Part III

➤ CEASE FIRE

 

 

It was the smell of bacon that woke Kris up early. His nose twitched, and blinking blearily, Kris blindly patted around the side table for his clock for a long moment before he remembered there wasn’t a clock there because he was at his mother’s place. Right. It had seemed like a good idea last night after Luhan had dropped off Yixing's wedding invitation.

 

He didn't get it. Just when Kris thought things were maybe going somewhere, something he said caused Yixing to leave his apartment abruptly and quit the ad agency. The many attempts he put in to contacting the graphic designer were useless; Yixing wouldn’t talk to him nor explain why he was so mad that day. He guessed that it had something to do with Yixing’s father but until Uncle Zhang called him back, Kris could only assume that Yixing and his father didn’t get along.

 

So when Luhan came over to give him the dreaded envelope, Kris immediately packed to leave his apartment. He knew that if he was left alone, he’d be at risk of burning down the entire building because he was so, so mad. How could Yixing go ahead with the wedding, when he told him he liked him? He thought they had a ing connection!

 

So the best thing for Kris to do (other than seeing his psychiatrist) was to go home. He ought to visit his mother anyway and knowing that she would be around him would prevent him from (literally) playing with fire. She could distract him from thinking about Yixing.

 

Yawning loud enough to cause a mini earthquake in the room, Kris dragged his feet out of bed and to the hallway where he was about to continue to the kitchen when he heard voices at the door.

 

“I’m telling you to go,” his mother was desperately begging, “Nothing’s going to come out of this.”

 

Was someone bothering her? A frown made its way onto Kris’ face as he cautiously walked closer, keeping his eyes at the door to check out who was on the other side.

 

“I don’t understand,” said a man’s voice. “I thought things were going well between us? Why are you pushing me away?”

 

His mother shook her head. “Just go,” she managed to say and shoved him out before slamming the door. She spun around and leaned against the door, and that was when Kris froze at the sight of her face. His mother was crying.

 

“… Mum?” he asked carefully, startling the older woman who hurriedly wiped her face. “What’s wrong? Who was that?”

 

She shook her head fervently and her lips pulled into a smile that looked way too fake for him. “Nobody. Don’t worry about it, okay? Go wash up and come have breakfast.”

 

Liar. His mother wouldn’t be crying that hard if that person was nobody. A wave of guilt swept through him. She was lying to him, because she remembered, didn't she? How much Kris hated it when she started dating someone and how much he hated it when his father introduced a new woman in his life. Hated it to the point the psychiatrist claimed it triggered his pyromania.

 

At twenty-five, Kris still harboured the hope that his family would get back to how it used to be. But even if he did, did they want to? Was he being too selfish by stopping them from seeing other people? And was he hurting his mother by preventing her from finding her own happiness?

 

 

***

 

 

He found it impossible to concentrate on work. Kris had been staring at the computer screen for the past hour, eyes stuck on the same email he had read over and over again but wasn’t processing. His gaze flicked up from the screen again to stare at the empty cubicle just across his office. Yixing’s cubicle seemed to be mocking him for his inability to pay any attention.

 

He pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned back against his swivel chair, spinning around to look down at the streets from his window when he heard the sound of knocking on his glass door. Kris turned back and gestured for the receptionist to enter, noticing a tall figure behind her. His eyes widened in surprise.

 

“Uncle Zhang!” he exclaimed, as the receptionist shut the door behind her. “What brings you here? You should have called me.”

 

The older man shifted uncomfortably in the chair across Kris and from the way he was fidgeting with his sleeves, Kris could tell he was nervous.

 

“Is... Yixing here? I want to talk to him. He refuses to pick up my calls,” he said, in an obviously distressed voice. Kris bit his lower lip apologetically, feeling bad that he couldn’t help Uncle Zhang in this matter.

 

“Yixing... quit the agency a few days ago,” Kris told him, “After he found out you got him the job here.” The flash of hurt across Uncle Zhang’s face was gone so fast Kris almost thought he imagined it. Kris hesitantly continued. “If you don’t mind me asking, uncle, why does Yixing hate you so much?”

 

Uncle Zhang looked as if he expected the question. He sighed heavily. “I didn’t have a good relationship with Yixing,” he said, “I... was seldom home because of my job as a pilot so Yixing practically grew up with just one parent. I’m not sure, but I can only guess that he doesn’t like me being around my wife.” Uncle Zhang cleared his throat uncomfortably. “He probably hated me for cutting off contact between him and his mother for five years.”

 

Kris wasn’t sure what to think of this piece of information. It just showed that while he had been struggling to keep his family intact, Yixing was trying to separate his own. He didn’t want to judge, but it seemed like Yixing’s father had no clue how to properly reach out to his son.

