Chapter 8: Thorny Vines

Intricate Lines From A Broken Hymn

Chapter 8: Thorny Vines

 


Soojung cannot concentrate on the attacks being thrown by the instructor. She can already feel a huge bruise forming on her left arm, the one which seems to be her instructor’s favorite target today. Soojung moves in, keeping her head low and quickly aiming a punch directly at the instructor’s face, it hits the instructor’s cheek and Soojung smiles to herself, but her victory is short because the instructor quickly counters by turning and hitting Soojung’s windpipe with a knifehand, knocking the air out of Soojung and making her take a step backward. The instructor follows her by planting a strong punch in her stomach. The pain makes Soojung bend forward but she is only given a second to breathe before the instructor attacks her again by hitting the back of Soojung’s head with a palm.

 

Soojung falls down to the ground panting, feeling very close to fainting. The spotless floor gives her a full view of how messy she looks, and the bruises on her face. Soojung pushes herself off the floor only to fall down again a moment later because of a kick to her side. The instructor tries to land a kick on her again but Soojung sees this so she rolls to the side before moving up into a crouch and blocking her instructor’s next kick with her arms. Soojung catches the instructor’s leg with her hands and pulls it, making the instructor lose her balance. Soojung takes this opportunity to stand up and using whatever’s left of her energy to throw a kick towards the instructor’s face. But the instructor only flicks this off with her arm, and with a menacing smile, the older woman stands up and attacks Soojung.

 

The sparring ends with a coughing and wheezing Soojung crouched down on the floor. She hears footsteps so she turns her head to the side. White studded boots greet her, and she already knows that these are her instructor’s feet. Her body has been quite acquainted with those boots earlier.

 

“You’re getting better,” The instructor says. “You successfully landed a hit on me today.”

 

“Compared to all the ones I got from you…” Soojung groans. “There’s no competition.”

 

“I never said there was a competition.” The instructor scoffs. “I was merely praising you.”

 

“Well, thanks.” Soojung mutters before deciding that she doesn’t feel like throwing up on the white pristine floor anymore, and pushes herself off the floor.

 

She looks up at the older woman and sure enough there is a small bruise forming on one of her cheeks. This makes Soojung smile.

 

The instructor puts down a bottle of water next to Soojung’s knee.

 

“You were quite distracted earlier.” She says, intrigued. “And you have a scheduled meeting with the doctor later. Will you be fine?”

 

Soojung sighs, thinking about Kahi and Sehun.

 

“Maybe.”

 


 

The air in the room is cold and heavy. Not literally, but in a way that makes Soojung fidget ever minute, eyes glancing towards the boy hunched over a book on the other side of the room. Sehun hasn’t said a word to her ever since the moment she arrived, but Soojung can see his eyes moving away from the book to where Soojung is seated. Sometimes when they have contact, Sehun would even glare at her.

 

“So childish.” Soojung mutters to herself.

 

Kahi then enters the room. She quickly situates herself in the middle of the room where two huge figures covered in white cloth stands. Kahi pulls them off one by one, revealing two machines that are quite familiar with Soojung.

 

“I’ve seen those before.” Soojung says, standing up and walking towards the machines so she can see them up close.

 

“Of course you have.” Kahi confirms. “Hannan used a similar machine for the Transition Ceremony.

 

Soojung inspects the machines. They are two metal chairs with leather seats, each of its arms have straps and a long line of syringes ready to pop out to inject whoever’s arm will be placed on top of them with whatever chemical they are filled with.

 

“They look scarier than how I remember them to be.” Soojung comments. “They only injected us with one syringe before.”

 

“And that is where Hannan went wrong.” Kahi says. “They used a still unfinished prototype. That wasn’t enough to protect your mind from the effects of the machine.”

 

“Are you saying you completed the project?” Sehun speaks for the first time.

 

“It was mine to begin with.” Kahi shrugs. “Some incompetent idiots decided to take over while I was gone, but they didn’t have enough of the original plan to help them so they made their own version.”

 

Kahi presses something on her computer and the two machines boots into life.

 

”The original plan was for this machine to help humans strengthen their mind’s defense.” Kahi gives the two of them a meaningful look. “It was made for the two of you.”

 

“And how will it help us strengthen our mind?” Soojung asks. “By putting us into hallucinations?”

 

“In a way.” Kahi answers. “I’ve explained to the two of you yesterday how the codes inside you heads are being defended by a password, right?”

 

Soojung and Sehun both nod silently at this.

 

“This time we will be creating a second level of defense for it.” Kahi continues. “Another set of barrier created by opening a small part of your mind and making it attack whoever it is that opened the code in the wrong way.”

