When The Rain Sets In.

When the Rain sets in.

"I may be a little late coming home tonight, ok baobei? But I'll try to be home before 10." Tao's voice crackled through the phone, bringing on a disappointed sigh.

"Ok gege, but be careful coming home, there's meant to be a storm tonight." You replied.

"I'll be alright," You could almost hear him smiling through the phone. "I need to get back to recording now, I'll see you soon!"

"Ok, seeya!" You replied with a caring tone, thought behind it was one of longing. You almost never got to see Tao because of the comeback preparations, and when you did, he was usually too tired to even move. To make matters worse, there was going to be a storm tonight.

When it came to most things like spiders, bees, the dark - you name it - you were fine, and very brave at that. You were nicknamed "Castle Walls" because you were so strong when it came to things that most girls - or boys for that matter - were scared of. An odd name, but it was fitting. That was why you were so hesitant to tell anyone - including Tao - about the one thing that you were afraid of. Thunder and Lightning. You were afraid that people light look down on you, or make fun of you if they knew that the almighty "castle Walls" weren't so strong after all.

"I'll be ok." You whispered to yourself. "It isn't even raining yet." That's when you start to panic; when the rain sets in. You know what's to come. The crash and boom of the thunder, the blinding white light of the lightning - it's too much for one to face alone. Even if Tao was to come home right now, you'd still send him to bed to get some well needed sleep, and face the storm alone, just as you always did. You couldn't tell Tao you were afraid. It would put too much pressure on him to work even harder so he could get home earlier, and stay up with you half the night instead of resting. He would end up wrecking himself.

But your thoughts were interrupted by the soft pitter patter of water on the windows. Now the longest wait of your life had begun. You looked at your watch.

"Only 8:30..." You mumbled. It was winter, so the dark had set in long ago. The warm fire in your living room fireplace glowed brightly, and lit up the whole room. Earlier you had called Tao to let him know that there was no power at your house, but had ended up being told that you would be alone for at least the next hour and a half. You sat on the floor with a book, and a warm soft blanket wrapped around you. What else could you do for entertainment? It seemed pointless, really. No power, home alone, storm approaching. Why not sleep? Because if you went to sleep, you wouldn't be able to let Tao in when he came home. The door was locked, and you weren't planning on leaving the door unlocked and going to bed. It was too dangerous outside your apartment, this area was notorious for its robberies.

The rain was growing louder now, heavier droplets fell, and you started to become a little more tense. A yowl from the balcony outside caught your attention, and you turned around slowly.

"That damn stray cat..." You mumbled, putting your book down. The stray tabby that usually hung around this neighborhood was walking rather grumpily through the puddles on the balcony. It was only when it jumped up onto the side rail that it really caught your attention. The clay vase Tao had made you for your birthday was sitting on the side of the rail. Usually it would be safe there, the weight of the plant inside it kept it from falling due to natural reasons like weather - but not cats. You slowly got up and moved towards the glass doors. The cat saw you coming, but continued slinking around the railing top. Tip-toeing towards the doors, the blanket dropped from around your shoulders and onto the floor. This was the only door in the house that you could actually get through right now. The other doors al had electric locks, which of course weren't working due to the power outage. You slid the door open after unlocking it, and peered out to the bucketing rain. The cat tried to come inside, but you pushed it our wit your foot. The cat yowled again and jumped onto the railing - pushing Tao's vase off in one swift movement. You screamed and the cat ran off. Your socks were getting soaked with every step you took down the stairs to the alley that it had fallen into. The water from the puddles wasn't your biggest worry, however. You ran to pick up the pieces of your broken present on the sidewalk. Each piece of vase was jagged, so you handled them carefully. You remembered Tao telling you how hard he worked on it, missing practice to make it for you.

 

~flashback~

 

"I'm not very good at making things." He had said. "But I remember you saying you liked this kind of stuff." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously, before you smiled brightly at him.

"I love it!" You said happily, Tao wrapped his arms around your waist and pulled you into an excited hug. You wrapped your arms around him and he spun you around.

"Happy birthday baobei!" he said cheerily. he stopped and leant in close to your face, only inches away. He locked eyes with you, making it impossible to look away. "Saranghae..." He whispered, and then pulled you in to a kiss.

