1

The Crowned Prince and I

Hye Soo-ssi, are you ready? It was one of the organizers of the wedding who poked her head in the room where she was waiting. She gave him a nod and she expressed a sigh.

We're ready! Start the ceremony! She relied to his earpiece. Nervously she stood on her feet and started to walk with attendants beside her helping her in her position. Slowly as she walked out of the room towards the palace courtyard, the past three weeks came rushing back to her, making her nervous even more.

FLASHBACK

Hye-ah! Are your things ready? Her mom asked as she wandered about in her walk-in closet in her condo unit.

Eomma, since the night you called, I've put them in my suitcase and is already waiting, okay? Now, will you get out of my closet and have some tea? She yelled in the direction of her room, since she was in the kitchen, making tea for her and her mom.

Well, I saw that you still have a lot of clothes in your closet. Why is that? Her mom said as she came in.

Eomma, we're just going to spend a week in Korea, right? So why bring everything? She replied, pouring the tea for both of them. Her mom started to say something, but she didn't continue and sipped at her tea. They visited, and talked about her work, before they parted ways at the lobby of her condo. Her mom went home, while she went to her boss' office to pass her latest design before their early flight the next day.

NEXT DAY

Harabeoji, aren't you a bit tired? You've been this hyper since we left London. Hye Soo was concerned for her grandfather's health. They've just arrived at their private mansion in Korea.

Aigoo, my Hye Soo. Breathing Korea's air again is one of my wishes ever since I set foot in London. Her grandfather told her, making her roll her eyes at the sentimental moment of her grandfather.

Just let harabeoji do what he wants, Hye-ah. We both know he really loves our country. Minho, her older brother whispered. She sighed and helped him unload the car since her father and mother will guide and help her grandfather.

Good thing I'm independent oppa. Or else, you're the only one who's going unload the car. She murmured proudly to her brother.

Yeah, yeah. Thank you, my little sister! He mocked, loving their usual bickering. When suddenly, a stranger in a uniform, came and saluted to both of them, making them stop whatever they were doing.

Good morning, Mr. and Ms. Choi! Welcome back to South Korea! Please, just go in the house and we'll see to your belongings. The stranger said, as a few more uniformed men came.

Uhhh, thank you but we can manage unloading the car. Minho resumed his work while Hye Soo stared at the men. She smiled and slowly approached the leader, extending her arm for a handshake.

Annyeong! Choi Hye Soo imnida, and you are? she happily greeted. To her surprise, the leader didn't take her hand but instead, bowed 90 degrees.

We are at your service, Young Miss and Young Master! he said, while the others followed him. Minho grabbed her before leading her inside the mansion.

Oppa, what did they mean by that? She inquired, totally shocked.

They might be the mansion's servants. Let's go find Appa. He said, steering her in to the staircase.

LATER

Eomma, where are we going? Hye Soo asked her mom who was scanning her clothes for something appropriate.

We've been called to the palace, my dear. They're having a welcome party for us. Said her mom, as she threw some gowns and casual dresses everywhere.

Then why are you ransacking my closet mom? Shouldn't you be ransacking yours? She deadpanned, watching her mother get a little panicky since she didn't bring much clothes with her, much less gowns and casuals.

I need to check on what you're going to wear, and don't you order me around young woman. My gown is already laid out and waiting. Her mother replied with a stern voice. Hye Soo chuckled and let her ransack the closet which contained just enough clothes for a week.

I give up! You didn't bring anything appropriate! We're still fortunate that I can call someone to dress you up! Choi Sarang, her mom said exasperated. Hye Soo took a look at the clothes strewn about in her bed, while her mother dialed someone on the phone.

Eomma, I'm a fashion designer. Everything here is appropriate! She gestured to the dresses she brought from London. Her mom just shrugged her off and went out to talk to someone over the phone and left Hye Soo with her ran-by-a-tornado room.

Aish, jinjja! She ransacks my closet, and she leaves me with it so.... Argh!! Hye Soo threw her hands up in surrender. She started straightening her room when..

Yah, Hye-ah, what did you do? Minho came in, bringing some tea.

Oppa, it wasn't me. It was Eomma. She wanted to find something appropriate for me to wear at the welcome party at the palace. She said, picking a skirt off the chair.

Oh, you know eomma. She wants everything to be perfect. Minho calmly told her as he found the table underneath a pile of casuals.

Oh, I know her. But ransacking my closet and leaving my room like this is way too much! She snapped at him while trying to find her phone under all the mess.

Just relax, my dongsaeng. I'll help you straighten up this mess, alright? Minho cooed, giving her a hug.

