Hospitality and Remembering

Christmas Angel

     She was still questioning herself when the turn of a key opened her apartment door and she usher the angel boy inside.

“So you don’t know your name, you don’t know where you’re from, and you don’t know how you got here?” He shook his head. “Do you at least remember what happened to you?”

He rubbed his head again and shot his eyes upwards as if he could see the top of his head by doing so.

“I think I hit my head or something…then I got lost and I was cold and tired, so…since I was dressed as Santa anyway, I figured I’d be safe in the sleigh. No one noticed me till you came along.”

Sona nodded. “Right.”

She looked him up and down. What was someone like him doing dressed at Santa anyway. She motioned to her couch.

“Go ahead, make yourself at home. Are you hungry?”

He sat and hesitated, then looked up at her with boyish eyes and nodded.

“Alright, I’ll see what I have. You just rest. Who knows, you could have a concussion or something.”

He touched his head as if that thought scared him.

     In the kitchen, Sona continued questioning herself.

What if he’s a crook? What if he steals your money and takes off? What if he has some problem, like drinking or drugs or something? What if he…tries to do something to me?

She closed the refrigerator and turned to the stove.

And what if he’s a lost boy who somehow hurt himself and can’t remember how to get home on Christmas Eve? What if you kick him out and he starves or freezes or gets arrested or something?

Something her gut told her to trust this boy, but then she was afraid that was just because he was sweet and attractive.

     “I remember!” She heard him shout in the living room.

She ran out to see him standing up with his finger in the air.

“What?” She demanded. “What do you remember?”

“My name.” He announced proudly with a happy smile. “It’s Taemin.”

Sona’s shoulders drooped. She was hoping it’d be something more important—not that a person’s name isn’t important.

“Oh, well, nice to meet you, Taemin. My name is Sona.”

She held her hand out and he shook it softly and they bowed to each other.

“Nice to meet you.” He returned.

“Sit.” She told him. “The food is done.”

She went back to the kitchen and came out with two bowls of kimchi noodles and two pairs of plain chopsticks. She set one bowl in front of the boy and handed him the chopsticks. He smiled and bowed his head to her.

“Thank you very much.”

She sat across from him in a chair and watched him eat hungrily. He stopped to look up at her embarrassedly. She grinned.

“It’s ok, go ahead, eat up.”

He chewed and swallowed, then said. “It’s very good.”

“Thanks.” She stuck her chopsticks in her noodles in order to appear occupied. Then she looked up again, curiously. “Why don’t you take that Santa suit off? You look small enough; I probably have a pair of baggy jeans and a t-shirt you could wear if you want.”

He reached up to adjust his hat, brushed his hand across the white fur on his coat, and glanced at the boots he’d left at the door. Then he shook his head.

“No, I like it. I think it’s…festive.”

“That it is.” She went back to her food.

She had to admit, though, he did look pretty cute dress as a beardless Santa… She jumped when she realized she was staring at him…and he was staring right back with a meaningful look in his eyes. She chuckled.

“What’s funny?” He wanted to know.

“Just thinking…it would be funny if you thought you were really Santa Claus.”

He laughed with her. “No, I’m pretty sure I’m not him. But…I think there was an important reason why I’m replicating him…”

He looked like his head hurt from thinking so much and Sona felt sorry for him.

“You can sleep there for tonight.” She nodded at the couch. “Tomorrow we’ll figure out how to get you home.”

He looked down at the couch and then back up at her. “Are you sure? I don’t want to impose, I mean…shouldn’t you be with your family for Christmas? I don’t want to ruin your holiday.”

Sona heaved a heavy sigh and shook her head. “I have no holiday to ruin. Don’t worry, it’s not a problem.”

He cocked his head and she thought he looked extremely adorable when he did it.

“Why is that? It’s Christmas, everyone celebrates Christmas.”

Sona shook her head again, thinking. I really don’t want to get into this with a stranger right now…

But something about him pulled the honesty out of her.

“Not me. I’m not celebrating Christmas this year.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Why not? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“I have no good reason too. I have no reason to be happy. If Christmas is supposed to be a time of joy, then I can’t really participate.”

He had a questioning look on his face, but wisely kept silent. But that only made Sona want to share more.

“Look,” She stood up with a hint of frustration in her voice. “Are you staying here tonight or what?”

He looked up at her calmly and nodded. “Yes, I will. Thank you so much.”

She just nodded and left the room, locking herself in her bedroom.