Distress and Coma

Childhood Memories

 

It had been four weeks since the accident. Kai hadn't left Aoi's, who was in coma, side for once and didn't even let go of him, just laid on the hospital bed and hugged him. He still talked to Ruki, but even the shorter male's love wouldn't help his depression. Besides, Ruki had a lot of job keeping up two households and the snackshop, so he didn't visit the hospital too often, even though he came by every time he could.

Uruha wasn't any better, but Aoi wasn't the only one whose side he was sitting on. Because in the same hospital room, also in coma was his dear childhood friend who had taken even more damage than Aoi, and had nearly died saving him.

That faithful evening, when Aoi was about to get hit by the truck, Reita got a sudden burst of adrenalin out of nowhere and dashed to save him - only to fail. The truck hit both of them, but without Reita Aoi would've died. Reita himself suffered very serious damage and nearly died, but the doctors managed to save him before that could happen.

Now, they slept in the same room - as Uruha had requested - not moving an inch. Uruha was about to break since the two people he most loved were not with him. He couldn't hear their voices, he couldn't rest in their warm embrace. Just like Kai, Uruha never left the hospital, which is why Ruki had to keep up with both apartments.

Because Kai was not letting go of Aoi, Uruha spent most of his time with Reita, but was nearly as much with Aoi. He held their hands and talked to them, cried on them and begged them to wake up. Kai also talked to Aoi, but so quietly Uruha couldn't hear. It's not like he even cared. He was dead inside and he would continue like that until his lovers woke up.

This evening, like usual, Ruki arrived to the room to bring Uruha and Kai some food. For some reason, the hospital didn't mind Uruha and Kai staying, but they still had to buy their own food.

"Any improvement?" Ruki asked in a soft tone when he entered the room. He was very concerned too - he cared for both men, and didn't want anything bad to happen. He sat on a chair next to Reita's bed and Uruha's back.

"No... Not at all", the honey-blonde whispered. Ruki sighed and gazed at Reita thoughtfully. He wiped some hair off Reita's eyes and looked at him sweetly. Even though they had broken up, he still loved Reita at least like a friend or a brother, and he loved him a lot. He cupped Reita's cheek and muttered: "Wouldn't it be time to wake up already, sleepy-head?"

Uruha didn't mind actions like this coming from Ruki, because he understood the other's feelings. He still liked to have Reita mostly to himself, so Ruki didn't stay with him too long and moved to Aoi and Kai. Always, he kissed Kai, chatted with him a bit and asked about Aoi's condition, even though he already had asked about it from Uruha. He would say something to Aoi, stay with him for a while and then say his goodbyes to everyone before leaving - after all, he had a lot work to do. He usually visited two or three times a day, but there were days when he could only visit once because he was too busy.

When Ruki was gone, Uruha changed the bed and sat on the edge of Aoi's. He placed his hand on top of the raven's cold, unmoving one and squeezed it a little.

"The doctors say you should wake up before Reita... And if everything goes fine, you might be up next week... Isn't that nice?" he whispered. A soft smile formed on his lips and he drew circles on Aoi's hand with his thumb. "Your family is going to come by again tomorrow. They've been really worried... Your mom was crying when I talked to her on phone."

As always, Uruha got no response. His smile faded away and he planted a kiss on Aoi's forehead before resting his head on his chest. He wasn't letting go of Aoi's hand when he rose up a little and kissed Aoi fully on lips. In the beginning it had felt weird to kiss him without being kissed back, but by now Uruha had gotten used to it. Kai watched calmly Uruha's movements, not saying anything - as usual. When Uruha pulled away, he looked at Kai and said: "Don't worry. He'll be okay."

Kai never replied to Uruha's words, but it didn't bother the honey-blonde. Kai just sent him a brief glance and continued running his fingers through Aoi's hair. Uruha sighed and stayed by Aoi's side for the rest of the evening, and almost all night. Then he switched sides again and laid on Reita's bed, wishing good night to him before closing his eyes and snuggling closer to him, but only to be awake all night and wonder what he was supposed to do if neither of them woke up.

