Birthday Boy

Nothing More than Friends

His back was leaned against the foot of his bed with his laptop on his lap. Kyuhyun continued to press the buttons as fast as he could when he heard the doorbell rang.

He silently cursed at the person who interrupted his game. He got up and stretched for a minute. He could feel a slight discomfort on the lower part of his back. Kyuhyun knows that he should’ve used his desktop instead of his laptop but the desktop was slower than the laptop.

After a few minutes the doorbell sound kept ringing rapidly. Kyuhyun muttered under his breath and ran downstairs to open the door.

Once he reached the door to open it, he looked at who it was and was greeted by Donghae.

“Open the door birthday boy,” Donghae yelled through the closed door. “Open the door or I’ll call your mom,” Donghae threatened.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes as he tried to hide the smile that was threatening to show at the corners of his mouth.

Kyuhyun opened the door and was quickly met by Donghae’s huge embrace.

“Happy Birthday Kyu!” Donghae exclaimed as he hugged Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun just stood there trying to fight the smile and happiness he feels as he said, “What are you doing here?”

“It’s your birthday,” Donghae replied as if that statement explains why he was there. Donghae made his way to the living room.

Kyuhyun closed the door and went to the kitchen to get a drink. “Hey Kyu... while you’re there, can I get Nestea?” Donghae asked as he made himself at home by the living room.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and got 2 cans of Nestea for Donghae and himself. “I already know... you brat” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath.

“What did you say Kyu?” Donghae asked.

“I said sure...” Kyuhyun replied.

Kyuhyun grab the drinks as he made his way to the living room.

Once he was in the living room he opened both cans and gave one to Donghae. He took a sip then asked, “So do you mind telling my why you’re interrupting my game time?”

Donghae laughed and said, “Don’t you miss me?”

“I saw you yesterday at school,” Kyuhyun replied as he took another sip of the Nestea.

“I missed my best friend that’s why I came... is that such a crime?” Donghae began to say. Kyuhyun looked at him in disbelief and Donghae continued, “Never mind... don’t answer that.”

Both of them laughed. Once they stopped laughing, Donghae asked, “So when are we leaving to meet the others?”

“You’re just eager to see Jessica aren’t you,” Kyuhyun asked.

Donghae smiled and replied, “Maybe...”

Kyuhyun couldn’t ignore the sharp pain he felt after understanding the reason behind Donghae’s smile. Kyuhyun loves Donghae there’s no doubt about that. But why does he feel another emotion after hearing Donghae’s enthusiastic response?

“Kyu? Are you okay?” Donghae asked because of Kyuhyun’s sudden silence.

Kyuhyun looked up and met Donghae’s eyes and said, “Yeah I’m fine. We’re supposed to meet them at 7 for dinner at the karaoke place so we still have time.”

“What do you mean there’s still time? It’s almost 5 and you’re still in your pajamas. Unless you want them to wait for us then you better take a shower and we’ll leave around 6:30,” Donghae suggested.

Kyuhyun nod his head and said, “Alright.”

Kyuhyun was going to his room as he heard the soft chattering of the television in the background.

“I don’t want to go...” Kyuhyun muttered to himself.

Once he reached his room, Kyuhyun grabbed his favorite black t-shirt with skinny jeans to match, as he heads toward the bathroom. He took his pajamas off and began taking a shower.

As he massaged the shampoo on his head, he couldn’t help but think about what would happen later. There was Heechul, Siwon, Sungmin, Eunhyuk, Sooyoung, Tiffany, and Jessica. If it was up to him, he would rather stay in his house and play his video game.

But Heechul insisted on having a celebration, a mini party for his birthday. Why did they invite the girls? Donghae had a crush on Jessica and Sungmin had a crush on Sooyoung. Tiffany is also Siwon’s ex girlfriend who became their mutual friend.

Kyuhyun’s thoughts were interrupted when Donghae’s voice could be heard with a loud knock.

“Kyu... Heechul said that he’s on his way. Heechul hyung is with Siwon and Sungmin. Eunhyuk said he will be picking us up and that he’s about 25 minutes away. I also got a text from the girls saying they’re about 20 minutes away,” Donghae yelled as his voice could be heard through the loud water running.

Kyuhyun could say anything but reply, “Ok... I’m already changing.”

Kyuhyun quickly finished and began changing. Once he was completely clothed, he got out.

“Let’s go,” Kyuhyun said.

“Um... Kyu? You’re not wearing your shoes. You didn’t even brush your hair or teeth,” Donghae said.

“Oh yeah... hold on,” Kyuhyun said as he rushed back to the bathroom. He got his toothbrush and put a bit of toothpaste on it.

He was brushing his teeth when Donghae went towards Kyuhyun’s room. Kyuhyun was still brushing his teeth when Donghae came back with a hair brush.

Donghae brushed the tangles from Kyuhyuns hair while the latter continued to brush his own mouth.

“You’re excited to see Tiffany aren’t you?” Donghae asked as he brushed Kyuhyun’s hair.

Kyuhyun tried to mutter something as a response but his mouth was full of toothpaste. He rinsed his mouth and wiped his damp mouth with his towel.

“What do you mean?” Kyuhyun asked.

Donghae finished brushing Kyuhyun’s hair and gave Kyuhyun the hairbrush. Kyuhyun left the hairbrush on the bathroom counter as he went to his room and grabbed a pair of mismatched socks.

“Your socks don’t match,” Donghae said. Kyuhyun didn’t even notice when Donghae followed him to his room. Kyuhyun took another pair of socks but this time, they matched.

“I remember when Heechul hyung invited the girls last week, you became unusually quiet. You like her don’t you?” Donghae asked.

“I don’t like her Hae,” Kyuhyun replied as he looked for his cologne.

Donghae saw the cologne Kyuhyun was looking for and gave it to the latter. Kyuhyun muttered his thanks as both of them head towards the door.

“Don’t lie to me, Kyu. I know you. We’ve been friends for a long time and I can tell if you like someone you become unusually quiet. It might not be her but there’s someone you have an eye on,” Donghae explained.

Kyuhyun was turning the lights off when there were three quick honks.

“That must be Eunhyuk,” Donghae said.

Once Kyuhyun turned off all the lights, they head out the door.

Before they reached Eunhyuk’s car, Kyuhyun said, “I don’t like her that way. I have a crush on someone else but I know it will never happen.”

“Who?” Donghae asked.

Kyuhyun ignored the question and went inside Eunhyuk’s car, sitting in the front seat.

“Happy birthday Kyu,” Eunhyuk greeted Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun muttered his thanks as he realized that what he said is somewhat true. Kyuhyun doesn’t like someone per se, he believes that he might’ve fallen in love with someone unintentionally. He fell for someone and that someone is sitting behind him. He fell in love with his best friend, hoping that he will only see his best friend as his best friend and nothing more.


A/N: Sorry for not updating. I had writer's block for this story and was uninspired. I appreciate the support and hope that you continue to support this story.