Tears do not suit you

Childhood Memories

One day Uruha was happier than ever, and the other day his life started going downhill again.

Since Monday Reita hadn't talked to him at all. At work, he might've said a couple of words, but he never looked into Uruha's eyes. Whenever Uruha tried speaking to him, he started working on somehing or walked away, or just pretended to text someone. The honey-blonde didn't know what had gone wrong. He tried calling Reita, he tried speaking with him, he tried everything. Only it didn't work.

On Saturday Uruha was getting really frustrated. Aoi tried comforting him, telling him that maybe Reita didn't even care. But Uruha knew that there was something wrong with Reita, he'd never act like that otherwise. Uruha'd known him long enough to realize that.

Since Aoi had to work for the whole weekend, Uruha had time for himself. Normally he'd been all emo for the days, but this time he called Kai - whose phone number he'd gotten a while ago - and asked where Reita lived. You can guess what he did next.

Fortunately Reita didn't live too far away since it was morning and Uruha hated doing anything that included moving in the mornings. Uruha walked to the pretty nice apartment building and looked at the note he'd scribbled down to see if he was in the right place. Then he stepped into the building and took the elevator to the thirth floor, where Reita's apartment was.

'Suzuki/Matsumoto'

Uruha ringed the doorbell and waited unpatiently for someone to open. It didn't take long until Ruki answered the door, already in full-clothing. "H- Huh...? Uruha-kun? What're you doing here?"

"Where's Reita?" Uruha asked bitterly. Ruki seemed pretty surprised, but told Uruha to come in. As the latter stepped inside, he saw Reita sitting in the kitchen table, reading a newspaper and drinking coffee - and almost choke in it as he noted Uruha. "Uruha?!"

Uruha walked to Reita and asked strictly: "Why've you been avoiding me?"

"Avoiding you? What're you talking 'bout? And besides, how do you know where I live?" Reita asked.

"I had to ask Kai to tell me where you live because you weren't answering my calls and avoiding me at work!" Uruha almost yelled, but tried to keep calm.

"Look, Uru... Aoi told me how you two met. I had no idea I hurt you so much and I don't want to make that happen again", Reita said.

"When the hell did he tell you that?! And besides, if you left me again, it'd be just the same, but only worse!" Uruha yelled. Reita was shocked since his childhood friend rarely sweared, so it was rather serious.

"It wouldn't be the same. You'd have Aoi, you'd have someone to love you. Me being around you... It's only hurting you more." Reita looked at Uruha, like he was begging him to understand, but Uruha didn't. Instead he inhaled deeply, and spoke with a suffering tone.

"Back then... If it wasn't for you, I would've done a suicide before the high school! You always saved me, you helped me to go through all that. When you left, I was broken. The reason why I almost committed a suicide was because you left me, not because you existed in my life."

"Please, try to understand, Uruh-" "UNDERSTAND?! It's you who don't understand! I left most of them home, but I still have a few razor blades in my night stand. Do you have any idea how I'd use them if you left? How I used them when you moved away? If you want me to die, then fine, leave my life. If you don't want to hurt me more, as you said, then try to be a better friend!"

Uruha sunk on his knees and started crying, his head on Reita's lap. The latter his hair and muttered: "I'm sorry... I didn't think through it propeply."

Ruki, who'd been watching the whole conversation with wide eyes, now finally moved and made some hot chocolate, not for himself, but for Uruha. He added marshmallows and some extra milk there to sooth Uruha, who wouldn't stop crying.

"Please, stop crying... I don't want to see you like that", Reita begged and lifted Uruha's chin, seeing his watering eyes that showed better than anything how much in pain their owner was. "Crying doesn't suit you."

"Crying doesn't suit you", the 15-year old Akira told to 12-year old Kouyou. Kouyou had been bullied again, but it was even worse since Akira was in different school so he couldn't protect his little friend.

"Nothing does... I'm ugly", Kouyou whispered, remembering how the other students had mocked his pouty lips and girly face.

"You're not, ugly, Kouyou. You're beautiful", Akira said and wiped tears from Kouyou's eyes. "If you ever call yourself ugly again, I'll make you to look into a mirror until you admit you're beautiful."

Kouyou didn't dare to look Akira into eyes. He was afraid that the blonde would immediately know he liked him if he did, and then leave him behind like a pile of garbage. He didn't get how Akira could call him beautiful anyway, there were plenty off pretty girls in Akira's class, a lot prettier than Kouyou.

