2/3

Behind the Mask

People may be scared of him and afraid to approach him, but that didn't stop him from doing what he liked the most. As soon as he entered the gym in sweatpants and wife beater, the music and an addicting rhythm filled the giant room.

He stomped on the floor and began moving. His legs first, then his arms, his torso and his hips. He moved to the music, blind to the rest of the world. The beat filled his veins, taking over both his body and mind. To everything else, he was as good as lost as he was at that moment.

Distracted and occupied, he did not notice the presence of another person in the room. She stood at the door, leaning against the frame as she watched the high school senior dance until he started sweating, making his shirt and hair damp with sweat. She didn't intervene or anything, she just stood there and followed him with her eyes, like before by the gate.

With his back turned to her, she walked away with nothing but a twitch in the corner of .

Although he didn't like it much, being early on days like these could be quite beneficial. Hoya attended class today in a better mood than ever; he almost felt like smiling, but that would ruin his image, right? The image of the fearless delinquent with the scary looks and dark background.

He sometimes wondered, as he walked down the hallway, why no one ever stopped just to get to know him, be it just his name or age.

The bell rang at 4:30. Hoya wasn't enthusiastic about leaving just yet, thinking about stopping by the library or something. A student, probably someone from class, walked up to him and said:

"Howon, there's someone waiting for you by the gate..." he said rather carefully.

"Who is it?" Hoya asked.

The student shrugged. "I don't know. She said she wanted to see you... She was very cute, though..."

Cute? Hoya packed his things and went with quick, steady moves towards the school entrance. As the guy had said, there was a person waiting. It was Sunny.

"What are you up to?" he asked without thinking.

Sunny looked at him. "You've got some guts, kid," she said, "practically glaring at me like you did. And with all those people around? Wow."

Hoya didn't answer. He frowned and straightened the bag across his torso. She was looking somewhere at him, probably in thoughts. Should he walk off or wait to see what else she had to say? He really wanted to choose option A.

"See you later." Then she walked off, leaving him hanging without a word.

He shook his head and went to get his bike.