The lost smile.

Sitting by the Window.
The lost smile--

 

What a strange kid, most thought. Here he was sitting in a place that was ‘registered’ to someone else, had someone fight for him before they even exchanged names and now he was grinning to himself, looking at the battered guy, his head to the side, simply watching. It was as if he knew something, as if they didn’t fool him, not one bit. Which would be a surprise, after all everyone had been fooled when entering this school. Everyone just didn’t get what was going on. Most fought on their first day and then their second day, and they fought until they didn’t have the energy in their bodies anymore. Some got invited into Kyuhyun’s group of followers. Not his friends, his friends were always the same little group, but instead of being his friend, they got his protection. Which was always good, yet if they did something bad, like curse the guy behind his back or something, they were instead kicked to the curb and were violently beaten as a ‘reward’ for their stupidity. There was a group of rebels who didn’t listen to anything Kyuhyun said, didn’t like breathing the same air as him, but they were never as vocal towards their hate towards the leader of the school as the new kid was. They wanted him in their group, but at the same time were very afraid of the consequences of having someone who didn’t seem to follow orders very well, who made enemies faster than anybody in this school every did and also they were friends, good friends and this guy didn’t seem like the type of guy who did the concept of friends. Which was a pity, when they thought about it carefully; he would’ve been a great guy to have at their service. 
 
Anyways, the class was currently looking at the sitting idiot who didn’t seem to hear the silence or just didn’t care for it. They were all staring and people could actually see the anger on Kyuhyun’s face. He seemed ready to explode if the casual guy continued his administrations to the desk. The guy was currently searching for something on the desk. His hands lightly touching the surface of the desk, his eye following them until he was plastered on it to look at the front of it, his legs hooked to the legs of the chair so he wouldn’t suffer from a fall, like he made the other go through. People were still staring, waiting to see what Kyuhyun would do. He was staring at the guy, assessing what he could do, what he would do to make the other suffer from all the disrespectful actions he was doing. The breathing of the guy, silent yet with a small puff, made Kyuhyun cringe with anger, even the guy’s breathing was annoying. Nothing the other did was okay, in Kyu’s eyes. Nothing. 
 
“As I see here, there’s no name on the desk. So it must be an unwritten rule, and I don’t really follow those. No carvings, no written messages. This desk is clean-clean-clean. Wonders that someone of your type would be sitting here.” 
“My type? Please do tell me what my type is?” Said Kyuhyun with a scowl on his face, ready to fight with his own fists in what seems like a very long time. Kyuhyun isn’t a coward, he just likes his hands to be able to play video games, plus he had friends to defend him anyways. 
“You’re a coward who hides behind this big persona so people won’t know you’re actually vulnerable, that you can actually care for something else than yourself. I’m sure you were bullied before, that you cried in your room until you couldn’t anymore and you had to do something. You learned how to fight, and then when you had enough followers you stopped all that fighting, like the coward you are, and made them do the job. You think you’re all that, but seriously, your just a small little piece of-“ 
“Are you really that careless that you want me to get beaten up again?” Said Donghae’s voice making Eunhyuk smile sweetly at him before turning back towards Kyuhyun. He was not finished, and he said just that.  
“I wasn’t finished, Please refrain from interrupting my speech in the future, thank you.” He thought for a moment, as if to remember where he was and smiled to himself. “Ah yes, the best part. You and your stupid followers fooled many people who came here before, making them look like idiots, making them beg for mercy… That won’t work for me. I’m stronger than I look and maybe I am the trash of society, but that doesn’t mean I’m stupid. You think I don’t know what you guys are doing, you and your friends? Eff. I thought I would actually have to think about your little masquerade you do here, but seriously it’s poorly done. Mind games, yeah for the stupid maybe.” 
“Masquerade? Mind games? I don’t see what you’re talking about, but you insulting my friends and I… I can’t take that without doing something about it, you must understand that right? You must know how it works here, if you’re that intelligent. Then you know… I’m going to beat you up on my own. I’ll kick your until you beg for mercy and then I’ll kick your some more. Don’t think you can come here and talk like that. This place is mine, I don’t share, I don’t care about you. So you’re going down.” 
“Finished? Did that help your ego? Being all though in front of your classmates? Neh, you just forgot something. You said at the beginning that you were going to beat up Donghae instead of me. That the annoying guy was going to take responsibilities for my actions. I don’t see that being applied at the moment. Come, I don’t really care. Try beating me up, if you want. I have nothing to lose. You do though. Everyone here heard you say that the guy was going to be the one to receive my beatings. Are you a liar, Kyuhyun? Are you really going to beat me up when you promised something else entirely? Backing away from your words? Don’t find the idea so enticing now, uh?” Said the smug boy, having the day of his life back talking with the leader of this school.  
“You don’t mind someone taking a beating in your place? Who’s the coward now. Afraid I’ll beat you up real good?” Kyuhyun said with a bite. “I guess a beating is a beating. It may not be as fun to see him beg, but I’m sure it’ll be fun still.” Kyuhyun was walking away, pulling an affronted Donghae who was currently glaring at the smug guy sitting in the prince’s seat. Yet before Kyuhyun and his friends got out of the class, Kyuhyun’s wrist was caught between a gentle hand. Eunhyuk’s hand. He pulled him back and smiled smugly.  
“What’s with beating him outside? Away from my eyes, neh? I see the battered body, but I don’t feel pity for him. Come on, are you afraid to beat him up here? Are you guys hiding something?” The smug face of Eunhyuk really pissed off Kyuhyun’s followers. Like seriously.  
“Okay if that’s what you want. I’m sure Donghae won’t mind a public beating, ne Donghae?” And as a response, Donghae glared a Kyuhyun, but said nothing. He also glared at Eunhyuk with such intensity that it just changed the guy’s face. Him who was so smug, was now batting his lashes at Donghae and smiling sweetly. That smug bastard. 
 
