1/3

Behind the Mask

Senior year of high school is like standing on the edge of a cliff; you're either about to back off or about to fall. Whether you like it or not, it is a point in your life where everything feels like too much, yet there is still a long way to go.

Hoya woke up every morning to this feeling. It was his final year before he was off to college, if he ever decided to go. It didn't feel like a choice to him, it was more of a duty or chore. Check.

There were clouds outside. Around here there were always clouds, but those were threatening with the power of rain. It wasn't the best thing to wake up to, but it somehow fit his mood; a little empty.

Heading downstairs, he was greeted with silence. As usual, there was nobody at home. His father was probably working as always, his mother could be anywhere. He was alone, that he knew.

The local high school was far enough that he needed his bike for this trip. He was early and everything, but he'd really like the silence of it. It was comforting unlike the one at home.

Parking his bike in front of the school gate, he locked it firmly and leaned against the concrete wall. A group of college students came into his line of vision, a rather big crowd focusing on a simple, small thing.

Well, small, at least.

Girls and guys of all sizes and ages were surrounding a single individual. She was short with blond hair and a mischivious smile. Surely one of the populars who got attention for no reason...

"Guys! You're making me embarrassed!" a high-pitched voice 'complained' all of a sudden. Realizing it came from the girl, Hoya raised an eyebrow.

"Aw, Sunny, you're so cute!" some guy in the crowd said.

Sunny giggled and let out a playful 'kya!' as she continued acting all cute and embarrassed. Hoya didn't know why, but he wasn’t sure whether to fall for her obvious aegyo or punch the cuteness out of her.

There is something called a limit, he thought.

Sunny turned her head and looked at him. She wasn't smiling anymore, just watching him, as if scanning every cell on his skin. Her eyes felt like they were burying into his soul and emptying him of his deepest thoughts. Since Sunny was looking, everyone started looking, but turned away just as quickly. There were whispers among the group, like girls mumbling something about him being scary.

Ah... He was used to that by now.

Something changed in Sunny's eyes. The corner of twitched upward for about 0.3 seconds before she noticed, looked away and said, "Let's go. I'm cold and don't want to be late."

She walked off, the group of students following her like a flock of sheep after a proud, stuck-up shepherd. Hoya frowned and walked inside his school.