 

“I’m confused.” Soojung admits and Kahi smiles fondly at her.

 

“Basically, this part of your mind will take over your whole body and physically attack the enemy.” Kahi says, simply.

 

“Attack the enemy.” Soojung deadpans.

 

“The physical trainings you’re receiving are for preparation for this.” Kahi says. “Don’t worry, we know what we are doing.”

 

“You’re going to turn us into mindless soldiers.” Sehun says, voice curt. “That was the plan?”

 

“It is for your protection.” Kahi says, softly but definite.

 

“Not  us,” Sehun scoffs, while Soojung shakes her head in mild disbelief. “It’s for the protection of the codes.”

 

“Sehun, please.” Kahi pleads.

 

Sehun turns his head, pointedly ignoring his mother. Soojung sighs before sitting on one of the metal chairs.

 

“Let’s just get this over with.” Soojung says. “Sit down Sehun.”

 

“They’re not even giving us a choice!” Sehun exclaims, clearly agitated.

 

Soojung rolls her eyes. “That’s because they don’t have a choice too.”

 

“I don’t want to do this.” Sehun murmurs.

 

“I don’t want to do this either, Sehun.” Soojung says, exasperated. “But if we don’t then we won’t have anything to protect ourselves when Hannan decides that they want whatever’s inside our heads.”

 

Sehun glares at Soojung for a moment, carefully thinking about her words. Mulling over the pros and cons, like the Kaptan native that he is. With a defeated sigh, Sehun plops himself on the second chair.

 

“Has this been tested before?” Sehun grumbles.

 

“No.” Kahi breathes out, before quickly following up her words. “But don’t worry, it’s safe.”

 

She mouths a silent ‘thank you’ towards Soojung who only gives her a tight smile. Kahi begins to start the procedure by strapping each of their arms on the chairs. She carefully attaches a couple of colorful wires on their temples and on their chests, before going back to her computer and pressing a few keys.

 

“This will be ready in a few seconds.” Kahi says. She hands them visors similar to the ones they used in Hannan. “Wear these.”

 

Soojung looks at Sehun, watching if the boy would do as the doctor says. Sehun frowns at her, but obliges without a word. Soojung does the same, exhaling as she rests her head on the headrest of the chair. The temporary blindness is just as disconcerting as the first time Soojung experienced it. Soojung feels a light tap on her arm before hearing Kahi’s voice.

 

“Good luck.”

 

That is the only warning given to her before he procedure starts. Soojung lets out a short scream of pain when she feels needles pricking her skin all at the same time, at the back of her mind she’s sure she is hearing Sehun doing the same thing. Then there’s the feeling of the chemicals entering her veins, slowly and painfully travelling through her body.The fluid feels like molten lava slowly burning Soojung’s insides. She couldn’t even move anymore, the only thing she can do is scream for it to stop.

 

It seems like forever until the pain subsides, and by then Soojung’s throat is raw from screaming. She tries to move again but it is fruitless. It is like she is floating in an endless space. For a while there is nothing, until Soojung suddenly feels like she is standing up. Her sight fogs up, before slowly clearing and revealing her the inside of a greenhouse. Soojung whirls around to look at her surroundings. The plants are withered and the pathway messy, but Soojung can attest that this is her mother’s greenhouse, only, she isn’t supposed to be in Sinukwan right now.

 

“How did I get here?” Soojung murmurs to herself.

 

She notices a woman crouched down in the corner, there’s a tree blocking the sun from where she is, so the woman is deep in the shadows. She’s carefully snipping dead leaves from one bush, while humming a sad tune. Soojung slowly approaches her, careful not to step on any of the plants, even though most of them are already dead.

 

“Mom?” Soojung calls out. “Is that you?”

 

“What do you want Soojung?” The woman rasps.

 

Soojung frowns.  “What happened here? Why are the plants withered?”

 

The woman chuckles airily. “Don’t worry about them. They’ll come back again.”

 

“Right.” Soojung says, moving to stand behind the woman. “Mom, I found dad and Sooyeon.”

 

The woman freezes. “And?”

 

“They’re in Kaptan, mom.” Soojung says, excitedly. “They’re safe. You can come with me and I’ll take you to them.”

 

The woman quickly puts down her shears before standing up briskly. She stomps across the room, walking over leaves and twigs.

 

“Mom?” Sooung says.

 

“Don’t call me that!” The woman shrieks.

 

Soojung jumps at the sound. This is the only time Soojung hears her speak that loud.