Kyuhyun mumbled something only a couple persons heard before raising his fist and punching the guy in the stomach, making Donghae lose his balance and stumble backwards, air gone from his lungs. And Kyuhyun was about to punch the other again, his fist was caught in a strong grip before being twisted and pushed towards the end of the room, and before he caught on with what was going on, his knees failed him, after receiving a kick behind them, and he fell on the cold floor… Again. With composure he wasn’t known for having, Kyuhyun got up and smile at the smug bastard. 
 
“Couldn’t see someone being beaten up in your place?” 
“You really would’ve punched your friend twice just to get to my brain?” Said a calm voice. “How, what’s the word, honorable? Yeah, using your little games and even apologizing before punching him. Not very nice of you, Kyuhyun. Very unlike what a friend would do.” 
“Friends? Donghae and I are not friends. He’s a loser. He’s a follower, yeah sure, but also a punching bag.” 
“Hum, hardly. He’s the missing desk, isn’t he? The guy that scares people away from you guys. He’s the punching bag alright, but only when a new student arrives and shows himself like I did. He follows people and makes friends with them. Tries to get information out of the person, information you don’t already have of course. You guys don’t fool me one bit.” The guy, without looking over his shoulder, without waiting for a response, got out of the room, but not before glaring at the ones trying to stop him. He also waved his fingers in Donghae’s face and apologized for his chin, a chuckle escaping his lips. When he was long gone, a voice boomed from that classroom. A voice so frustrated, so loud people shivered in their seats. 
 
“Okay, who told that motherer how we work here? Who ing told the motherer?” 
 
So yes, Eunhyuk was right. That was how they did things at that school. Yet people were in shock, most people didn’t talk about how the school ran its business. Nobody said a thing, actually. Never had, since the couple years Kyuhyun took over the school. There was an unwritten rule of not saying what happened, if you did you’d get your kicked a couple times, but nobody had ever said a thing… Until now. Nobody knew what to do with this, this was new for them, totally new and they were shocked out of their socks.  
 
On the same day, a couple minutes later the guy could have been found in the gymnasium, alone… Alone until someone came to see him. A guy that was in the same class, but had watched the events unfold from the vantage of the door, after ‘beating up’ his best friend. And yet again, Eunhyuk had been followed by some guy. And again, it was not just any guy… It was a guy very close to Kyuhyun, a guy that had the position of second in command to the second in command, if a title of the genre even existed. He was Donghae’s best friend. Choi Siwon was the name. The same age and same class as the others in Kyuhyun’s little group of friends. He had escaped when nobody was looking, searching for the guy and finding him in minutes. 
 
