Chapter 4: The Past Is Catching Up

Intricate Lines From A Broken Hymn

Chapter 4: The Past Is Catching Up

 


 

Soojung's mind turns into blank as she looks at the young man in front of her. There is sweat running down Sehun's face, a bruise forming under his eyes, and he is holding a sleek black gun in his right hand.

"Hello Soojung." Sehun says in a soft voice.

"Why..." Soojung balks, finding it hard to summon her words.

"Did it work?" Junmyeon suddenly says, taking Sehun's attention away from her.

"Yeah." Sehun turns to Junmyeon. "I managed to distract them so they're all on the other side of the building. I also shut down all the security cameras so they wouldn’t find us so easily."

"Let's go." Jongin says. He places a hand on Soojung's back, gently pushing her outside of the elevator. "We have no time to waste. They've sound the alarm so we're not safe yet."

"Jongin's right." Junmyeon agrees.

Junmyeon starts walking ahead, the other three following him closely behind. Soojung looks around the place. The halls are all quiet, not a single person around. Bullet holes decorate the walls, some of the windows are broken, and most of the rooms they pass look thrashed. She fears whatever it is that happened here.

"Why are you all doing this?" Soojung's voice breaks at the last word. On her side, Jongin releases a deep sigh.

"Soon you will understand." Sehun tells her. "Or at least I hope you will."

"She will." Jongin looks directly at Soojung as he speaks, as if daring her to refuse. "She must."

Sehun slows his footsteps until he is walking just beside Soojung. He wipes a thumb on the corner of Soojung's eye, noticing a small tear. Soojung flinches from his touch.

“Please don't be afraid." Sehun whispers. "Nothing bad will happen to you. I promise."

Soojung says nothing, eyes looking forward, and arms wrapped tightly around herself. The corners of Sehun's lips curve down into a frown and he starts to walk away from Soojung with a defeated slouch on his posture.

The four of them are all silent for the rest of the walk until Junmyeon checks one hallway, mutter's a quiet "", and ushers all of them back. But it was too late.

Junmyeon?" Doctor Jinah appears in front of them, blonde hair flowing like silky waves across her shoulders. She eyes the three younger people behind Junmyeon before turning to the older man with a scrutinizing look. One of her hand lifts up to reveal a gun.

"The administrators were all instructed to bring the participants into the main hall. What are you doing all the way here?"

"I found them in the healing rooms. I was just about to lead them to the hall." Junmyeon lies easily. He aims a disarming smile at the younger woman. "What about you Jinah? Why are you here pointing a gun at me?"

The younger woman smirks and her head tilts to the side. "Just a precaution. I have been told there was a spy."

"A spy?" The confusion in Junmyeon's voice seems believable even in Soojung's ears.

"Yes." Jinah smiles widely, and then lifts the gun higher so it is pointing directly at Junmyeon's face. "A traitor has been found."

Two shots are suddenly fired, and a body falls down on the floor. Soojung lets out a shrilly scream as she watches the young female administrator press a bloody hand to her wounded leg. Doctor Jinah looks up at Sehun, her beautiful face now twisted by anger.

"You will pay for this!" Jinah shouts.

She tries to grab the gun that fell out of her hand when she fell, but Jongin quickly kicks it to the side. She releases another set of loud curses before pulling out a small device from the pocket of her coat and pressing a button on it.

Junmyeon gasps. "We have to run!"

Jongin grabs Soojung’s hand before sprinting after Jumyeon and Sehun. They run towards a door that isn’t familiar to Soojung. Junmyeon presses his hand against the device installed on the wall beside the door, it scans his palm briefly, and then the lock of the door clicks. Junmyeon turns the knob before pushing the door open and revealing an empty lot.

It is hard to see under the starless night sky, and Soojung struggles to look around the lot, wondering where the older man is planning to take them next. Suddenly, they hear heavy footsteps not far behind them. Sehun puts his hand inside one of his pockets before pulling something out and presenting it to Junmyeon who grins at the sight of the small key on the younger man’s open palm.

“When did you get that?” Jongin inquires. Soojung tries to yank her hand out of Jongin’s grasp but the boy only tightens his hold.

“Your brother gave it to me at the start of the Ceremony.” Sehun responds.

Soojung opens to ask who they are talking about when the footsteps behind them become louder making the three men turn back towards the inside of the building. Soojung looks at Junmyeon, examining the calculating look on his face.

They have admitted to her that they are rebels. They sabotaged the Ceremony and fired a gun at one of the administrators. Now, they are kidnapping her for some unknown reason. Their actions don’t make sense to Soojung.