 

“I’m sorry.” Soojung murmurs. “I know I’m not really your daughter but--”

 

The woman turns around to face Soojung. This time Soojung takes her time to see what the woman really looks like. The woman’s hair is wrapped around in a messy bun are blonde and not the deep brown that Soojung is used to. The lines of the woman’s eyes are lined with thick kohl and red as the petals of a rose. The woman gives her a menacing smile and Soojung had to step back when she realizes who it is.

 

“Doctor Jinah.” Soojung gasps. She feels something wrapping around her ankles, and she looks down to find vines twisting themselves up her legs, preventing her from moving away.

 

“You just revealed vital information for us, Soojung.” Jinah says as she walks back to where Soojung stands. “Thank you, dear.”

 

“No.” Soojung’s face darkens. “This can’t be happening.”

 

The vines continue to cover Soojung’s body, the thorns making scratches across her skin and drawing blood. Soojung groans in pain when she falls to her side, and the thorns reach her face.

 

“This will be your end Soojung.” Jinah says, laughing. “Buried beneath the soil of your beloved region.”

 

Soojung cries for help, calling out names of people who work for their family’s vineyard, wishing that one of them would hear her pleas and help her. But none of them come, Soojung’s cries turns into panicked sobs.

 

“Help me, help, please, help me, please…” Soojung chants.

 

Not far away she can hear Jinah’s continued laughter, then there’s the smell of smoke, as fire slowly make its way to where Soojung lies.

 

“No.. no please…”

 

The fire reaches Soojung’s feet, and it doesn’t take long before it engulfs her whole body. Soojung screams as she feels her skin melt under the heat. There is so much pain, and Soojung wishes so hard for it to just disappear. She even wishes to die, if that’s what has to happen for the pain to stop. She screams again and again, asking for death. Beseeching whoever it is listening to end her suffering.

 

Soojung screams one last time, and then there’s nothing.

 


 

Soojung wakes up to a quiet room. Her whole body is hurting and she is too tired to figure out if this is another one of Kahi’s hallucinations again. She hears movement to the side, so she turns her head to see. Sehun is sitting on the bed next to hers, his head resting on top of his folded knees. She wonders what kind of hallucinations Sehun saw, did his include another one of the Hannan administrators? Kyuhyun maybe? or Kangin?

 

There’s a glass of water and two pills on the table. Soojung moves to sit up before grabbing the pills and swallowing them quickly, then gulping down the water.

 

“You’re up?” Sehun asks.

 

“Obviously.” Soojung says, her voice is scratchy and it hurts to speak.

 

They stay quiet after that, opting to seclude themselves in their own thoughts. The door to the infirmary opens, and Soojung watches with a relieved sigh as Sooyeon quickly steps in. The older woman almost runs to where Soojung is. Sooyeon wraps Soojung in her arm before gently patting her head.

 

“Are you alright?” Sooyeon asks.

 

“I don’t know.” Soojung answers. And it was the truth.

 

 


 

The table rattles loudly when Sooyeon slams her hand on it, making Soojung jump on her seat. Yunho stares at her with mild interest.

 

“All these trainings you’re making them do are dangerous!” Sooyeon shouts. “Have you seen all the bruises Soojung has? Do you even bother checking up on the tests that doctor is doing on them?”

 

“I have important things to do Sooyeon.” Yunho says. “We’re at war.”

 

“The only reason war is going to happen is because of your stupid ideals!” Sooyeon retorts. “You’re putting the lives of innocent people at risk! All for your selfish reasons!”

 

“My reasons aren’t selfish.” Yunho says slowly. “I am doing this so we can finally be freed from the claws of Hannan. Why can’t you understand that?”

 

“And you’re willing to sacrifice people for that?” Sooyeon asks.

 

“Yes, if that is the only way.” Yunho answers.

 

“Even the life of your daughter?” Sooyeon asks again, finger pointing towards where Soojung is seated.

 

Yunho meets Soojung’s eyes, and the young girl could see how definite Yunho’s decision is with regards to this, it is his life’s mission.

 

“I will not let Soojung die.” Yunho says softly.

 

“Because I am important in your success in this war, am I right?” Soojung speaks up. She watches as Yunho’s mouth opens, struggling to find words. She waves him off before standing up. “I don’t want to talk about this today. I was physically beaten up by an instructor and mentally tortured by Kahi today. I think I deserve some rest.”

 

“Soojung--” Sooyeon starts.

 

“Don’t.” Soojung sighs. “I’m tired Sooyeon.”

