Lock and Escape

Legend of the Dark Mountains

As soon as they arrived at the castle, Gui Gui and Ah Xing were tossed into the dungeon.

They were literallly tossed.

"Jeez," Ah Xing said, rubbing her arm," so violent."

The guards just stared at her weirdly. "What?" she asked in oblivion. They just shook their heads and left the dungeon. Seriously, she's telling them they're violent?

Well, either way, they knew that two teenage girls aren't going to be able to escape the King's dungeon. Before they left, they said they would be back in about three hours to bring them to the king.

"So we really are meeting the king after all," Gui said.

"Shut up," said one of the guards.

Ah Xing took a rock out of her pocket and tossed it at him when he wasn't looking. It was always good to keep some rocks in your pocket, just in case you run into danger.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Now what are we supposed to do?" Gui asked her trustful companion once two hours had passed.

Ah Xing shrugged. "I don't know, but unless you want to be headless for the rest of your life, let's try to find a way out of here. It's just too bad that this is the King's dungeon. There's probably no way we're going to get out of here."

Gui flicked her friend in the forehead.

"OW! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?"

"Where's the Ah Xing I know? She never gives up!"

Ah Xing let out a frustrated sigh. "Well that Ah Xing was gone since the moment we entered this dungeon."

Gui glared at her. "You mean you're giving up?"

All she got back was silence. Ah Xing was shocked when Gui smirked. It was very unlike her. "Well do what you want, but I'm going to try to get out of here. My life is good, and I don't want to end it now." Ah Xing stared at her, dumbfound, as she tried checking the lock of the door.

"What are you doing?" Ah Xing asked.

"I'm going to try to pick it." With that, she took our her hair pin and tried to unlock the door.

"Really? I don't think that's going to-" but before she could even finish her sentence, they both heard a loud click.

Gui grinned. "You were saying?"

Ah Xing raised an eyebrow. "I rest my case."

"Now," Gui smiled at her best friend," let's get out of here."

-----------------------------------------------------

The two took a sharp turn around the corner, just to retreat back behind it.

"Shoot, there are two guards coming," Gui informed.

"Let's go back the other way," Ah Xing said, but that plan backfired when they heard footsteps coming from their previous directions also. "What are we supposed to do now?" Gui panicked.

"I don't know!" Ah Xing whispered in frustration before slamming her fist against the marble wall.

To their surprised, they fell back into a secret pathway. There were two torches lit on the wall. "Wow, our luck is pretty good right now," Gui said before they grabbed the torches and continued their escape plan.

They soon reached a ladder leading upwards.

"I wonder where this leads to," Gui Gui said, lifting her light source higher. All they saw was a lid at the top, above them about two meters or so.

"There's only one way to find out," Ah Xing said. She started to climb, having Gui follow her.

A few minutes later, Ah Xing hit her head against something.

"OW!" she exclaimed.

Gui looked up. "What?"

"I hit my head onto something."

She held the torch with one hand with her arm hanging around the ladder to prevent her from falling. With her unoccupied one, she pushed up against the metal surface. It wasn't hard to open. Sweet sunlight flooded in.

"I think we've reached the surface," Gui concluded.

Ah Xing blew out her torch before throwing it up. Unfortunately, she threw it upwards and it didn't move, so it came down once again and hit her on the head before falling down into the tunnel.

"Why am I the one that always gets hurt?" she exclaimed angrily and pulled herself up. From the looks of it, they were outside the castle gates and in a forest.

Ah Xing helped her friend up. The wind blew out the torch, but it was fine. They didn't need it anymore since they were on the surface.

"Come on," Ah Xing said to Gui," let's get out of here."