2

The Crowned Prince and I

The Prince was leading the dance without giving any glance at his partner while Hye Soo was totally taken by the handsome face and the sweet smell of the prince.

Do you do modeling stuff? She asked, speaking out her mind. The prince just shook his head, still not bothering to give her a glance. Hye Soo pouted.

I guess you don't speak that much, huh. So much for being the prince. She muttered, remembering the dances she had with Prince Harry back in London.

I don't fraternize with strangers. The prince said, still stiff and frigidly dancing. Offended at the prince's words, Hye Soo stopped dancing and walked out of the dance floor, leaving the prince staring at her back with glaring eyes. The prince went back to his seat and remained there for the rest of the evening.

Horrible, unsociable, stupid, annoying prince! How dare he say that to my face!? I'm a stranger?! This is sooo rich! As if I know him too?! Hye Soo bellowed at the palace garden.

YAH! CHOI HYE SOO! Eoddieseoyo?! It was Minho calling from the stairs. She huffed and waved an arm, showing her brother where she was. She heard footsteps hurrying towards her.

What the hell are you doing here?! It's freezing cold and you didn't bring a coat with you! He scolded her as he wrapped her in her coat.

I'm not going back there. She whispered, suddenly realizing how cold she was.

What? Minho said, straining a bit more closer.

I said I'm ing not going back there! She snapped, totally pissed off. Minho was in shock. It was the first time his little sister used the F-word.

You just didn't curse at me, did you? He said, his eyes angry.

What if I did?! I didn't even want to be here! Now, I get insulted just like that?! How rude! And to think I asked for vacation from my work just to come here! I'm going back to London tomorrow! She stamped her feet, letting her anger out on the snow. Minho's eyes softened and he sighed.

Calm down, dongsaeng. We can't go back to London yet. Remember our promise to harabeoji? Just a few more days, Hye-ah. Minho told her, trying to calm her down. She huffed and puffed, before letting him lead her back inside the warm pavilion.

Where were you?! Ambassador Choi Siwon scolded them. Then he saw Hye Soo shiver a few times.

You went outside without any coat on, didn't you? He asked, eyes all serious with concern. A nod from the eldest gave him the answer. He sighed and led the siblings into a private room with the royal family and their grandfather and mother.

Your Majesty, we thank you for this welcome party you organized for us. Their grandfather said, and then threw the two of them a glare, making them drop on their knees and make a proper courtesy.

We're happy to be in your presence, You Majesties. The siblings chorused. The king smiled and nodded.

Go and take your rest. We'll talk again tomorrow, alright? The king ordered, nodding at the chauffer at the door. They all bowed and said goodbye before turning to the door and getting on the car.

[ THE NEXT DAY ]

Eomma, can I skip the meeting with the royal family today? Hye Soo calmly asked her mom. Everyone at the table looked at her.

3.... 2.... 1.... Minho whispered, knowing that it would set off their grandfather's anger.

WHAT?! CHOI HYE SOO DO YOU KNOW THAT WE ALL NEED TO BE THERE?! WE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THIS LAST NIGHT! Her grandfather's voice boomed. She jerked, afraid at the angry harabeoji she was facing.

Abeonim, let's hear her explaination first. Her mother rescued her. Hye Soo gave her a weak smile and started explaining.

Okay. You can stay here. As long as you just stay in your room, you can. Her harabeoji finally consented since she had a valid reason. Hye Soo smiled and thanked her grandfather before turning her attention on her food. They ate peacefully until they had to go to the palace, leaving Hye Soo alone in the house with some servants.

[ AT THE PALACE ]

Ah, Adviser Choi come in! The king said, gesturing them to sit with him. He looked at them and noticed that the one whom he wanted to see wasn't there.

And, where is Young Mistress Hye Soo? He queried. Minho bowed in respect.

Your Majesty, I'm sorry to tell you but my little sister can't come today. She has a new assignment from London and her deadline is the the day after tomorrow. She sent her deepest apologies to you. Minho was the one who answered for their family.

Oh, is that so? But we can't go on with discussing the matter unless she's here. I don't think she even knows anything about this matter, does she? The king pointed out, making the Choi family look at each other.

If that's the case, Your Majesty, allow me to go home and get her for you. Minho offered. The king shook his head.

No, stay here, we have lots of things to talk about besides that.