 

~End of flashback~

 

You held the pieces in your arms, your tears mixing with the rains that washed over your entire body. You stood up and ran blindly back to the stairs, slipping on a puddle and falling into the handrail of the stairs. The stiff metal hit your cheekbone, and you felt pain against your hands and chest. You looked down to see blood seeping from small cuts on your palms, and some on your collarbones. The pieces of vase had been pressed against you by the fall, and pierced through the skin. You took a deep breath in and ignored the pain, running back up the stairs to your apartment. It was only when you got inside that you realized how deafening the rain outside was. Inside the apartment, it was muffled and less chaotic. You put the pieces of slightly bloodied vase next to the fireplace. It was probably best to let them dry, and you could clean them properly in the morning. You looked at your phone and saw that Tao had text you.

"I'm getting ready to leave now," It said "Stay inside, ok? I don't want you catching a cold." You smiled at the thought of Tao's caring words, before realizing you were soaking wet. You got up to walk to your room,and tried the handle. It didn't move.

"That's right..." You growled. "Electric locks." You sat by the fire and sighed. There wasn't much firewood left, and the rain from outside was coming down the chimney to dampen the wood that was meant to be burning. You put the blanket around you to try and keep you warm, but it didn't make much difference. You started to shiver, your hair dripping onto your soaking wet clothes.

 

And then the first clap of thunder barged in. You jumped, and felt tears come to your eyes. You tried to blink them off, pulling the blanket further around you. A blinding flash of lightning lit the apartment for only a split second second with an eerie white light. You shut your eyes as hard as you could, and felt warm tears glide down your face, before and even louder boom erupted throughout what seemed like the entire city crashed through your eardrums. You screamed and curled into a ball on the floor, the blanket covering your whole body. It was like an eruption, or an explosion was happening in that room, like the sky was breaking, and the pieces were falling around you. It was in the truest sense horrifying. Another blinding light to paralyze the senses, but your eyes were already shut. They wouldn't open again until the storm was over. A loud crash once again made you scream and dive under the small coffee table to hide. The blanket covered you from head to toe, and stuck out from under the table. The lightning came again, and again you couldn't see it.

The thunder that followed was long and rumbling, like an approaching army of horsemen, loudly firing artillery in all directions. You felt like they would enter the apartment at any second, the deafening stomping and explosions sounding and booming louder that anything you'd heard before. You pulled your arms over your head and started to cry. You knew the thunderous 'cavalrymen' were almost there, ready to get you at any moment, at any unsuspecting time to-

 

You felt a pair of hands grab your shoulders and pull you from under the table.

 

You screamed and started shaking, but the hands pulled you towards the warm, dry comfort of an embrace.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked. "You shouldn't have to suffer alone..." You started to cry into Tao's warm chest, feeling his hand your wet hair affectionately. "Aish, didn't I tell you to stay inside?" He asked. Another boom of thunder erupted, and you shot your arms around Tao's waist and hugged him tightly. He put his hand on your cheek, and tilted your head up to look at his. He had a warm expression on, but that quickly faded when he saw what had happened to you

"Baobei... your eye..." He gasped. You must have gotten a black eye from your fall into the rail earlier, you thought.

"I'm sorry gege..." You said, whimpering. You pointed to the broken vase. "I couldn't save the vase you made me." Tao grabbed your hand and studied it, looking at the cuts that had made themselves visible. He sighed, and pulled you into a slightly more careful hug than before.

"It's alright baobei, we can make another one together." He whispered tenderly. You nodded and wrapped your arm back around him. "You know, castle walls aren't the things that protect." Tao said quietly. You looked up at him, confused.

"There's something that fights off the bad guys before they can even touch the castle walls." He smiled. "Do you know what that is?" he asked. You shook your head, but his your face in his chest when the thunder crashed again. The storm was moving away.

"It's a knight." To said warmly. You were shaking in his arms. "A knight is sworn to protecting the castle walls from ever being harmed by anything. So I'll be your knight and protect my castle walls." Tao pulled you into a tighter hug. He lifted your face to meet his gaze once again, and stared intensely into your eyes. Slowly he leant in and closed the gap between your lips with a gentle but passionate kiss. our face grew red at the contact between the two of you, and you felt his hands tangle themselves in your hair. Tao was so warm, to him you must have felt like an iceberg. Tao came out of the kiss and rested his forehead against yours.

"Saranghae." he whispered lovingly.

And then the power came back on.

 

=====================================================================================================

my very fist one-shot, what do y'all think?

sorry if it dragged on a bit, I was in one of those moods and needed to write some , usually i would write a poem... (elle i fricken dare you to give me about that, see what happens XD)

please comment and tell me what you think ^^

if you have any requests for one-shots... I might just do them?