The First but the Last

The First but the Last

 

Lee Hong Gi, the cheerful vocalist of FT Island never held the microphone again.

 

He filled his heart with sorrow as he achingly watched his lover, Jaejin die from an incurable disease. He refuses to neither takemeals nor speak to the members about the mournful situation. The members grew really concern about him for every night, the whole album of FT Triple will be played wherein his Jaejin is the vocalist and he will burst out all of his melancholic emotions that can be heard throughout the whole dorm. He violently throws his music sheets all over his room but leaves Jaejin’s music sheets untouched. He never accepted the fact that he will never sing again with the accompaniment of a voice as calm and as sweet as Jaejin’s. 

 

FT Island was never called a band again. As the leader, Jonghun tried different stategies to bring Hong Gi up the stage and stick the band together again and of course, without the presence of Jaejin, but he can’t.

 

One night, Jonghun came up to a realization that he can’t contain himself anymore; he became full of Hong Gi’s foolishness and rushed to his room to end Hong Gi’s nonsensical actions. He crazily knocked on Hong gi’s door a million times but there was no answer. Feeling helpless, he sat behind the door and exploded out his gloomy sensibility, not knowing that Hong gi is also sitting behind the door, listening.

“Hong gi, I don’t want to see you like this. I understand how you feel but I don’t understand why it has to be Jaejin. Why not me? I feel so incompetent.”

He faced the blue-painted wall and punched it, making his hand numb and coated with gushing blood.  Tears started to invade his big, chestnut eyes. Having his ears wide open, Hong Gi felt burdened because he once liked Jonghun who is an amazing leader and a ‘night and shining armor’ material but instead chose Jaejin who is calm as a tranquil night and as sweet as a red bean bread.

Jonghun was surprised when Hong gi replied, “If I only knew that I’ll be hurt like this, I should’ve loved you.” He opened the door to let Jonghun come in.

 

Seeing him for the first time in weeks, Jonghun quickly approached him, opened his arms wide and brushed his body towards Hong Gi’s sickly body tightly. Hong Gi smiled accepting his hug, the hug from his first love. They felt the spark together. It felt like heaven, like a happy spring in the middle of a forlorn desert. The wind swiftly blows through their thin clothes and onto their gentle, meeting hearts.

They thought that it was a beginning for them, but it was rather the end.

Hong gi fell into Jonghun’s muscular arms, causing them to fall on the floor together. “What’s wrong, Hong gi? Wait, you’re hungry right? Wait here, I’ll get foo…” Hong gi interrupted to what Jonghun is saying. “It’s Jaejin!” he yelled lifelessly but with a big grin on his pale face. A cold breeze was felt throughout the room. “He wants me to come with him.” Hong Gi raised his arm on the direction of the window allowing the ray of sunshine to touch his thin, white hand. Jonghun grabbed that hand and caressed it. He felt Hong Gi’s flush and cold skin making a tight grip on his warm hands. Jonghun’s face moved closer to Hong gi’s hands. Hong gi can feel Jonghun’s intense breathing. “Hong gi, don’t go. Choose to be with me and I won’t make you cry.” Jonghun’s soft lips melted on Hong gi’s spritless hand. Shortly, the cold breeze disappeared.

 

His grip loosened. He slowly closed his dark eyes and smiled as he made his last blink. Jonghun hugged him with all his guts, trying to feel a heartbeat or a breath from him but there was nothing, nothing at all. Liters of tears were shedding fast as he helplessly watch another one of his friends bid his last farewell. The wind blew through the window that caused Hong gi’s paperwork to fall over them. In front of Jonghun, a picture of him and Hong gi lied, with their indescribable happy expressions.

 

 “Goodbye Hong gi, be happy with Jaejin. Saranghae,

 

… my first love.”