Dong Min, go and tell Prince Kyuhyun to fetch Young Mistress Hye Soo in the mansion and he can't come back home unless she's with him. The king commanded his eunuch, who bowed and hurried out to find the prince. He found him in the palace garden, playing with his nephew.

Your Highness, the King commanded that you are to go to the Choi Mansion and fetch Young Mistress Hye Soo and go to the King's room. The eunuch said after bowing. Kyuhyun glared at him and sighed.

Send Jino to my noona. I'll go get her. The Prince told him, and went to his car. A few bodyguards went to another car and followed him.

[ AT THE CHOI MANSION ]

Welcome, Your Majesty. The butler bowed.

Where's the Young Mistress? He asked, tossing his keys to his most trusted eunuch, who came with the bodyguards.

She locked herself in her room, Your Majesty. She asked us not to disturb her for any reason. The butler replied, gesturing to the room upstairs.

She didn't ask me not to disturb her, so I'll go instead. The prince told the butler, suddenly walking towards the said room. The butler just bowed, knowing that the prince had power over him. The prince marched right to Hye Soo's door and stiffly knocked. Inside, Hye Soo was in the middle of designing a gown for the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Catherine. At the repetitive knocks on her door, she couldn't contain her anger at being disturbed when she already asked everyone to back off and not disturb her until lunchtime the next day.

WHAT IS IT?! I TOLD YOU NOT TO DISTURB ME! She yelled as she opened it. Eyes wide open, she gulped down a lump in . The Prince looked at her with one eyebrow raised. You haven't told me not to come and disturb you, have you? I think it slipped my mind. He told her, his voice filled with sarcasm.

I... I'm... I'm so sorry, Your Majesty. I didn't know it was you. D-do you need me? She stuttered. The Prince gave her another look from head to foot. She gasped as she followed his gaze.

G.. Please gi-give me one.. One moment.. She said, hiding behind the door. As soon as she closed it, she dashed to her closet and out flew dresses and casuals, blouses and skirts. As soon as she put on a presentable ensemble, she gave a huff and started to fix her hair.

Meanwhile, as the Prince was forced to wait, he roamed around the house with his eunuch just a few steps behind him. In one part of the library corridor, he found what he was looking for. The family pictures of the Choi before they left for London, since he wanted to try and recognize if he already knew the siblings when they were still kids. One portrait, covered with a white piece of cloth, drew his attention. He snapped his fingers and his eunuch quickly ran to his side. He ordered him to remove the cloth. The eunuch did as he was told and that was when the prince seemed to be frozen in his place.

Your Majesty, I'm so sorry for my behavior earlier. Can I ask why you came here? Hye Soo said, as she came near. Prince Kyuhyun was still staring at the portrait.

Who... is this? He asked, not even taking his eyes from the portrait, taken by the beauty he recognized.

Oh.. I think.. This was.... me when I was 5 years old. Eomma seemed to asked a painter to paint me after harabeoji and I came from the palace. She said, a bit sad since she can't remember those days. The Prince nodded and then grabbed her by the hand and led her to the car.

Wh-Wha?! Hye Soo muttered, taken aback by the Prince's actions. My father wants to talk to you. He sent me to get you. The prince told her as he geared the car into drive. Hye Soo, with no other choice, leaned back and enjoyed the ride to the palace. As soon as they arrived, they hurried to the King's office and found the Choi family with the king and the queen.

Sit down, you two. The king motioned to the vacant chairs.

Abeoji, can I talk to you for a few minutes first? It's urgent. The Prince hurriedly said. The King gave him a glare and he plopped onto the chair.

Now that we're all here, we can now discuss this matter. The king said.

What matter, Your Highness? Hye Soo was curious since it required to have them all in the King's office.

The matter about you and the crown prince getting married in two weeks. The king calmly told her.

MWO?! Getting married in two weeks?! Me?! And the Crown Prince?! Hye Soo was appalled. She had a life back in London, and getting married to the Crown Prince would mean letting go of it.

Hye-ah, please.. Her mother warned about her tone. But eomma.. She protested. Siwon, her father, sent her a glare, a usual thing whenever she has to stop and pay attention. She calmed herself down and sat down, eyes starting to fill with tears.

This marriage has been arranged way back when the late king was still alive. Her harabeoji started the story. The Prince just sat there and listened.

