Opposite

Obsession

Zhang Yixing was Changsha High School's black sheep. He was the serious type with no social skills whatsoever, the nerdy type who goes straight home to study after school, the silent type with no friends. At all.

 

Xiao Lian was the new girl from Beijing. She was the popular one with the big circle of friends, the smart one whom all the teachers adore, the pretty one with looks that can captivate any man.

 

They say one of the deepest connections you can make is with a person completely opposite to you. But how deep does that connection go? How much more are you willing to deepen that connection before you drown and suffocate?

 

"May I have your attention please, everyone!" The teacher rapped her knuckles on the blackboard. The chattering students quieted down, and they looked at the teacher, itching with impatience, desperate to get the announcement over with. "We have a new student coming in today. She's from Beijing, and I trust that you will all be very nice to her." She gestured for the girl to come in.

The girl walked in slowly, her head bent down and her hands clasped together. She had long dark hair and flawless porcelain skin that flushed as she looked at them. When they saw her, the boys immediately straightened up in their seats, eager to catch the girl's attention. The teacher nudged her to introduce herself. "Hello everyone, my name is Xiao Lian. It's very nice to meet you all." She gave a little bow and smiled. "That's very nice. You can sit..." The teacher scanned the room for a vacant chair. Finding the only one at the back, she sighed in defeat. "Back there. Beside Zhang Yixing," She ponted him out. Lian bowed, and proceeded to her assigned seat.

 

"Do you remember the very first time we talked?" He asked, a small smile playing on his lips as he her cheek.

The girl nodded frantically, forcing a smile as tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

The boy was seemingly oblivious to her pain. "That was the very first time someone smiled at me..."

 

"Hi!" Lian whispered to Yixing, giving him a bright smile. "Hello," he answered stiffly, unable to return her smile. "Um, what's your name again? I didn't quite catch what the teacher said," she asked him, genuinely interested to know his name. "Uh, Zhang Yixing," he said, unable to look at her directly. She giggled. "Well it's nice meeting you, Yixing. I'm Xiao Lian. I hope we become very good friends!" She smiled at him again. That time, it was too bright, too happy, Yixing had to look away.

 

Outside the grey room they were in, the girl heard police sirens wailing, helicopters flying overhead. She tried desperately to scream, but no sound comes out. The boy smiled at her.

"They'll never find us here."

 

"Do you really have to go with them?" Yixing asked, tugging on Lian's sleeve as she packed up her books. "I'm sorry Yixing, but it's been a while since I've been with the girls. Besides, I'll be coming over later at your house, remember? We were going to make the Science project," Lian reminded him. Internally, Yixing fumed. He didn't like Lian spending time with other people. For some reason, it bugs him. "You shouldn't forget about me later then. What if you have so much fun with them that you forget to come over?" He asked worriedly. Truthfully, he had no idea how this friendship thing works. Lian was the only friend he's ever had, so he becomes really clingy sometimes. Lian laughed. "Don't be ridiculous, Yixing. You're my best friend in the entire world. I wouldn't forget about you. We'll be best friends, together forever."

 

After long, countless hours in painful silence, the girl finally mustered enough courage to speak up. "Why are you doing this, Yixing?" She asked, her voice trembling as a steady stream of tears rolled down her cheeks. Yixing knelt in front of her, wiping away her tears. "You're my best friend in the entire world, Lian. We'll be best friends, together forever."

 

The day was bright, sweltering hot, and as Yixing waited, he watched the drops of moisture slide down the cans of Coke he was holding. "Yixing!" The familiar voice soothed him, and he took a deep breath, starting to relax. He turned to look at her, but then he froze. She was smiling at him, but behind her was a boy, also smiling, holding onto her hand. "I want you to meet Luhan," she announced as they stopped in front of him. "He's my boyfriend." Blood rushed to Yixing's face, and his vision turned red. Before he was aware of what was happening, he had punched Luhan straight in the face, his nose a bleeding mess.

 

"What did you ever see in him, Lian? He's a mothering ," Yixing suddenly spat out at her. She looked at him straight in the eye and took a deep breath. "Luhan never scared me, bothered me the way you did, Yixing."

 

"Look, I'm sorry, Lian. I don't know what happened," Yixing pleaded as Lian continued to walk away from him. "You didn't know what happened? You've already punched him twice!" she snapped at him. He grabbed her wrist. "I'm truly sorry, Lian. I was just scared that you wouldn't have time to see me anymore. I want to be with you all the time. Don't you understand? You're my best friend," he pleaded with her. Lian's eyes widened in shock. "Don't ever come near Luhan again. I want you to stay away from me, Yixing." She turned and walked away quickly, her heart beating with fear as she left him standing there looking at her, his eyes unblinking.

 

The cold metal pressed against her cheek, and she winced as she felt the tiny cut well up with blood. "You're a monster," she said shakily. Yixing chuckled. "That's right. You turned me into one, that very first day you smiled." Blood was already staining his chest, and she guessed he didn't have much time left. She struggled in her bonds. "We'll always be together now," he wispered, the dagger gleaming evilly in his hand, and she barely had time to scream before there was nothing, nothing at all.

 

The police barged in, finding a girl cackling but somehow sobbing at the same time. "We were supposed to be together. I killed him, stabbed myself. Why am I still here?" she was sobbing. They untied the boy strapped to the chair, his body stabbed straight through a hundred times. The girl screamed once more, before they seized her and drove off far into the night.

 

Xiao Lian was Changsha High School's black sheep. She was the serious type with no social skills whatsoever, the nerdy type who goes straight home to study after school, the silent type with no friends. At all.

 

Zhang Yixing was the new student from Beijing. He was the popular one with the big circle of friends, the smart one whom all the teachers adore, the handsome one with looks that all the girls fall for.

 

They say one of the deepest connections you can make is with a person completely opposite to you. But how deep does that connection go? How much more are you willing to deepen that connection before you drown and suffocate?