The next day the first time Ruki visited was around noon. He told Reita how the snackshop had been doing, squeezed his hand a bit and headed over to Aoi's bed. That moment Uruha thought it was going to be a normal day of sitting by his lovers, but then he felt something nudge his hand - which was holding Reita's. He paled, he could only stare at the long, slender fingers that had moved just an inch or so.

"RUKI! Come here!" Uruha said in panic. Ruki didn't even rise his gaze when he muttered tiredly: "What is it?"

"He moved! Reita moved!" Uruha explained quickly, still staring at Reita.

"Uru, you're tired... You probably just imagined it", Ruki pointed out. He was pretty stressed at the moment and he hadn't slept in many nights, but Uruha didn't care. Since Ruki wouldn't believe him, he shook Reita's shoulders gently. When nothing happened, he climbed on the blonde and shook him a little rougher and said: "Reita! Reita, I know you are awake! Please, Rei, this isn't funny!"

Uruha could feel tears rise into his mahogany eyes. He ignored Ruki's words he couldn't even hear properly and cried: "Akira!"

The corner of Reita's eye twitched a little - this happened every time when he got annoyed by something, and being called 'Akira' was something that certainly annoyed him. "He's awake", Uruha whispered and grasped the older blonde's hand tightly. "He's awake, Ruki!"

However, Reita didn't move for the rest of the day, no matter how much Uruha begged him to. But then, the next day he could weakly squeeze Uruha's hand and move his lips the slightest bit when Uruha kissed him. The following night Uruha didn't even bother to check on Aoi because he just held Reita's hand close to him and prayed the God.

After three days, Reita's struggles finally paid off and he woke up.

"Oh my God, Reita!" was all Uruha could shout that moment when the said male's eyes opened slowly. Uruha was crying the tears of joy when he helped Reita sit up.

"Am I... Am I dead?" Reita asked in confusion. Uruha hugged him tightly and answered: "You're alive! Oh, God, thank you so much..."

"What...?" Reita could just whisper one word. He suddenly remembered throwing himself on Aoi. A undescribable pain. Black and white, white and black. Uruha cried. Ruki cried. Aoi in coma. Doctors. Reita in coma. Truck. Drunk driver. Serious damage. This all ran through his mind along with other memories, like hearing his family softly talk and Uruha cry every day and night. Ruki was keeping the snackshop up for him. Reita was in coma because he had saved Aoi's life. Aoi was in coma too, but wasn't as badly hurt as Reita.

"H- How long...?" Reita asked quietly.

"Four and a half weeks..." Uruha mumbled and Reita's cheek lightly. Reita had nearly forgotten how beautiful his smile was...

"That long... Is Aoi awake?"

"No... He was supposed to be awake before you, though", Uruha answered. "You saved his life, Rei... He'd be dead without you."

"Can I see him?" Reita asked with a light shade of worry in his voice. He used to hate Aoi, so Uruha was surprised by his request. He hid his shock, though, and replied: "I should ask the doctors if you can move or not... But he's right there." He moved aside and let Reita see the bed on the other side of the room, where Aoi was resting peacefully.

"That motherer better show some respect when he wakes up", Reita muttered bluntly, not showing any of the worry.

"Reita! Don't say things like that!" Uruha gasped.

"Whatever..." Reita sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. Uruha smiled again and said: "I'm so happy you're awake."

And the next thing Reita realized was that Uruha threw himself on him, crying pitifully. He embraced Uruha back, pulled him so close it almost hurt. It'd be just a matter of time when he would start crying too.

Later that day the doctors informed Reita he shouldn't move around too much and he was still in a very weak state. They were really shocked how quickly Reita had awoken - it should've taken much longer, considering his injuries. They still let Uruha help him to walk across the room and sit on the chair next to Aoi's bed.

"Well... At least he doesn't look as bad as I do", Reita commented. He had some nasty scars to himself while Aoi's wounds could easily be covered by clothes and hair.

