1/1

Love at first Book

 

Baekhyun stood on his tip toes, arm outstretched and waving desperately in the air as he attempted unsuccessfully, to get the book he needed. Huffing exasperatedly, he reached out once again but failed, again. He came down from his tip toes and stared at the book forlornly. Suddenly, a long arm reached out from behind him and pulled out the book that he had wanted with ease together with another book on the same level. Baekhyun turned around in surprise, but the tall boy merely handed Baekhyun the book he had been trying to reach for before, before walking away wordlessly. Baekhyun could only stare at the book in wonderment and watched as the boy walked out of the library. He sighed in disappointment, he hadn’t even got the chance to thank the boy yet.

Hence, Baekhyun was pleasantly surprise when the boy appeared behind him once more, a few days later, as Baekhyun attempted again, unsuccessfully to reach for a tall book. The boy pointed at the book Baekhyun wanted and Baekhyun nodded his head vigorously. Once again, the boy took down the book with ease and handed it to Baekhyun, but this time round, Baekhyun didn’t wait for the boy to leave. He tugged at the boy’s shirt and the latter looked at him in puzzlement. Baekhyun motioned for the boy to follow him and led them to a table in a corner of the library.

Baekhyun then took out his notepad and scribbled out something and showed it to the stranger. “ hi! thank you x2 ! :D”.

A small smile appeared on the guy’s face as he took baekhyun’s notepad and wrote back. “you’re welcome shortie ! :D” seeing the response, Baekhyun pouted cutely, a frown marring his face which widened the guy’s grin

. Baekhyun snatched the notepad back “ I’m not called shortie! My name is Byun Baekhyun!” Baekhyun did not know why he had written his name on the notepad, but he guessed that he had done it instinctively.

“But shortie sounds cuter~  And my name is Park Chanyeol.”  baekhyun huffed in annoyance but he was unable to write a response as he watched a tall beautiful girl with long legs that seemed to go on forever walking towards them. Chanyeol turne around to see what Baekhyun was staring at and immediately snatched baekhyun’s notepad. “sorry that I have to leave so abruptly, but I will give you an explanation the next time we meet again! bye new friend~” as Chanyeol wrote his last words, the girl reached him and pulled Chanyeol up from his seat by the ear and Baekhyun watched in bewilderment. Chanyeol returned the notepad to Baekhyun. By the time Baekhyun looked back up from reading chanyeol’s parting words, the tall boy was already gone. Oh well, Chanyeol did say that he would give an explanation the next time they met which meant that he intended to see Baekhyun again. But Baekhyun could not help but drawing to the conclusion that the girl was most likely chanyeol’s girlfriend. It was no wonder as the girl was as tall and as good looking as Chanyeol. “Wait a minute… did I just think that Chanyeol was good looking?” Baekhyun thought to himself. Well he must admit that Chanyeol was certainly handsome, but never had he thought his heart would beat faster at the mere thought of a certain handsome and tall boy.

 

The next few days passed by in disappointment, his heart dropping a little each time he realized that the tall boy was nowhere in the library. However, it was the day he fell asleep in the middle of doing his music homework when the tall boy decided to make his appearance. Baekhyun jerked up in surprise and shock when fingers danced across his sensitive nape, clutching it with both his hands, rudely awoken by a certain tall and handsome male. He attempted to glare threateningly at Chanyeol, but the taller boy merely found it extremely cute and laughed at Baekhyun. Chanyeol showed Baekhyun the notepad where he had scribbled something new on it. “ hey,do you want to go out somewhere where we can talk properly instead of writing on this notepad. ;)” Baekhyun nodded in agreement and he packed up his things.