Soojung’s heartbeat thunders against her chest as she thinks about what she is about to do. Her hands curl into a fist, and she opens to in a deep breath. She closes her eyes and screams.

“They’re here!”

Jongin quickly covers with his hand, while Sehun and Junmyeon stare at her with wide and surprised eyes.

“You are so stupid!” Jongin fumes.

Junmyeon shakes his head, as if to erase the shock in his system. “Jongin take Soojung.”

Jongin keeps his hand on Soojung’s mouth while his other hand holds one of her arm. Soojung struggles in his hold, but as expected, the boy is strong.  Junmyeon closes the door behind them, he opens small box down on the wall and then cuts off all the electrical wires inside it using a small knife.

They start walking again, quick steps towards one side of the lot. Soojung notices a black car parked there and realizes that the lot isn’t empty like she first thought. Junmyeon brings out the small key Sehun gave to him earlier, and uses it to open the car’s doors. Jongin opens the door to the backseat and pushes Soojung in, before climbing in after to sit beside her. Sehun sits on her other side, the look on his face noticeably disappointed.

Junmyeon starts the engine and the car roars into life. He steps on the gas, making the car dash out of the lot just in time as the administrator Yongwoon and a handful of security personnel manage to open the door of the building. They stand in the middle of the empty lot, watching the black car race farther away from the Dome.

 


 

The air inside the car is thick with negative emotions. No one is talking and Soojung knows that the two boys beside her are both struggling to stop themselves from shouting at her. Soojung crosses her arms in front of her chest and sticks her chin out, refusing to be treated like a person who did wrong. Junmyeon sighs at them.

 “Stop acting like little children.” He chastises.

“We almost got caught because of her!” Jongin blurts out, ears red with rage. Soojung snorts at him while Junmyeon winces at the volume of his voice.

“I cannot believe she did that.” Sehun lamented. He has his forehead pressed against the car’s window and his breath fogs the glass as he speaks.

Soojung frowns. “You are kidnapping me.” She says slowly. Each word uttered with obvious disdain.

Sehun rolls his eyes while Jongin covers his own face with both of his hands, gulping in a number of deep breaths to calm himself. He stills for a second before releasing a muffled scream, surprising the other passengers in the car.

“What the Jongin?!” Sehun’s eyes are wide, one of his hand pressing on top of his chest where his heart is.

“Sorry.” Jongin exhales. He folds his hands on top of his lap and stares straight ahead. “I’m okay now.”

“I haven’t done anything wrong.” Soojung says. “It was the three of you who interrupted the Ceremony and kidnapped me. This, I repeat, is something that I still don’t understand.”

“If you truly are rebels,” She continues. “Then shouldn’t you be kidnaping someone more important?”

Sehun turns to her, as if to answer her question, but Junmyeon throws a side glance at him from the rear-view mirror, making the younger man close his mouth abruptly. Soojung makes a frustrated noise.

“When are you going to answer my questions?” Soojung exclaims.

“Soon Soojung.” Junmyeon answers, voice clipped.

“Soon? Is that the only answer the three of you can give?” Soojung says.

“I understand that you’re confused and scared,” Junmyeon sympathizes. “But please Soojung, just wait.”

Soojung’s lip quivers and her eye blur because of the upcoming tears, she quickly wipes her eyes using the back of her hand. Jongin turns to her, a glint of sadness in his eyes, his hand itches to wipe the tears in her eyes but he fears Soojung will also recoil from his touch, so instead he focuses his vision on the road ahead and watches as they near the walls.

Junmyeon doesn’t drive towards the opening of the gates but towards the left most part of it which is nearest to Hannan’s transmission tower. He parks the car on a dark spot and he scans his eyes around the area, searching for something. Soojung sniffs, and then wipes the remaining tears pooling in her eyes before doing the same. She watches the beacon on top of the wall, the shadows dancing on the ground as the light hits the different structures in the place.

Sehun suddenly shifts on his seat and points a finger outside. “Is that him?”

Soojung curiously looks at where he is pointing at, looking for signs of anything worth finding. “What should I be looking for?” She asks.

“My stupid brother.” Jongin mutters before opening the car door. “I’ll bring him here.”

Jongin climbs out of the car and walks towards the side of the tower. He disappears from their sight once he reaches it, Soojung squints her eyes trying very hard to look for the boy.

“Where did he go?” She asks no one in particular.

“He’ll be back soon.” Sehun assures her. He looks at Soojung, a grin slowly forming on his mouth. “Are you worried about Jongin?”

“What?” Soojung scoffs. “Are you crazy?”