 

“So why...?” he trailed off cautiously.

 

“Why I kept them away?” Kris nodded. Uncle Zhang looked conflicted, uncertain whether or not he ought to tell Kris but the former won out. “Yixing is a smart kid. He was accepted to a prestigious school in Guangzhou but he was so unwilling to leave my wife he wanted to settle for an ordinary university in Changsha. We didn’t want him to waste his future like that.” He sighed heavily. “It was also why we chose not to tell Yixing his mother had cancer. Because we knew it’d affect him, then he would never leave her side.”

 

Kris stared at him speechlessly, fighting the urge to put himself in Yixing’s shoes and failing terribly. “You’re selfish,” he blurted out, subconsciously aware that he was being rude to his elder. “You hid the fact that Yixing’s mother had cancer for five years? He didn’t even get the chance to see her one last time? If he practically grew up with her then imagine how heartbreaking it is for him not being able to say goodbye!”

 

“Every parent wants the best for his child,” argued Uncle Zhang feebly.

 

The best? Kris scoffed but he didn’t have a comeback to that. Who was he to judge?

 

Uncle Zhang sighed again. “Look, Yifan, I just want to see Yixing. I met his ex-classmate the other day and he said Yixing is getting married. Is it true?”

 

Kris nodded slowly. How much did Yixing hate his father to not even send him a wedding invitation? He felt a little sorry for the older man and stood up from his chair. “Why not I introduce you to his fiancée?” he suggested gently. “She works here.”

 

When Uncle Zhang saw Tasha, the first word he uttered was ‘Ruixin’.

 

“She looks like her,” he breathed, when the woman turned her back on them. Kris looked at him questioningly and that was when he elaborated. “Like Yixing’s mother.”

 

 

***

 

 

“Dr Zhou, I have a question,” Kris began, mobile phone tucked between his shoulder and his ear. “Is it possible for, say, a guy who loves his mother so much that he marries a girl because she subconsciously reminds him of his mother?”

 

“Kris Wu? Hey, do you have any idea how many times I called you? You haven’t been coming for your sessions for –”

 

“Dr Zhou,” interrupted Kris urgently as he stuck his hand out and waved frantically for a cab. Much to his relief, he didn’t have to wait long. “Answer my question.”

 

The psychiatrist on the other end of the phone paused for so long Kris was beginning to think he had hung up. “Yes,” he said warily. “I’d say there are quite a number of men who looked for someone motherly.”

 

“No, not motherly.” Kris bit his tongue to stop himself from spewing out curses at his doctor. “Someone exactly like his mother. Like a – a replacement.”

 

“Sure.” He could almost hear Dr Zhou shrug. “That’s entirely possible. Kris. Does this have something to do with Jessica?”

 

“I’ll tell you when I see you. I have a wedding to stop.”

 

The cab hadn’t even come to a complete stop when Kris yanked the door open and almost fell out in his hurry. He shoved a bunch of notes to the driver, vaguely aware that he gave way too much money but he didn’t have time to wait for change. There was something far more important he had to get than a few measly dollars. 

 

The tune of Pachelbel’s Canon in D reached his ears before his feet could reach the church. Holding his breath, Kris threw open the doors and panic rose in his throat when he saw Yixing at the front, holding Tasha’s hand. Without even allowing himself to consider that he might be too late, he ran all the way down the aisle and wrenched Yixing’s arm away.

 

“I object,” he snarled to the officiant, and all but dragged Yixing out of the church, avoiding the horrified stares the guests threw at him. 

 

“You’re ing nuts!” spat Yixing, futilely trying to wrench his hand away from Kris when they were out of earshot but the taller man was determined to pull him even further from the church, lest someone came to take him back. He felt a little sorry to Tasha, and even to Yixing’s father, but Kris wasn’t ready to let this man disappear from his life just like that.

 

“What the is wrong with you,” Yixing continued furiously, this time punching his arm hard but still Kris did not let go. He narrowed his eyes and waved wildly at a concerned passerby watching them. “Help! I’m being kidnapped!”

 

Kris jerked him away from the stranger and flashed him a tight smile. “He’s not being kidnapped,” he corrected. “We are having a lovers’ tiff. Be gone.”

 

“You’re mad,” Yixing told him in annoyance, but Kris thought he was one step closer to getting to him because at least the other man had stopped struggling against his hold. “Why are you doing this? I’m getting married. All our – your – colleagues were there. Do you know what you’ve gotten yourself into?”

 

Yixing was right, of course, but Kris would worry on Monday when he saw them. He fixed Yixing an unrelenting stare that the other had difficulty meeting until Kris cupped his face and made him look.