 Once they were out of the library, Chanyeol stuck out his hand toward Baekhyun, “hi Baekhyun, nice to meet you.” Baekhyun’s eyes grew as big as saucers as his ears reverberated from the deep mellow voice that had seemed to be from Chanyeol’s mouth. Chanyeol chuckled at Baekhyun’s surprised face, the soothing deep chuckles echoing in Baekhyun’s eardrums. Baekhyun held up his notepad. “Your voice. Wow.It’s nice to meet you too.” He smiled widely, eyes disappearing into cresents. “You’re really cute.” Chanyeol blurted out, as he mentally screamed at himself for saying that. Baekhyun blushed as his delicate fingers tugged on the hem of his sweater shyly, “thanks.” he wrote again. “Why are you still using the notepad?” Chanyeol asked curiously. “I can’t talk.” Was the short reply. Chanyeol’s eyes grew wide. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t know.” its alright.” Bakhyun offered a small yet sad smile. The both of them stood at the entrance of the library in silence as Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun who was currently staring intently at the ground.

Baekhyun continued looking down at the ground as he waited for an explanation. Chanyeol seemed to realize that he had yet to explain to the boy what had happened. “I’m really sorry, my sister decided to turn up suddenly to drag me to one of her tea parties. I would have rather spend the time in the library with you.” Baekhyun blushed as he took in the last line. “your sister..ah… no wonder. You’re both really tall and good looking.”

 

Chanyeol smiled, “I’m sure my sister will be really hnoured that you called her good looking. you know, how about we go to the café that’s just a little down the street? They serve really good hot chocolate. I will treat you as compensation for leaving halfway the previous time.” Chanyeol suggested.

“That sounds nice.” Baekhyun wrote with a dreamy expression as his mouth watered slightly at the top of some creamy hot chocolate on a chilly day like this.

 After a moment’s of hesitation, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s hand on impulse as he led the way to the café, their fingers interlacing naturally. A rosy blush dusted Baekhyun’s cheeks as he stared at their hands and struggled to keep up with chanyeol’s long legs. “That’s why I say you’re shortie.” Chanyeol laughed, but he slowed down significantly so that Baekhyun could walk beside him without difficulty. Baekhyun bit his lip and stared at the ground as a sad puppy expression formed on his face. “you know I don’t really mean it cutie.” Chanyeol nudged baekhyun’s side teasingly. But baekhyun’s sad expression remained. Chanyeol started to panic, “omg I’m so sorry, I really was just kidding. You’re like the normal height, I’m just freakishly tall.” Chanyeol spluttered as he tried to save the situation. He had just met Baekhyun, and he really liked the extremely cute guy and did not want to ruin the friendship they had just formed.

Baekhyun’s face split into a huge grin. Chanyeol stared in disbelief, why was Baekhyun smiling, wasn’t he just angry a moment ago at Chanyeol calling him a shortie. “oh my god, that was so funny,” Baekhyun wiped imaginary tears away from the corner of his eyes. “I was just kidding with you too. I got over the shortie comment long ago since I get that a lot, I mean my cousins are all as freakishly tall as you, so I’m used to being called shortie already.”

 “To think that I really thought you were angry at me.” Chanyeol said indignantly, but internally, he felt really, really extremely relieved that Baekhyun had not taken his shortie comment seriously.

They arrived shortly at the café, “chanyeollie! How nice to see you here again, and you even brought along such a pretty friend.” exclaimed a plump kind looking grandmotherly woman who proceeded to give Chanyeol a hug despite the huge height difference. “Grandma, let me go this is so embarrassing.” Chanyeol whined. She then let go of him to greet Baekhyun, “hi pretty one, what’s your name.” “

baekhyun bowed respectfully, silently. “he lost his voice.” Chanyeol said helpfully. A look of worry clouded her features as she looked at Baekhyun understandingly. “Don’t worry dearies, I shall go prepare some nice hot chocolate to cheer the both of you up.” She smiled and Chanyeol smiled at his grandmother gratefully and led Baekhyun to a table in a corner of the café.