"You should be dating some hot girls, not comforting a little kid like me. If not that, then hang out with your friends, at least. You're popular, aren't you? You'd get a girlfriend easily", Kouyou blurted, not aware he said his thoughts out loud.

"Because, Kouyou, you're much more important", Akira replied softly and pulled Kouyou into a friendly, warm hug. As Kouyou felt the strong arms around himself, he started crying even more. He knew he would lose Akira some day, there was no way someone like him would waste their time to Kouyou for rest of their lives. Still, Kouyou was afraid of that day coming.

"You know what could cheer you up?" Akira said suddenly. Kouyou didn't response, only nodded his head a bit, so Akira continued. "Kouyou suits you as well as tears do. So I'll call you Uruha."

"Th- That doesn't suit me at all!" re-named Uruha protested, but it was no use, so he pouted. "In that case, I'll call you Reita."

Akira laughed the same, deep chuckle Uruha loved. "Reita? What does that even mean?"

"I don't know. You, I guess. There's no one other who that name would suit for, anyway", Uruha answered, shrugging his shoulders.

"Well, I like it in any case. You call me Reita, I'll call you Uruha", Reita said and put his right hand in Uruha's. "Deal?"

"Deal", Uruha muttered and shook his friend's hand. It was somehow childish, but at the same time Uruha felt like he was growing closer to Reita. It was something only between them two, something they had to share. It made him... happy.

"Uruha? Here." Ruki's voice and the smell of hot chocolate brought Uruha back to reality. He wasn't a kid in Reita's arms, he was a fullgrown, broken man crying on his lap. Uruha looked at Ruki and saw the hot chocolate. Ruki smiled as Uruha took it and sipped it, immediately regretting the decision as it burned his tongue.

"It's hot", Reita said, smiling faintly at Uruha's expression.

"Thanks for warning, I wouldn't have known", Uruha replied sarcastically. From this, Reita and Ruki knew he was getting better. The blonde got up from Reita's lap and sat on the chair next to him, sipping carefully the hot drink. It tasted delicious and it made him feel a bit drowsy. Really drowsy. After drinking some more, he fell on Reita and became unconcious.

"...Ruki? What did you made him drink?" Reita asked suspiciously as he watched the beautiful man sleeping on him, looking so peaceful compared to before.

"Well, there were some sleeping pills since I sometimes don't get to sleep, and he seemed so tired and stressed and unhappy, so..." Ruki explained, looking at his lover apologitcally. Reita sighed and muttered: "I guess it's fine... But you'll take the responsibility when he wakes up."

"Hmm... I gotta do some shopping. See ya~!" Ruki said, grabbed his jacket and left before Reita could reply.

"That little..." Reita started, but was distracted by Uruha moving in his sleep. And muttering something. "S- Stop... I'm so sorry... Ruki, please..." Tears formed in his eyes and he grabbed Reita's black shirt like he was in pain.

Reita was shocked. How could Uruha dream of Ruki like that? Had Ruki done something to him, or was it just a coincidence? Reita figured he'd ask that from Ruki himself later, and now brushed some hair off Uruha's face. You're called Uruha... Why're you crying?

"And moreover, when you wake up, you're gonna tell me where those razor blades are..." Reita added. When he'd find those, he'd get them the away from Uruha, that was for sure. And if Uruha wouldn't tell him, he would go into his apartment like a bulgrlar when Aoi wasn't home and find them.

Reita decided Uruha would like to sleep on a real bed, so he took off his shoes and carried him into his bedroom. He wasn't too tired himself, so he went to the living room and started playing his PS3. There was a boss battle he needed to finish, and now there was no one to distract him, so he had a perfcet chance. Unfortunately, when his enemy had only a little life left - and he had even a tinier amout himself - Ruki called him, distracting him so that he got killed.

"!" Reita yelled, miraclulously not waking up Uruha, and picked the phone from the floor. He should've turned it off or something...

"WHAT'RE YOU DOING? I WAS JUST ABOUT TO KILL HIM!" Reita yelled bitterly.

"Kill him?" Ruki repeated curiously, a bit worriedly.

"The boss battle in Final Fantasy! I was just about to kill the enemy when you called!" Reita explained. He was so frustrated right now...

