Chapter 3

Foolish Me

I like to call this chapter 'the twist'. It will be a glimpse of past Onho. I got no clue what to write for the next chapter yet.. yup, still lost. So give me feedback on these two updates. Tell me what you think! What you like about them, what you dislike, what you would want to see more of in this.. you can even ask me about anything that might have confused you. I want to know all that stuff. ;)

 

Chapter 3 

 

“Jinki hyung! Be careful!”

That was his only warning before he heard the whole shelf behind him collapse and as he turned around he could only watch with terrified eyes as a few boxes, books and other random things started to fall on him. He put his arms over his head trying to protect himself the best he could but he could still feel a few things hit him as they feel to the ground. He closed his eyes tight for what seemed to him an endless amount of time and he could only scream in pain when a particular sharp object hit his back hard. Darkness was the last thing he saw before he lost consciousness.

 

 

“.. are.. still.. maybe you.. Oh... god.. waking up...”

Jinki opened his eyes slowly and for a moment just stared at the white ceiling trying to collect his own thoughts about what happened. He remembered being in the school basement trying to find something but... He tried to sit up but instead just laid there on his side in pain because his body was screaming at him that wasn’t a good move. He could feel gentle hands guiding him back down trying to keep him still.

“Hyung... don’t move... The doc said your back was hit so it might be painful for a while.”

“Minho..?” He tried to blink his teary eyes to see his best friend watch him with a very worried face. His usual fiery expression nowhere in sight at the moment as he looked Jinki over making sure his friend was really okay now.

“Yes, hyung... It’s me. You scared the hell out of me.” Jinki tried to smile at him to tell him he was fine now. Sure he hurt a lot but he was alive and that was all that mattered. But the other just kept looking at him in a concerned way that was really starting to annoy him.

He opened his mouth to tell him properly that he was fine when the door opened and he saw his parents, both, enter the room with the doctor that was probably in charge of him. His mother ran to his side, touching his hand and his face softly, telling him how scared she was when she heard he had been injured in the school.

“I’m okay, no need to worry, mom.” He just smiled softly at here and from the corner of his eye he spotted his father talking with the doctor. He couldn’t hear what they were saying but he could feel his whole body tremble the moment his father turned and walked over to him.

He bit his lip when his father stopped just next to his mother to look down at him. “Are you ready to go?” He had crossed his arms over his chest and was just quietly watching him coldly. It was more than obvious he wasn’t happy about being called to the school, even if the reason was because his only son had been hurt.

“Dear! Can’t you see he is still in pain?” He glanced back at his mother and his eyes met Minho’s for a minute. He could feel himself blush in humiliation as he looked away because this whole situation wasn’t something he wanted anyone to ever witness.

“He is alive isn’t he? That’s all that matters. The doctor said he should be fine to go home now.”

Jinki avoided looking at his parents instead turning his gaze to the white walls around them.

“That wasn’t exactly what I said...” He heard an unknown voice echo in the room and he gathered it was probably the doctor. Even if he was close to dying, his father wouldn’t care, not anymore.

“Darling...” His loving mother was always like this. Trying to make things right, even when she knew it was a lost cause, because no one would ever be able to reason with his father after his mind was made up.

He glanced up when he felt Minho’s hand squeezing his hand in reassurance. Even though he knew his friend had no clue about what was going on, he still felt a little bit better to know Minho wasn’t judging him.

“It’s fine, mom. Let me just change.” He spoke out loud in a cheerful tone.

“See? We’ll wait outside.” His mother was dragged out before she could even protest. And suddenly it was just Minho and the doctor keeping him company. The doctor looked at him closely and after letting out a resigned sigh he just murmured he was fine enough to go but to call the hospital if he felt anything strange.

“Hyung... want me to help?” Jinki raised an eyebrow at Minho sudden question, more than a little confused when the other grabbed his clothes from a chair next to the bed and waved them at him.

“Wah! Minho!” He yelled loudly reaching for the clothes, holding them to his chest while hiding his blushing face in them. He heard both the doctor and Minho laugh and he put them down instead trying to put on a serious face. “I can change by myself, Minho-yah!” He tried to bow a little in his injured state to the doctor. “And thank you, sir, I’ll be sure to do that.”

“No need for that now... just be careful next time. If it wasn’t for your friend being there to protect you and then bring you here quickly, we don’t know what might have happened.” The doctor bowed to both of them and then left the room quietly.

Jinki stared at Minho for a minute considering the doctor’s words. Now that he was looking more closely at his friend he could see a bandage around his hand and his shirt had some dry blood on it.

“You... are YOU okay?” He grabbed the other by the hen of the shirt bringing him closer so he could look him over better.

“Hyung...” He felt Minho’s fingers brush his chin and he tilted his head up to look him in the eyes. “I was really scared.”

He knew he shouldn’t get himself involved with Minho. The way the younger was looking at him with bright teary eyes, touching his face as if he was afraid Jinki wasn’t really there, that he wasn’t real, it was like Minho had finally decided to stop playing the ‘friend’ game and he couldn’t let that happen.

They were best friends, only that. He would be lying if he said he didn’t know Minho liked him a lot more than as a friend and Jinki sometimes felt he might like him back in the same way.

However, this relationship between them would never last, because Minho was just like his father. He just hid it better, maybe because he was still young and cared about what the others whispered behind his back.

Minho knew how to pretend to be the perfect little student, the nice top star player in the school and he also knew how to get under Jinki’s skin until he felt he could depend on him no matter what.

It didn’t even matter if Jinki’s father liked Minho better than he liked his own son. That didn’t mean anything at all. But he still had to stop this before it got too far, before both of them would end with a broken heart that would scare them for life.

I need to stop this... Maybe it was time to stop the pretend game. Not the ‘friend’ game they had going on since their parents introduced them to one another when they were just five year old expecting them to become not friends, but allies in the future.

It was time to stop it all. No more late nights talking on the phone with Minho. No more waking up to Minho smiling at him from his bedroom doorway telling him he was on the way to practice so he had stopped by to wish him a good morning. No more escaping the prison that was his home past midnight to meet Minho by the river when he couldn’t sleep at night.

They would be better off without each other. Jinki wouldn’t need to hide anything else from Minho ever again and he wouldn’t need to lie to him when he asked him if he had been crying.

The most important thing was that he wouldn’t need to pretend to be okay when Minho would tell him how their fathers were slowly bringing him into the family business. He wouldn’t need to fake his smile when he couldn’t bring himself to tell his friend how much he hated that and that he wasn’t just afraid one day Minho wouldn’t come but that the darkness that was staining Minho bit by bit disgusted him beyond words.

Jinki could only gasp in surprise for a moment when the Minho suddenly leaned forward to kiss him in the lips lightly. Even though he knew this was wrong and that he would regret it later he still couldn’t bring himself to pull away instead surrendering completely to Minho love.