The car door unexpectedly opens, startling Soojung and Sehun. Jongin appears beside them, a confused look on his face. “What?”

“Nothing.” Soojung says quickly. She elbows Sehun when the boy starts giggling. “It was nothing.”

“Now that that’s sorted, can we go back to some serious stuff?” A voice says.

Soojung finds that the once empty passenger seat beside Junmyeon is now occupied. The man fishes out three metal bracelets from the inside of his coat, waves them for a bit before smiling at Soojung.

“Changmin.” Soojung breathes out.

The older man chuckles at Soojung, much like how he did on the first day of the Ceremony where Soojung first saw him. “Hello Soojung.”

“You’re Jongin’s brother?” Soojung asks to which Changmin nods the same time Jongin mutters ‘unfortunately’. Soojung’s jaw drops. “You’re a rebel too?”

“You can say that.” Changmin answers. “But unlike Junmyeon, I haven’t revealed myself to the government yet.”

“Jinah was a miscalculation in my plan.” Jumyeon frowns.

“Yeah.” Changmin agrees. “She was a pain in the . Started screaming about revenge when we found her.” He turns to Sehun with a pointed look. “Watch your back kid.”

Sehun gulps. “She was going to shoot Junmyeon. I had to do something.”

“Ah right, I still haven’t thanked you for that.” Junmyeon smiles at the younger man. “Thank you for saving my life Sehun.”

“Anyway,” Changmin says. “We need to get rid of your old bracelets and change them into these.” He hands out the new metal bracelets one by one. Changmin teaches them how to unlatch the older one from their wrists and how to wear the new one.

Soojung examines hers closely before looking back at Changmin. “Why would we need new ones?” She asks.

“So that you will be able to pass through the walls of course.” Changmin answers. “The older ones have a tracking device too, so wearing them while going to the base will be bad.”

Soojung bites her lip, and tries to sneakily put her older bracelet inside her pocket. Jongin catches her, he grabs the bracelet out of her hold and throws it out of the car.

“Don’t even think about it.” Jongin says.

“I’m only doing what is right.” Soojung grumbles. “I’m pretty sure kidnapping is equal to being sentenced to imprisonment in a penitentiary in Apolaki. You should know that!”

“There are no penitentiaries in Apolaki.” Jongin says slowly.

“What?” Soojung searches his face for any signs of joking. “But they said-”

“He’s right, Soojung.” Sehun confirms.

“Major offenses are automatically sentenced to Deliverance.” Changmin states. “Do you know what that means?”

Soojung haven’t heard of the word before so she shakes her head. Changmin sighs as if the act of explaining it to Soojung gives him pain.

“Deliverance means that the person will be sentenced to death.” Changmin’s voice is weary. “The System doesn’t give second chances to major offenses. They will all be sent to Hannan where an injection is waiting for them.”

“But,” Soojung says, remembering the time someone from Sinukwan was taken by Apolaki police for imprisonment. The man was caught for not paying enough tax by the council who told the public that he will be taken to a penitentiary in Apolaki. His family cried so much that day, but the council assured them that he will be back once his debts are paid. But if there are no penitentiaries, then what happened to the man? Soojung shivers at the thought.

“They’re all killed?” Soojung asks grimly.

“Yes.” Changmin responds.

“In Sinukwan, people who refuse to work or attempt to leave are automatically sent to penitentiaries too.” Soojung thinks about her father. Was he given the same fate?

Soojung’s breaths start to come out in rapid successions. Her heart beats loud and quick, and it is starting to scare her. She suddenly finds it hard to breathe.

“Are you alright?” Junmyeon asks. “Soojung?”

“I can’t breathe.” Soojung chokes, hand wrapping itself around her neck, the other clutching at her chest.

“Open the windows.” Changmin orders. “Keep her calm.”

Sehun reaches for one of her hands and keeps it in between his. “You’re going to be okay Soojung.”

“Hey,” Jongin gently taps her cheek to get her to look at him. “Try breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth.”

“I can’t.” Soojung says. Her eyes are starting to water with fresh tears.

“Yes, you can.” Jongin retorts. “Just copy me.”

Jongin closes his mouth and inhales air through his nose. He keeps them in for a second before releasing the air through his mouth. He nods to Soojung, encouraging the girl to do the same. Soojung gulps in a small amount of air before exhaling quickly, she repeats the action again and again until she starts to feel calmness settle into her. Soojung makes an airy chuckle when she finds it easier to breathe again.

“There,” Jongin smiles. “Didn’t I tell you that you can do it?”

Soojung smiles back at him, thankful.