"So a boss battle from some video game is more important than me?" Ruki's mood went a but down, obviously. He never liked video games, unlike Reita, who's spent his whole childhood playing them with Uruha.

"Do you have any idea how hard the boss battle is? I was so close! I mean, it took so long to get to that point!" Reita replied and flailed his arm, as if Ruki was there to see him. "Why'd you call me anyway?"

"Well, I just saw that there's a carnival in the town, so I wondered if you wanted to come. But if a video game is more important than me, I'll go alone", Ruki answered. Reita sighed deeply and said: "Sorry. It was just really hard boss battle... I'll come with you, but Uruha's not awake yet, so I can't come yet."

"See ya there, then", Ruki said and hung up. Reita threw the phone to the floor and continued playing.

Meanwhile, Uruha was about to wake from his slumber. Slowly his eyes fluttered open as he smelled the scent of Reita and somebody else on the bed. He looked around the room, not recognizing it. Then he heard video game noises and Reita swearing, so he drowsily got up, nearly falling down, and headed to the living room. "Reita...?"

Reita paused the game as he saw the sleepy Uruha and smiled. "You're awake! You fell asleep, so I carried you to the bed. Did I wake you up?"

Uruha shook his head and answered: "No... Is that Final Fantasy?" Reita's smile got wider and he invited Uruha to sit next to him and watch while he played. After getting defeated many times, Uruha came up with a plan.

"Maybe you'd defeat him if you got a reward!" he suggested happily. His sleepiness and drowsiness had gotten away by the video game and Reita, so he was actually pretty cheerful.

"What reward?" Reita asked.

"I don't know... What would you like?" Uruha said thoughtfully.

"Well, anytime Ruki watches me play a hard boss battle - which is rare - my reward is a kiss. But I don't think you'd want to give me that", Reita answered.

"No, I'm fine with it, as long as you beat the boss", Uruha said and shook his head slightly.

"Well then..." Reita muttered and started playing.

It took a while, but in the end, Reita did defeat the boss and he and Uruha cheered loudly. As for the award, Reita got a light kiss on his cheek.

"You call that a kiss?" he asked playfully.

"What, you want to make out or something?" Uruha asked bluntly. Reita laughed and shook his head. Then he suddenly remembered the carnival and that Ruki had probably waiting for pretty long.

"Hey, Uru, you wanna go to a carnival? Me and Ruki are going to, so I just wondered", he suggested.

"That's be nice, Aoi's working for the whole weekend anyway, so I'd be bored. But wouldn't I be a third wheel?" Uruha answered.

"Not at all! Shall we go?" Reita asked. Uruha nodded and they left soon after. In the carnival, they found out that Kai had decided to come there too, so Ruki hadn't been so bored while waiting because he'd chatted with Kai.

"Finally! Oh, good, you brought Uruha too!" Ruki said as he saw Reita and Uruha walking towards them.

"Yup. So, what're we gonna do first?" Reita asked and kissed Ruki.

"Well, me and Kai were walking around a bit - we didn't go very far, though - and there was a game where you could win these plushies and stuff, and he really wanted to win one", Ruki answered and Kai nodded excitedly, adding: "There was a really cute panda plushie there!"

And so they went there. Luckily there weren't any other customers there, even though the carnival was otherwise full, so they didn't have to wait. In the game, you just had to shoot the price you wanted. The top prize was a huge panda that Kai had early called cute. First, Kai tried the game, but failed. Then Ruki almost hit a little lion plushie, even though he's aimed for the panda. Even Uruha failed, so Reita was their only chance.

Reita was really, really good at the game. He shot down pretty much everything there was, including the panda. To Uruha and Ruki, he gave a bunch off small stuff, and to Kai, he gave the panda he'd wanted so badly.

"It's so soooft~!" Kai cheered and hugged the panda tightly. "Thanks, Reita~!"

"No problem", Reita said. The only prize he'd kept was a black bandana with silver and with designs.

"If you put that on, you won't have to use your noseband", Uruha pointed out, referring to the bandana.

"Nah, I'll still wear the noseband under it", Reita replied and wrapped the bandana on his face. "How does it look?"

"It looks really good on you!" Ruki commented, hugging his boyfriend. Kai buried his face against the panda and covered his blush. He obviously wanted to be hugged by Ruki too, but didn't have enough courage to say so.

"And the panda suits you. It's almost as cute as you are", Ruki added as he glanced at Kai, who blushed even deeper behind the panda, muttering: "I'm not cute..."

