Chapter 5: Humanity

Hidden ♦

 

 
- Sadness
 
 
C H A P T E R 5: Humanity
 
 
To be honest, Kai had never really been the type to help others whether he was a human, an angel or a demon, he left the helping to other people. For him life was just a mess of things that were fun, perhaps that was the reason he died at only the age 25. Friends were people that you joke around with, got drunk and for him, that was it. Not even once had he entered the deeper step of friendship, actually bothering to get to know the other person.
 
Although the thoughts of calming down did pass his mind, he never really paid attention to them. His life had just been a blur of alcohol and partying. He had dropped out of school thinking his dad would offer him a job in his company, but when his father passed away and the company was sold to people that actually understood something about business, he found himself in some deep . His mother moved to her sister's house, thinking he'd survive, thinking that he really had some brains inside his head and that they'd appear now that he's in trouble.
 
Well, they didn't.
 
The reasonable Kai had been long gone for a while already, and there the downhill began.
 
At the end he died in a car accident because he was driving highly intoxicated. As an angel he did regret it for maybe a minute, but after understanding that life was so much better there, he forgot about it.
 
And right now the past didn't matter to him anymore, and neither did the future. He didn't have to think his actions as much as he had to as an angel or a human. The demons only had three rules, and he would've done well in obeying them if this one particular girl wouldn't have appeared.
 
Yet here he was as a monster, helping mere humans. Sure, it meant good things to happen, for example his freedom, but he could've really made it much easier. Just devouring the black haired girl standing in the kitchen with her savior would make him return back to normal. He knew this had been going on for too long, but every time he approached the girl in hope to finally devour her, something stopped him from doing it, and staying away. 
 
He really thought it was because she was an angel's daughter, but he hadn't heard of that kind of powers, to make them impossible to be devoured by demons. After all, she was still more human than angel. Besides he could still just kill her.
 
But there was always another reason, and this time it was because Kai really didn't want to kill the girl. He refused to do any harm to the girl, maybe the last bit of humanity causing this. As he stood in the kitchen in the other universe, he stared at the shadow moving as if trying to explain something to the other shadow. His head tilted to the right and a sigh escaped his lips, his cold red eyes still focused on the shadow.
 
Maybe it was the eyes that made him stop in his track. Maybe the eyes that seemed so pure and innocent stopped him from thinking bad thoughts, freezing his actions. Even though he had only seen the eyes resemble water once, he still missed them. Now that they had turned into ice, they weren't as beautiful. But they still had the same effect on him. 
 
He straightened up and moved to the human universe. As soon as he arrived the other man took a few steps away and the girl looked at him in horror. His red eyes stared at the girl back first, and then moving his eyes on the man. His mouth was one straight line glued together and dry. He felt something, he really did, but he ignored the humanity pushing the hurt towards his heart.
 
"So, you're going to rescue yourself from me?", he said the dark voice making the other man flinch. The girl nodded slowly, trying hard to look unaffected. "Y-you won't let me?", she asked the voice coming out as small yet determined. A small smirk tugged onto the corner of his mouth.
 
"No, I will. I'm happy for you", he told the truth, making the girl blink. 
 
"What do you mean?", she asked. Kai noticed that the other man relaxed a little. What did he mean?
 
"Why do you think I haven't killed you yet? Are you seriously thinking I'm plotting something? I was never that kind of a person, to plan anything. And now isn't any different", he told laying his eyes on the girl secretly hoping to see the deep blue ocean in those eyes for a second time, but it didn't seem to work. Well, when had anything worked for him?
 
"Then, you don't care whether I'll get saved?", she asked sounding more confident now. The demon's eyes moved away from her eyes signalling frustration. He did care, he wanted it more than anything right now, he wanted to escape this damned mansion, walk away from all the trouble he had caused, ignore everything that he himself had made. He wanted to end this as quickly as possible, leaving the questions unsolved.
 
"Why would I?", he asked trying to sound ignorant, which he really wished to be right now. he really wished he wouldn't go further into all of this. He wanted her to let him leave and keep on gaining power by devouring innocent people.
 
With one more glance at the both of them, he left the universe, leaving only a trail of smoke behind. He was frustrated, angry and refusing to believe he just didn't kill the both of them. He walked away from the kitchen eyebrows knotted together in a long line. But as only three steps were taken he had teleported to the big hall he had been entered not too long ago again. Glancing to the right and to the left warily, he stood on his place. He sighed, an almost mute sigh, but he knew the person in the front, the cause of the teleportation, could still hear him. Keeping his eyes on a straight line he looked at the floor two metres away from him.
 
He already guessed what the man had to say.
 
"Kai, you're not really wise, are you?", the voice asked making the named person smirk. No, he certainly was not.
 
"You do remember the second rule, right? And even though it is only the second rule, it is as important as the first one", the voice reminded the demon even though he clearly remembered it.
 
"I do", he answered closing his eyes knowing that the booming voice will get louder now.
 
For his surprise, it didn't, it only got more demanding:
 
"Then, what is it, Kai? What is the second rule out of the three very simple rules you have agreed to obey?"
 
"Never disobey your commands", he answered hearing a couple of footsteps nearing him. And as he looked up, two red eyes glowed in the darkness with smoke hovering on the air, reminding him how much more powerful the demon behind the smoke curtain was.
 
"Then why don't you listen to me? Am I nothing to you? Are you perhaps more powerful than me? What is it that makes you not kill that damned girl?", the voice asked sounding more powerful than ever, as if million microphones were surrounding him. Kai knew that the other demon was frustrated too. And he also knew that there was only one answer why he didn't kill the mere human, the girl with oceans behind her eyes.
 
"It's humanity, sir. Don't tell me you've erased it, because I've heard, that no matter how many humans you've devoured or no matter how powerful you are, your only weakness will remain. And that weakness, sir, is humanity", he told now staring directly into those two red eyes.
 
He knew that the answer had its consequences, he knew that he'd pay for the words he had spat out without thinking it through.
 
But it was just how he was, a smartass, no matter who he was talking to.
 
And when he arrived back to the mansion, a wound decorating his right cheek, he couldn't feel more pleased.
 
 


 

did you order one mess of words tangled into each other, because you have one now. ( ̄ェ ̄;)
yes you are welcome (^v^)
i'm not sure about the music, but i have no regrets. and it's so late rn, my tired form may not have very great ideas.
ok i'm going to sleep, bye bye worries and reality, i'm going to the perfect land filled with happiness and laughter (and lots of unicorns and rainbow sheeps dancing to bo beep) 【・_・?】
 
oh yeah, i'm going to make edit the chapter image tomorrow.
 
- whaley (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づヾ