Eomma's really spoiled between you and Appa. She gave him a punch in the chest. Minho just laughed and led her to the table to have some tea.

HYE-AH! YOUR DRESSES ARE HERE! Her mother came in excited, with a rack full of gowns and her assistant. Eomma, am I going to a wedding? She remarked sarcastically. Sarang shook her head and clapped her hands. Her assistant took Hye Soo in front and started to show her mom the dresses with her as the mannequin. A shake of the head indicated that it wasn't good enough for her. Minho just watched beside their mother, while nodding at every dress they tried.

Minho, get out! Their mother cried, knowing that he was trying to tease his younger sister all the while the dress galore was happening. Minho just grinned, gave her a kiss before going out the door after taking a photo of Hye Soo with his phone.

Concentrate, Hye-ah. You need to look perfect! Her mother fussed, as another dress was in front of her. T

hat's it! Go and try it Hye-ah! Ppalli! We need to have you ready before the party. Her mother was buzzing with excitement. Hye Soo sighed and let her mother and her assistant out of her room before plopping on her bed.

We just arrived and she's that excited to go to a party? Really. She's more like the younger one here. She murmured to herself, fond of her bonds with her mother.

[ At the WELCOME BALL ]

The Choi family arrived in a limousine. Although the party was announced at such a short notice, there was a crowd at one of the palace's big pavilions. As they entered, they were introduced by a crier.

Adviser Choi... He exclaimed in his loud voice as her grandfather, accompanied by a young nurse, entered the hall.

Hon. Ambassador Choi Siwon and Mrs. Choi Sarang! Their parents came next to their grandfather.

Young Master Choi Minho and Young Mistress Choi Hye Soo! They were introduced, gaining a loud applause from everybody.

Do we really need to be here, oppa?? She whispered, smiling at the crowd. Minho just gave her a glance and waved at some ladies.

You know we do. It's a party for us, and we're not going to attend? Ridiculous! He hissed, not taking his eyes from a certain girl.

I know what you're thinking oppa. And I think it isn't the food. She rolled her eyes. They proceeded to the front where their family was led by an usher to sit.

Welcome everybody! And welcome back Choi family! We're all so happy that Adviser Choi and the rest of the family arrived tonight. How about we cheer for them! A man, in his 40's raised his glass of champagne, leading everyone to do the same.

I'm guessing he's the king.. Hye Soo muttered, after taking a sip from her glass. Just then, she was jerked on to her feet by her oppa.

What?! She snapped, totally taken by surprise.

We're going to pay respect to the royal family. Now, stand straight! Minho snapped back. She sighed and did as she was told. And soon, they were on the way to the presidential table where the royal family was seated. Their grandfather was already beside the king, talking about various things.

Ah! Your Majesty, allow me to introduce to you my grandchildren. He proudly said as he beckoned them forward. Hye Soo looked towards their parents and received a nod. They stepped forward and made a courtesy to the royal family.

This is my handsome and wonderful grandson, Choi Minho. He's currently working as an ambassador. Their grandfather said, eyes twinkling with pride.

Ah, just like his father? That'll be great for our country. The king praised.

Of course! I've wanted them to serve our beloved country as well. Adviser Choi said.

And this is? The king gestured to Hye Soo. She gave another courtesy, and let her grandfather introduce her.

This is my darling, my precious Choi Hye Soo. She's a fashion designer in London. The Duchess of Cambridge and the Queen are just a few of her costumers. They love her designs that she always gets invited to balls and such. Boastful harabeoji said with head held high.

So this is the famous Hye Soo-sii! I've been hearing a lot of stories about you from your father. Anyway, why don't we all celebrate your coming back? The king said, snapping his fingers, a sign for the musicians to strike up a tune.

Minho-ssi, can you please my daughter, Princess Ahra on this dance? The king asked. Minho gave the king a bow and the princess a charming smile. It would be a great pleasure Your Majesty! Minho said, eyes sparkling with excitement and his arm extended to the princess. The princess chuckled and accepted, going on the dance floor almost immediately.

Such a magnet. Hye Soo muttered, looking at her oppa's expression when the king cleared his throat, turning Hye Soo's attention back to him.

Hye Soo-ssi, I have a perfect for you too. Prince Kyuhyun? The king turned his head to his son. Hye Soo was enchanted by the good looks of the prince. They curtsied to each other before they started towards the dance floor.

Are you sure that's her, Adviser Choi? She's so much prettier now, you think Prince Kyuhyun would recognize her? The king said, watching the couple dance a waltz.

Yes, Your majesty. That is her. I just hope that with our return, we can change the bad memories to good ones. The elderly Choi told the king as he did the same.