"Hey, Uru... I want my noseband", Reita whined suddenly, like a little child who didn't have his favourite plushie. Uruha chuckled and took a white piece of cloth out of his pocket. "The one you wore that day is in the trash because it was so badly ruined... So here's a un-used one."

"You had this with you all along?" Reita asked as he put the strap on like usual, tightening the knot so it wouldn't fall off or anything.

"Well, when you moved the first time I asked Ruki to go get one just in case", Uruha explained. "It's from your drawer."

"I see." Reita turned his gaze back to Aoi. From Aoi, to Kai, who ignored him completely and just held Aoi's hand tightly. He was really worried since Reita had already woken up, but Aoi hadn't moved one bit. Reita smiled and asked Uruha: "How has he been?"

"Not too well... He won't leave Aoi for one second and-" Uruha couldn't finish because at that moment, Ruki stormed in, crying. "I'm sorry I couldn't come earlier! Oh my God, Reita, you really are awake!"

"Up and dandy", Reita joked, but it didn't cheer Ruki up at all. Actually, he didn't even seem to hear Reita said anything, he just jumped on the older male's lap and hugged him tightly. "I should've believed Uruha when he said you moved! I was so stupid, I would've spent more time with you!"

"It's okay, Ru..." Reita muttered, slightly surprised by his ex's acts.

"No it's not! Nothing's okay, Rei! I was so worried, I thought you wouldn't wake up at all!" Ruki cried, his tears wetting the thin hospital-robe Reita was wearing.

"R- Ruki, are you-" "I should've gone after Aoi! I should've been in coma, not you!" Ruki interrupted loudly. Reita sighed. True, it was supposed to be Ruki. It was supposed to be Ruki who went after Aoi and Kai, but Reita did it. Actually, if Ruki went, Aoi might've even returned. If Ruki went, no one would be in coma and... And what? If Aoi would've returned, the situation would've become very awkward. He and Uruha might've never even looked each other into the eyes anymore. Now the whole propose could be forgotten, at least for a while.

"It's okay, I'm fine now and Aoi will be too", Reita muttered and patted the shorter male's head.

"A- Are you sure? He was supposed to wake up before you", Ruki sobbed, looking at Reita worriedly. The latter chuckled and replied playfully: "Yeah, but I knew I had to wake up early 'cuz you guys can't do without me, can you?"

"Yeah, right", Ruki snorted, and let Reita wipe his tears away.

"You know what's unfair?" Reita suddenly said. Both Ruki and Uruha looked at him curiously, and even Kai glanced at him. As he had gained everyone's attention, he continued: "You people get real food, I gotta eat some ty hospital food!"

"Heh. You've always been a picky eater", Ruki chuckled and pressed his index finger on Reita's forehead. "Some day that'll end up killing you!"

"Aren't you the one to talk, Mr. I-Puke-Everytime-I-Eat-Something-And-Get-Childhood-Traumas-Oh-And-I-Also-Hate-Strawberries", Reita snapped, making Uruha snort while Ruki just scowled. The latter stood up and sat on the farther edge of the bed, Kai's hair.

"How have you been doing?" he asked quietly. This time Kai didn't answer him. He pulled his knees closer to his body and pressed harder against Aoi. Ruki sighed, brought his hand to Kai's cheek and muttered: "You gotta eat, babe. Starving yourself to death won't wake him up."

True, Kai had gotten very thin. He refused to eat, and drank very rarely. His skin was thin and pale and his eyes seemed more dead than before. It was almost like he was trying to force his own energy into Aoi.

"You like pockys, don't you?" Ruki took a pack of the said treats from a shopping bag he'd brought with him, and showed it to Kai. The latter gazed at the pockys suspiciously, but he seemed to want it. Ruki noticed the want in Kai's eyes, chuckled and opened the pack. He brought a chocolate-covered pocky between his lips, leaned over Kai and let him get the other side of the snack in his mouth.

"Well? Wanna start eating again?" Ruki asked when they had finished the pocky together. Kai didn't answer and turned back to Aoi, as if he had only eaten to satisfy Ruki.

"I don't wanna force food down your throat, but if you don't start eating again I'm afraid I'll have to do it", Ruki warned. Kai looked at him with big puppy eyes Ruki usually couldn't resist.

