What If That Was Me

I Don't Even Know You

The night was cold and overcast as the passengers disembarked from the plane into the airport.  it was very late and the usually bustling airport during the daylight hours was subdued in the furtive scurrying of airline passengers and staff.  There were fewer planes landing at this hour of the night so the terminals and baggage claim area were easy to maneuver through.Top was waiting with his manager near their baggage claim carousel. A young Korean man wearing a leather jacket and faded jeans was standing near him.  He was texting someone on his phone and smiling slightly.  The young man looked up and noticed Top standing near him.  They smiled and nodded at each other as the bags started to arrive from their flight. Top saw a familiar gray case slide down and around the baggage carousel.  He leaned over to reach for it when the young man next to him also grabbed for it.  Their hands were together on the handle and Top looked at him questioningly.  The man pointed to a tag on the handle that was in the shape of a smiling dog.  "My girlfriend put this on the handle so I could tell which one was mine," the young man explained.  Top looked down at the caricature of the grinning canine.  He smiled and released the handle.  "That's a pretty good idea" Top said.  "I should find one for mine as well."  The young man gathered up his things and walked away.  Top saw his gray bag and grabbed it.  As he was walking out of the terminal he heard a female voice scream "Seung Hyun!"   Top looked around at the small crowd that was gathered at the exit.  He saw a few paparazzi and people waiting for their loved ones.  He saw one brown haired head bobbing up and down and a small hand waving frantically in the air.  The woman screamed "Seung Hyun!" again and again.  Top watched as the brown hair bobbed closer and closer until the crowd suddenly spit her out onto the thoroughfare.  She was waving madly in Top's direction and a huge glowing smile was plastered on her face.  Top thought to himself, "I don't think I know her. Is she a fan? I really don't want to sign an autograph or anything right now. But she seems so very happy to see me."  Top sighed and smiled at the girl.  The young woman went running towards him.  As Top and his manager moved to intercept her, the girl brushed past them and ran straight into the arms of the young Korean man from the baggage claim area.  Top watched in surprise as the woman threw herself into the arms of the man with a beaming smile on her face.  There were tears standing in her eyes as he lifted her up and swung her around.  Their smiles were smothered in a passionate kiss.  Top could not look away as they pulled away from the kiss at the same moment and the man very gently placed her on her feet.  He saw her small body slide down the young man's as their foreheads touched and they gazed into each other's eyes.  The young woman said something that made the young man's smile grow bigger.  The man murmured something to the woman that made her throw her head back and laugh.  Her arms were still around his neck, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck.  His arms were still wrapped tightly around her waist.  They smiled and murmured to each other, ignoring the flow of people around them exiting the airport.  Top was caught by the touching tableau of a couple, deeply in love, reuniting after a long journey.  Her heart was shining in her eyes as she searched the face of her lover.  The young man's hands were fisted in the fabric of her jacket, seeming to not ever want to let go. Top felt a small stab of jealousy as he saw the young couple standing still in the middle of a flowing crowd.  There were only those two in their world.  The rest of it did not matter.  He had been to so many airports around the world.  He had hurried through terminals upon terminals always going somewhere, needing to get there in a hurry.  Never had there been a time on his many journeys had there been that special person waiting for him to come back in such a way.  As though their whole life had stopped until the one that mattered came home.  Top envied the love and joy of the young couple as he stared at them in the exit of the airport.  But his world intruded as he was staring.  His manager touched him briefly on his arm to get his attention. The manager nodded at the black van with tinted windows from the car service that would take them to their hotel.  Top reluctantly got into the van.  He looked back at the young couple still standing in the middle of the slowly lessening crowd.  They were still holding each other so closely.  Top stared at them as the van pulled into traffic until their two bodies slowly became one.  

 

 

A/N: I see a lot of pictures of Top at airports, either coming or going someplace.  I was reminded of the time when I was called away from home.  I was gone for a long time and when my husband and I were parting, we didn't know if I would come back.  When he saw me at the airport, he did this to me.  it was the single sweetest moment of my life.  I was just thinking how horrible it is for someone who spends so much time in airports, never being able to have a homecoming like this.  So I thought I would write about it.  This is my first fanfic.  Let me know what you think! ;)