 

Soojung leaves the room quietly and slowly makes her way towards the library. She finds a corner farthest from the busy part of the room, and sits herself down in between two old shelves. The smell of paper and the rustle of every page being turned send a calming feeling to her. She needs to think about this more clearly. Soojung is very much willing to fight for this war. She understands that Yunho and Kahi mean well, but their way is just too inhumane for her, plus Soojung doesn’t know if she’’ll be willing to be put through those hallucinations again. She knows that she needs them, but the feeling of being burned alive has been carved deep into her memory.

 

The voice of the librarian floats to where Soojung is sitting, announcing that the library will be closing down in a few minutes. Soojung offers the librarian a small smile when she passes by her on her way out of the room.

 

Sooyeon’s house is empty when Soojung arrives. The older woman must still be back in Yunho’s office, arguing with the man. Soojung hopes Sooyeon’s husband will pick her up from there soon, it is bad for a pregnany woman to be that angry after all.

 

Soojung reaches her room, takes off her shirt then her pants one by one before climbing on her bed and burying herself under the sheets.

 

For tonight she will rest.

 

 


 

Soojung tries to stay quiet as Sooyeon dabs medicine onto the small cuts on her hands. The older woman is doing her best in being gentle but the sting of the ointment is very painful and Soojung couldn’t help but wince or release a pained hiss every time it touches her skin.

 

“Sorry,” Sooyeon says for probably the hundredth time that day. They’re seated at the end of a line of a handful of sleeping toddlers, all of which are part of Sooyeon’s little daycare job.

 

“”It’s not your fault Sooyeon.” Soojung chastises in a quiet voice. “You have to stop apologizing for things you can’t control.”

 

“I’ll make dad stop all of this.” Sooyeon mutters.”Just wait. I know I can convince him.”

 

“And if he did cancel all of this, what will become of him?” Soojung asks. “Do you think he could just walk in back to Sinukwan without people asking questions? Do you think Hannan doesn’t know his connection with this thing?”

 

“But what about you?” Sooyeon murmurs, eyes watering with tears. She starts putting her tools back inside the medicine box.

 

“And what about me? I’ll be fine Sooyeon. You have nothing to worry about.” Soojung smiles. “Besides, I know more than how to punch someone now. Which reminds me...” Soojung’s smile turns teasing. “Wasn’t it you who taught me how to do that?”

 

“You were getting bullied.” Sooyeon reasons. “And I didn’t know if I would be coming back after the ceremony. You needed to protect yourself while I was gone.”

 

“I know.” Soojung whispers. “You can’t protect me all the time so I have to learn how to protect myself, right?”

 

“Yes.” Sooyeon sighs. “But I’m here now and that means it’s my job again to protect you.”

 

“No it’s not.” Soojung shakes her head before placing a gentle hand on top of Sooyeon’s growing belly. “Your job is to protect this child. And the only way you can do that is by staying as far away from the middle of this war as possible.”

 

“But that means I have to stay away from you too.” Sooyeon mutters, taking hold of Soojung’s hand in between both of hers.

 

“In the future, yes.” Soojung says. “I have a feeling things are going to be quite complicated soon. I need you and my future niece or nephew to be safe.”

 

There is silence then, both sides not knowing what to say next. The rustling of sheets catches their attention, a few of the children are slowly waking up. One of them, a little girl with cute button nose and has forming into an ‘o’ as she yawns. Her eyes blink slowly, before focusing on the two older women.

 

“Hi.”

 


 

They make the children fall into a line of twos, telling each of them to find a partner. The children all start running towards their friends, some of them even hugging, as if their chosen partner could be taken away from them. Soojung smiles at the cuteness of it all.

 

“Soojung.” Sooyeon sighs. “Can I ask a favor.”

 

Soojung turns to find her sister holding the hand of one small boy.

 

“What is it?”

 

“He said he couldn’t find a partner.” Sooyeon says. The child makes a grumbling sound. “Can you look after him for me?”

 

“Uh.” Soojung says.

 

“Just until we get to the cafeteria.” Sooyeon grins. “And maybe on the way back too.”

 

Soojung takes the hand of the boy, who grumpily obliges. “Sure. I guess.”

 

Soojung gets dragged to the end of the line, while Sooyeon moves to lead them. They start walking slowly, the minutes passing by quickly with the sounds of the children chatting or singing a folk song from their own region.

 

A tug on her hand has Soojung looking down towards the boy beside her.

 

“What?”

 

“Can I not hold your hand?” The little boy asks.

 

“Why?” Soojung asks back, a little dumbfounded by the question.

 

“‘Cause you’re too tall.” The boy answers.

 

“Oh, okay I guess.” Soojung mutters, letting go of the child’s hand. “Just stay in the line, alright?”

 

“Okay.” The cheeky smile that the boy has on her face worries Soojung a lot.