"C'mon, Kai, there's no human who could possibly say you aren't", Reita said and rolled his eyes.

"But I'm not! I'm stupid, I have the stupid dimples and I look stupid when I smile..." Kai protested.

"Nope. You're adorable, you have adorable dimples and you look adorable when you smile", Uruha corrected and smiled. "And even if you're a bit stupid, that only makes you cuter."

"I'm not cute!" Kai repeated.

"You are, Kai, don't try fighting against it", Ruki said and put his arm on Kai's shoulders. Kai almost jumped at the touch, but as he realized it was Ruki, he got closer to him carefully, without anyone noticing. He enjoyed the warmth of Ruki and the panda and continued walking with them.

"Oh, look! A ferris wheel!" Uruha said and pointed at the huge ferris wheel where you could probably see the whole city. Well, maybe not the whole Tokyo.

"Should we go there?" Reita asked. He liked the idea too.

"I think we should! I mean, it'd be awesome to see everything from the top!" Ruki answered. He took Kai's hand and started running towards the ferris wheel. When Reita and Uruha, who'd been walking, reached the wheel, Ruki said: "Sorry, it's only two persons per a carriage. Me and Kai are going first."

Reita and Uruha stepped into the next one, while Ruki and Kai were already in the air.

"Look! It's the Tokyo Tower!" Kai pointed out as he saw the red and white tower from almost the top. Ruki smiled and looked at the tower too. It was still early, not even midday yet, so the city didn't look as beautiful as it did at night, when it was dark but you could see all the lights.

"So, are you gonna name the panda?" Ruki asked, but suddenly, when they were right at the top, the wheel stopped moving. Soon they heard an anoucment: "The ferris wheel has stopped working for a while. Do not panic, it is only temporinaly. I repeat..."

Kai looked down at the ground. It was so far away... What if they'd fall and die?

"Kai, it's not broken, just stopped working", Ruki tried.

"But that means it is broken, doesn't it?" Kai said. He buried his face into the panda again and started crying against it.

"Don't cry... I can't stand seeing you like that", Ruki begged and ruffled Kai's hair. "You're so much cuter when you smile and laugh."

"D- Does Ruki like it when I'm cute?" Kai asked. If it would make Ruki like him more, he would never stop smiling.

"Of course I do! Everyone likes it, Kai. If there was a person who wouldn't want to see you smile, I would kill them with my bare hands", Ruki replied, smiling softly at Kai, who moved the panda so that from his face, only his eyes could be seen. "I don't like killing... It's stupid..."

"Sometimes I wonder if you really are an adult", Ruki laughed. Kai glanced at him worriedly, trying to figure if what he had said was bad or good.

"You seem like a little kid so often... That's what makes you cute", Ruki explained. "Even now with that plushie and all. It's so cute."

"You like cute things?" Kai muttered, his voice sounding muffled because of the panda. Ruki chuckled and replied: "Of course! I've been saying it all the time!"

"You've been saying that I'm cute, not that you like cute things", Kai pointed out.

"Well, isn't it the same?" Ruki asked. He took the panda from Kai's arms, got closer to him and gave a quick kiss on his lips.

"Don't tell Reita, ok?" he said and put a finger on Kai's lips. The latter flushed bright red as he stared into Ruki's eyes. He grabbed the panda again and covered his face. He didn't say anything, only stared at Ruki. So many thoughts were flashing in his mind at the moment. Why did he kiss me? Does he like me? He has Reita, doesn't he? But that's why he told me not to tell Reita, right? But Reita's all he could wish for, right? Unless he didn't like him anymore... But he's the type who would've told Reita that. So he still likes Reita, but me too? Or maybe he doesn't like me, maybe he's playing around with me...

Kai bit his lip, the bad habit he had anytime he got nervous. What if Ruki really was playing around with him? He'd never showed any kind of affection towards Kai before, so it would make sense. But why would he do that? They were friends, right? Or were they? Kai wanted to start crying again, even though the former tears hadn't dried yet.

"Kai? You okay?" Ruki asked worriedly - Kai couldn't help wondering was he really worried or not.

"I- I'm fine", Kai managed to say.

"If there's anything bothering you, just tell me, okay?" Ruki said. He moved the panda way again and Kai's cheek lightly. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"Then why're you playing around with me?" Kai blurted, but regretted it immediately. He didn't mean to say that, really! With panic in his eyes, he didn't dare to look at Ruki.