I was his eunuch when he was still the Crown Prince. As soon as he ascended the throne, he moved me from my eunuch position and made me as his adviser since he would always come to me for advices about different issues of the kingdom before. Then, when King Jungjin was born, and so was your father, the late King asked me to make a promise with him. That when the time comes, both of our families would become one. That a descedant of mine and his would be married and the promise would be fulfilled. Even if we both die and the promise has yet to be done, the promise will go on our families until it is done. Adviser Choi continued, as he remembered the past.

But.. Why not Minho-oppa and the Princess? Hye Soo said, trying to shift the attention to her brother.

The Princess is already married. My brother-in-law is currently on duty for our country. Prince Kyuhyun said, as a matter of fact.

I'm sorry Your Highness, but I can't marry the Prince. Hye Soo said bluntly.

No, you are to marry the Prince. Everything's almost done and prepared. Her father said. She drew a sharp breath about to protest but his father's angry eyes told her to shut up. She stood up and ran out of the room, leaving all of them the decision of the wedding preparations. Minho, seeing the distress in his sister's, excused himself and ran after her. Prince Kyuhyun stayed, wanting to talk to his father.

HYE-AH! EODDIEYEO?! He yelled, scanning the garden. He heard sobs behind a hedge. He went and took a look and found his sister crying her eyes out. He sighed in relief and went to hug her. She snuggled closer to him and he waited until her sobs reduced to hiccups.

O-op-oppa.. Wa-wae? Why me? I.. I just want.. T-to ha-have a va-vacation wi-with our fa-family b-be-before I le-leave an-and continue m-my w-work in L-Lo-London. I d-don't wa-wanna ma-marry th-the P-pri-prince. She cried, wetting his shirt.

My darling dongsaeng.. It's harabeoji's wish to see this promise fulfilled while he's still alive. You remember, when you were ten and I was 15? He said that there's a promise that must be fulfilled while he's still alive so he can tell that person that it's already done and our families are bound together before he left the world. Minho reminded her.

I.. I do.. Remember that.. B-but oppa.. Ma-marrying the P-prince means.. I have to.. To.. St-op design-ing clo-clothes an-and.. M-my dreams.. Would ju-just end there.. She whispered, trying to shake the thought off of her head. Minho exhaled, knowing this topic would come out.

I know, Hye-ah.. I know.. But, all you have to do is ask for permission to continue your work, and maybe study even more about it. You know, Korean clothes are really cute and fashion wonders. He consoled. She sniffed and looked up to him.

You think so? Wouldn't the people going to be.. Against it? I mean.. We are supposed to look after our constituents, you know. She said, thoughtfully.

The people won't get angry at a princess who has fashion designing as hobby. They might even follow your style. A voice came from behind her oppa. They both looked at the person who answered.

Your Highness, my sister's still a bit upset. I'll go and send her home now.. Minho stood up, gently holding her by the waist since she was still hugging him. The Prince stopped him with a hand on Hye Soo's arm.

Please, Dignitary Minho, can I talk to your sister? Kyuhyun said, with firmness in his voice. Minho looked at the Prince and at his little sister. Hye Soo gave him a nod. He squeezed her hand before going ahead, leaving the two to talk alone.

I just wanted to ask if you want this marriage. If you don't, I can ask the King to wait until my nephew, Prince Jino can get married. The Prince said, with a calm but unsettled voice.

Who would he marry then, Your Majesty? My daughter? My son? What if I don't get married? Then your only hope is Minho-oppa's children. Hye Soo almost laughed at the thought. Prince Kyuhyun rubbed the back of his neck, totally nervous.

Then...... Do you agree to this marriage? To our marriage? He asked. Hye Soo gave him a look and pulled a bright smile.

K-krom! Even though I kinda don't know you at all. She whispered the last sentence, hoping the Prince won't hear a thing.

Okay then. I'll... Go to my Father and tell him that we can push through with this. Prince Kyuhyun was in a hurry to escape an impending awkwardness with Hye Soo. She sighed and bowed to him before starting to go off to the direction her oppa took. You don't have to bow down to me when we get married.

And please, call me oppa too. Prince Kyuhyun seemed to be a softie.

Arrasseo.. Your Ma.. I mean, oppa.. Hye Soo shyly said before going home with Minho.