 

And sure enough, not even a moment later does the child starts running away from the group. Soojung freezes as she watches him go farther away.

 

“Soojung!” Sooyeon shouts, snapping Soojung back to her senses. “Catch him!”

 

Soojung bolts after the boy, following the sound of his giddy laughter. They pass through a couple of hallways before Soojung completely loses sight of him and ultimately gives up running, hands braced on her knees as she catches her breath. Soojung looks around, trying to figure out where she is. There are no signs on the wall, and the hallways are empty so Soojung starts knocking on the doors one by one.

 

On the third door, Soojung could see lights through the small glass design on the door. She knocks on it and starts waiting for a response, pressing her ear on the door to listen to what’s going on inside.

 

“That’s odd.” Soojung murmurs. “I can’t hear anything.”

 

Soojung knocks again, but still fails to get a response. With a grunt, Soojung puts her hand on the knob, she tests it for a bit, finding that it is unlocked, before turning it and opening a gap that is wide enough for her to see what’s inside the room.

 

The room inside is wide, much wider than the practice rooms that they use. There are a ten papers hanged on the opposite side of the room, each has a drawing of what looks to be a silhouette of the head and torso of a man.

 

A couple of steps away from the door where Soojung is hiding,a man is standing with his back towards Soojung. He is standing behind a blue line, and is fiddling with something in his hands. Soojung can’t see what is, and she is too embarrassed to disturb whatever it is the man is doing.

 

The man suddenly moves, lifting both of his arms in a straight line in front of hi body. Soojung still cannot see what he’s holding so she opens the door wider, and puts a foot inside the room, opting to sit down on the floor and wait for the man to finish so she can finally ask for directions and go back to her sister.

 

Soojung is just about to take another step inside the room when the sound of a loud explosion rips through her ears. It was like listening to the sound of lighting up close, deafening and painful. For a moment it is like she is back again to the night of their escape from Hannan, and Soojung has to remind herself again and again that she is safe and no one is here to hurt her.

 

The sound echoes through the enclosed space in the room for a minute and Soojung doesn’t even notice when her own hands went up to press against her ears. The next sound that Soojung hears is the one made by the banging of the door as it closes because Soojung isn’t holding it anymore.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Soojung looks up to find the man now facing her. She hasn’t seen this face for a while but Soojung would definitely recognize it anywhere, specially that disgruntled frown. He puts his gun down on a small table before pulling something out of his ears.

 

“Jongin.” Soojung says, looking around and realizing that the place is actually an indoor shooting range. “It’s been a while.”

 

“I’ve been busy.” Jongin shrugs before pointedly looking at the bruises on Soojung’s face. “What happened to you?”

 

Soojung touches the side of her face, feeling the tender skin of her still healing wounds. “Physical training.” She says simply.

 

“They’re giving you physical training?” Jongin asks, moving forward towards Soojung so he can inspect her face closely.

 

“Me and Sehun actually.” Soojung answers, wincing when Jongin takes hold of her face and turns it here and there for inspection. “We need it.”

 

“Need it?” Jongin scoffs and lets his hands fall down to his sides. “Why? It’s not like you and pale-face are going to be used in the front lines when the war starts, right?”

 

“They didn’t tell you?” Soojung asks. “And stop calling Sehun that, he’s my friend.”

 

“Tell me what?” Jongin frowns. “That you and Sehun are related to the leaders of this group?”

 

Soojung makes a disdainful noise. “That and a few more important things.”

 

“What things?” Jongin asks, his tone curious.

 

“It’s a long story to explain.” Soojung sighs.”And I have to get back to my sister soon. I got lost while chasing after one of the children she’s looking after.”

 

“That does sound like something you would do.” Jongin laughs.

 

“Shut up.” Soojung murmurs. Laughing made Jongin’s face look softer, his expression a great contrast to how he usually looked when speaking with people, it made him younger and handsome. Soojung tries to hide the blush on her face by looking down and playing with her hair.

 

“I’ll help you find the kid.” Jongin offers, a smile playing on his lips.

 

“Thanks.” Soojung says.

 

Jongin tucks one hand inside his pockets while the other reaches for the door. “Let’s go then.”

 


 

Test1 Result For Subject #120494 = FAIL

Test1 Result For Subject #241094 = FAIL

Cortisol Levels For Both Subjects = HIGH

Move To Test2?

 


 

A/N: It's been a while!! I'm sorry for being away for so long. Life and school is taking so much of my time >.< But don't worry I'm not abandoning this fic!! Anyway, I hope all of you have a great holidays!! And to the new subscribers, welcome ~~~ I hope you enjoy this story and this chapter!