“Very brave of you to do that… I’m surprise someone of your genre would stop an unknown guy from being hit a second time…” Said the voice of Siwon, an edge of danger in his voice, as if he was actually looking for something important. 
“My genre? Cute. It seems like this place is one I should avoid from now on… I can’t seem to find peace in the gymnasium. Uff.” The one deepest in the gym whispered the last sentences more to himself than for the sake of the stranger.  
“I don’t think someone ever did something like you did. Very strange for a stranger to do something of the sort… Even more so when you don’t have history here… Or that’s what people think. I’m sure we could find a name you know from here. A shameless prick of the cowardice genre that came here and left ‘cause it was too tough for his poor soul.” 
“Whatever you’re searching, you won’t find it… I don’t think I made myself clear enough earlier… I’m stronger than I look, a lot tougher and I won’t come crawling back to you guys when this school will be too hard to handle. So why don’t you ask your questions straight out and I’ll see what I can do to answer them, okay?” 
“That just won’t do, you see… I have many questions, but I don’t believe I’ll ever get an answer from you. You seem like the type to glide between closed fingers like sand. Very difficult to assess. Still I’ll try one, just for luck.” 
“So sorry, but times up…” Said the bastard who was already walking towards the double doors of the gymnasium, soon to cross path with Choi Siwon.  
“I didn’t know we had a time limit. That’s a bit unfair.” And as Eunhyuk was passing, his wrist was caught and he was pulled towards Siwon, so they were chest to chest. Seeing Eunhyuk’s face this close made him smirk. Eunhyuk may have proved to be strong mentally, but physically, he wasn’t a match with Siwon. Not when being caught between too arms that were a lot larger than his own. His hands placed on the other’s chest, as if to pull him closer or push his away, made it difficult for the young man to struggle properly. 
 
“Now-now, who’s being unfair?” Said Eunhyuk, still trying to push them away from one another.  
“You’re hiding something… Why don’t you clear whatever anger you have against us and talk?” Said Siwon in a soothing voice.  
“You think that voice of yours will make me talk? Think again.” 
“Ah, you think yourself a lot stronger than you are. We could just beat you up and make you stutter out whatever we wanted you to stutter out.” 
“Nice of you to insult me like that… And I don’t think you understood my words earlier, I have nothing to lose. Nothing. You took away something from me. You must not even remember what, but I don’t take that without vengeance.” 
“Ah yes, that little boy who was so scared of everything. It was kind of pathetic to watch him walk around… He was so scared. Always begging people to befriend him… I see who you lost… We took him away from you and now-“ Said the smug voice of Siwon, who was just rambling anything to make the other get angry. Which worked pretty fine, if you ask him, until he received a punch in the face… How did that guy escape his hands without him noticing? 
“Shut up! You don’t know what you’re talking about.” 
“Now he’s dead, uh? Dead and you’re still alive so you will take you vengeance on us. How nice of you, little piece of .” A chuckle escaped Eunhyuk’s lips, a raised eyebrow his only response to the comment for a simple while… And then he spoke again… 
“You were bluffing… Sweet, you almost got me. You really don’t know anything. You guys are losers if you ask me… Trying to get to people’s head and bullying people to their breaking point. That’s hardly nice. But believe me, it won’t work on me, I’ll make sure of it.” He was then seen walking away, towards the door where an agglutination of people was standing… The friend of Kyuhyun and the leader himself were standing there, looking at him. He saw Donghae looking at him with a frown; Eunhyuk was sure he knew something… Maybe he even saw a connection between him and a student here… Maybe he was going to tell the leader about it. Hyuk didn’t care. As long as they didn’t touch his best friend, he would be happy. They would never touch his best friend again. He would make sure he doesn’t return to his home with fresh bruises and no smile. 
They had taken his best friend’s smile and he was going to return it.

 

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed reading into this world~
Thanks for reading.