Baekhyun finally managed to take a good look of his surroundings. It was a cosy little café, filled with plush armchairs, round coffee tables the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and baked cookies. It seemed like a really good place to relax and enjoy a good book in, as he could see a few other people doing just that in the café. “it’s really nice, this café. “ he commented. “really? I’m glad you like it. this is my favourite place after home and the library and I come here after school every day to help out.” “I’m sure it will be my favourite place soon too.” Baekhyun smiled, and Chanyeol was once again taken aback by how angelic Baekhyun looked when he smiled. “you two are just too cute.” Grandmother interrupted as she placed two steaming mugs of hot chocolate on the table together with a plate of warm banana muffins. “enjoy your food.” “your grandmother’s really nice.”

 “aish, don’t mind her, she always say weird things. But I do think that you’re pretty too. And cute” Chanyeol looked down at his muffin after saying it.

“I’m a boy, I’m not supposed to be pretty.” Baekhyun pouted.

“but you’re really pretty. I mean, look, even your fingers are so pretty.” Chanyeol continued as he admired Baekhyun’s long slender beautiful fingers. baekhyun snatched his fingers back from the huge warm hand of chanyeol’s, frowning at his fingers, how could they be pretty. “they’re just fingers, how can they be pretty?”

“they are, I think they are really pretty, just like their owner.” Chanyeol teased.

“I’m not pretty. Im just good looking.” Baekhyun stuck out his tongue playfully. “haha, how humble of you.” “I’m just stating a fact.” Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders nonchantly and Chanyeol couldn’t help but laugh

“you know, I still don’t really know you. You’re practically a stranger to me and all I know is your name.” Baekhyun wrote after they had blissfully finished the delicious hot chocolate and muffins.

“well, you know I have a tall and good looking sister don’t you.”

“well there is that too. But I mean things like how old are you, whats your favourite color and, your relationship status….”

“hmmm relationship status huh?” Chanyeol raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“what, can’t a friend know another friend’s relationship status?” “of course, I didn’t say there was anything wrong with that did i?”

 Baekhyun stuck his hands into his pockets as he stood up away from Chanyeol.  Chanyeol reached out towards him and pulled the shorter one back to his side by his wrist. “I’m park Chanyeol, 20 years old, my favourite color is blue, and im single. But somehow, a certain shortie seems to be occupying my mind for the past few days. It’s your turn now.” Chanyeol nudged Baekhyun playfully.

“ byun Baekhyun, 21 years old, my favourite color is white and unlike you, my mind has been occupied with  giant.”

“Well, is that giant handsome?”

“I don’t know. I mean, his eyes are really big, his hands are really big and his ears are really big too you know. Everything is just big.” Baekhyun demonstrated with his hands, gesticulating widely. Chanyeol immediately covered his ears with his hands. “don’t look at my ears then!”

“But they are kinda cute.” Baekhyun smiled again and Chanyeol nearly melted into a puddle of goo.

Day by day, Chanyeol and Baekhyun got to know each other better. Albeit, it was a tad difficult as it seemed like they only had one sided conversations as Baekhyun could only write his replies on his notepad, but slowly and steadily, they became closer. They didn’t need many words to communicate anymore; they instinctively knew what the other was going to say.

But one day, Baekhyun suddenly disappeared. No notice, no note, no warning. He just vanished into thin air. At first, Chanyeol was extremely worried, why would Baekhyun just disappear like that, maybe he had a family emergency and had to leave suddenly. But after two days, Chanyeol started to lose hope. Maybe Baekhyun had found someone that he loved and decided to go off with that person. Maybe Baekhyun didn’t want to be his friend anymore.

It was only after Baekhyun disappeared did Chanyeol realize how much he loved the boy. Even though they lived separately, Baekhyun was over at Chanyeol’s house for so long that it seemed like he live there. But now that he disappeared, Chanyeol’s house felt empty again. Chanyeol became like a zombie now that the sunshine of his life had disappeared. He locked himself up in his house and refused to go out.

But on the 14th day, his door unlocked. Chanyeol stared at the door in surprise, because no one but a certain shortie had the key to his house. Chanyeol had been huddled on the sofa, drowning his sorrows with a tub of ice cream and watching random shows on Disney channel. Like a ninja, he switched off the tv, left the tub of ice cream on the sofa and fled into his room in a matter of seconds, burying himself under the blankets.

