kai | baby's breath

exo | collection of au memes

thriving ivory; flowers for a ghost

 

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
 
 

The sun rays shone through the blinds and tickled his eyelashes, calling his eyes to open.  Almost exactly a year ago, that feeling would’ve made him groan.  But now it made him smile, knowing that another day would be spent with you.  

 

He ran his fingers through his soft black hair and proceeded to wake you up by showering you with hugs and butterfly kisses like every morning, only to be met with an empty bedside.  

 

He sat upright and peered around the floors to check if you fell off the bed.  He rummaged through the covers to make sure you weren’t hiding underneath them.  He then walked over to the bathroom only to find it empty.  A smile appeared on his face, maybe you were in the kitchen preparing breakfast already?

 

He quickly ran to the kitchen, only to find it vacant.  He was puzzled and couldn’t figure out where you were.  

 

”_____, it’s not fun anymore, come out wherever you’re hiding,” he whined.

 

As he was about to leave the kitchen, he saw the message board on the fridge where you used to leave sweet messages to each other.  However, this time it wasn’t sweet at all.  

 

“I’m sorry… Jongin.”

 

Jongin began to panic and ran towards the door while grabbing his jacket off the couch.  He was about to head out the door until he caught sight of the vase of flowers on the kitchen table.  

 

“Baby’s breath…” he whispered.

 

Jongin took one of her delicate hands in his and examined each finger carefully while leaning on her shoulder.  Her free hand responded by playing with his hair that tickled her cheeks.  

 

”_____,” he called.

 

“Mhm?” she mumbled.

“Why do you prefer baby’s breath over other flowers like roses?” he questioned.  

She smiled and chuckled softly at his question.

 

“Because they’re pure, modest, and beautiful; but most importantly, they stand for happiness.” she replied. 

 

Jongin smiled at her answer and snuggled deeper into the nook of her neck. 

 

He slowly walked over to the kitchen table and beside the vase was his favourite picture of the two of them with a quote scribbled on the bottom. 

 

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

 

He shut his eyes tightly and tried to suppress the pain and sorrow building up inside of him, knowing that the only part of her left in his home were the baby’s breath flowers.