"...Play around with you? What do you mean?" Ruki asked in confusion.

"Y- You know what I mean! You kissed me, you call me cute, you're so friendly with me, even though you've never done that before! It's confusing! A- And don't even pretend you want to help me, you're just playing around with me!" Kai explained. He was fighting against tears, not wanting to seem weak in Ruki's eyes.

"I kissed you, called you cute and I'm friendly with you because I'm worried of you! Seriously, you've been acting so weird lately and I'm worried! Can't you at least tell me what's wrong, or am I that bad friend?" Ruki said. "Do you really think I'm just playing around with you? Why the hell would I even do that?!"

"I'm acting weird because I love you! Happy now?" Kai cried and covered his face. Ruki froze, unable to say anything.

"See? Is that really that good if I tell you what's bothering me if we won't be able to even look into each other's eyes anymore?" Kai asked, tears starting to flow on his cheeks. "I'm sorry..."

"Kai, there's nothing to apologize for. If you like me, I'm totally fine with it. It's just that... If you like me, I expect you to tell me right away, not wait until it's too late. I'm glad this ferris wheel stopped, otherwise you'd probably never confessed and would regret it when it'd be too late", Ruki said. He sat next to Kai and pulled him into a warm embrace.

"What if I regret confessing? We'll never be the same again, you know it", Kai muttered against Ruki's now wet shirt. Ruki ran his fingers through Kai's hair and answered: "You won't regret it. Even if we won't be the same, you'll still be glad I know how you feel. Besides, if I were to return your feelings, wouldn't it be even better?"

Now it was Kai's turn to freeze. '...to return your feelings...' Had he heard it right? '...to return your feelings...' He had. But wouldn't that mean Ruki liked him too? But if he did...

"What about Reita?" Kai asked as he stared at Ruki in shock.

"Have you heard how he talks about Uruha, how he stares at him whenever he sees him? He'll manage, I'm sure", Ruki answered. If Reita and Uruha got together and Ruki and Kai got together, everyone would live happily. Except for one. Aoi would probably kill Reita for taking his Uruha, he would be so mad even Uruha could get a part of punishment. And Kai didn't want that.

Kai was about to explain his theory, but the ferris wheel started moving again. It dragged him back to reality, as if confessions were not made and they were just like usual. But Ruki proved it was reality by once again pressing his lips against Kai's. Kai loved it, how Ruki's and his tongues played in his mouth and how Ruki's hands were wrapped around his body.

They parted when they were so close to the ground they could be seen. Kai was panting slightly and his eyes were begging for more. But they couldn't take a risk of someone seeing them, so they separated from their embrace and Ruki sat back on the seat opposite to Kai.

"By the way, this comes pretty late, but on Monday there was this shady guy who came to the shop when you were in the backroom. He asked if you were there, but was busy so he couldn't wait until you came back. He said he'd be there soon", Ruki said as he remembered the incident.

"W- What?" Kai was in obvious shock. "Th- That guy... Did he tell his name?"

Ruki shook his head. "He just said he wanted to see you."

"No... no... no..." Kai whispered and covered his face with his hands. "This can't be happening..."

"Kai? Is something wrong?" Ruki asked and grabbed Kai's shoulders. The latter looked at him and muttered: "I... I'm fine... Don't worry about that..."

Ruki was still suspicious, but decided to ask Kai later about the guy. As they were back on the ground, they waited for Reita and Uruha to come and then started wandering in the carnival again. Reita and Uruha didn't seem to notice how pale Kai was since they were chatting happily. Then again, they hadn't been in the same carriage as Ruki and Kai.

"Hey, since Aoi's working for the whole weekend, how about Uruha and Kai both come to our's? We could rent a movie and stuff", Ruki suggested, being too worried of Kai to leave him alone for the night.

"And what? We'd hava a pajama party and play truth or dare and stuff?" Reita joked.

"That'd be fun! I'd love to!" Uruha said, changing Reita's mind about pajama partys immediately as he imagined Uruha in too big pajamas, being forced to a make-out session in truth or dare. Reita tried to push this thought away, but failed. It was just too delicious.

"Okay then! This is gonna be soooo fun!" Ruki cheered and put his arm on Kai's shoulders again. "Right?"

"Yeah!" Kai said, forcing a fake smile on his lips.