"I'm serious, Yutaka." Oh, Ruki was serious. Kai hated being called by his real name because it brought back traumatic memories about his family and... and a person who had made Kai the ruins he was now. Kai looked like he was about to cry, but Ruki decided for the first time go hard on Kai and continued: "I understand it's hard for you, but what would Aoi think? He would think the exact same as I. He would force food inside you with those tubes - those tubes that can be found here in the hospital."

"He wouldn't hurt me", Kai whispered shakily.

"Well I wouldn't either! You need to eat!" Ruki was starting to raise his voice, and Kai finally broke into tears because of this. He cried on Aoi and grasped his clothes. Reita and Uruha watched silently from the distance, knowing they couldn't do anything. Ruki realized what he had done and tried wrapping his arms around Kai, but the brunette slapped his hands away.

"I'm sorry!" Ruki apologized, not knowing what else to say. He had hurt Kai. He had hurt Kai when he was in his weakest state. He had raised his voice at him.

"I- It's okay if you don't want to eat, please forgive me!" Ruki begged, even though everyone in the room knew it wasn't okay if Kai didn't want to eat. Kai wouldn't let Ruki touch him anymore, and eventually Uruha suggested Ruki would leave and try to fix the things tomorrow.

"I'll walk you to your car, okay?" Uruha said with a caring smile and exited the room with the shaking, nearly crying, Ruki. Reita sighed and pulled his chair closer to Aoi's bed.

"It's just us then, huh?" he muttered. Carefully he took Aoi's hand and spoke: "I know we aren't in very good terms and you probably hate me... But I woke up when Uruha held my hand, so I hope it'll work on you too..." He glanced at Aoi, but his only movements were just the cause of Kai shaking on him. "I saved you because I know Uruha wouldn't be himself anymore if you died. And you saved his life, so I guess that was also my way to thank. I hope we're even now."

Aoi still said nothing, and Reita sighed again. "You could show some appreciation, y'know. Do you have any idea how worried Uru has been? Kai is even worse!" No response. "You idiot..."

Reita decided to give up on Aoi for today and glanced at Kai. He smiled and commented: "You know, this is more like an asylum than a hospital room."

Kai sent him a quick glance, but nothing else. Reita didn't mind him being silent, so he continued: "It's because we're all crazy here. There's one who doesn't wake up even if there was an earthquake. One who doesn't speak to anyone and stays expressionless all the time. And then there's one idiot talking to himself like a madman..." Reita shook his head slowly and chuckled. "I guess I'm the craziest one of us all."

Kai couldn't hide a quiet snort, but as soon as Reita noticed it he returned the blank expression and hid behind Aoi, just peeking a little behind him.

"We all miss your smile, Kai... Aoi too. So if you smile, don't try to hide it", Reita pointed out. Kai didn't seem too convinced and scowled. Reita guessed it was improvement that Kai at least acknowledged him, but he wanted more. The hand that had been on Aoi's was brought to Kai's cheek. The brunette flinched at the touch, but didn't protest. Reita looked into his eyes and said: "Smile for me, Kai. Smile for all of us."

Kai didn't smile.

Reita was disappointed and leaned back in his chair. He gazed at Kai worriedly. The brunette had once been very close to being just as broken as now. If it wasn't for Reita, Kai would've been like this for years... And now, the same man who Reita had saved him from, had made him like this. And then a ing wasted driver made it even worse! Reita was so glad when he had heard the driver died...

Suddenly a cellphone on a table next to him rang. It was Uruha's - the honey-blonde forgot to bring it along. Reita took the phone in his hand and saw it was Ruki calling. He answered it to hear Uruha saying in a rather sad and tired voice: "Ruki's really upset right now so I'm gonna stay with him... I'm sorry."

"It's okay, it'll be better that way", Reita answered.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Uruha asked worriedly.

"I'm in a hospital, if something happens - which I doubt - there is help nearby", Reita pointed out.

"Yeah... I'll be back tomorrow morning, 'kay?"