 

“You know why I am doing this,” Kris stated gruffly. “I told you. I am in love with you. And I strongly believe you are with me too.” Yixing opened his mouth to retort but Kris merely pressed his thumb to his lips before shaking his head. “Don’t tell me you love Tasha. If you did, you wouldn’t be cheating on her all the time.”

 

“That doesn’t prove that I... like you.”

 

Kris snorted softly at Yixing’s stubbornness. “Look at me. I’m not one of your one-night-stands, am I?” he drawled. “If you didn’t have feelings for me, why would you come back to me all the time?” He leaned all the way in, until their noses met. “Admit it. You love me.”

 

The three words rewarded Kris with the prettiest blush that ever materialised on Yixing’s face.

 

“You’re so full of yourself,” Yixing muttered but at least he didn’t thrash about so much to get away anymore. Kris grazed the side of Yixing’s face with his thumb and lowered his head to press his lips against his. The kiss was slow and gentle, and coaxed away any doubts of Kris’ feelings for him.

 

“Fine,” Yixing said with much reluctance, blatantly ignoring Kris’ smirk at how breathless he sounded. “I like you. But I—” He hesitated. “I… don’t think we will work out.”

 

The smile on Kris’ face faded. “Why?” he demanded to know. “Is it because I’m a man? Is it because I’m nothing like your mother?”

 

Yixing’s eyes flew to Kris’s face and he swallowed, visibly. “What do you know?”

 

“Everything!”  Kris exploded impatiently. “Your father told me everything.” He gripped Yixing’s hand before he could recoil or hit him again for being in contact with Uncle Zhang. “Yixing, you can trust me. I won’t hurt you.”

 

“I just… don’t know if I can commit to a relationship where feelings are involved,” admitted Yixing quietly. A long pause followed and Kris was about to lose hope. It was then a small, reluctant smile formed on Yixing’s lips. “But okay. I’m willing to try.”

 

The confession ignited a burning sensation in Kris’ chest and this time, fire wasn’t involved in it. His heart felt like it was about to burst and Kris had to literally bite his lip to stop himself from grinning stupidly.

 

“You won’t regret it.”

 

 

***

 

 

“What the ?! How dare you—” Yixing’s sentence gave way to a series of colourful cruses that sent several disapproving stares their way. Flushing slightly, Kris quickly clamped a hand over his boyfriend’s lips and hauled the irate man over to the table, forcibly pushing him down on the chair. He knew how frightening a pissed off Yixing could be so he averted his gaze with a badly disguised cough.  

 

The minute Kris let go of his hand, Yixing stood up from the chair again. Kris yanked him back down and they wrestled a little at the restaurant table, only ending when Kris sat on Yixing to stop him from escaping.

 

“Just listen to him, Xing,” he begged, casting the mildly amused older man across their table an apologetic look. “Stop avoiding him.”

 

“I’m beginning to regret our relationship,” fumed Yixing but the fact that he stopped resisting underneath him was a good sign. A smile played on Kris’ lips at the harmless threat. A few weeks ago, he probably would have panicked, but now he knew better.

 

“I’ll call you when I reach Canada,” Kris whispered in his ear, pleased to note that Yixing had slightly shuddered under his warm breath. “Don’t lose your temper.”

 

Yixing grunted and pretended to shove Kris off his lap. “Same goes to you, . Now get lost before you miss your flight.”

 

The endearment merely had Kris smiling wider. Brushing his lips against Yixing’s lightly, he stood up and his cheeks heated up when his brain finally recalled that Yixing’s father was watching them. Fantastic first impression he was making as Yixing’s boyfriend.

 

“Just go,” Yixing bemoaned, saving Kris from further embarrassment of having to think of appropriate words to say to Uncle Zhang. Kris flashed them a lopsided grin and the grin stayed on his face as he escaped the restaurant where he then waited at the sidewalk for a cab. He stuck his hand into his duffel bag in search of his passport – because even though he wasn’t as scatterbrained as his boyfriend, he had brief moments of forgetfulness – but his fingers closed in on another object instead. His old matchstick box.

 

Kris looked over his shoulder into the restaurant where Yixing sat with his father. A smile played on his lips at how obviously rigid Yixing’s posture was but the fact that he hadn’t run out of there made Kris proud. He glanced back at the matchstick box for two seconds and casually chucked it into the dustbin next to him.

 

He didn’t need a fire to ease his tension anymore.  

 


A/N: It's overrrrrr. Thanks to everyone who read and commented (I'll love you even more if you can leave one last comment for this part!). I'll be continuing LayHan's Everything In Transit (which should last between 10 - 20 chapters) but I have a few plot ideas for Kray, so please click subscribe to author on my main page if you are interested!