“Hey.”  He heard someone say, but Chanyeol had never heard the voice before. “omg, what if that person is going to kill me the rob my house.” Chanyeol panicked. He threw off his blanket and shouted, “just kill me now! I don’t want to live anyway.” He spread his arms wide and closed his eyes, waiting.

 

 

 

 

Waiting....

 

“Why don’t you just kill me already.” Chanyeol sighed exasperatedly as he finally opened his eyes, and got a shock of his life. There standing right in front of him was byun Baekhyun.

“baekkie?”

“hi yeollie.”

Chanyeol was confused. Why was Baekhyun here. Wasn’t he supposed to have disappeared? And wait a moment, did Baekhyun just talk. Chanyeol’s jaw dropped.

“Hey, you there?” Baekhyun walked towards Chanyeol, waving his hands in front of Chanyeol.

Too overwhelmed, Chanyeol was at a loss of words. Instead, he chose to envelop Baekhyun in the tightest hug. The shorter one just stood there, reveling in the warmth of the older one as he patted chanyeol’s back. It was then, Chanyeol started crying. “I thought you disappeared. I thought you didn’t want me anymore. I thought you found someone else you loved. Why are you here now? Why do you have a voice now?” he cried out in anguish.

Baekhyun pulled away from Chanyeol, pushing the taller one onto the bed. “let me explain.” Chanyeol nodded his head silently as he took in baekhyun’s appearance. Baekhyun looked exactly the same as he had looked the day before he disappeared. But the same couldn’t be said for Chanyeol. “aigoo, what happened to you.” Baekhyun chided. “I merely left you for two weeks.”

“A very long two weeks.” Chanyeol mumbled.

“You see, a week before I left, I got a call from my doctor. He said that I could recover my voice if I underwent an operation for my vocal chords. But the operation can only be performed in America. I didn’t want to go alone, but I was afraid that if the operation wasn’t successful, everyone would be disappointed again. so I decided to go alone, and the operation was a success. So I’m back.” He smiled widely.

But Chanyeol could see that behind the smile, Baekhyun had suffered too. The anxiety and paranoia Baekhyun must have felt going for the operation alone in a foreign country. He reached out to take baekhyun’s hand in his and pulled Baekhyun towards him and onto his lap.

 “I missed you so much. I wish you hadn’t had to go through that alone. Im such a terrible friend. Do you know how upset I was when you disappeared?”

 “I can see that.” Baekhyun chuckled.

 “I’m just so glad that you’re really back. When you were gone, I finally relaised how much I love you.” Chanyeol confessed.

“Well, I love you too but let’s get you cleaned up first.” The shorter one said as he tried to drag the other into the toilet.

“Baekhyun, I really mean it. I really love you, not as a friend, but as a man.” Chanyeol said seriously, he wanted Baekhyun to know his feelings even though there was a chance the shorter boy might not feel the same way.

“I know yeollie. I really do love you too.” Baekhyun smile gently. “I’ve loved you ever since the day you helped me take that book down the shelf and I’ve been waiting for you to say you love me back too.” And Chanyeol finally realized how grateful he was at himself for making the decision to help the cute boy that was struggling to reach a book on the top shelf in the library.

“so does that mean I can kiss you now.” Chanyeol said cheekily.

“nope.” Baekhyun pushed chanyeol’s face away from him. “not until you have cleaned up then you can kiss me as many times as you want.” And Chanyeol dashed towards the toilet to clean himself up.

Baekhyun kept his promise and allowed Chanyeol to kiss him as many times as the giant liked, for eternity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

omg i finally finish writing this whew. i had to change the storyline quite a few times because i wasnt satisfied with the way it was going. even this, i'm not really happy too cos it kinda seemed abit rushed to me, as in the relationship and all that OTL. but i hope it was okay for you to read LOL please comment and tell me how i can improve my writing skills~ and thanks for waiting for me to upload. i always take such a long time to uploas my stories, i'm so terribly sorry. but thank you to whoever reads this story too! :D