“You got us a little bit worried for a moment there Soojung.” Junmyeon says.

Sehun’s fingers are shaking as he laces them with Soojung’s own clammy ones. “Are you okay now?”

“Yeah,” Soojung breathes out. She closes her eyes and mumbles softly. “I was just thinking about someone I know.”

Changmin nods. “And you think he’s been Delivered?”

There’s a certain look in Changmin’s face that Soojung cannot explain. She nods at him, wordlessly affirming the older man’s question. Changmin then turns around, facing the front of the car again. Junmyeon looks at him as if waiting for an order. Changmin suddenly opens the car’s door and climbs out of the vehicle. He steps by the side, still holding the door. Soojung bites the bottom of her lip, wondering what the older man is planning to do.

“Get out of here,” Changmin says, he closes the door before tapping the glass on Sehun’s window. The older man smiles at Soojung. “Find your answers in Kaptan.”

Junmyeon turns the key in the ignition, revving the vehicle back into action. He speeds out towards the opening of the walls, leaving Changmin standing there, hiding behind the shadows. Soojung turns to search for him and finds the older man lifting one of his hands to wave at them before walking back and disappearing.

Soojung blinks slowly before settling back into her seat. She watches as they approach the walls, becoming closer and closer to the massive structure.

“Act normal.” Junmyeon’s voice is low. “Soojung I trust you to cooperate.”

“Fine.” Soojung says blandly.

 


 

Oddly enough, the security lets them pass through without questions. Soojung asks Junmyeon about this as they pass through the tunnel connecting Hannan to Kaptan. The older man starts to chuckle.

“I have connections.” Junmyeon says.

Soojung frowns at the meaning of the older man’s words. “Just how many rebels are there in Hannan?”

“I don’t know.” Junmyeon shrugs. “But I’m sure we have enough to help us pass through the walls.”

“Do you have accomplices in other regions too?” Soojung asks curiously.

“How else do you think they recruited me and pale face over here?” Jongin replies.

“Pale face?” Sehun snorts.

“Yeah,” Jongin turns to Sehun, a challenging look on his face. “Got a problem?”

“No.” Sehun laughs. “Of course not charcoal boy.”

Soojung rolls her eyes. She leans forward, nearer to Junmyeon’s headrest to speak with the older man. “So you recruit members from the different regions?”

Junmyeon nods. The sounds of the two boys quarrelling become a background noise to their conversation.

“Do all of them say yes?” Soojung asks. “What happens when they say no?”

“We do nothing to the people who say no.” The corners of Junmyeon’s lips tilt upwards. “They are all free to reject the offer.”

“Really?” The suspicion in Soojung’s voice is obvious and Junmyeon laughs at her.

“Yes Soojung.” Junmyeon replies.

They reach Kaptan soon enough, the lights from the region’s tall buildings illuminating their path. Everything in the region is cringingly white, from the pavements on the streets to the walls of their houses.

“Home.” Sehun sighs.

Soojung looks at him, observing the boy as he watches the houses and buildings pass by. Sehun’s eyes suddenly brighten, he points at something outside.

“That’s my home!” Sehun exclaims.

Sehun’s house is wide, a rectangular structure with cream painted roof. It has a glass door and Soojung can see that the inside is filled with furniture that is just as white as everything.

“Why is everything here white?” Jongin states the obvious.

“Dunno,” Sehun answers. “It has been like that ever since.”

“There’s been nothing written in the books about that too.” Soojung adds.

“All of the houses are the same!” Jongin bellows.

“We like uniformity.” Sehun says airily.

“Is that why all of you are pale?” Jongin retorts cheekily. “Do any of you even go out of your houses?”

“So immature.” Soojung murmurs.

Jongin winks at her and Soojung cringes in disgust. Sehun laughs heartily at the look on her face, Soojung gasps at him, mocking betrayal.

“He was just insulting you!”

“Yeah,” Sehun says. “But you looked funny.”

“We’re here.” Junmyeon interrupts.

The three look out of the window to find a tall structure that seems to be connected to another building built on top of a cliff. The light from the moon reflects brightly on its smooth walls. And from where they are sitting, Soojung can hear the loud whirr of electricity that is travelling on the structure.

Junmyeon parks the car on the side of the road and turns the engine off before climbing out of the car, the other three following suit. Junmyeon steps in front of the door, tapping twice. Something clicks and then a cylindrical device folds out from the door revealing a small camera. Junmyeon leans his head close to the device, the camera facing directly towards one of his eyes. A small light comes out of it, scanning the pupil of Junmyeon’s eye. The camera then retracts back to the wall and Junmyeon leans back, he turns to the people behind him, smiling gently.

