyone was busy and and everyone enjoyed it. Rumors about Joorin and Sam spread like wildfire and almost every girls are looking at Joorin with either amazement, disgust and envy. Joorin felt she just turned into an instant celebrity plus the fact that her painting on the gym wall were deeply appreciated by her newfound campus fans. The new couple is still kinda awkward with each other but nonetheless they are happy as always. Jaewon and Yeonhee remained as supportive best friends.

After all of the busy days, all four of them felt exhausted and thankful that the school days returned to their normal pace.

"Don't you think the days passed like it's just a matter of minutes..."

Yeonhee and Joorin are now walking together to school. Joorin looked at her best friend, wondering what she's thinking.

"Yeah..seems like it." Joorin managed to provide a response. "Just try to rest and make up for all of those busy days. Seems that you lose some weight.."

Yeonhee smiled and turned her gaze to the beautiful cherry blossom trees on the sidewalk.

"Hey. I'll be having a small recital at the orchestra house next month."

"Really? Wow! We'll come and watch you!" Joorin excitedly exclaimed.

Yeonhee nodded "it's not that big..I'll be just an intermission to my dad's performance."

"Even so.. that's really amazing!" joorin gave her a thumbs up. "Later I'll tell Sam.."

Yeonhee somehow flashed a hesitant look to Joorin.

"umm. can you please not tell them right now? I'll invite them myself.."

Joorin thought of the reason why but just shurgged it off. "Oh..okay.."

"Thank you.. " Yeonhee felt relieved

"I don't have the tickets yet. It's kinda hard for me to get them at this moment since it was a last minute decision for dad to have me perform.."

Joorin nodded.

"Once I am sure I got the tickets for the four of us..then I'll  invite them!" Yeonhee smiled. She's somehow managing to get out of Joorin's stares.

"Okay.. no problem! But good to know you're telling me this early..at least I can prepare!" Joorin said excitedly, not noticing Yeonhee's weird behavior.

Joorin held Yeonhee's hand. They are now near the entrance of the school. "I'm more excited than you are.."

Yeonhee smiled weakly.

 

 

...

Joorin never realized her best friend's facing the greatest dilemma she has in her life.

___________________________