The First Meeting

Permanently

"Yeeun-ah...."

My fingers stilled on the piano keys, and I froze up. Every time JYP came to me with that disappointed tone in his voice, I always expected him to take away this dream away from me and tell me that, no, I wasn't good enough to debut with the Wonder Girls. My voice would always freeze right in my throat, and I had to cough a few times before he could continue.

"Yeeun-ah, I know you need to practice as hard as possible until the debut, but you also need to take some time to socialize. I have many trainees complaining to me that they haven't even seen the new face of Wonder Girls, you're always cramped up in some practice room by yourself!"

I relaxed as I could tell he was mock-lecturing me. But I knew he had a point. "Sorry sorry, I just didn't want them to think I was slacking off. Any of them here now? I'll go greet them."


He grinned. "Well as a matter of fact, there is. Just one. Ironically, he's kinda like you...he keeps to himself and his group members." His grin lessened, "He's from America, so he's been having some trouble adjusting. I think he's better now....but yeah. I was actually thinking you guys could work on a song for me?"

"Eh???" His last sentence threw me off completely. "Buu-uutt, don't I have to work on the WG song? I haven't exactly gotten all the choreography down and-"

He cut me off, "It'll be easy. Yeeun, have more trust in your talents okay? I wouldn't just choose anyone to go through such a short amount of training before debut. Plus, I'll treat you guys to a big feast after you finish this song."

Before my mind could process the fact that I was talking to my boss, who I wasn't quite comfortable with yet, and that I was a newcomer to his company, the mention of food, an abundance of it, somehow magically made my fist pump in the air, and the most unfeminine "AAAAAAASSSAAAAHHH!!!" burst out of my mouth.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" JYP roared, and I was glad he didn't kick me out of the company right there, "I guess you haven't been able to eat as much as usual, huh? Alright, well you can go to the 1st recording studio down the hall...I'll meet you later and see when I should be scheduling that dinner."

I managed to make a quick bow before running out of the room, my face beet-red. As soon as some of the embarrassment wore off, I grinned - how I would shock Sunye with this story! Sohee would shake her head at me, too. Sunmi and Hyunah...well, they had already gotten used to my behavior.

I started skipping towards the recording studio, in a much better mood after thinking how I could make my members laugh, and more importantly, how I could eat to my heart's content in a few days. I opened the door a little more enthusiastically than I should've, and burst in with a breathless, "Helllooo??"

And there he was. Lounging on the couch with his hat tilted and fashionable sneakers. All arrogance and confidence, his eyes swept slowly towards my direction, and when they landed on me, he gave me a smirk.

I disliked him immediately. He knew he was good-looking, and he knew he had an effect on people, I could tell. And even if he made my heart beat a little faster and my mind dislike him simultaneously....well, I was going to ignore that and be nice.

"I'm Yeeun. Park Yeeun. It's nice to meet you, -?"

He ignored the hand I offered, and instead gave me the up and down with his eyes. I regretted not wearing nicer practice clothes, then immediately got mad at myself for letting him make me feel that way. "I'm Jay- er Jaebum. Same last name. So," his eyes quickly glanced away from me, as if I wasn't important enough for his attention, "we got this song here.....I just finished working on my rap...so I'm gonna record now." He threw the paper he was holding in my general direction. "You can learn your part, and record when I'm done."

Uhhhh....."What? Wait, but I'm just seeing this song now. This is my first time looking at it." I knew my eyebrows were crinkling together in the way my makeup artist told me to try and avoid, but with this puzzling guy, I really couldn't help it.

He didn't even look at me, or even stop, on his way into the room. "So what? It's mine, too. Oh hey, Shorty." He turned and greeted the rapper who had just come in and joined us. "Dude, if you need to, just listen to the headphones on the couch - that's the melody of your part."

I turned automatically and greeted the rapper, grateful to have a distraction from this irritating man. Shorty was much easier to deal with, but like Jaebum, he expected to have this song done by nighttime. I ignored Jaebum's recording, and instead put all my focus in learning the lyrics and tune of the song. He was done much too soon.

"Okay, Yeeun, it's your turn, now. You ready?" Shorty asked me.

I wish I could've said I needed more time, and I probably would have if Jaebum hadn't been there smirking at me through the glass. "I'm ready." I humphed in his direction as I walked into the recording studio. I fully expected him to walk out of the room and disregard me as he had been doing all this time, but instead he sat right at the window, his eyes fixed on me. My leg started shaking out of nervousness...yes, this was a much different experience from recording with the girls and JYP at the glass, telling us what to do.

I started singing as best as I could in the situation, but hardly 4 seconds had passed before I heard his voice in my ear. "Yah, you're flat."

Yah? This boy just "yah"-ed me?!

I couldn't even say anything, so I just nodded furiously. I thought I saw Shorty shake his head in pity.

5 seconds passed the next time before I heard the voice again. "Nah....you need to be louder."

And so it went, for what seemed like several lifetimes. A few seconds would pass, and then he'd interrupt me with the most annoying comments, spoken very rudely too. My hatred was building up for this guy as my throat started throbbing. It wasn't until his last "No, LoudER!" that I inhaled deeply and used all of my frustration to yell out the lyrics....the whole time I was imagining clobbering him in the head.

And I wasn't interrupted. It wasn't until I finished the song and opened my eyes, that I realized that only one human was on the other side of the glass. "Where did he go?"

Shorty smiled apologetically. "He left while you were singing. Said this was fine, and he was going to get back to practice now. Oh, and he said something about not being able to make dinner with you and JYP tonight. Something about being on a diet?"

I nearly roared. I HATED him!

 

That night, I overate and suffered from a stomachache. The girls laughed all right, but not at my embarrassing story with JYP. Oh no, they laughed at what they called my unfortunate reaction to Jay Park's special charm. I indignantly told Sunye that I was NOT going to be charmed by a snake.

She only laughed louder.