"Yeah."

"I gotta go now... I think Ruki's crying... Bye."

"Bye... Love you." Reita was pretty sure Uruha hung up before he heard the last two words. Reita scowled and put the phone away. He looked at Aoi in concern and noticed Kai had fallen asleep beside the raven. He looked very peaceful, almost as peaceful as Aoi himself.

"Uru won't be here tonight, so I suppose I'll keep company to you", the blonde announced. It's not like Aoi's facial expression really changed or anything, but Reita was sure he was pissed off.

"Hey, it's not my fault. If you were a good boy and woke up before me I wouldn't be bothering you right now." Reita frowned as he gazed at Aoi. "So what does Uru do when he's around? Am I supposed to you or what?"

Reita paused for a moment, then laughed and corrected: "It was a joke, I wouldn't you. But seriously though, what does he do? Hold your hand? Kiss you?" Reita placed his elbow on the back of the chair and leaned his chin on his palm. "I can hold your hand, but kissing you would be kinda gross. I mean, if you were the sleeping beauty and it'd wake you, I'd do it, but I know you won't wake up. Unless it was to punch the out of me... or slap me. I'm not really sure what you would do. What would you do?"

As expected, Reita got no response to his blabbering. He pouted a little and said: "I guess you'd just beat me up, huh? Or kill me. But that wouldn't be very nice, would it? I mean, I saved your life and all... Then again, 'cuz you saved Uruha we're even..." Another pause. "Are you gonna wake up or what? I've heard some people don't wake up from the coma 'cuz they don't want to. Is that the problem? Are you running away from Uru? Hey, you didn't step in front of that truck on purpose, did you?"

He took Aoi's hand again. It felt cold. He wondered if his hand had felt just as cold when he was in the same state. "Okay, Aoi, I'm sorry I yelled at you, I'm sorry I hit you, I'm sorry I said all those things etc. Can't you just wake the up? Uruha's worried to death!"

"Look, I'm serious!" Reita was almost yelling now, and it was a miracle Kai didn't wake up. "Wake up! I apologized you, isn't that enough?! You might not be the love of my life but I want you to wake up!"

Reita took a deep breath and then continued: "Have you seen Kill Bill? Do you remember what they did to that woman in coma? They let dirty old men use her body as they pleased for a payment. Do you want to experience that too? Hey, I'll do it! I'll ing do it if you don't wake up! I'll get money from it, you know?! I bet those erts would be happy to take your , huh?! OI! Answer me!"

Unconsciously Reita had stood up and grabbed Aoi's collar, and this - and his yelling - woke Kai up. Tiredly he sat up and stared at Reita. This made the blonde realize what he was doing. He sat back on his chair and apologized: "Sorry. I should just go to sleep."

Kai said nothing, as usual. He just stared at Reita, then at Aoi, then at Reita again. The older male frowned and said: "I guess I really am crazy, huh? A real madman... Maybe if I'm sent to asylum I'll stop bothering him... I don't know why I even do this. It's not like neither of you care what I talk about. I should just shut up, shouldn't I?"

Reita didn't know how it happened or why it happened, but the next moment Kai was hugging him tightly. He answered the hug, wrapping his arms around Kai's body that seemed to have gotten smaller and smaller, even more fragile it had been before. He was more like a child, or in his early teens. Reita let Kai just be there and hug him. They didn't exchange a word, just stayed in a warm embrace that comforted both of them.

The next morning they were both found sleeping on Aoi, peacefully and seeming to have no worries. When Uruha stepped in and saw this, he first was very shocked and wondered what had happened, but then his expression softened and he took a blanket from Reita's former bed and covered them all - Aoi was the only one who had covers pulled on him.

The sight was the most unlikely thing Uruha had ever seen, but it was still so very... warm. Cozy. Caring. It made him want to jump in with them, but the three men barely fit on the bed anyway, so Uruha knew there was no space for him, so he just sat on the chair and gazed at them with a soft smile on his lips. Maybe Reita had finally grown to like Aoi.