The door slides open with a hiss, Junmyeon waits patiently as it opens, and when it does a body suddenly flings out, landing on top of Junmyeon and surprising the older man as strong arms wrap around his neck. Junmyeon laughs and he pats the back of his attacker.

“Hello to you too Jongdae.” Junmyeon breathes out.

“I missed you.” The man, Jongdae, murmurs. He stands up with a wide smile, pulling Junmyeon up with him. Jongdae then turns to Soojung, Sehun, and Jongin, who are all staring at the two of them dumbfounded. “Welcome to the coven!”

“The what?” Jongin whispers and Soojung shakes her head slowly, not knowing how to respond.

“You have been reading too many Old World books Jongdae.” Junmyeon snickers.

Jongdae laughs, eyes turning into crescents. “I had nothing else to do.”

“Everyone, this is Jongdae.” Junmyeon introduces. “He’s a known researcher in this region.”

“You’re a Scholar.” Soojung notices a hint of wonder in Sehun’s voice.

“I am!” Jongdae agrees, but then his head tilts to the side in thought. “Well, I guess I was before I became part of this.”

“Maybe we should discuss this inside.” Junmyeon says.

“Right.” Jongdae ushers them all in.

There seems to be a reception area inside. Small couches are placed strategically on the side and a reception desk on the other. In front of them is a wide stainless elevator door.

“I’m assigned to man this place tonight, that’s why I’m the first person to see you guys.” Jongdae says, pressing the button. “I’ve alerted them so there must be other people waiting for you up there.”

They all enter the elevator quietly. Soojung remains silent as she watches Junmyeon interact with Jongdae. Jongin stands next to her and sneakily elbows her side.

“You alright?” Jongin asks.

“Yeah,” Soojung says, turning her head so she’s facing Jongin. “Why?”

Jongin shrugs. “You’ve been oddly quiet.”

“Why is it odd?” Soojung asks, a put-upon sigh through her nose.

“You have been firing us non-stop questions ever since we got you out of the healing rooms.” Jongin says. “What happened?”

Soojung shakes her head. “Just observing things.”

“Like what?” Jongin inquires.

“They’re so...” Soojung trails off, finding it hard to think of a word.

Jongin smiles at her, waiting.

“Normal.” Soojung finally decides. “The two of them are acting so normal. I was expecting something more-”

“Scary?” Jongin grins. “You were expecting dimly lit rooms and shabby looking people weren’t you?”

“Yes.” Soojung admits before turning to Jongin haughtily. “You did say you were rebels.”

Jongin laughs. “Yeah, we did.”

The elevator rings, announcing their arrival. It opens and Jongdae quickly leads them out into a wide space. There are a number of tall posts all connected to a glass roof, showing the stars twinkling brightly across the sky. Soojung looks at it in wonder, walking with her head titled up to watch the bright lights scattered in the vast sky.

“Wow-” Soojung is cut off when she bumps into Sehun’s back. “What happened?”

“Uhh,” Sehun starts. “There’s someone.”

Junmyeon and Jongdae are talking animatedly to someone, Soojung wants to peek at the person but the two men are blocking her view. Jongdae laughs loudly then turns to look at Soojung, he throws he a wide smile. Soojung frowns at this, confused by the action given by the strange man.

But then Junmyeon steps aside, revealing the person they are talking to. The person, a woman, is garbed in a yellow dress reaching just below her knees. Her hair is tied up in a messy bun, and some of the strands fall beside her face. There are tears in her eyes when she smiles at Soojung, and before the younger girl knows it, she is running towards the woman in full speed, wrapping her arms around her waist as she buries her face into the crook of her neck. There are tears flowing down her own cheeks, and her voice breaks when she speaks the woman’s name.

“Sooyeon.”

The older woman pats her hand gently behind Soojung’s head.

“I’m here,” Sooyeon croons. “Everything’s going to be okay now.”

Soojung continues to sob on her older sister’s shoulder, clutching at her tightly, afraid that she may disappear again, fearing that this may be all just a dream.

Sooyeon’s gentle voice drones into Soojung’s ears. Soojung closes her eyes, feeling the heavy weight on her shoulder dissolve. 

 


 

User 98025 has entered the conversation...

 

98025: They have arrived?

98606: Yes

98025: I expect you to prepare them properly

98025: We don’t have much time.

98606: I understand.

 

User 98606 has left the conversation...

 

98025: They are in danger my friend. 

 


 

A/N: this chapter gahhhhhhhh