Chapter 2

What does the leader do, when a member becomes distant...?

Sunggyu continued to stare at his dongsaeng. Hoya was curled up under a blanket that one of the managers must have brought him. It was strange seeing him 'sleep' in such a vulnerable position, unlike his normal spread eagle pose. It made him seem smaller than ever. Another pang...

He looked back to Hoya's face to see his eyes open, staring at nothing. The dark circles still visible under the layers of concealer. Sunggyu's brow furrowed again. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Dongwoo look up at him. Meeting his gaze, he flickered his eyes over to Hoya to signal Dongwoo. Looking back at his friend, he saw him gazing at Hoya, the same expression Sunggyu was wearing a few moments ago. He saw Dongwoo open his mouth to say something before he was interrupted by the manager.

"You have 10 minutes until it's time for the performance boys, good luck!" Manager Youngjun was running around smiling, encouraging everyone to do their best. Sunggyu chuckled as he saw his dongsaengs hyping themselves up by jumping around and shouting. Glancing at Hoya, he saw him sit up and rest his head on the back of the sofa, blinking slowly. His eyes flickered over to Sunggyu and looked away just as quickly. Almost as if he imagined it.

Dongwoo suddenly pounced on his Infinite H partner and pulled him up to join the circle the rest had formed. Waving Sunngyu over, they crowded together. He saw the small smile on Hoya's face and the tension he felt earlier melted away.

"Okay guys, you know the drill by now... Go out there, show them perfection, make the fans scream, and come home tired and happy. Got it?" Sunggyu smiled at s, heads bumping together in their own little world they had formed.

"Don't forget the win Gyu-hyung!" Woohyun shouted, practically shaking with excitement.

"Food, you forgot the food afterwards!" Sungyeol pouted about the lack of attention to the feast they always have.

"Yeah Hyung! You're paying right?" Sungjong chuckled as Sunggyu ruffled his hair.

"Yeah, yeah... I got it, make me broke again why don't ya? Okay then, on the count of three... 1.... 2.... 3... HWAITING!!" They shouted in unison as they threw their hands in the air. From then on it was just a blur of colours, joy and screaming.


The car was quiet on the way back to the dorm, the rain drumming a relaxing beat on the windows and roof. The faint sound of music from the members' earphones and the sound of wheels on tarmac a lullaby. Sunggyu sighed in content as he let his head rest on the cool window, a smile on his face.

The performance had been great, the atmosphere lively and exciting. But best of all, he saw Hoya smile. Not a fake smile... a real one. Admittedly not for him, or the fans, or anyone. But no matter how down Hoya is, performing always makes him happy. If only for a short while. Sunggyu turned to look at the members infront of him. Sungyeol had stolen his rightful seat saying he needed room to stretch his ridiculously y long legs (Sungyeol's words, not his), so Sunggyu was sat in the back of the car, wedged between the door and a sleeping Hoya. Only this time he was actually sleeping, with his head resting on Sunggyu's shoulder, where it had fallen after admitting defeat to his drooping eyelids.

For once in his life, Sunggyu was thankful of the long car ride between the performance stages and their dorm. He missed the closeness between them. He swears he will never take the little touches and skinship with Hoya for granted ever again. It isn't that they are always draped over each other like the maknae line, or give each other bear hugs when they see each other. He missed the friendly pats on the back when they meet. The not-entirely-necessary-whispering when on stage to share a joke with each other. The simple things.

Sunggyu looked at his friend's smooth relaxed forehead, and his entirely adorable face which suits his entirely adorable name, and he vows to himself that he is going to find out what is bothering his friend. And with that thought, he rests his head back against the cool window, as he feels an oncoming headache...