WARNING: EXTREMELY LONG A/N

WOW

This is the fastest in' update I've ever done o.O
Like seriously, how many days has it been? Three? Four? I dunno... Maybe less, I kind of lost the sense of time 'cuz it was my autumn holiday... Which unfortunately just ended T.T

Well, anyway, I told you Aoi's not gonna die :D And he will wake up, so don't worry 'bout that either :) It'll just take a while...

Anyway, as I said in the last chapter this is gonna end pretty soon, and of course I will have to start another fanfic to replace it! Here's some ideas I've had and which I will start in the near future. These have just really brief summaries, I promise they're more interesting than they first seem! Let me know which ones you'd like to see the most, and I'll start the one you guys want :)
So here's the list:
-KittyCat (Main: ReitaxKai Side: AoixUruha, AoixKai) (Reita saves a starved kitten, but ends up having a half-human, half-cat cooking breakfast for him)
-One maid needed (Main: ReitaxKai Side: AoixRuki, RukixKai, MiyavixKai) (Kai as the housekeeper... of Suzuki household XD)
-Pirate and mermaid (Main: AoixUruha Side: ReitaxKai, MiyavixRuki) (Uru's a mermaid, Kai's a random guy who can read maps, everybody else is pirates. You can figure the rest all by yourself XD)
-Dollhouse (Main: AoixRuki Side: ReitaxKai, ReitaxUruha, UruhaxKai) (Ruki, Uruha and Kai are kind of like servants/slaves called Dolls, made in a science lab to serve their masters. Even though they aren't humans, can they still love?)
-Vampires  a *bleep* (Main: AoixUruha Side: ReitaxKai, AoixRuki) (All vampires have a prey - a human whose blood they can't live without. When the prey dies, they need to find another one. Recently, Uruha has been feeling oddly sick... And one morning he finds two little holes on his neck)
-Mad - of love (Main: AoixUruha Side: ReitaxKai) (Aoi escapes from an asylum where he has been put for no reason when he was a child, and Uruha helps him to begin a new life)
-Online, Offline (Main: AoixUruha Side: ReitaxKai) (Five people - can you guess who? XD - meet in the internet and finally, after a long time, decide to meet up in real life)
-Loving the magic (Harry Potter AU) (Main: ReitaxKai Side: AoixUruha, MiyavixRuki, MiyavixMelody, SeverusxLily, RemusxSirius) (Kai is a Hufflepuff, and a mudblood - and he's in love with the most Slytherin person there is. Enough said, his life isn't easy)
-Changing back to who I was (Main: ReitaxKai Side: UruhaxKai, AoixRuki) (Reita killed a person in his former school, but somehow managed to get away with it. In his new school, however, there is only one student who doesn't avoid him with all his might)
-Brother Complex (Main: ReitaxKai Side: AoixUruha) (Aoi and Kai as brothers) (Aoi has been over-protective of his little brother ever since their parents died, so Reita isn't quite sure if it's okay to confess to Kai)
-Anata no tame no kono inochi (Main: RukixKai Side: ReitaxUruha) (Based on the song Anata no tame no kono inochi)

Well.... I didn't mean the list to be THAT long XD There are plenty of OneShots coming up too, including an AoixRuki with TWO endings (y'know, like in games XD) again AoixRuki heavily inspired by Beyond: Two Souls, an angsty TwoShot about Reita and Uruha and much more! I'm also planning to do a Christmas-themed fic on the said holiday ('cause I have no other life XD) and I'll also try to do a fic for Kai's birthday AND a Halloween-fic, but I might not make it in time.

You can check my full-story-listing here: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2890300/

I only listed the ones I'm seriously planning to write, but if you want me to write one of the stories I've listed in my FanFiction-profile, I'll gladly do so (as soon as I have time for that)

I'm also planning on a fanfic that's gonna be freakishly long (like... REALLY long) but I won't be writing it until I have enough time. It's gonna be ReitaxKai and I've been planning on it for a REAAAAALLY long time now. So remember to look forward to that one too!

I think that's enough for this Author's Note... Damn. I'm seriously shocked if you made it this far o.O Buh Bye!